2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Vag level extremely high tonight on surly. Keep the train rolling boys. We got rich people problems . 2nd best record in baseball and closing in on yanks fast. Stay healthy and get hot in October . Let’s play in 4 of last 6 fall classics. Go stros !

• Hook 'Em 2

That was not a fun series to watch. Way too much stress involved in taking 2 of 3 against the utterly dysfunctional Halos. Aside from Wednesday, most of their offense consisted of our defense shitting on our own dicks.

That said...we just won a 5th straight series with some really shitty lineups. We look absolutely deflated dragging ourselves towards the ASB and yet we're still winning more often than not. I'll take that over the alternative.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

That was not a fun series to watch. Way too much stress involved in taking 2 of 3 against the utterly dysfunctional Halos. Aside from Wednesday, most of their offense consisted of our defense shitting on our own dicks.

That said...we just won a 5th straight series with some really shitty lineups. We look absolutely deflated dragging ourselves towards the ASB and yet we're still winning more often than not. I'll take that over the alternative.

I believe the radio broadcast last night said with the win, the Astros have a winning record on the last seven road trips. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is anybody worried that Framber’s new hairdo is going to make him more dynamic and therefore leas sweaty? 

They were talking about that on the radio last night.  Sparky said he thought it probably cost him $2-300 to have that done and Ford guessed $1000.  Sparky also said that the first day Framber came in with it that he went to Dusty's office to show it off to him, lulz.

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Can’t wait to see today’s lineup. I’m guessing it will look something like this:

Dubon 2B

Peña SS

Diaz 3B

Tucker DH

Meyers CF

Matijevic 1B

McCorrmick LF

Siri RF

Lee C

What does Tucker have to do to get an off day up in this bitch? 
that’s a pretty dreadful lineup. It’s also way better than the hot garbage the A’s will trot out there. They are fixing to bring piss to a shit fight. 

I am going tomorrow; driving in from DFW and taking my boy to see his favorite player, which is Jose Altuve. Before yesterday, we were looking ok as we were only missing Uncle Mike and Yordan and JV was on the bump. Now Altuve is out too and Odo may be on the bump.  I guess it could be worse but damn. 

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Altuve, Bregman, Verlander, Brantley, Gurriel, McCullers

5 total players.. Not to mention a Manager and GM. And to top it all off, we are improving from that 2017 squad, not just trying to hold it together.  

I've said it before here but Crane is a winner. I think we will always be competitive as long as he's the owner. We are the KC Chiefs of the MLB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting. I wouldn't rank SP as a high-priority for the deadline. I'd rather see us go after Mancini and Benintendi, but adding Castillo to our rotation would make us better.

His contract runs through 2023, so it would provide some insurance against JV declining his player option for next season and going after a more lucrative contract. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

7 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

His contract runs through 2023, so it would provide some insurance against JV declining his player option for next season and going after a more lucrative contract. 

i'm typically naive about these things, but i can't see verlander going somewhere for more money.  he seems pretty comfortable and likes the guys and knows we're in the race every year.  not sure what more you could want, but it's not like he has to worry about money.  if he gets a bunch of years or if some tiger reunion happens, i get that, but nothing else really makes sense to me.

right now he's legacy building.  you do that by piling up regular seasons stats (wins, innings, k's) and by accumulating postseason stats/trophies/titles.  no better place than where he already is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texashorne said:

5 total players.. Not to mention a Manager and GM. And to top it all off, we are improving from that 2017 squad, not just trying to hold it together.  

I've said it before here but Crane is a winner. I think we will always be competitive as long as he's the owner. We are the KC Chiefs of the MLB. 

Crane is a winner but I'm not to keen with letting players go simply want an extra year on a long term deal. Still a bit confused on the Alvarez deal for 6 years when I thought Crane only goes 5, no? 

Crane will get the glory, so will the GM, but the real stars IMO are the underlings who evaluate talent. Baseball evaluation is infinitely more difficult than the other 2 major sports which rely much more on raw physical traits. It's damn hard for a baseball team to be this good for a 5-6 year stretch in this era of player movement, but here we are. Wow, what  a thrill man. 

10 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Crane is a winner but I'm not to keen with letting players go simply want an extra year on a long term deal. Still a bit confused on the Alvarez deal for 6 years when I thought Crane only goes 5, no? 

If you look at that deal, the Astros simply bought out his 3 arbitration years for $32M and locked his first 3 years of free agency at $26M/yr

44 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Interesting. I wouldn't rank SP as a high-priority for the deadline. I'd rather see us go after Mancini and Benintendi, but adding Castillo to our rotation would make us better.

Benintendi is just a Michael Brantley who cant play in Canada. Unless Brantley is not going to be healthy by October, I don’t see the point.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, kevwun said:

You can never have too many good starting pitchers.  Let's do it.

Yep  - If we can get a TOR without giving up Brown I say you go do it.  

You set up your staff for the playoffs.   LMJ ain't gonna give us shit, and if he does it really should be from the bullpen only.  I would feel way more comfortable with JV, Castillo/Montas, Framber, then one of the other guys as the 4.  Let Javier come in from the pen.  Remove Maton/Abreu from anything significant and leave one of them off roster.  LMJ(maybe), Javier, Neris, Montero, Stanek, Pressly main parts of the pen.  Grab a Lefty RP.  

With all that being said I would probably only do it for Castillo or Montas.  Everyone else is really just a guy, and we have guys just as good, or better than them already.  

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

If you look at that deal, the Astros simply bought out his 3 arbitration years for $32M and locked his first 3 years of free agency at $26M/yr

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a hard no on Montas. He’s been on the shelf since July 3 with shoulder inflammation. Was originally scheduled to return this weekend until a bullpen session this week pushed it back until after the ASG. That doesn’t leave much time to evaluate before the deadline. 

5 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Can’t wait to see today’s lineup. I’m guessing it will look something like this:

Dubon 2B

Peña SS

Diaz 3B

Tucker DH

Meyers CF

Matijevic 1B

McCorrmick LF

Siri RF

Lee C

8 out of 9. Bregman is the only one you missed. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor