Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

I just watched four minutes of Terry’s Hudl and get what the big deal is.. he was finally tackled at that four minute mark because he went up and Moss’d a kid, otherwise all touchdowns. He’s mostly a WR (we’re already in on plenty of those) and some RB, and I actually like him as a ball carrier just as much or more than Simon (but I’m sure sure I’m alone on that one). He could probably be an H-back type. Didn’t see enough defense to have an opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

At 6'3 and 210, TE might be a bridge too far. Same for edge, unless homeboy is a Brian Orakpo starter kit. He play any LB in HS?

I seem to recall that when he first appeared on Surly, there was some talk of him playing safety.  At his current size, he could easily grow into LB.  And I'm not Katfidding him with MHP.

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I just watched four minutes of Terry’s Hudl and get what the big deal is.. he was finally tackled at that four minute mark because he went up and Moss’d a kid, otherwise all touchdowns. He’s mostly a WR (we’re already in on plenty of those) and some RB, and I actually like him as a ball carrier just as much or more than Simon (but I’m sure sure I’m alone on that one). He could probably be an H-back type. Didn’t see enough defense to have an opinion.

I love his frame/skill set as an H-back/TE type a la Amari Niblack or Evan Engram.

I also think that's an easier sell for him than playing defense.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

At 6'3 and 210, TE might be a bridge too far. Same for edge, unless homeboy is a Brian Orakpo starter kit. He play any LB in HS?

No. 'm an '09er. Played WR as freshman on varsity. QB since his sophomore year. It was Clemson early on till he got more exposure. Legit athlete. He can play multiple positions.

• Hook 'Em 2

Regarding Terry, he's not going to play WR in college. Everyone wants him at LB, which is a gamble with an ATH type. They often wind up lacking at the instinctual positions and busting out. I like him as a replacement for Sanders/Niblack or I would prefer he go elsewhere. As of right now, he's heading to Oregon so it likely doesn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding Terry, he's not going to play WR in college. Everyone wants him at LB, which is a gamble with an ATH type. They often wind up lacking at the instinctual positions and busting out. I like him as a replacement for Sanders/Niblack or I would prefer he go elsewhere. As of right now, he's heading to Oregon so it likely doesn't matter.

Yes, this morning Gerry said Terry is projected to get up to 235-245lbs.  He's not playing WR at that weight.

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

IMG_9951.thumb.jpeg.21360a05fa8975e90193e05a1c585036.jpegIMG_9952.thumb.jpeg.384f0dbaf03d1698d572e04af259154b.jpegIMG_9953.thumb.jpeg.42a639f68e5232e1526f12ac6285c30b.jpeg

DJ Sanders isn’t a “battle” in that it’s not even clear that he could commit to either program right now. He’s a project and his whole body will have to be reshaped by the S&C program. He’s the fourth guy in a four guy DT class. If Texas takes him, that means one of two things:

1) they’re getting the 3 big time guys they wanted 

or

2) light the cigarettes, because we’ve already been fucked. 

As it pertains to Brown and LSU, they’ll have to divert NIL from other places to make that work, even if Brown was seriously thinking about a flip. I worry more about other schools in his area than LSU. 

Regarding Battle, what do you guys think? I haven’t heard that Texas was seriously interested. I guess I’ll ask around. 

I feel like Terrell left some guys off of his list that Texas is seriously after in Florida, Georgia and California but maybe I’m mixing Edge prospects with DTs in my head. 

• Hook 'Em 5

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

DJ Sanders isn’t a “battle” in that it’s not even clear that he could commit to either program right now. He’s a project and his whole body will have to be reshaped by the S&C program. He’s the fourth guy in a four guy DT class. If Texas takes him, that means one of two things:

1) they’re getting the 3 big time guys they wanted 

or

2) light the cigarettes, because we’ve already been fucked. 

As it pertains to Brown and LSU, they’ll have to divert NIL from other places to make that work, even if Brown was seriously thinking about a flip. I worry more about other schools in his area than LSU. 

Regarding Battle, what do you guys think? I haven’t heard that Texas was seriously interested. I guess I’ll ask around. 

I feel like Terrell left some guys off of his list that Texas is seriously after in Florida, Georgia and California but maybe I’m mixing Edge prospects with DTs in my head. 

You are correct. naming a few - Josiah Sharma from Folsom, CA. Kevin Wynn, GA. Myron Charles, FL.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You are correct. naming a few - Josiah Sharma from Folsom, CA. Kevin Wynn, GA. Myron Charles, FL.

