Texas vs. baylor - 8pm on ESPN

Pancho

Just now, Bruh Man said:

Morris isn't top 10. Not closing on George is going to hurt. He is special.

Not closing on George and not getting Wallace when they switched priorities, sure. 

But the recruiting is at a very high level. Acting like that's the issue right now is being silly.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why would a Baptist university in a state full of baptists and great basketball players be good at basketball?  

add a scumbag coach that 1) will break any rule without issue while hiding behind a giant cross 2) can scout and 3) can coach. 

If any of those players are Baptists in good standing, then I'm a vegan. 

And I damn sure don't like rabbit food.

Edited by Brothahorn

Just boils down to Baylor knows how to win at a higher level. . Other than KU we haven’t won our big games and we needed a lot of luck for that. . We just have to learn how to win. . Like They said earlier in the year most of our transfers are coming from losing programs . . I will say this were more better physically and mentally then we were to start the season 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

Just boils down to Baylor knows how to win at a higher level. . Other than KU we haven’t won our big games and we needed a lot of luck for that. . We just have to learn how to win. . Like They said earlier in the year most of our transfers are coming from losing programs . . I will say this were more better physically and mentally then we were to start the season 

Having 5 NBA players doesn't hurt. Plus Baylor plays smart basketball.

Lethal combination.

• Like 1

Honestly we are gonna have trouble winning anymore games if we can't make open 3's.  Teams will clog the paint and give us all the 3's we want from here on out.  Gonna have to start making them to open up the paint or our offense will be too easy to stop.

Edited by chemHORN

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

But TJ was better for Texas.

Better in what way? He had a much better team around him.

Aldridge, Dowell, Gibson, Tucker, and MIke Williams all left after the 2007 season. 

Durant, Augustin, James and Mason were freshman starters who all averaged over 25mpg as freshmen. 

The only non freshmen who played a significant role on the team were senior AJ Abrams, who was a ball hogging, narcissistic black hole who often made the team worse on both ends of the floor, and Connor Atchley at 18mpg. 

There's are a couple of reasons why the team suddenly improved after losing one of the greatest players in the history of basketball. The team got older, and Abrams was gone. 

3 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Honestly we are gonna have trouble winning anymore games if we can't make open 3's.  Teams will clog the paint and give us all the 3's we want from here on out.  Gonna have to start making them to open up the paint or our offense will be too easy to stop.

We can hit shots, just look recently at the WVU game . . Just not consistent 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Aldridge, Dowell, Gibson, Tucker, and MIke Williams all left after the 2007 season. 

Durant, Augustin, James and Mason were freshman starters who all averaged over 25mpg as freshmen. 

The only non freshmen who played a significant role on the team were senior AJ Abrams, who was a ball hogging, narcissistic black hole who often made the team worse on both ends of the floor, and Connor Atchley at 18mpg. 

There's are a couple of reasons why the team suddenly improved after losing one of the greatest players in the history of basketball. The team got older, and Abrams was gone. 

You could say KD doesn’t go to Texas without TJ getting them to the Final Four. 

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

We can hit shots, just look recently at the WVU game . . Just not consistent 

Hoping the terrible 3pt shooting tonight for Texas was due to fatigue...

Rest up guys -- tomorrow begins "March Madness" !!!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

We can make the 3's but today was not one of those days. I think playing defense the way they do affects their shooting. We just are not as physically gifted as Baylor, Tech or Kansas.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Cool. 

T.J. Ford led Texas to the Final Four. That's literally all I am basing my opinion on.

Just now, BERT said:

You could say KD doesn’t go to Texas without TJ getting them to the Final Four. 

In an indirect way.

Russ Springmann was the first one to recruit KD. That's tough to imagine, but he was. He quickly identified him, and built a great relationship with KD and his family.

The staff ended up convincing Durant to move from Oak Hill, who we didn't have a good relationship with, to Montrose Christian, who we had a great relationship with.

When he came on his visit he got in the gym with Aldridge, Tucker, Gibson, Abrams, plus James and Augustin. He figured they'd win the national championship easily. Now, you could argue Texas doesn't get that talent without TJ Ford, and I'd agree with you. But Durant didn't come to Texas because of TJ Ford. Durant came to Texas because of the talent that was on campus at that time.

