2022 Rain Thread

South Austin

Lol...we used to skip out of school and go drink beer and smoke joints at Boerne Lake.  CSB alert...I was a freshman and skipped school with some upper class friends of mine.  We met up with some other people and one was this smoking hot junior wearing one of those bikini tops with a zipper.  She and I are talking and then one of my friends says something about me only being freshman.  I still hate that dude today. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

We met up with some other people and one was this smoking hot junior wearing one of those bikini tops with a zipper.  She and I are talking and then one of my friends says something about me only being freshman.  I still hate that dude today. 

You had a lake right there.  Could you not have looked around and found a rope and something heavy, and solved the problem back then?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/29/2022 at 5:18 PM, Hate said:

If I could pick this up and move it 200 miles west I would.

file.php?id=19323&t=1

I'm in one of those dark brown areas and we haven't gotten shit.

The phrasing above is terrible, but fuck it.  I'm so fucking mad I'm leaving it.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Like y’all didn’t know this is EXACTLY how it was gonna go down.

I mean... sometimes that girl out of your league would glance at you.. you'd catch it... then your brain goes wild with dreams of marrying her.... then you calm yourself down and say "hey... just take it slow... maybe give her a few glances back .. maybe she'll continue the game and it'll all work out in the end." ... The next morning you pull up to the fieldhouse for a morning workout and you see it... she's blowing Frankie the weather guy under the bleachers and he's yelling something about Houston taking cover and charging iPads. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:01 AM, atomheartbevo said:

You had a lake right there.  Could you not have looked around and found a rope and something heavy, and solved the problem back then?

To be fair, "Boerne lake" was more like a big pond full of Cottonmouths back in the day.

Narrator: It's still a pond.

7 hours ago, Hate said:

Yep.  This has been a great big fucking tease.  Fuck you PTT #2!

Weekend: "It's gonna rain on Monday and then later in the week we're going to have a FLOOD! TROPICAL DOWNPOURS FROM HOUSTON TO CORPUS CHRISTI"

Monday: "Only a quarter inch? Wait until Wednesday!"

Tuesday: "We told you it was going to be dry today. Be patient. The models have shifted east and now Houston is going to get pounded."

Wednesday: "Not quite what we have expected today, but the main event is now forecasted to be Thursday night into Friday! STILL A FLOOD WARNING!"

Thursday: "Uhhh.... Still going to rain a lot tomorrow, we're pretty sure. Might be hit and miss."

Friday: "Now it's all in Beaumont. We told you it was an uncertain forecast. Shame on you for believing us."

Saturday: image.gif.97f286e6936d7aea318b5b88c8a83fd0.gif

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I mean... sometimes that girl out of your league would glance at you.. you'd catch it... then your brain goes wild with dreams of marrying her.... then you calm yourself down and say "hey... just take it slow... maybe give her a few glances back .. maybe she'll continue the game and it'll all work out in the end." ... The next morning you pull up to the fieldhouse for a morning workout and you see it... she's blowing Frankie the weather guy under the bleachers and he's yelling something about Houston taking cover and charging iPads. 

After her first glance, you walk over and say "Blue Shed" and then walk away and nine times out of ten she's yours.

So I check that 8-14 outlook every day. I don't give it any notice until it's consistent for 2-3 days. Sometimes they come out with a model like this and then the next day reverts back to hot/dry.

On 7/2/2022 at 3:28 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Pretty steady rain today in Houston. My goodness, did we need it. Driest I've seen it in a decade. 

The guy in Houston -- HOUSTON -- complaining on a message board with a bunch of Austinites how dry it is. 

image.png.d0580cc18f926e80b0f6aeee2577f1ca.png

image.png.fbfa2b666cc3552cbfce6dea49011a34.png

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So I check that 8-14 outlook every day. I don't give it any notice until it's consistent for 2-3 days. Sometimes they come out with a model like this and then the next day reverts back to hot/dry.

Yeah some of these 10 day forecasts ALWAYS put some rain on the 10th day. It's insulting. 

