Texas in FW @ TCU 8pm on ESPNU

SDG

4 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Max Engel’s article is worse if you can believe that.

Ho Lee Fuck

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article257721038.html#storylink=cpy

The Texas Longhorns cleared out Shaka Smart to be better than this under Chris Beard

Beard should do himself a big favor and just put himself in COVID protocol rather than return to Lubbock. He does not have the team to run with Texas Tech this year.

Betting against Beard to bomb in Austin is bad money, but the Longhorns should be much better under this coach than the guy they shoved out to take a job in Wisconsin, Shaka Smart.

Beating TCU 73-50 in front of a record 8,412 at Schollmaier Arena in Fort Worth on Tuesday night proves the Longhorns are not in a collapse mode, which they had shown flashes of since the start of the Big 12 schedule. This was a performance Beard badly needed, or this year was headed toward some of that NIT magic.

Texas is the shakiest 15-5 team with a 5-3 conference record you can find. This is currently an unranked bubble team. Every team in the Big 12 this season has a win over a Top 25 team, except Texas. The Longhorns got fat on a typical plate of “guarantee-game” garbage.

Former Texas basketball coach Shaka Smart had his faults (see Christian, Abilene), but the Horns were in the tournament last year.

Texas is 15-5, and should make the 68-team NCAA tournament with a .500 record in conference. The Horns could slide in with a 8-10 conference record based on not the strength of its schedule, but the strength of its name. The NCAA Tournament has a soft heart when it comes to Texas.

No coach in the sport is supposed to be better equipped to thrive in this new era of the nomadic portal player, and flipping nearly the entire starting lineup in an offseason, better than Beard. It’s why expectations for Beard’s first year at UT are justifiably high.

His first season in Austin has the look of a guy who believed too many of the headlines, and just another coach who needs talent to look smart. As Texas showed on Tuesday night against a decent TCU team in Fort Worth, the Longhorns are good enough to convince you they can be a problem. Tuesday night was the first time Texas looked like Texas Tech did under Beard. They defended well, rebounded, cut, passed, harassed, and outplayed TCU the entire night.

Texas now starts its season-defining stretch, and everything is still possible, and plausible. They can make the NCAA Tournament. They can make the NIT Tournament.

Either way, they should be better than this because their coach is Chris Beard.

• Haha 3

Texas is the shakiest 15-5 team with a 5-3 conference record you can find.

That is just stupid.  We have put beat downs on K-State, WV and TCU.  And with a couple of free throws, we would be 6-2 in conference.  We have the #1 scoring defense in the nation and a pretty efficient offense.  If anything, we are BETTER than our record, not worse.

And I shudder to think about what THIS YEAR'S team would have looked like under Shaka.  We would be looking at a 12-22 type year.  And some of the players like Ramey would have likely left.  It would have been a disaster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

That is just stupid.  We have put beat downs on K-State, WV and TCU.  And with a couple of free throws, we would be 6-2 in conference.  We have the #1 scoring defense in the nation and a pretty efficient offense.  If anything, we are BETTER than our record, not worse.

And I shudder to think about what THIS YEAR'S team would have looked like under Shaka.  We would be looking at a 12-22 type year.  And some of the players like Ramey would have likely left.  It would have been a disaster.

I agree the article is stupid, but the "this year's team would have sucked under Shaka" line of argument is pretty stupid too.

He almost certainly would have brought in a ton of transfers. Just like he did at Marquette. And just like Beard did here.

We have absolutely no idea what this year's Texas team would have looked like under Shaka.

(disclaimer: I do not want Shaka back here in any way. Nor do I think his firing/departure was undeserved)

Edited by MotownHorn

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

I agree the article is stupid, but the "this year's team would have sucked under Shaka" line of argument is pretty stupid too.

He almost certainly would have brought in a ton of transfers. Just like he did at Marquette. And just like Beard did here. We have no idea what this year's team would have looked like under Shaka.

(disclaimer: I do not want Shaka back here in any way. Nor do I think his firing/departure was undeserved)

There's 6 years of evidence of no tournament wins to know what it would have looked like. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

This is funny because it’s accurate. That dude & his dog killed the crowd. 

It was a disappointing performance on a night TCU set two attendance records with an overall crowd of 8,412 and a student section of 3,594. At least the fans were able to enjoy the halftime show featuring “Christian & Scooby” of “America’s Got Talent” fame. 

We hit our FT's and our defense travels and with Beard we seem to get respect from the officials(TBF we haven't played Kansas yet) which is a bonus.  he works them and it makes a difference.

on O, I don't trust Ramey or Jones and the guy I thought was gonna make that moot was Carr.   this offense needs either Carr or Ramey/Jones to be on to win.  they need to ham/egg this to the finish line.   Allen is pretty steady which is nice.

to reiterate, it is sooooo nice not to look like a middle school team at the FT line.

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

We hit our FT's and our defense travels and with Beard we seem to get respect from the officials(TBF we haven't played Kansas yet) which is a bonus.  he works them and it makes a difference.

on O, I don't trust Ramey or Jones and the guy I thought was gonna make that moot was Carr.   this offense needs either Carr or Ramey/Jones to be on to win.  they need to ham/egg this to the finish line.   Allen is pretty steady which is nice.

to reiterate, it is sooooo nice not to look like a middle school team at the FT line.

