Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT

shadow_operative

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Shaka would’ve lost by 50 to VaTech

Yeah if somebody would have told me we were going to beat VaTech before the tournament I would have been ecstatic. This is only disappointing because of how the rest of the bracket went, it would be hard to stumble into a clearer road to the Final Four in the future than this but oh well. Beating Purdue was always a long shot.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

This game could have very easily been a 20 or 30 point loss with how it unfolded.  It wasn't because Beard is a hell of a coach.

By this logic no coach has any impact. Outside of football, arguably the biggest impact a coach has on the game is his ability to instill belief in his team no matter the situation. Was Scott Drew doing anything differently when Baylor was down 25? Did Scott hit any of those jumpers?

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

When you see that sort of disparity start a lot of times the refs will lighten up so that kind of thing didn’t happen. They never did. A good example is AJ’s 4th foul. We had them trapped in the corner. Did AJ grab some elbow?  I’m sure he did. I also know in 43 years of watching hoops I’ve seen that kind of end game press/scramble not called a ton of times. But they whistled it. Just like they whistled every single fucking call all night long on us and even a couple we didn’t deserve (AJ charge/block in the first half), loose all foul on the giant. Glancing touch on one of the three point shots in the first half etc. 

I feel like generally the tourney is called tighter (I have no evidence for that claim) and with how the game started from a foul perspective it became inevitable that fouls were going to get out of control for us

42 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Not a really big inside guy, like the rest, but missing him still hurts. 

His 6’9’” height was definitely missed tonight but not knocking him at all because don’t know why he left and it may have been possibly good reason.

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

By this logic no coach has any impact. Outside of football, arguably the biggest impact a coach has on the game is his ability to instill belief in his team no matter the situation. Was Scott Drew doing anything differently when Baylor was down 25? Did Scott hit any of those jumpers?

I think he’s saying it wasn’t a blowout BECAUSE Beard is a hell of a coach. I read it the same way you did at first but I think it’s praise of Beard

It’s easy to complain about the free throw disparity. We had 29 fouls they had 16. We fouled them shooting a lot to get to that number. You don’t get fouled as much shooting jump shots. 

Also, Edey didn’t kill us, Williams did. In fact if Edey would have played more they would’ve gone to the line 55+ times. I’d rather foul him than give him a shot in the paint.

Edey /Williams 33pts 17reb. 

Allen/Bishop/Disu/Cunn. 17pts 18rebs

Carr had better numbers than Ivey and Jones almost did. This was lost in the paint. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

In the end it was the 7-0 run with about 5 minutes to go that really just changed the game. Then we cut it to 4 and they have a 5-0 run. At that point it looked over and this team fought to get it back to 3.

The fact it was 74-71 before that turnover that wasn't speaks a ton about this team. We will be in the mix every season I am sure.

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Said it once, I’ll say it again, make the refs do a post game press conference. Make these fucks have to answer how a team shoots 46 FTs and the other shoots 11

So you can just disagree with them? There’s been many reasons given but you don’t want to hear them. I disagree with you but I’m not coming at you. Just saying that idea wouldn’t do anything helpful.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Again, didnt see it that way, but maybe I missed a freeze frame you saw

You missed one that everyone saw. It was 100% of Bishop. Not even a shred of doubt. 

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

It was by design. And, we could have had up to 4 more if we hadn’t missed the front end of 4 FTs. So you’ll say a 30 FT difference is egregious. I totally disagree in this game. When you a) try to fuck up their 7’4” guy, which we did and took him out of the game, helping our rebounding and ability to get to the rim, b) go the final 11-12 in the double bonus, and c) are down the last two minutes of the game and actively fouling, you’re gonna have a massive disparity, particularly when we don’t have an inside game and rarely take it to the hole. Anyone who looks at the stat line and concludes we got fucked by the refs in this game or any other like it is fucking retarded. So sick of seeing foul/penalty discrepancies in a vacuum as a reason to be critical of officiating in football or basketball. It is a loser mentality and underscores a lack of understanding of what is happening in the game. 

Wish I could rep more than once.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

This team is fine offensively other than the fact we didn't have an explosive guard (i.e. Isaiah Taylor) to get in the lane and create for others. Isaiah Taylor would have had Edey in foul trouble tonight but it is what is. Time to go recruit in the portal

When most ranked teams get stuck and need to break down the D to get a decent shot off, they have enough athleticism at several spots to do so. We didn't have even one guy who could consistently break down his man this year. For us to have made it as far as we did is a real credit to our players and staff. It was a borderline miracle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Or he'll probably be pragmatic and realize that to get fouls you have to go and create them.

The world of officiating isn't against Texas. Despite what this thread wants to believe. 

Yeah Beard is not going to whine the world is against him. That is Buzz's job.