On 6/28/2022 at 10:02 PM, Hate said:

Lol...we used to skip out of school and go drink beer and smoke joints at Boerne Lake.  CSB alert...I was a freshman and skipped school with some upper class friends of mine.  We met up with some other people and one was this smoking hot junior wearing one of those bikini tops with a zipper.  She and I are talking and then one of my friends says something about me only being freshman.  I still hate that dude today. 

Funny story.....(sounds like Dazed and Confused and 16 Candles mixed together). We used to go the the lake all the time, but it was just to drink beer and jump off the spillway overflow tower.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:06 AM, F250 said:

To be fair, "Boerne lake" was more like a big pond full of Cottonmouths back in the day.

Narrator: It's still a pond.

The 'lake" was never as bad with Water mocs as the Cibolo in the middle of town. Much more snakes jumping off the dam there in town than at any time we ever swam out at he lake. 

Pic below is from when they first filled the reservoir in '80. (The cops came out later and drove up on the dam, but we were gone by then). Not a good camera perspective as the tower is above the water at this time by about 25 ft., as the lake wasn't full yet. 

IMG_4203.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I did a qualifying dive for my scuba certification at Boerne Lake. The water was so murky that we had to abort the dive because we couldn’t see each other underwater for more than about 3 feet away.

Yea, not a spring water lake. Surprised they didn't have you go to San Marcos and do it there.

A good friend of mine was on a dive recovery team during high school and I still remember him telling me about the first time he found a body in Canyon Lake below the dam (where people then and still now, drown all the time). He said it scared the shit out him as they were down about 35' -40' with really poor vis, and all of a sudden the dude's face suddenly filled up his view in his mask. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Yea, not a spring water lake. Surprised they didn't have you go to San Marcos and do it there.

A good friend of mine was on a dive recovery team during high school and I still remember him telling me about the first time he found a body in Canyon Lake below the dam (where people then and still now, drown all the time). He said it scared the shit out him as they were down about 35' -40' with really poor vis, and all of a sudden the dude's face suddenly filled up his view in his mask. 

People die in Canyon Lake all the fucking time, it's crazy. My son was nearby when those people were run over by their own boat several weeks ago. I heard a drowned body was found on the 4th of July.

We live nearby and my kids were raised as Lake/River people. To this day when they say they are going to the lake or river I go off on a "safety protocols" rant.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

People die in Canyon Lake all the fucking time, it's crazy. My son was nearby when those people were run over by their own boat several weeks ago. I heard a drowned body was found on the 4th of July.

We live nearby and my kids were raised as Lake/River people. To this day when they say they are going to the lake or river I go off on a "safety protocols" rant.

Yep, unfortunately.

I didn't understand it growing up, but do more so now as I lived out of state for many years ( with much colder lake waters).

My dad had property just off the water at Canyon while we were growing up but we hardly went there mainly due to the water ALWAYS colder (Guadalupe fed), and my grandparents having a place in Granite Shoals on LBJ.

We were ALWAYS on or in the water too, and definitely got a safety brief from Dad, an Uncle, or Grandad before going out on the water.

Understanding more about cold water drownings now ( I worked public safety stuff for 34 years, plus being a diver), Canyon (seems to me) to get more due to the colder water temps, + mixed with alcohol being on board the victim.

While living up in the PNW, we saw lake drownings in the middle of summer with temps in the 80's, but with colder lake water around 68-72 plus alcohol on the boat or at the campground, just meant some very healthy teenager or 20 something was ripe to become a victim just going for a "short" swim. Guys cramp up or get tired out quicker, and slip under without so much as a peep. Silent drowning. Travis gets plenty of these too, as I went on calls there quite a bit also after moving back here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Inner loop Houston catching a much-needed soaking this afternoon. Don't recall seeing any real rain chances on the morning forecast. Storm kinda popped up out of nowhere about an hour ago and has stuck around. I'll take credit for running my truck through the car wash on the way in this morning.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

For those in Central Texas, dip into the wreath fund, send me some money, pick an area, and I’ll camp in that area and then it’ll fucking pour for a few hours about 2am right as I’m deep asleep.  I’ll even leave the rain cover off to guarantee rain.

We’re supposed to be 108ish Fri-Sun in the Waco area.  I’d say Tonkawa Falls in Crawford is nice this time of year, but it’s moreso “Tonkawa 3am prostate cancer squirts” at this juncture.