Texas needs Ramey and Jones to be consistent scorers. They are the two most experienced players on the team, when they shoot well Texas will win. When they both struggle, which has happened in 4 of the 5 losses, there just isn't enough offense left on the team. Febres and Disu have been injured and ineffective. Askew is still a freshman on his development curve. Mitchell and Bishop are struggling with the quality, quantity, and athleticism of the Big 12 on a game-by-game basis.

Only Carr(14.6 ppg) and Allen(11.9) are consistently bringing it game in and game out.

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, Texas gets it's best win of the year and this clown runs to twitter whining about SOS...knowing full well that we have the toughest remaining SOS in the nation. god that dude is sad. 

Lol I saw you tweet at him the other night. There were also a bunch of other funny responses. 

I think his funniest bit last night is he was running with this narrative that Beard keeps yelling at Askew. There was one play in particular that he was criticizing when Beard wasn't even yelling at Askew but trying to hype him up on a fast break dunk. It's truly incredible what that guy has become. 

Edited by texasstrong12

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, Texas gets it's best win of the year and this clown runs to twitter whining about SOS...knowing full well that we have the toughest remaining SOS in the nation. god that dude is sad. 

He had an incredible post on the subreddit within the last week or two. Wish I could find it but it's just gone. Dunno if he deleted it or what. People were discussing Beard's offense and he wrote, "if I'm choosing between Shaka and Beard, give me Shaka. At least Shaka tries new things."

Over the last five years, Beard's offenses per Kenpom have averaged about #39, and never been ranked below #50.

Shaka's offenses here averaged #87.5.  Basically every other year, the offense was fucking dreadful. Shaka's best ranking (#28) doesn't beat Beard's best ranking (#25).

I get not enjoying Beard's aesthetic, but lol @ "give me a fucking miserable, putrid, horribly inefficient offense every other year, cuz at least he tried something new!"

5 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

There's 6 years of evidence of no tournament wins to know what it would have looked like. 

The post I responded to was talking about what our roster was going to look like this year. My very simple, basic point is that we have no idea what the roster would have looked like this year with Shaka due to the transfer portal. I also added a disclaimer saying I don’t want Shaka here and he deserved to be fired.

Can you not read or are you being an asshole on purpose? 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

The post I responded to was talking about what our roster was going to look like this year. My very simple, basic point is that we have no idea what the roster would have looked like this year with Shaka due to the transfer portal. I also added a disclaimer saying I don’t want Shaka here and he deserved to be fired.

Yeah and that means nothing. There's plenty of evidence to know Shaka wasn't going to win a tournament game here with any roster. 

You acting like there's no way to figure out what Shaka would have done with transfers is nonsensical because we've seen the end result with all types of rosters at Texas. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

we do have an idea what the roster would have looked like. don't project your own ignorance onto everyone else. the roster was bombed out and depleted after last season, his would-have-been freshman class was in no way ready to play in the Big XII, and there's nothing to suggest that he would have cleaned up in the transfer portal either. there's essentially no chance that our roster under shaka wouldn't have simply been lambs for the slaughter this season in the big xii. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

I AM ONLY TALKING ABOUT WHAT THE ROSTER WOULD HAVE LOOKED LIKE AND NOT SHAKAS COACHING ABILITY, WHICH I AGREE DESERVED TO GET HIM FIRED

Do you get it yet? Or are you still either very stupid or playing stupid?!?

I get it. I'm saying that's irrelevant. 

The roster doesn't matter. We saw all different types of rosters under Shaka and it led to the same results. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I made a very simple point that an absolute moron could understand, and you clowns are here trying to argue with me about Shaka, who I explicitly said I thought deserved to be fired

Amazing

We aren't arguing anything. It's a sports board where people discuss shit. 

All we said is that even if Shaka was able to land transfers it wasn't going to lead to any different result. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, MotownHorn said:

Dude you did the same thing first, so I did it back

Only one of us is a well known laughingstock though 😂

i negged your posts because you're in here screaming and cussing in all caps like an asshole while everyone else is just trying to talk hoops. you negged me because you're unstable and upset. big difference. 

Name me one good transfer that Shaka signed in his time at Texas.  Dylan Osetkowski?  Elijah Mitrou Long?  LOL. Those guys were terrible.  He wasn’t going to sign shit.  
On the contrary, he was hemorrhaging players to the portal.  Gerald Liddel, Donovan Williams and Royce Hamm were already in the portal (plus Will Baker).  Ramey and Jones were rumored to be leaving.

It is more likely we would have been starting Brock Cunningham, Jase Febres, some transfer spares, freshmen and walkons than him put together a solid team of stud transfers. I’m certain it played a role in his willing departure.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

He almost certainly would have brought in a ton of transfers. Just like he did at Marquette. And just like Beard did here.

We have absolutely no idea what this year's Texas team would have looked like under Shaka.

We also don't know exactly what the Jets would've looked like if Adam Gase were still the coach, but no one here besides you is dumb enough to say they'd have no idea what it would be like. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

We also don't know exactly what the Jets would've looked like if Adam Gase were still the coach, but no one here besides you is dumb enough to say they'd have no idea what it would be like. 

Yeah you guys are making great points given how poor of a job Shaka did building a team through the portal at Marquette and how shitty he is doing there now 🙄

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Yeah you guys are making great points given how poor of a job Shaka did building a team through the portal at Marquette and how shitty he is doing there now 🙄

he signed two guys in the portal who are averaging a combined 11 pts and 8 reb per game. he also lost Theo John to Duke and Dawson Garcia. but yeah, Shaka Smart just crushed it in the transfer portal. 👌🏼 

Edited by shadow_operative