Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

Went to my first game at the Moody Center last night. Some thoughts:

1. Big ups to MAUFRAIS for selling tickets at a reasonable price. Thank you! Checked StubHub a few hours before and they were still in the $80-100 range. We all had a fantastic time.

2. Stadium was about 3/4ths full. Maybe a touch more. Crowd seemed like a typical quiet Texas crowd, but it was also a lower-tier opponent during Christmas, and the game was never in doubt.

3. Holy shit the Moody Center is beautiful and a great venue. Not a bad seat in the house. It's also very much the epitome of modern Austin. Trying to cash in on the cool Austin vibe while being a modern corporate entity. It's the equivalent of condos built at Barton Springs. 

4. I'm not a basketball mega-fan. Literally the first game I've watched this year, but the team seems really, really good. Of course, Carr went off. But there is lots of length and athleticism down low. The passing was also awesome. Fun to watch.

5. Jerritt Elliott was courtside and my wife pointed him out. Looked over and thought... is that TJ Ford next to him? Sure enough they showed them on the jumbotron a few minutes later. One of my favorite Horns. 

6. What the hell happened to the Rudy's blimp! You can't have Texas basketball without the Rudy blimp!

7. May need to go in the unpopular opinion thread, but MM has turned into a cringe caricature that's way overused. Why the hell is singing/rapping in the intro video? Just awkward.

8. I'd love to attend a game against a big opponent in that arena. I bet that place can get absolutely rocking.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

2. Stadium was about 3/4ths full. Maybe a touch more. Crowd seemed like a typical quiet Texas crowd, but it was also a lower-tier opponent during Christmas, and the game was never in doubt.

to all of those whiny crybabies who wouldn't stop pestering CDC on twitter because they couldn't get tickets to see Gonzaga, a)this is (in part) why the upper deck is closed, and b)where were all of y'all last night? not at Moody, that's for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

to all of those whiny crybabies who wouldn't stop pestering CDC on twitter because they couldn't get tickets to see Gonzaga, a)this is (in part) why the upper deck is closed, and b)where were all of y'all last night? not at Moody, that's for sure.

?? I thought it was a pretty good crowd for the circumstances. I wouldn't expect a huge sell-out crowd that time a year to play a no-name opponent. 

Still don't understand why tix were so damn expensive on StubHub.

33 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

?? I thought it was a pretty good crowd for the circumstances. I wouldn't expect a huge sell-out crowd that time a year to play a no-name opponent. 

yeah the crowd last night was fine. i was commenting on the fact that a bunch of people who clearly don't follow the team were pestering CDC on twitter about the upper level not being open for the gonzaga game, and how badly they wanted to go, and how it wasn't fair. now that we're playing directional schools and not gonzaga, the stadium doesn't sell out, and those same fans will watch the game from home, or more likely not watch the game at all. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

yeah the crowd last night was fine. i was commenting on the fact that a bunch of people who clearly don't follow the team were pestering CDC on twitter about the upper level not being open for the gonzaga game, and how badly they wanted to go, and how it wasn't fair. now that we're playing directional schools and not gonzaga, the stadium doesn't sell out, and those same fans will watch the game from home, or more likely not watch the game at all. 

Yeah, I'm past caring about stuff like that. I used to when my UT sports fandom was more rabid, but as I've gotten older, it's all entertainment. Especially given the expense and hassle of going to a game at UT with the ticket cost and parking/transport situation due to location. If a game doesn't interest you, don't go and don't watch. If someone wants to be a fair weather fan, I can understand where they're coming from. 

Building an upper deck, not opening it, and then having really high-priced tickets stinks to me. Stuff like that and $20 cocktails really turn the fandom into a rich/corporate base to me. Very "Austin" in my eyes.

I'm sure students still get a good deal to get in (or at least I hope).

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

yeah, i hear you. whats the work around here? my family of 5 were very very interested in going to the game last minute, but the cheapest for 5+ was $130 each, i believe. thats freakin ridiculous. Even splitting up 2-3 was well over $500 + fees for the entire crew. How are other people finding tickets to fill in the empties? Thats a family of bratty sugar-addicted kids that could have contributed to a shitload of concessions that CDC missed out on.

18 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

yeah, i hear you. whats the work around here? my family of 5 were very very interested in going to the game last minute, but the cheapest for 5+ was $130 each, i believe. thats freakin ridiculous. Even splitting up 2-3 was well over $500 + fees for the entire crew. How are other people finding tickets to fill in the empties? Thats a family of bratty sugar-addicted kids that could have contributed to a shitload of concessions that CDC missed out on.

I took my kid to Arkansas Pine Bluff for $25 a ticket, those were the student tickets that went on sale once finals started. That is what I plan on doing from now on until I become a millionaire. 

If it makes you feel any better, I checked the face value tickets for both the road games at Tech and Baylor and both are $100 a ticket (and that is direct from the school, not on the resale market). So it isn't just in Austin that watching Texas Basketball is incredibly expensive.

