ESPN and The Mouse vs. YouTube TV

DeadArmadillo

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

It'd be nice if YTTV would force an update.  I'm unable to watch the TX bball game w/o ABC right now.

Yeah, it's weird that the local ABC channels aren't working yet.

Edit: Oh, they're bringing them back online slowly over time. It's just delayed a bit.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Antennas are dirt cheap people, and you dont need some fancy "HDTV high powered" nonsense for those times your wifi or streaming provider craps out. I have one attached to my tv at all times, and even though rarely used has come in handy a couple times...such as last Februrary when I used a generator for power to space heaters and tv, yet my cable internet provider was down. Network tv sucks, but it's better than nothing or trying to watch stuff on your phone.

• Hook 'Em 3

As mentioned above, you need to log into youtubetv on your pc or whatever, go to the Live Guide settings and re-check all the channels they took away and added back, they are all at the very bottom of the list, like they are brand new channels.  Re-check them and then position them back in your guide where you had them before...

• Hook 'Em 1

I'd love to know how many cancellations/subscription pauses  YTTV received in the last 24 hours to spur whatever agreement transpired today. It must have been worse than they could have imagined to facilitate a new agreement in 24 hours, when they supposedly couldn't get it done in the last 2-3 months. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Still nothing.  Tried the app.  Nothing.  

18 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

On your phone go to your custom sort and recheck all the missing Disney channels at the bottom and resort.  I had the same issue.  It's there.

Yeah, should be in your settings under "Live guide". All the way at the bottom. You have to check them back on as if they're new channels. It was a pain in the dick to custom resort them all...but not as big of a pain as Hulu's DVR was looking like it might be.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

All you have to do is buy a 10 dollar digital antenna to get your FOX, ABC, CBS, and NBC games. Then use the website streameast to watch whatever ESPN games and other diddlyfuck networks.

digital antennas are a mixed bag

go read the reviews

i am 45.4 miles from the cedar hill tower.  despite the elevation and height of the towers i still do not have a clear line of sight due to elevation, trees, curvature of the earth, etc.

i have tried the "state of the art" indoor antennas twice since the launch of OTA HD and they failed miserably

prolly see if there is a therad in help, if anyone has any recs please pitch me

13 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'd love to know how many cancellations/subscription pauses  YTTV received in the last 24 hours to spur whatever agreement transpired today. It must have been worse than they could have imagined to facilitate a new agreement in 24 hours, when they supposedly couldn't get it done in the last 2-3 months. 

They got my cancellation.  Switched to Hulu Live and now am getting nearly everything I had on YTTV plus the basic Hulu we already subscribed to for the same price I was getting YTTV for.  Confused yet?  Me, too.  Hulu interface is still suboptimal but I’m peeved enough I had to switch that I’m not switching back anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Doctor of Neighborhood said:

They got my cancellation.  Switched to Hulu Live and now am getting nearly everything I had on YTTV plus the basic Hulu we already subscribed to for the same price I was getting YTTV for.  Confused yet?  Me, too.  Hulu interface is still suboptimal but I’m peeved enough I had to switch that I’m not switching back anytime soon.

Yeah, same.  Wish they would implement a way to reorder the channels like you can on YTTV.  The favorites tab is...fine...but not as good as essentially having the same thing above the rest of the guide if you feel like scrolling through.

6 minutes ago, Doctor of Neighborhood said:

1 minute ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Yeah, same.  Wish they would implement a way to reorder the channels like you can on YTTV.  The favorites tab is...fine...but not as good as essentially having the same thing above the rest of the guide if you feel like scrolling through.

In the short time I used Hulu over the last 24 hours, the DVR, and specifically pausing, rewinding and forwarding live tv fucking suuuuuuucked! Couldn’t run back to YTTV fast enough. $75 lesson learned. Next time I will sit tight and let whoever settle whatever it is they can’t come to an agreement on.

• Hook 'Em 5

digital antennas are a mixed bag
go read the reviews
i am 45.4 miles from the cedar hill tower.  despite the elevation and height of the towers i still do not have a clear line of sight due to elevation, trees, curvature of the earth, etc.
i have tried the "state of the art" indoor antennas twice since the launch of OTA HD and they failed miserably
prolly see if there is a therad in help, if anyone has any recs please pitch me
Sounds like you may be one of the few who actually need a fancy, somewhat spendy roof antenna. One of those motorized bad boys with a remote you can use to adjust for certain channels. Of course it's not worth it if your wifi rarely goes down. Most people can make do with the same sort of $15 antenna I bought at Target a decade ago, it lives hidden behind the tv stand.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I hated Hulu the first couple months, vastly preferred PsVue, (no longer exists) but the wife liked it so we kept it. I've gotten used to it now and they've improved it to where it truly feels like cable tv with a library of on demand movies and tv shows, and that includes some decent original movies/series. Having said that, the full complement of ESPN without LHN does suck...and makes no sense there is no way to get it now that Hulu is in the mouse family.

56 minutes ago, Doctor of Neighborhood said:

So glad I didn't cancel.  I'm usually the one who has a knee jerk reaction in investing and always wrong.  I wanted to sit this one out until I knew where to go.

43 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

In the short time I used Hulu over the last 24 hours, the DVR, and specifically pausing, rewinding and forwarding live tv fucking suuuuuuucked! Couldn’t run back to YTTV fast enough. $75 lesson learned. Next time I will sit tight and let whoever settle whatever it is they can’t come to an agreement on.

I checked on Hulu and Sling.  Glad I waited.  

27 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, mrhorn said:
fc6402723b80280e6a0b9fb35f87c8cc.gif

That didn’t take long, wonder who caved. My money is on YTTV. Either way everything seems back to normal

100% Google caved. So many I knew, cancelled YTTV and went to Hulu, owned by Disney. What they wanted. Google had no real leverage in this deal.

Agreed, but because it doesnt really compare to google's main revenue streams, they will eat the concession for a few months and you will see them jack the price up on YTTV as soon as they feel they can get away with it. Live sports is far and away the premium attraction for tv services. Everything else can be streamed on demand at a later date. Google had zero leverage at all.....ESPN/disney had it all. 

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, should be in your settings under "Live guide". All the way at the bottom. You have to check them back on as if they're new channels. It was a pain in the dick to custom resort them all...but not as big of a pain as Hulu's DVR was looking like it might be.

Did that.  Still not showing up.  Went to "Live" and checked the channels; nothing changed.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
Nevermind. They're there. At the bottom

Said fuck it and switched to FuboTV on Saturday morning, so I could watch the bowl games. Cost me an extra $15/month, but I'll just cancel the Disney+ bundle to make up that difference...plus no more VPN to watch the Astros. I'll just get back on Disney for a month at a time whenever the Star Wars series are done for the season. 

22 hours ago, Blotto said:

They expected none. They got cocky after getting NBCUniversal to blink in that game of chicken.