The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, 83Horn said:

This is so true.  I have a mini-14 I bought in 1994, that for the life of me, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with.  Long story short, in looking for a way to mount a scope on this rifle, I stumbled upon a rail system from Amega Mounts that replaces the stock hand guard.  Part of this replacement kit is a small, steel barrel brace that clamps over barrel, and stabilizes it.  After installing this thing, the improvement in accuracy was remarkable.  In stock configuration, I couldn't reliably hit a target at 100 yards...I mean completely miss the paper.  Now, all shots hit within the black at 100 yards.  It's still no tack driver, but accuracy is massively improved, and I am confident I can reliably hit whatever I need to at any range.

http://www.amegamounts.com/product_pages/rugerMini14.php

I bought an Accu-Strut for my early 1980s Mini 14. That cured the wayward groups at 100 yards. Good enough for government work.

https://accu-strut.com/main-page.html

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

you's trollin

I am not. They are not good firearms. They are sturdy and reliable but they are clunky, inaccurate, and poorly crafted. 

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

One of the reasons I'm a Taurus guy.

Taurus handguns are literally garbage. They couldn't even properly manufacture the designs they stole from Beretta.

18 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

They are sturdy and reliable but they are clunky, inaccurate, and poorly crafted. 

I disagree at least about the Mini-14. A lot to be said for sturdy and reliable considering that the guns they are usually compared to are usually far lower quality, shit where they eat, and are carrying more aftermarket bullshit than a mini truck at a SEMA show.  It's not a precision rifle by any means, but it does what it needs to do without fail. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I disagree at least about the Mini-14. A lot to be said for sturdy and reliable considering that the guns they are usually compared to are usually far lower quality, shit where they eat, and are carrying more aftermarket bullshit than a mini truck at a SEMA show.  It's not a precision rifle by any means, but it does what it needs to do without fail. 

That's fair, I guess. If you just want it to make loud noises toward a target without jamming, it's fine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Just saw where Henry Repeating Arms are now selling revolver handguns, Henry Big Boy Revolver .357 Mag/.38 Special double action.  They look pretty nice, but I'm not sure about the notch in the bottom of the barrel to make room for the extractor rod. Being from Henry, I'm sure they're pretty high quality for those who are a fan of revolvers.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/henry-repeating-arms-reveals-first-revolvers-360-buckhammer-rifles-and-more-301796027.html

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I think Ruger makes some things very well. With the exception of the Mark series .22s, none of those things are semiautomatic handguns. In fact, I'd go so far as to say only the 10/22 and the Mark series are the ONLY semiautomatic firearms made by Ruger that are not garbage. 

Not true.  I've had a Ruger 57 for a couple years, and never had a problem with it.  Sweet shooter.

Taurus handguns are literally garbage. They couldn't even properly manufacture the designs they stole from Beretta.
Man, if I had a $1 for every time somebody yacked on my Taurus, I could buy an HK .

I've been lucky, I guess. Bought 3 semi's in the last 5 years. And have 2 revolvers for over 20 years. None of the recall issues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hear ya.

Folks say the same about Radical Firearms ARs. They had a bad rep for a couple of years after they were introduced, but since then many owners swear they have straightened their act out and are a good product nowadays.
I bought one last fall and its fit & finish is as good as the S&W and Colt ARs that I gave my sons, IMO. 
I have not fired mine yet, so I can’t say how well this particular one functions & shoots.

45 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Hey y’all want to feel like giant morons and chumps? The NRA leadership forum is airing live on C-Span right now.

Seriously, if we can’t have the 1970s-80s  NRA back can we have something else? Are there better options?

I wish there was.  All ears if someone knows.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Hey y’all want to feel like giant morons and chumps? The NRA leadership forum is airing live on C-Span right now.

Seriously, if we can’t have the 1970s-80s  NRA back can we have something else? Are there better options?

GOA of course. 
(Gun Owners of America)

They have been doing the heavy lifting in recent years while the NRA & WLP have been operating like Looch and Texaggy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Man, if I had a $1 for every time somebody yacked on my Taurus, I could buy an HK emoji3.png.

I've been lucky, I guess. Bought 3 semi's in the last 5 years. And have 2 revolvers for over 20 years. None of the recall issues.

Speaking of HK, picked up a new EDC for myself last week.  Will replace my P2000sk I had been carrying....

PXL_20230407_185944233.thumb.jpg.be6a3e401b6236c18fd8bfc495ea69d9.jpg

Edited by speed817
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

politics aside, LaPierre is a giant cunt, and uses the donations of the schumcks to outfit himself in fancy duds from Rodeo Drive.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

He is a yankee.

Fuck the fuck yes he is.  A bunch of toothless hillbillies finance his fancy dinners at Nobu, Daniel, and Jean-Georges, and his shopping sprees on Rodeo Drive and Saville Row.  The motherfucker's closet is bigger than a lot of NRA life member's doublewides. 

Much like somebody else I can think of, he wouldn't be caught dead in the room with the people that send him money.  But what the fuck Cleetus, KEEP SENDING A CHUNK OF YOUR SSDI CHECK TO THE N R FUCKING A

Edited by Gil Bang

56 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

NRA was founded by Yankees that were appalled at how bad the Union soldiers were with their shooting skills during the Civil War.  Marksmanship classes were the principal reason for the creation of the NRA.  