Edited by Valmy77

22 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I believe that most if not all tickets (excepting the student section) are held by season ticket holders.  Seems like I read that in some AD email.  So technically, all the games are sold out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

it's like $5/month, and in all honesty it's one of the best values in streaming services. i'd say that hulu, disney, and espn are my top 3 streaming services (and i don't even watch the disney/comic book movies, the app just has a ton of name brand stuff), and when you factor in price it's hard to beat ESPN. their original content alone is easily worth the price, not to mention the live games. 

Edited by shadow_operative

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's like $5/month, and in all honesty it's one of the best values in streaming services. i'd say that hulu, disney, and espn are my top 3 streaming services (and i don't even watch the disney/comic book movies, the app just has a ton of name brand stuff), and when you factor in price it's hard to beat ESPN. their original content alone is easily worth the price, not to mention the live games. 

The $20 disney/espn/Hulu w no ads bundle is such a no brainer. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 12/29/2022 at 5:22 PM, BigOrange1 said:

yeah i've never understood sports fans who are fine paying whatever netflix/hulu/etc. costs bitching about a service that costs a fraction of those.

I wasn't complaining about the cost. I agree with everyone that it's worth it. I have a subscription.

Just saying that the game being on ESPN+ is different than being on ESPN3 or whatever because ESPN+ is a paid service not included in regular cable/streaming plans

Edited by MotownHorn

although the big xii has been the best hoops conference for the last decade now, im excited about our move to the SEC. aside from fun matchups like Kentucky and Tennessee, the conference has been really good at the top end for several years now. we're going to have some fun new rivalries when we join up. if Texas were already in the SEC that would be 6 of the top 17 in kenpom.

83AFCE3F-D432-453E-804B-A90AD1F403D5.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Huge game tomorrow against Kansas State. Got to win at home. 

They are all huge at home.  Have to win in Austin because there will inevitably be difficulties on the road.  Been true the past several years.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CTC2 said:

They are all huge at home.  Have to win in Austin because there will inevitably be difficulties on the road.  Been true the past several years.  

This is why having a raucous crowd and an actual home court advantage is extremely important. The Erwin Center and the lack of a consistently intimidating home environment handicapped us in year's past.  We need that environment for the Kansas St's and TCU's of the world just as much as we need it for the KU's

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is why having a raucous crowd and an actual home court advantage is extremely important. The Erwin Center and the lack of a consistently intimidating home environment handicapped us in year's past.  We need that environment for the Kansas St's and TCU's of the world just as much as we need it for the KU's

This is exactly what I was thinking about.  A Jan 3rd K-State last year would not be a great environment. I think tonight will be pretty good and looking forward to it again after all these gimme games (Rice not included) are done with.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I feel like normally LHN games are at 7. Was surprised to see this one at 8.

HCU and UTEP were also at 8 and NAU was 7:30

I’d rather start at 7 than go up against Kansas @ Tech. 

Edited by Js1

Went to my first game at the Moody Center last night. Some thoughts:

1. Big ups to MAUFRAIS for selling tickets at a reasonable price. Thank you! Checked StubHub a few hours before and they were still in the $80-100 range. We all had a fantastic time.
3. Holy shit the Moody Center is beautiful and a great venue. Not a bad seat in the house. It's also very much the epitome of modern Austin. Trying to cash in on the cool Austin vibe while being a modern corporate entity. It's the equivalent of condos built at Barton Springs. 
4. I'm not a basketball mega-fan. Literally the first game I've watched this year, but the team seems really, really good. Of course, Carr went off. But there is lots of length and athleticism down low. The passing was also awesome. Fun to watch.
5. Jerritt Elliott was courtside and my wife pointed him out. Looked over and thought... is that TJ Ford next to him? Sure enough they showed them on the jumbotron a few minutes later. One of my favorite Horns. 
6. What the hell happened to the Rudy's blimp! You can't have Texas basketball without the Rudy blimp!
7. May need to go in the unpopular opinion thread, but MM has turned into a cringe caricature that's way overused. Why the hell is singing/rapping in the intro video? Just awkward.
8. I'd love to attend a game against a big opponent in that arena. I bet that place can get absolutely rocking.

89307fd282988fae022a85cde5dcae68.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

I also got in a little late because I waited too long and got jammed by the clusterfuck at the west gate, but I did not see bless the mood while I was there. Maybe it played pre tip, but I pray that it got sent to longhorn jumbotron heaven where it is playing ping pong with the phat beat Minotaurs.

I also got in a little late because I waited too long and got jammed by the clusterfuck at the west gate, but I did not see bless the mood while I was there. Maybe it played pre tip, but I pray that it got sent to longhorn jumbotron heaven where it is playing ping pong with the phat beat Minotaurs.

You missed it…they played it.