The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Question for shaggy firearms lawyers and experts:

I accidentally left a handgun in a hotel room in a mid-size city in Texas this morning. Completely my fault and careless of me.  The front desk called me later and said the maid had found it and they had turned it over to the police. 

I called the police and they said I could come retrieve it from the property room Monday through Friday. He didn’t seem like it was that big a deal. 

Is it a big deal and should I be worried? Should I find a lawyer before I go back? I have a CCL and I know how careless this was. I’ll accept the consequences. Just don’t know how anxious I should be about this and don’t want to be surprised when I get there next week. 

Thanks. 

ps - Ms CL is a lawyer and she’s going to give me all kinds of shit about this when she finds out. 

15 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I accidentally left a handgun in a hotel room in a mid-size city in Texas this morning. Completely my fault and careless of me.  The front desk called me later and said the maid had found it and they had turned it over to the police. 

I called the police and they said I could come retrieve it from the property room Monday through Friday. He didn’t seem like it was that big a deal. 

Is it a big deal and should I be worried? Should I find a lawyer before I go back? I have a CCL and I know how careless this was. I’ll accept the consequences. Just don’t know how anxious I should be about this and don’t want to be surprised when I get there next week. 

Thanks. 

ps - Ms CL is a lawyer and she’s going to give me all kinds of shit about this when she finds out. 

Not a big deal unless something happened, like accessible to a child. I assume with a LTC you are not in any way a prohibited person under state or federal law.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Not a big deal unless something happened, like accessible to a child. I assume with a LTC you are not in any way a prohibited person under state or federal law.

No, clean record, all that good stuff. Perfectly legal and I just had it renewed last fall  

Gun was in the hotel room all weekend - I was by myself - and unless the maid brought her kid to work, shouldn’t be an issue there. Definitely didn’t leave it on a bench outside or anything like that. 

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Thanks. 

I appreciate you acknowledging that it was careless, but I have questions - did you have it in the safe at least? Not judging, I’m just trying to understand why you had it if it wasn’t on your person.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

On 1/19/2023 at 8:05 PM, Armybrat said:

Yes they do…

https://www.saddlerockarmory.com/product-category/outdoor-lifestyle-products

BTW - their FFL fee recently increased to $40.

Do you like Saddle Rock? I know the owner of that place pretty well, but I’ve never been because it’s too far from my house.

Anybody know what Academy is charging for xfers?

32 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Do you like Saddle Rock? I know the owner of that place pretty well, but I’ve never been because it’s too far from my house.

Yes I do - see post #8197 on the previous page.

When they first opened I bought this Ruger Super Blackhawk (top in photo below) from them. Pretty good deal, good staff.

Have done several FFL transfers at Saddle Rock in the past year after GT raised their transfer fee. Plus it is only 5 minutes from my house.

3E0B9BFA-8085-41F6-8B1F-3E3B4D308B81.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I appreciate you acknowledging that it was careless, but I have questions - did you have it in the safe at least? Not judging, I’m just trying to understand why you had it if it wasn’t on your person.

Normally keep it concealed in the car and brought it inside because I didn’t want it to be stolen. Took it out of my backpack and put it down on the dresser. It was in a holster and unloaded. This particular hotel does not have safes in the room. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Normally keep it concealed in the car and brought it inside because I didn’t want it to be stolen. Took it out of my backpack and put it down on the dresser. It was in a holster and unloaded. This particular hotel does not have safes in the room. 

What kind of roach motel doesn’t have a safe in the room?
  • Haha 1

Picked up a Savage 24 (22mag/20ga) at auction this week. 

I’ve been wanting one for a while- no particular reason other than- gun.

Their avg. price has been going up a lot so I had to jump in now.  Should be a cool little gun to haul around.

Anyone have one? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Thanks. 

I don't carry a gun, except on very rare occasions, like in the wilderness.   GF and I were headed to Utah on a wilderness hiking trip a few years ago, and I took a handgun.  We did an overnight in vegas, and, I was worried about leaving the gun in my truck in the parking structure, so i put it in my bag, took it up to the room, and immediately put it in the room safe, where I forgot about it, checked out, and left.  

I realized what I had done about an hour north of Vegas.  We immediately called the hotel, hauled ass back there, and the gun was still in the safe.  Scared the shit out of me. 

On 12/30/2022 at 11:55 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm generally left handed, but I shoot rifles right handed and with pistols I’m equally mediocre in either hand. In basketball I dribble with my right hand and mostly shoot left. People are weird.

i’m not convinced eye dominance is as crucial as ergonomic comfort with a rifle except at very elite levels of performance. Lots of left handed people shoot rifle right handed very well, simply by learning to shoot that way.

tumblr_o80ll4sxaX1r7jy7zo1_400.gifv

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Well, an Austin cop left his loaded duty pistol on a sink in a public restroom at Walnut Creek Park a couple of years ago - and it was found by a kid IIRC who reported it.

Nuthin’ came of that.

It happens at the US Capitol Building restrooms and nothing happens, either. /No CR 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

Where is the best place to start the can process? Do you buy the can first and it goes in jail while the paperwork is processed? I’m sure this has been discussed but rules seem to change frequently. TIA!

Nearest place to you that has a Silencer Shop kiosk. Was very fast. Jail time likely 6-9 months

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Nope. I was told here not too. Not gonna do it. Not gonna….sure is tempting tho

Yeah but you know a shit ton are gonna file as soon as it gets registered.

It’s gonna be a shitstorm between the mass influx, the atf running the backgrounds now and the 88day auto-rejection….

Anyone trying to do anything else NFA is gonna get hosed.

