Reacher

Scary Stranger

there's a throwaway line in "the player" that i always think of, when cynthia stevenson is over at tim robbins place and she's shitting on a script where the two leads are "circus performers in their mid 60's" or something similar.  things get written and cast the way they do for a reason.

i understand jack reacher was written in a certain way, and i will watch this new series and hope for the best, but i enjoyed the first movie just fine with the biggest movie star of all time playing the titular role. 

my initial question to the bookfags was about the way reacher was treated in the movie.  a recurring theme was that people didn't take him seriously, were always fucking with him, putting him into situations where he was forced to defend himself physically.  that was arguably the best part of the movie.  when i asked if it was like that in the books, i didn't get a definitive "no", which begs the question - if reacher is 6'7" 325 or whatever the shit, then why would anyone ever fuck with him?

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

there's a throwaway line in "the player" that i always think of, when cynthia stevenson is over at tim robbins place and she's shitting on a script where the two leads are "circus performers in their mid 60's" or something similar.  things get written and cast the way they do for a reason.

i understand jack reacher was written in a certain way, and i will watch this new series and hope for the best, but i enjoyed the first movie just fine with the biggest movie star of all time playing the titular role. 

my initial question to the bookfags was about the way reacher was treated in the movie.  a recurring theme was that people didn't take him seriously, were always fucking with him, putting him into situations where he was forced to defend himself physically.  that was arguably the best part of the movie.  when i asked if it was like that in the books, i didn't get a definitive "no", which begs the question - if reacher is 6'7" 325 or whatever the shit, then why would anything ever fuck with him?

Never read the book but I was in one of the threads defending the 1st movie, which I also enjoyed.  The 2nd was dogshit though.  IIRC from the thread the book Reacher was more just a big dude not a roid freak.  If that's the case they probably went overboard with this casting.  Otherwise to your point why are a couple of 170lb thugs going to fuck with this guy.

12 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so i had only seen the tv teaser, just watched this trailer.  looks like the same story as the first movie.  aren't there a bunch of books?  couldn't they have picked one that is new to movie viewers?

Origin story.  Child wanted a reboot of things, didn't want Cruise involved.

https://preview.redd.it/giziuzfzv1521.png?auto=webp&s=b538ab201e0ff3398bbb310c7f8d633fd5ccaed3

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so i had only seen the tv teaser, just watched this trailer.  looks like the same story as the first movie aren't there a bunch of books?  couldn't they have picked one that is new to movie viewers?

all the stories are the same anyway

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

The thing that stood out to me about the trailer was how much the new Jack expessed emotion which was a stark contrast from how I understood the character from the book.  New Jack is a closer match physically.  Old Jack seems to be a truer match mentally.  Seems to be because I haven't seen it yet to really see how new Jack plays out.

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

The thing that stood out to me about the trailer was how much the new Jack expessed emotion which was a stark contrast from how I understood the character from the book.  New Jack is a closer match physically.  Old Jack seems to be a truer match mentally.  Seems to be because I haven't seen it yet to really see how new Jack plays out.

Old Jack was played by a robot invented by L. Ron Hubbard?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

counterpoint - this is stupid and who cares and get over it.

Then why not just choose a new source material. It's like everyone wanting to make James Bond into a black transvestite. Now that could certainly make for a very interesting spy but it would not be James Bond who Ian Fleming created and described in his books.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

Then why not just choose a new source material. It's like everyone wanting to make James Bond into a black transvestite. Now that could certainly make for a very interesting spy but it would not be James Bond who Ian Fleming created and described in his books.

not sure bond is a good comp for you here, since we have 60 years of successful movies and 5+ bonds.

i don't know who "everyone" is that you refer to, but would you be cool with idris elba playing bond?

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

but would you be cool with idris elba playing bond?

No, not really but it would be really cool if they killed off James Bond then had Idris Elba play his 007 replacement in new stories. Now that would interest me since they have already developed all the original stories anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

not sure bond is a good comp for you here, since we have 60 years of successful movies and 5+ bonds.

i don't know who "everyone" is that you refer to, but would you be cool with idris elba playing bond?

And they're all basically the same character, except Rodger Moore who camped it up, and caused a loss of some of the appeal of the Bond series in my opinion.  The characters being as described in the literature is not to be really fucked with too much.  

Cruise is entertaining, but there's nothing visceral, or compelling about his portrayal, and Reacher is a menacing hulk of a man, and that is part of the story line. Cruise could be just acting in another Mission Impossible feature .

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And they're all basically the same character, except Rodger Moore who camped it up, and caused a loss of some of the appeal of the Bond series in my opinion.  The characters being as described in the literature is not to be really fucked with too much.  

Cruise is entertaining, but there's nothing visceral, or compelling about his portrayal, and Reacher is a menacing hulk of a man, and that is part of the story line. Cruise could be just acting in another Mission Impossible feature .

well yeah, tom cruise will always be tom cruise.  he's never really hidden in a role, tropic thunder notwithstanding.  but this trailer tells me the stories are nearly identical, despite casting a menacing hulk of a man.

46 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

well yeah, tom cruise will always be tom cruise.  he's never really hidden in a role, tropic thunder notwithstanding.  but this trailer tells me the stories are nearly identical, despite casting a menacing hulk of a man.

And again visuals matter to people  who read the books, understand the story line, and the characters.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lee Child jerking off to how many of Reacher's muscles are bulging when he delivers a super punch is the least interesting part of a mediocre book series.

And all of the 6'3"+ decent actors in Hollywood are already signed with Marvel and above this.

So congrats, book snobs, you got the 4th best actor from Blue Mountain State to try his hand at wish fulfillment.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Lee Child jerking off to how many of Reacher's muscles are bulging when he delivers a super punch is the least interesting part of a mediocre book series.

And all of the 6'3"+ decent actors in Hollywood are already signed with Marvel and above this.

So congrats, book snobs, you got the 4th best actor from Blue Mountain State to try his hand at wish fulfillment.

Why are you so mad at the fans???