The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 3/20/2023 at 9:23 AM, BabaYaga said:

There's little innovation in the bolt-game for rifles.  Manufacturers have played around with synthetic stock/barrel options, but the only real innovation options are the calibers.  Before the CM craze it was the 7-08, which under 500yds, outperforms the 6.5 in almost every way.

Weatherby figured this out early

What's funny is the venerable .260 Rem is still the king that nobody talks about.

6.5 PRC is the Answer.  Fight me.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Parliament said:

6.5 PRC is the Answer.  Fight me.

It's a "juicier" 6.5.  Larger case.  More powder.  Higher velocity.  Flatter trajectory.  Superior performance on the margins.  For the vast majority of users, the differences are negligible.  

The PRC is closer to the mag/SAUM family where many of the old dogs live like the .264 Win Mag which has a larger cartridge capacity than the PRC.  

The CM is so popular because of it's performance, but it's also softer on hunters to shoot well.  

On 3/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, RMac5 said:

If you could seriously only have one caliber of rifle and finding ammo wasn’t an issue what would it be? Mine would be the 25-06, I love that round.

Great round.  As the .270 is a necked down 30-06, the '06 is a necked down .270.  Started with the moniker of a "wildcat" round.  If you handload, you can get damn close to a .257 wby.

In Texas, I'd say .243.  Our deer aren't too big, it's flat and fast and you can load lower grains and have a hell of a varmint gun.  To answer the question, I might say with ONE caliber for almost every scenario, I'd go 7-08.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/25/2023 at 7:47 PM, RMac5 said:

If you could seriously only have one caliber of rifle and finding ammo wasn’t an issue what would it be? Mine would be the 25-06, I love that round.

All the answers so far have been good, but if Ammo sourcing and cost are no object, I'm going with a .375 H&H. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

Love all the answers, biggest punch in my arsenal is the 45-70, it’s a beast for sure. I have the Marlin in S/S, prolly had it 15 years, crazy what they are bringing now $$$! That 45-70 pistol is badass!

Edited by RMac5

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Well, as long as you guys are hauling out the big hardware…..

D16A07B7-45E7-4129-85DB-937F7AC6972C.jpeg

In college, I used to work for a guy that carried a derringer in his boot.  Then one day, we were working on an old slate roof and he almost fell off.  Of course, the only part of his body I could grab from the ladder was his lower legs, to stop his slide.  Surprised nobody fell off the roof or got shot.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Heh, those old style derringers like mine only have a “safety” notch when the hammer is cocked a little bit. 
Supposedly it is easy to break that notch so the gun fires.

btw - mine is a .22 Short made for Colt by a small company in the 1960s. It is a reproduction of a 19th Century Colt derringer which was a .41 caliber.
My Dad bought it at a gun show 50 years ago for $20. When he brought it home, Mom grabbed it saying “That’s my gun!”. 😄

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'd also like to say, as much as I boldly stick with my answer above (257 wby and 243), if I hunted West at all, it would be a 300win.    Def big for does in Texas, but if you start putting Elk/Bear/Sheep etc into the equation (which would be awesome ;)) then that's what I'd grab.  Could even do a good chunk of Africa, NZ, etc as well.   But I like to collect, so this is not a problem I have.  Whynotboth.gif   Now which ones to add priority to new glass...that's a real issue I do have. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If only ONE caliber, then the 30-06 for me.  As a handloader, it works great.  I loaded the 110 grain Barnes TTSX at 3500 fps for years.  Shot a couple hundred deer with that load.  180 grain Sierra Pro Hunter at 2850 fps works wonders for stag, elk, Wildes, zebra, black bear.   180 grain Swift a-frame at 2800 fps works great on giraffe, eland, oryx and the occasional braining of a buffalo.  240 grain Woodleigh soft point at 2400 fps, just because.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I finally got around to cutting out a new foam surround for my rawfle.   Turned out OK.   Carrying the heavy-assed thing in a soft case caused the bull barrel to wear a hole in the end of the case.   

This is what Sundays at camp are good for.  

6BEC4DE3-D0BD-4FAD-A82D-F3A404287206.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 5:55 PM, williemackgarza said:

61dc90a988e21557b1bad000e7df2b51.jpg
Picked up this used Proof Glacier Ti .28 Nosler. The Nightforce is gone. Waiting on a Swaro Z8i to come in. Bought it from the guys at Evolved Ballistics in Marble Falls. The owner is a veteran and pretty damn cool. Look em up if you need proof barrells, guns or other stuff, check their website.

Nice little starter gun......;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Picked up this used Proof Glacier Ti .28 Nosler. The Nightforce is gone. Waiting on a Swaro Z8i to come in. Bought it from the guys at Evolved Ballistics in Marble Falls. The owner is a veteran and pretty damn cool. Look em up if you need proof barrells, guns or other stuff, check their website.

Friend of mine shoots Fierce in 28 Nosler.  You are going to like it.  A lot.    That proof is an obvious step up.  Jelly over here. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Yo, I like you so if you feel like stepping up I got a Savage .243 I'll trade you,  square biz

On 3/1/2023 at 2:53 PM, Anastasis said:

So is the brace registration rule just basically a free tax stamp for anyone that declares that they have a brace on the lower? So I just go and buy a cheap brace and get a free $200 tax stamp. Am I understanding this correctly. 

@Handcruser, thoughts on the above? Looks like they have extended the submission period for the free form 1s. 

[mention=214]Handcruser[/mention], thoughts on the above? Looks like they have extended the submission period for the free form 1s. 

So you have a built rig under 16”? If so you should already have a brace on it. If you don’t then whatever you do don’t take a picture of it. Put a cheap brace on it and get a free tax stamp if you so desire.

So my omega 36M is probably 3-4 months out. Figure it is time to buy another one on the stagger.
Someone talk me out of buying the integrally suppressed 10/22 takedown.

I can’t.
But I’d rather have a Bergara with a can. Probably cheaper all around. The Bergara with cf barrel in semi is fucking sick.

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

So you have a built rig under 16”? If so you should already have a brace on it. If you don’t then whatever you do don’t take a picture of it. Put a cheap brace on it and get a free tax stamp if you so desire.

I would assume that he has already constructed his own brace well before the announcement out of duct tape, maybe some bits of foam, and whatever else was at hand well before the rule was finalized.

• Like 1