2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

we’re not carrying 3 catchers. Maldy is catching all the games. Maton is in the roster, not brown 

Carrying three catchers was a thing in 2017 because our backup catcher (Gattis) was our primary DH.  Couldn’t get into a situation where McCann got hurt and you needed the backup catcher who was in the lineup as DH, which would cost you the DH spot.  
Unless Yordan moves to catcher, we will not have three catchers on a playoff roster for at least the next six years.  

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

we’re not carrying 3 catchers. Maldy is catching all the games. Maton is in the roster, not brown 

I’m talking playoffs. We have this argument every year. There is not 13 pitchers on our traditional playoff roster.  We keep 12. One year I believe we only went 11 in the first round. That leaves plenty of room for 3 catchers. The reason you keep 3 catchers, even though maldy will catch every game, is so that you can be aggressive with PH him when we are down and still have an emergency guy. I’d the 3rd catcher is a good hitter even better. 
besides- I said that was my ideal roster, not a prediction for what would happen. 

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so odorizzi, castro, and maton get left off. not mad at that. did you mean dubon instead of diaz?  you listed diaz twice. 

No- Diaz the catcher in the minors. Big stick. Shitty glove. Good enough for insurance in a game you start PH for Maldy bc you are chasing the game. 

Some people were giving me shit for saying wait on Jake, wait on Jake, wait on Jake- he’s the solution to our CF problem. 
we are seeing this play out. The guy has an awesome bat for a CFer that hits 8th in this lineup when everyone is healthy. 
he’s got to be by far the best #8 hitter in MLB. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Some people were giving me shit for saying wait on Jake, wait on Jake, wait on Jake- he’s the solution to our CF problem. 
we are seeing this play out. The guy has an awesome bat for a CFer that hits 8th in this lineup when everyone is healthy. 
he’s got to be by far the best #8 hitter in MLB. 

Dusty's gonna bench him now

• Haha 1