Reacher

Scary Stranger

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So are the books just filled with Reacher's workout routines?  On one hand he's not a gym rat but on the other readers are picturing him as one of the most powerfully strong men that dominated an entire sport.  Who wins in a fight Reacher or a Hurricane?

In the books Reacher never works out.  He's transient.  Most of his physical attributes are generic.  Huge frame.  Easily puts on muscle.  Classic mesomorph.  

33 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Too young for the character in the books.  Always envisioned someone like aleksandr karelin when I read them.  Older.  Grittier.  Tougher.  Big, physical, & dangerous, but not in the traditional bodybuilder way.

aleksandr-karelin-42d52e2b-6918-4e08-bda51WXFK037XL._AC_.jpg

I always thought he would look like Howie Long, not that Howie Long would be a choice to play him but the look anyway

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

In the books Reacher never works out.  He's transient.  Most of his physical attributes are generic.  Huge frame.  Easily puts on muscle.  Classic mesomorph.  

I never understood why the author only gave him a tiny 6-inch dick.  It's like he was trying to make the Reacher fanbase feel good about their dicks or something.

Let's face it, Reacher's physical description has almost become legendary amongst the Reacher fanbase, as evidenced by a major chunk of this thread, and numerous criticisms of the Tom Cruise movies, but in the books, to go and give a 6-foot-4 inch guy a tiny 6-inch dick always seemed like.... a dick move

rimshot GIF

44 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

and numerous criticisms of the Tom Cruise movies,

No one will be criticizing Cruise's adaptation of Blood Meridian. In the press release from the Church of Scientology he is quoted that he cast himself as Judge Holden as there was no one else he could picture playing that part after reading the book.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, henrygandorf said:

counterpoint - this is stupid and who cares and get over it.

Quit acting like this is some deranged fan reaction. This shit happens whenever a popular, well defined literary character is horribly miscast. 

We'd have the same threads if the next Hercule Poirot film starred Sinbad, or had Stephen Hawking as Jason Bourne.

14 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Quit acting like this is some deranged fan reaction. This shit happens whenever a popular, well defined literary character is horribly miscast. 

We'd have the same threads if the next Hercule Poirot film starred Sinbad, or had Stephen Hawking as Jason Bourne.

He's in the movie business apparently. Literary respect is a nasty term in that industry.  

45 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He's in the movie business apparently. Literary respect is a nasty term in that industry.  

because sinbad and stephen hawking are the same as tom cruise.  same same.

i'm aware of the criticism of the casting, and similar complaining happens to most books/book series.  the more beloved the books/characters, the more bitching.

what i feel completely comfortable making fun of are the large swaths of people who shit on the (first) movie because of casting, while most who had not read the books found it enjoyable, myself included.

but let's use real world examples, shall we?  the first reacher movie made what, $250mm?  another $150mm for part 2?  and now an amazon prime series comes out with seemingly spot-on casting, and most people here think it looks terrible.

so are the book fans happy?  would they rather see accurate physical casting and a shitty product that nobody likes and doesn't get renewed?  or the tom cruise movie which had a 50% hit rate, and obviously won't become some big franchise because of the ultimate shittiness of part 2 (i admit, i did not see it)?

i still am mystified by the fact that a bunch of 5'6" tom cruise sized dudes are repeatedly challenging this hulk to physical altercations.  worldstar!

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm aware of the criticism of the casting, and similar complaining happens to most books/book series.  the more beloved the books/characters, the more bitching.

what i feel completely comfortable making fun of are the large swaths of people who shit on the (first) movie because of casting, while most who had not read the books found it enjoyable, myself included.

but let's use real world examples, shall we?  the first reacher movie made what, $250mm?  another $150mm for part 2?  and now an amazon prime series comes out with seemingly spot-on casting, and most people here think it looks terrible.

so are the book fans happy?  would they rather see accurate physical casting and a shitty product that nobody likes and doesn't get renewed?  or the tom cruise movie which had a 50% hit rate, and obviously won't become some big franchise because of the ultimate shittiness of part 2 (i admit, i did not see it)?

i still am mystified by the fact that a bunch of 5'6" tom cruise sized dudes are repeatedly challenging this hulk to physical altercations.  worldstar!

You just can’t separate the character from the physicality he possesses in the reacher movie, it’s central to the whole storyline

cruise isn’t reacher he’s just some guy playing a  part named Reacher

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Stephen Hawking is closer to the Jason Bourne literary character than Tom Cruise is to the Jack Reacher one.  The fact that something makes a lot of money doesn't make it good.  UT football is a case in point.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Stephen Hawking is closer to the Jason Bourne literary character than Tom Cruise is to the Jack Reacher one.  The fact that something makes a lot of money doesn't make it good.  UT football is a case in point.

Mini vans made a shit load of money for Chrysler, and they for damn sure ain't good. The Bee Gees, and disco....

Cruise bought the rights to the Reacher series I thought ?  But maybe that's not correct if there's a Reacher series coming out now.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

22 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The fact that something makes a lot of money doesn't make it good.  UT football is a case in point.

except that the first movie is actually a good movie. 

like it or not, the movie business is a business and success is measured in money.  money means sequels and expansion and continuation of the property.  if the prime series isn't good (critically) and doesn't meet other metrics amzn uses, then it won't get picked up, and they'll stop making it.

i still find it humorous that people get so bent out of shape about it being tom cruise instead of some huge dude.  i'm not sure the reaction would be any different if they cast a one-legged teenage asian girl in the role.

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Cruise bought the rights to the Reacher series I thought ?  But maybe that's not correct if there's a Reacher series coming out now.

he did back whenever, but obviously that deal ended.  cruise and wagner were producers on the first two films but are not involved in the series.  those rights can be relinquished or expire and do so all the time.  also cruise/wagner deal is with viacom and this is on amazon, so it would seem they're no longer in business together.  i'm sure there are articles out there that i'm too lazy to google that explain the relationship better.

chris mcquarrie is involved with the new show though, so maybe there is hope (he wrote the first movie and some other good movies).  could just be a coincidence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Stephen Hawking is closer to the Jason Bourne literary character than Tom Cruise is to the Jack Reacher one.  

Stephen Hawking has pulled more tail than Tom Cruise ever has.

On 12/6/2021 at 6:17 PM, DanRydell said:

As someone who enjoys the admittedly largely mediocre and repetitive books, that looks fucking terrible.

Reacher said nothing.  The Lee Child solo written books are like oreos - one is not enough.  I enjoyed listening to the audiobooks.  Granted, the plot arcs are somehat predictable but the plot details are not.  I enjoy pompous asses getting their comeuppance and how Reacher's investigator experiences help him adapt.  Iand what book said he didn't have a schlong to mtach his stature?

Reacher said nothing.  The Lee Child solo written books are like oreos - one is not enough.  I enjoyed listening to the audiobooks.  Granted, the plot arcs are somehat predictable but the plot details are not.  I enjoy pompous asses getting their comeuppance and how Reacher's investigator experiences help him adapt.  Iand what book said he didn't have a schlong to mtach his stature?

The gay fan fic written in his head.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, RPM said:

Just finished Ep 1. It's good. Damn good.

Agree.  I was very pleasantly surprised after not really liking the Jack Ryan adaptation.

I really like the female lead too, which helps watching.  

The first crime scene was pretty intense.  And so far the fidelity to the books is pretty damn  good.