Austin -- We are losing this place

DalTxHornFan

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That being said, buying that building for $3m after sinking $200k just to cover day-to-day operations at a struggling dive bar doesn't seem like a prudent investment.

“We’re currently losing money but want to take on $2.4m in debt, please give us money for down-payment.”  

These people are running a business?!?

In other news, Los Comales on 7th shut down.  I haven’t been there in seven or eight years but it was a good “I can’t think of someplace better” choice in the neighborhood.

“We’re currently losing money but want to take on $2.4m in debt, please give us money for down-payment.”  

These people are running a business?!?
In other news, Los Comales on 7th shut down.  I haven’t been there in seven or eight years but it was a good “I can’t think of someplace better” choice in the neighborhood.

Damn. I liked Los comales.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I haven’t been there in seven or eight years

Wonder why it closed?

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

In other news, Los Comales on 7th shut down

They closed a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by HenryJames

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

That sucks. I really liked that bar. Pizza was fine but I never went there to eat. 

That being said, buying that building for $3m after sinking $200k just to cover day-to-day operations at a struggling dive bar doesn't seem like a prudent investment. And asking the general public to cover part of your $600k down payment is an interesting strategy. The people that are going to contribute to that are regulars. And regulars already spend all of their disposable income at your bar. But good luck!

asking for $100k to "close gracefully" is some bullshit. i enjoyed going there to see mostly shitty and occasionally good bands, and doing some day drinking on weekends. hell i was just there on saturday. don't think i've ever had their pizza. 

We used to get our kegs at Fiesta since we lived over in Cherrywood.  

Fun fact, a few months back my Mom was in town and being from Mexico, she gets a kick outta stores like that where you can buy a box of Fideo, box of Masa, and a Virgen de Guadalupe candle in the same aisle end-cap.  So we're checking out and there's a handwritten sign by the cashier's register that says, "Keg Barrel Deposit-$25, Keg Pump-$25."  Same exact prices as it was 25 years ago when we used to get 'em there.  FUCK YOU INFLATION! 

Drove by Dirty Martin's yesterday while on campus, wanted to stop in for a burger but was late for something.  There was a City of Austin survey crew truck parked there and dudes in vests getting out.  And I thought "Oh shit, they are gonna tear it down."  But the dudes went inside, presumably for lunch.  But it got me in a dark laugh.  I can totally see the City Eminent Domaining the property, tearing it down for the train right before their 100th anniversary.  And then just letting the site stay a pile of dirt for three years while they figure this boondoggle out.  

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 3:12 PM, utee94 said:

The burger is good. I like C&A better, but they're both good. 

And I sure hope he's just talking about a "burger at the Posse" because the thing that was once called "The Posse Burger" and is now called "the Desperado" is taco meat with jalapenos and queso on a bun.

Which was also the cheapest thing on the menu back in the late 80s, something like 1.99,  so therefore that was my go-to order.

I was there last fall and decided to try it for old times sake and well, I'm glad I have a little money now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2024 at 10:05 PM, Not a cat said:

Which was also the cheapest thing on the menu back in the late 80s, something like 1.99,  so therefore that was my go-to order.

I was there last fall and decided to try it for old times sake and well, I'm glad I have a little money now.

In the early 90s I could get a pitcher of Shiner Bock for $3.50 and drop that huge 14% tip to make it an even $4.  

On 4/19/2024 at 1:32 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Just went to Breed’s. Across the street it looked like Junior’s closed.

That may or may not be permanent.  New property owner is weighing options.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, HenryJames said:

Good. They sucked.

What do you have against cold beer?

47 minutes ago, utee94 said:

In the early 90s I could get a pitcher of Shiner Bock for $3.50 and drop that huge 14% tip to make it an even $4.  

Our go-to was multiple pitchers of Shiner Bock plus either Sheriff sammiches or nachos.  I cannot fathom how much beer I consumed there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Our go-to was multiple pitchers of Shiner Bock plus either Sheriff sammiches or nachos.  I cannot fathom how much beer I consumed there.