Ha! Jokes on you! Those guys are going to be gone when you get here!

His recruitment came down to UConn, UNC, and Texas. Nike REALLY wanted KD to go to UNC. Everyone knew he was a transcendent talent. Nike was scared shitless they would lose his endorsement. TJ Ford was (is) an adidas guy. They didn't trust Barnes to keep KD in the Nike fold, even though Texas is a Nike school. It doesn't matter that Ford wasn't going to influence Durant away from Nike. Durant was a guy they wanted to make sure every t was crossed and i was dotted, and Texas represented more risk than they preferred.

But in the end Texas won that recruitment. I'd say Springmann gets way more credit for that recruitment than TJ Ford.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

All correct except AJ was on team when it got better in 2007-2008. 

30 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We can make the 3's but today was not one of those days. I think playing defense the way they do affects their shooting. We just are not as physically gifted as Baylor, Tech or Kansas.

I don’t know about being less physically gifted Tech and Kansas. Tech just plays harder than anyone else I’ve seen this year and KU is SOFT. Baylor is definitely better though… 

If we had made the FTs we missed, we still would have lost by 1 point. 

FTs did hurt, but it was 3 point shooting that hurt THE MOST. That is really the difference in the game. 

Compared to how we played in Waco, I’m actually pleased at this game.  I’m pleased at what Beard has done throughout the season.  I did not like this team just 1 month ago.  Today, they are easy, easy, easy to root for.  I think we are a 5 seed come 2 weeks from now, but dare I say we might be dangerous?  With that said, our ceiling is S16.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, D3zii said:

we don't have to learn how to win, we need players that can fucking shoot.  The Shaka AJ/Febres/Ramey show is just so meh.

Baylor  

• 2pt fg   13    26 pts
  • 3pt fg     9    27 pts
  • FT made 15  15 pts
  • Total pts         68 pts

Texas

• 2pt fg   20    40 pts
  • 3pt fg     4    12 pts
  • FT made 9      9 pts
  • Total pts         61 pts

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

All correct except AJ was on team when it got better in 2007-2008. 

Yeah, he was. I was still not a fan. He did bail us out plenty of times. Just never liked the way he played, or how Barnes gave him a blank check compared to everyone else on the roster.

56 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You're getting your years seriously mixed up here. Durant's one year ar Texas was 2006-2007. Abrams was a sophomore on that team. 

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Baylor  

• 2pt fg   13    26 pts
  • 3pt fg     9    27 pts
  • FT made 15  15 pts
  • Total pts         68 pts

Texas

• 2pt fg   20    40 pts
  • 3pt fg     4    12 pts
  • FT made 9      9 pts
  • Total pts         61 pts

This dropped off...

Matchup 239.png&h=100&w=100 251.png&h=100&w=100
FG 22-54 24-60
Field Goal % 40.7 40.0
3PT 9-22 4-23
Three Point % 40.9 17.4
FT 15-20 9-15
Free Throw % 75.0 60.0
Rebounds 39 36
Offensive Rebounds 12 11
Defensive Rebounds 27 25
Assists 12 9
Steals 5 6
Blocks 3 5
Total Turnovers 12 9
Fouls 15 18
Technical Fouls 0 0
Largest Lead 10 7

Just got home. Crowd was great. Ska jr really enjoyed the game. Baylor fans chanting sec,sec, sec at the end was stupid. Askew had moments of kick ass, but then got benched. Scratch head. Nobody can shoot a 3. That old fat ref is the worst. Co-eds still bringing it. Adios drum.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're getting your years seriously mixed up here. Durant's one year ar Texas was 2006-2007. Abrams was a sophomore on that team. 

No, not mixed up. Just fucked up.

In any case, the point was that was an extremely young team. Abrams being a sophomore with 4 freshman starters, and Atchley as the first player off the bench as a sophomore - it was amazing they did as well as they did. There were NO veterans on that team whatsoever.

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I'd almost rather this team clang the first 3 3 pointers they take.  we made 2 early and then thought we were the splash brothers.

A lot of the pull up threes in transition we missed pissed me off the most.  Those shots aren’t going to slow down the game and limit possessions and just turn the game into a track meet. Which doesn’t seem to be our style. Inefficient way to limit possessions when we clang them and Baylor goes down to the other end and hits a shot 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1