I have heard that Sharma and Charles specifically are pretty high priority guys. I am not sure how much traction we have with Wynn. June OVs should tell the story for these guys I would imagine. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas feels good about landing at least 3 (Brown being one of them) of the national badasses. Seems like scoring more than that is either improbable or unwanted (PT issues, NIL management, etc.) and they might consider room for a 4th as a project. Might. Getting 3 of the big names is mostly a numbers game - bust ass with 8-10 guys, budget that into the total NIL mix, and land 30% of them. Frankly, if you hang on to Brown and close Williams, it comes down getting 1 of like 7-8 targets. There's really good reason to feel positive about landing a great DT class when you consider it all.

Have you heard any insights into Kenny Baker so far on the trail from your point of view?

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Have you heard any insights into Kenny Baker so far on the trail from your point of view?

I'm from Missouri on the guy, personally. Let's see his output from his charges during the season and then let's see how he closes on his targets in recruiting and the portal. 

However, anyone covering the program or around the program seems to really like him as a hire. There's a belief that he's evaluated and targeted the right guys and that his players really like playing for him. He's got great connections in the SE and those are expected to bear fruit this cycle in big ways. "We'll see" said the zen master.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Saw on another site that IT was saying Sharma's mom was moving to the DFW area next fall.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 4

This is shaping up to be like one of those recent Ohio State WR classes where we're basically guaranteed to have multiple 1st round WRs on the roster each year. Dakorien Moore and Jaime Ffrench would be absolutely obscene. Combine with junior Arch and Johntay Cook, sophomore Wingo... holy hell. 

This is shaping up to be like one of those recent Ohio State WR classes where we're basically guaranteed to have multiple 1st round WRs on the roster each year. Dakorien Moore and Jaime Ffrench would be absolutely obscene. Combine with junior Arch and Johntay Cook, sophomore Wingo... holy hell. 
You forgot DeAndre Moore. Embarrassment of riches in the WR room.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I consider it a small win that CTJ hasn't named the poor guy Kenny JAG-ker yet. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'm from Missouri on the guy, personally. Let's see his output from his charges during the season and then let's see how he closes on his targets in recruiting and the portal. 

However, anyone covering the program or around the program seems to really like him as a hire. There's a belief that he's evaluated and targeted the right guys and that his players really like playing for him. He's got great connections in the SE and those are expected to bear fruit this cycle in big ways. "We'll see" said the zen master.

Isn’t Sark a guy who inserts himself as needed, in the recruiting? Like, he’s not the “hands off” manager in that aspect, unless you have proven (like Banks? Choice?) that you don’t need his help?

Anyone seen the Coleman duo play/hudl?  Thoughts?  Flood obviously loves them, would love to see us land a stud interior guy.  We seem to be doing outstanding with OT's.  Mills may be that guy, way underrated IMO.  I know rankings are always a crapshoot when it comes to OL (ie Foster and Fatheree).

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas feels good about landing at least 3 (Brown being one of them) of the national badasses. Seems like scoring more than that is either improbable or unwanted (PT issues, NIL management, etc.) and they might consider room for a 4th as a project. Might. Getting 3 of the big names is mostly a numbers game - bust ass with 8-10 guys, budget that into the total NIL mix, and land 30% of them. Frankly, if you hang on to Brown and close Williams, it comes down getting 1 of like 7-8 targets. There's really good reason to feel positive about landing a great DT class when you consider it all.

We got 3 transfer on the DL, correct? I don't know if all those guys are seniors, but is it safe to assume that they are all one and done? I think at best they are all day 2-3 picks. And in the end, now that I think about it, it probably doesn't have any effect on how many we take this year. I think no matter what we are going to have to sign 3 more through the portal next year. Broughton and Collins will be gone and at the very least we will have to portal for depth.

52 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anyone seen the Coleman duo play/hudl?  Thoughts?  Flood obviously loves them, would love to see us land a stud interior guy.  We seem to be doing outstanding with OT's.  Mills may be that guy, way underrated IMO.  I know rankings are always a crapshoot when it comes to OL (ie Foster and Fatheree).

Jordan is easily the better of the two brother prospects. He absolutely detonates dudes when he makes contact and is more mobile than his smaller brother who plays OT. I think Mills has more athleticism as a whole, but Coleman is bigger. Ideally you take both of those guys as your two IOL takes, but if you are going to force me to choose I might go with Coleman as a better scheme fit considering Mills won't really get a shot at OT with the guys we have in the pipeline. 

9 hours ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

And Kelshaun Johnson to just blow the top off the defense.

• Hook 'Em 1