By my senior year I was there for lunch and/or dinner pretty much every day.  We were such regulars that I got to know the manager, Eddie, pretty well. Every now and then when I was desperate I'd park out back and Eddie would yell at me that it was only for customers and I'd reply "you know I'll be back here in a couple of hours for the rest of the day."  He'd grunt but then smile and say, "well that's true."

One morning I parked there around 9:30 before they were open.  He gave me his standard line about parking being for customers only, and I responded "Okay, can you sell me a beer?"  He walked over behind the bar, poured a Shiner Bock for me and said, "well we're not open so I can't SELL you a beer."  That day I skipped classes and drank beer all day long, my usual crowd of band and engineer friends swung by throughout the day, and at some point that night I ended up at The Crazy Lady with Eddie the manager, two of my crew, and a peeler named "Cocoa."  That was a long, interesting day...

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 4

My low point was when a good friend's hot older sister, who was a PhD candidate in Econ, invited me to the Posse for beers.  About 4 pitchers in I was so addled I didn't realize what was actually going on.

Did I mention I was a dumbass?

I tried Verdad Kitchen for the first time, and I think it easily has the best fajitas in Austin.  To be sure, “best fajitas in Austin” is a low bar compared to Houston or San Antonio, but I would put these up against el tiempo, pappasitos, la piscina etc.  Definitely on the pricy side, however.

We also ran into Cooper Manning, so another positive data point.

19 hours ago, Professor Chesney said:

To be sure, “best fajitas in Austin” is a low bar compared to Houston or San Antonio, but I would put these up against el tiempo, pappasitos, la piscina etc.

Yeah if only there was a papasitos in Austin.

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

On 4/23/2024 at 9:29 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

What was Foxtrot

I think the first one in Austin opened off Burnet across from Pinthouse a year or so ago, a few blocks from my old house.  It was a decent place to walk to and pick up some quick food, beer, wine, etc.  But seemed like an upscale convenience store that really depended on a lot of local neighborhood support to anchor its revenue.  It started in Chicago, and I saw a few locations when I was there last summer.  

On 4/18/2023 at 7:52 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I almost posted a photo of it from reddit the other day but figured it had been posted 47 times already.

7ad3225cbd701ce70626a8c83667e1cd.jpg

Is that the corner of 21st and speedway? Son of a bitch. I used to live in a two story house that was to the left of where that orange front loader is. Right behind Record Exchange (RIP). I'm not sure of this "Sound Exchange" y'all speak of. 

Duplex split upstairs and downstairs. We lived upstairs, couple of chick lived downstairs. They would call us about once a week or so to come out and run the drag worms off their front porch. Our kitchen window faced north. You could see into the windows of a Jewish student center. We'd gather and drink beer and watch their aerobics classes at 5 and 6 pm MWF. Anybody remember the ass floss outfits the ladies would wear over their tights when doing aerobics? I member. 

Rent was 400 bucks a month (350 in the summer). Not 400 each, 400 total for a two bedroom one bath with kitchen and living room. Literally less than 50 yards from campus. No central AC though. But back then there would only be a handful to maybe two weeks worth of 100+ days during the summer. 

And speaking of Liberty Lunch-- I saw Slayer (Hell Awaits tour), GWAR, Dead Milkmen, Morphine, too many more to remember there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/25/2024 at 7:53 AM, South Austin said:

I think the first one in Austin opened off Burnet across from Pinthouse a year or so ago, a few blocks from my old house.  It was a decent place to walk to and pick up some quick food, beer, wine, etc.  But seemed like an upscale convenience store that really depended on a lot of local neighborhood support to anchor its revenue.  It started in Chicago, and I saw a few locations when I was there last summer.  

Corporate in Chicago apparently announced that the whole company was shutting down.  I would occasionally drop into the one on 2nd street for a coffee/pastry if I was DT in the morning but that was it.   My wife and I were pointing out the one near the Austin mural since it looked like it had a really cool interior patio but, ah well, never mind.  It never even achieved Old Austin status.