The brace thing is so stupid. And the irony of course is that the prohibition against SBRs is the regulatory detritus of trying to prevent workarounds of the handgun bana in early drafts of the NFA. The handgun ban didn’t make it, but the SBR prohibition did. 

Much like the equally silly controls around cans, the SBR rules would seem to be low hanging fruit that could be repealed as part of any common sense reform package, but we’d rather discredit ourselves fighting to protect the rights of wife beaters and the mentally ill to own guns than to make our lives convenient. 
But hey, at least we’re fueling a culture war and keeping lobbyists rich!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The brace thing is so stupid. And the irony of course is that the prohibition against SBRs is the regulatory detritus of trying to prevent workarounds of the handgun bana in early drafts of the NFA. The handgun ban didn’t make it, but the SBR prohibition did. 

Much like the equally silly controls around cans, the SBR rules would seem to be low hanging fruit that could be repealed as part of any common sense reform package, but we’d rather discredit ourselves fighting to protect the rights of wife beaters and the mentally ill to own guns than to make our lives convenient. 
But hey, at least we’re fueling a culture war and keeping lobbyists rich!

There's some really big brained discussion going on in the shithole right now, if you feel like hammering your dick with a hammer has lost it's allure.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:01 PM, RMac5 said:

Where is the best place to start the can process? Do you buy the can first and it goes in jail while the paperwork is processed? I’m sure this has been discussed but rules seem to change frequently. TIA!

If you can swing it, or have the need, I'd recommend not doing them one at a time.  That wait is...not fun. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There's some really big brained discussion going on in the shithole right now, if you feel like hammering your dick with a hammer has lost it's allure.  

It’s just amazing to me watching people lose their minds over imaginary slippery slopes, but you just shrug your shoulders about the brace ban, which is actually very problematic and arbitrary. 
Like right now, with a new Republican majority in the house and a White House desperate to show progress on mass shootings there are deals to be had. But we aren’t interested. We’ll happily wait 6-9 months for cans and now braces, because we’ve all been trained to give up things with real value to protect nonsense from imaginary monsters. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

If you can swing it, or have the need, I'd recommend not doing them one at a time.  That wait is...not fun. 

Yeah I thought about that too. I’m not really an AR guy, just bought a couple while I was still able. I spoke with a guy yesterday about cans and timeframe. Obviously you can spend as much as you want but middle of the road can and other fees looks to be about $850-$1000, and 8-9 months, that sound about right? Would be putting them on a 5.56 and a 300BO.

3 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Yeah I thought about that too. I’m not really an AR guy, just bought a couple while I was still able. I spoke with a guy yesterday about cans and timeframe. Obviously you can spend as much as you want but middle of the road can and other fees looks to be about $850-$1000, and 8-9 months, that sound about right? Would be putting them on a 5.56 and a 300BO.

Mas o memos.  You can cover everything with 45, .30, .22.   But yeah, quality stuff that’s non Ti is right in that range. Few hundred more for super high end stuff that’s only negligibly better in performance.  Hard to go wrong with the big brands, more about preferred attachment at that point.  

I saw where the ATF said that if you file a Form 1 for a braced gun you have to wait until you get the stamp to put an actual stock on it. But the whole reason you need a stamp is because it was actually an SBR the whole time because the brace is really a stock...

Hmmmm- not what we heard. I’ll check.

No need for a dedicated 556 can.

Alaskan 360 and/or new Titanium version should be first on your list.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:42 PM, Gil Bang said:

I don't carry a gun, except on very rare occasions, like in the wilderness.   GF and I were headed to Utah on a wilderness hiking trip a few years ago, and I took a handgun.  We did an overnight in vegas, and, I was worried about leaving the gun in my truck in the parking structure, so i put it in my bag, took it up to the room, and immediately put it in the room safe, where I forgot about it, checked out, and left.  

I realized what I had done about an hour north of Vegas.  We immediately called the hotel, hauled ass back there, and the gun was still in the safe.  Scared the shit out of me. 

I'm going to bet that when you called the hotel, you told them that you had left something in the safe but didn't mention that it was a firearm.  Amirite or amirite?  

I guess the appeal to the Ti is the weight, or lack of?

Pretty much, it also changes the tone some.

One of the other factors is always use, some cans are built like tanks (Deadair Sandman line) but they trade off dbs and tone when compared to a less physically robust can of equal value and length/caliber (Deadair nomad)

I have 2 sandman(K and S) and if I get a 3rd it’ll probably be a primal in .46cal just in case I lose brain cells and buy into the 8.6 blackout hype
  • Hook 'Em 2

Pretty much, it also changes the tone some.

One of the other factors is always use, some cans are built like tanks (Deadair Sandman line) but they trade off dbs and tone when compared to a less physically robust can of equal value and length/caliber (Deadair nomad)

I have 2 sandman(K and S) and if I get a 3rd it’ll probably be a primal in .46cal just in case I lose brain cells and buy into the 8.6 blackout hype

I’m interested in playing a game of canjam in the 7.62 variety. Need something reliable and sturdy but don’t need top of the line.

Would you also recommend the Sandman for that purpose?

Talk to me about sights.  I recently got a SA Saint 556 that came with flip up open sights.  I'm starting to look around for something that would be good for quick shots inside 100 yards most of the time.  Riding around/stalking for hogs and being able to get on them quick without struggling to pick them up in the scope.

Would something like this be good?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-x-compact-red-dot-sight-1x20mm-2-moa-red-dot-0-5-moa-adj-aaa-m1.html

I've been shooting deer rifles my whole life but am a noob on this stuff so any input would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I’m interested in playing a game of canjam in the 7.62 variety. Need something reliable and sturdy but don’t need top of the line.

Would you also recommend the Sandman for that purpose?

That’s a very good description of the sandman imo.  They are quality and reliable.  

• Like 1