My grandma died tonight

PatrickMcHorn

Great tribute to your grandma. Peace be with you and your family as you mourn her loss.

I lived on the other side of the country as my grandparents and saw them only a few times growing up, so I’m grateful my parents have been fixtures in my kids’ lives since birth. You’re lucky your grandma was such an important part of your life.

• Hook 'Em 2

My grandparents all made it to 90, and we lost all 4 of them in the span of 3 years.  I took a measure of comfort in the fact that I had them in my life for as long as I did, as a I have friends who barely remembered their grandparents.  Doesn’t make it any easier, but there are a whole lot of memories there that you are fortunate to have.  RIP Meemaw.

Grandparents are a beautiful, wonderful thing to have in your life.  I loved reading your memories in the OP.  I was blessed with2 very different, but equally awesome sets of grandparents.  I miss them and wish they could share in where my life is now, as I know they would love it. The challenge is to pay it forward and be the influence they were for you. Every day…

I’m sorry for your loss.  I appreciate you sharing those memories.  She was a badass lady, sounds like…

RIP.

Sorry for your loss.....damned glad y'all had her as long as you did.

Sounds like exactly the kind of piss-and-vinegar SOLA gal so many of us have known and loved.  The world was surely better for having her in it, and for her molding you and yours into who you are today.

I'll raise my next spoon of etouffee to her memory.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:41 PM, PatrickMcHorn said:

Not sure this is the right spot for this,  but I felt the need to share with a bunch of assholes.  She would have loved it here.

She was 91, and just diagnosed with covid within the last week.   She wasn't doing so well for the last couple months though. 

She was cajun, from New Iberia, and the last generation in my family to grow up speaking French.   She gave me my first beer,  first oyster,  and was sitting next to me in what i think was my first memory (a john boat bayou ride with alligators going under us from one side of the shore and up onto the other).  

She once tackled me and covered me up when i stumbled on a yellow jacket nest.   She was stung 17 times,  but I never was.  When I was accepted into UT, she gave me this burnt orange mold of a hand doing the hook 'em horns that had to be 30 years old at that point.  She was so fucking happy for me. 

As a father of daughters,  i can only pray that I've prepared them to live their lives as she has.   I'd be honored for them to have her integrity and work ethic,  love and tenacity. 

As I'm sitting here drinking rye, listening to "I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight" on repeat,  and crying my eyes out,  I'm trying to push myself into being thankful for the time I had and all the wonderful gifts she's given me,  but fuck I'm sad.   

Here's to you meemaw.   If I happen to end up in the same afterlife as you,  we're making gumbo and dirty rice and drinking wine in your kitchen for eternity, all day every day. 

Known you on here and other boards for a long time.   From the bottom of my heart, my deepest condolences from my family and I.   Praying for ya bud.