Yeah well, these days they are in the business of collecting money and buying senators. They don't give a single fuck about marksmanship.  In fact, they prefer that you be a bad shot, so you will need to buy more ammo.

Edited by Gil Bang

Anyone shooting a Ruger RPR?

I've agreed to purchase a cache of guns from an older friend who isn't shooting anymore and the RPR / chassis style is the only one that's not already in my wheelhouse.  I've never been a long range bench shooter but I'm intrigued.

Has a 15-60x Vortex Golden Eagle on it and I'm curious what to expect.  Any recommended upgrades?  Curious on any hacks to properly adjust the stock to my best shooting settings.  I've never used an adjustable stock for precision shooting and am not sure if it is by feel alone, or if there may be a science to it for best performance.

What caliber? I have it in .308 and 6.5cm, and I've put at least 10x the amount of brass through the 6.5 than the .308, but I like them both. It's not difficult, just set with what's comfortable. Once you've found a comfortable position put a few down the tube and see how that feels. The only adjustments I made were on my bipod and that was it.

I will never tell my wife this, but if we're being honest here I haven't used either one to kill anything yet. I don't have the time to devote to a big game hunt. When I get the chance during deer season it's a hauling ass trip to the farm or off my back porch, neither of which ever necessitates a shot over 300-ish yards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Anyone shooting a Ruger RPR?

I've agreed to purchase a cache of guns from an older friend who isn't shooting anymore and the RPR / chassis style is the only one that's not already in my wheelhouse.  I've never been a long range bench shooter but I'm intrigued.

Has a 15-60x Vortex Golden Eagle on it and I'm curious what to expect.  Any recommended upgrades?  Curious on any hacks to properly adjust the stock to my best shooting settings.  I've never used an adjustable stock for precision shooting and am not sure if it is by feel alone, or if there may be a science to it for best performance.

Everything I've heard is positive.  Great platform.  Annoyingly accurate to the point of being boring.  I think they can compete out of the box with any other long distance platforms on the market.  They can be pricey, but there are numerous classes out there for long distance shooting you can explore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

What caliber? I have it in .308 and 6.5cm, and I've put at least 10x the amount of brass through the 6.5 than the .308, but I like them both. It's not difficult, just set with what's comfortable. Once you've found a comfortable position put a few down the tube and see how that feels. The only adjustments I made were on my bipod and that was it.

I will never tell my wife this, but if we're being honest here I haven't used either one to kill anything yet. I don't have the time to devote to a big game hunt. When I get the chance during deer season it's a hauling ass trip to the farm or off my back porch, neither of which ever necessitates a shot over 300-ish yards. 

6.5cm.  That cartridge is already in my stable so that'll make it easy.

I've never made long distance shooting a priority.  Plenty of "I wonder if I can hit that" shots over the years but have never actually worked on stretching things out while shooting for precision.

25 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

6.5cm.  That cartridge is already in my stable so that'll make it easy.

I've never made long distance shooting a priority.  Plenty of "I wonder if I can hit that" shots over the years but have never actually worked on stretching things out while shooting for precision.

It's addictive as all get out.  I have a childhood friend that is on the SWAT team in Alabama and he took me to their long distance range.  In a matter of minutes he had me dialed in a 400yds and we were ringing steel on each shot.  It was an urban range so that was the longest target, but I have no doubt had we twice the distance the fundamentals were the same.  He had the dope of the rifle on the flip-up reticle cap so it was plug & play.  Up this amount.  Over this amount.  Center and fire.  

See the cap in the pic:

image.png.f68cfcac1747138ce5efa4cdbec2bced.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

I'm thinking of buying a new 10mm pistol for bear protection.  The .44 mag has become a pain in the ass to carry.  It's heavy and the bear loads are just plain painful to shoot.

Looking at the high capacity, polymer, striker fired options.

Anyone have any experience with the Glock G20, Sig P320 XTEN, or the Springfield Armory XD-M Elite? 

3 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I'm thinking of buying a new 10mm pistol for bear protection.  The .44 mag has become a pain in the ass to carry.  It's heavy and the bear loads are just plain painful to shoot.

Anyone have any experience with the Glock G20, Sig P320 XTEN, or the Springfield Armory XD-M Elite? 

My G40 is smooth and I like it.  Haven't shot the 20 but my experience with the 40 would lead me personally in that direction. YMMV

5 hours ago, mooseoutfront said:

I would have thought that the bears wouldn't require outside security.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any experience with the Glock G20, Sig P320 XTEN, or the Springfield Armory laugh.png-M Elite? 

All of those are good, reliable options.

Whichever one feels best in your hands is the one I’d choose.

I would personally choose the sig - I do like that xgrip. I’d go SA second, Glock 3rd.

That’s just me - but they are all quality firearms. Get some buffalo bore 220g and head out.

Editing to add-
Another reason the 320 is attractive is the FCU and being able to use it for different rigs.

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

All of those are good, reliable options.

Whichever one feels best in your hands is the one I’d choose.

I would personally choose the sig - I do like that xgrip. I’d go SA second, Glock 3rd.

That’s just me - but they are all quality firearms. Get some buffalo bore 220g and head out.

Editing to add-
Another reason the 320 is attractive is the FCU and being able to use it for different rigs.

Went with the SA

B8E9B0A8-0810-4F39-9C41-2FEE713BDC23.jpeg

788DB113-C5E0-4742-B657-2410A5D2B3E7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2