Again, didnt see it that way, but maybe I missed a freeze frame you saw

I stopped that shit, rewound it, did it again. Unless he just fully stepped out of bounds before the contact with the ball even happened, then they never showed anything definitive. And with the angle they showed, there’s a slight delay from when you think the foot hits versus when it actually does.

Sterotore had his narrative and muddied the waters. Plus he was just flat out wrong on his initial reasoning.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

if you’ve got it post it. I haven’t seen it but would like to. I know we took a bunch of threes but seemed like we also took a ton of midrange 

Correct. We rarely attacked inside. Zero inside presence on this team. Needs to be remedied in the offseason

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Had Enough said:

I stopped that shit, rewound it, did it again. Unless he just fully stepped out of bounds before the contact with the ball even happened, then they never showed anything definitive. And with the angle they showed, there’s a slight delay from when you think the foot hits versus when it actually does.

Sterotore had his narrative and muddied the waters. Plus he was just flat out wrong on his initial reasoning.

That was my take, but everyone said it was clear as day. Idk, gonna have to re watch it now. 

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

That was my take, but everyone said it was clear as day. Idk, gonna have to re watch it now. 

I never saw it clearly that the foot was down and touching, but I’m sure it could be synced to show that. All I saw was Purdue guys arm pushing the ball away

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

It was by design. And, we could have had up to 4 more if we hadn’t missed the front end of 4 FTs. So you’ll say a 30 FT difference is egregious. I totally disagree in this game. When you a) try to fuck up their 7’4” guy, which we did and took him out of the game, helping our rebounding and ability to get to the rim, b) go the final 11-12 in the double bonus, and c) are down the last two minutes of the game and actively fouling, you’re gonna have a massive disparity, particularly when we don’t have an inside game and rarely take it to the hole. Anyone who looks at the stat line and concludes we got fucked by the refs in this game or any other like it is fucking retarded. So sick of seeing foul/penalty discrepancies in a vacuum as a reason to be critical of officiating in football or basketball. It is a loser mentality and underscores a lack of understanding of what is happening in the game. 

This.  There is a reason that Beard was not constantly complaining to the refs - it was the strategy.  3 players had 30 of the FT attempts for Purdue: Edey, Ivey, and Hunter.  The objective was to take away Edey's size advantage w/ physicality (if you've watched Edey at all you know that was a good approach).  Likewise, harass Ivey.  It worked for the first half, as they held him in check.  Ivey's athleticism took over in the 2nd half.

This Purdue team is built for the F4 - size, athleticism, and a lottery pick.  Let's just see if they can overcome their defensive deficiencies.

Texas played extremely well and I am super excited about the future. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

So you can just disagree with them? There’s been many reasons given but you don’t want to hear them. I disagree with you but I’m not coming at you. Just saying that idea wouldn’t do anything helpful.

You ever fucked up at your job and thought in the back of your mind “I’m gonna have to hear about this shit from my boss”? Of course they’re gonna give bullshit answers but you still force them to be accountable for their bullshit. 

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Stop. I said he was out of bounds on this thread live before they even looked at it. It was obvious. For fucks sake

Just now, taybo20 said:

I never saw it clearly that the foot was down and touching, but I’m sure it could be synced to show that. All I saw was Purdue guys arm pushing the ball away

Agree, I thought it was off them and had no doubts. But everyone here said Im missing it. Im drunk so maybe I was... But glad to see some people saw it my way. 

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So you were smart enough not to watch the ACU game last season?

That was less frustrating because I had wanted Shaka fired for years and was pretty certain it was the nail in the coffin. It was sad that it didn’t even shock me.

I wish we had those players for this game for Beard to coach. Probably a different result. 

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

if you’ve got it post it. I haven’t seen it but would like to. I know we took a bunch of threes but seemed like we also took a ton of midrange 

I watched the game and this shot chart doesn’t shock me. Stop bitching about refs JFC9A16E447-AC1B-40D2-A2DE-ED2072DE5446.thumb.jpeg.b4351740f47e82a089d5413b297041b8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

You ever fucked up at your job and thought in the back of your mind “I’m gonna have to hear about this shit from my boss”? Of course they’re gonna give bullshit answers but you still force them to be accountable for their bullshit. 

Just now, A’Dam Psycho said:

what does this have to do with 46 FTs? That’s a team tournament record for fucks sake

We didn’t attack the rim. At all.

7060CC29-AF97-4146-99C5-DF31DA966CEC.thumb.jpeg.6028ca360f1898a3d6cbcec0d343f11b.jpeg

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

what does this have to do with 46 FTs? That’s a team tournament record for fucks sake

They lived at the rim and our game plan (a good one as we were outsized in big way) was to play physical and foul on every mismatch.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Have you heard of strategy? I’d rather Edey shoot 2 shots from 15 feet away than 3 feet away for 2 pts. The strategy literally removed him from the game.