2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 minutes ago, dr99 said:

They were trying to will the Astros not winning the division into existence

That is 1 billion percent how it read and sounded. You could tell nobody had any valid reason for it they just wanted it to be that way. 
disingenuous shit heads in the press. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I thought we would this division by 20 games and I still believe that. 

The Rangers are shitty and in 2nd place. That's all you need to know. 

I think I predicted the Rangers to be much improved and the Mariners to be big disappointments. I thought the angels would win 88 or 90 or something. 

I think I read somewhere that Urquidy scrapped his cutter and went back to his slider or something like that 3 starts ago. It was how he was pitching last year. Anyway/ he’s been really really good his last 3 starts since he did that, and not against crappy lineups either. 
he was the only guy who hasn’t been solidly above average on this staff this year. But he has been in the past. And he’s done it in mug games. And he’s back to doing what he’s done successfully before. 

Just now, The Dog said:

Why did the Mariners get so much hype anyway?

Because people are stupid. They made a big jump last year to 91 wins and nobody that writes for a living outside of Bill James appreciated or understands the plexiglass principle. They view that as a way station on an upward course when in reality it’s almost always a wall to bounce off of and the team has a worse record the next year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Even the Angels were getting some hype before the season. 

The Rangers made some sense with the free agent moves but I don't know how anybody could believe they were going to challenge the Astros. 

Yeah- nobody had the Rangers winning the division or anything. But I thought they might finish with like 82-85 wins. 

14 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

The best part of having so many options in the rotation, the competition on the team to keep a spot in it. We are legitimately 8 deep right now (including Brown) in guys I would feel comfortable with starting in the playoffs.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

Don't let Wulaw see y'all sleeping on Whitley!

Brown is in line in front of Whitley I have to think

i thought the people asking for more starters before the year were crazy, now I think it must be a bit to say you want to add an arm at the deadline and are against trading anyone. 
We have too much pitching. Period. Full stop. You don’t need 11 guys in your organization that can be above average starters. You need 4 starters, tops, in the playoffs. 
The Astros are going to win the division by 20 games. 
I contend that the Astros could still win the division with an August and September rotation of Bielak, Whitley, Brown, Odorizi and Urquidy. That would literally mean skipping the entire best 5 in your organization. We can’t even get innings in the bullpen to Brian Abreu. It’s overkill in a numbers standpoint. If you can trade one or two of those guys for something that is valuable in the future you can do it. If you can make the team bette this year dealing out of your surplus then do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The only concern with Brown are the walks but I refuse to believe he's not going to be a good big leaguer. 

If he can figure out the walks I truly believe he can become an ace here. 

Yeah, if he improves his control, he's going to be a very good starter.  The only time he gets in trouble in AAA is when he doesn't throw strikes.  He's unhittable at that level when he's on.

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We aren’t to the all star break yet. Injuries can and will happen. Let’s pump the breaks on trading a starting pitcher just yet. 

Sure. August 3rd is the deadline. You should know about LMJ and Odo by then. You might also be ready to bring up Brown at this rate, and you should have a little bit more data on Whitley. I think he’s probably next year though. 

Just looked at the schedule and we literally are down to 14 games against teams that are really good. 
2- NYY

3- Boston

3- atlanta

6- Tampa Bay. 

we also have 3 with the Twins and 4 with the Guardians but I don’t count them because they suck and we should win convincingly. 

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, if he improves his control, he's going to be a very good starter.  The only time he gets in trouble in AAA is when he doesn't throw strikes.  He's unhittable at that level when he's on.

I really hope we don't move Brown but you have to wonder how much value he has and the Astros need another big bat. 

Seems like we have better options to move  but Brown's swing and miss stuff must have other teams salivating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just looked at the schedule and we literally are down to 14 games against teams that are really good. 
2- NYY

3- Boston

3- atlanta

6- Tampa Bay. 

we also have 3 with the Twins and 4 with the Guardians but I don’t count them because they suck and we should win convincingly. 

If it goes like 2021, our heroes will be swept by the Tigers and Baltimore.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think I predicted the Rangers to be much improved and the Mariners to be big disappointments. I thought the angels would win 88 or 90 or something. 

I don't understand how anyone of sane mind could think the Rump Rangers offseason was even remotely good.  I guess I'll let you off the hook for saying much improved and yes they will lose far less than 102 games this season.  However they spent way too much money on 2 shortstops in Corey Seager (10 yr $325 million) and Marcus Semien (7 yr $175 million) who are both performing very middle of the road then traded for Mitch Garver who is performing adequately at the plate for a catcher but not exactly moving the needle. I mean tying up half a billion dollars in 2 players that play the same position and produced 3 all star appearances across 16 MLB seasons is the stuff desperate fart huffers do not someone looking to actually win divisions and do things in the playoffs.  We still have a ways to go in terms of evening the Silver Boot stats but the last 6 years have been a fart huffer bloodbath in terms of when looking at the two franchises historical performance when prior to that a case could be made that both were relatively equal.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2- NYY

3- Boston

3- atlanta

6- Tampa Bay. 

And all 6 against Tampa should be after the division is clinched 

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

If it goes like 2021, our heroes will be swept by the Tigers and Baltimore.

Eyeing that 7 game mid-august trip to the south side and atlanta followed by Correa’s return to Houston for the annual 2nd half swoon… but hoping for LMJ to return and provide a spark and keep things loose 

55 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I really hope we don't move Brown but you have to wonder how much value he has and the Astros need another big bat. 

Seems like we have better options to move  but Brown's swing and miss stuff must have other teams salivating. 

well, we don’t really have to wonder.  He’s #100 on Jim Callis’ list and probably #100-#150 elsewhere.  I doubt that commands the kind of bat the Astros would (I think) target (I think they prefer someone at least a couple of seasons away from free agency).  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

well, we don’t really have to wonder.  He’s #100 on Jim Callis’ list and probably #100-#150 elsewhere.  I doubt that commands the kind of bat the Astros would (I think) target (I think they prefer someone at least a couple of seasons away from free agency).  

My bet would be that he’s considered borderline top 50 guy right now within the industry. But yeah- i don’t think that probably seals the deal on a big bat with a couple years of control, and that’s likely too much for a guy like Josh Bell from the Astros perspective. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2- NYY

3- Boston

3- atlanta

6- Tampa Bay. 

Yep. We have the easiest schedule ROS

https://www.tankathon.com/mlb/remaining_schedule_strength

• Hook 'Em 1

14 games between now and the All-Star break..

Vs Angels (tomorrow)
Vs Royals (4 games)
At A’s (3 games)
At Angels (3 games)
Vs A’s (3 games)

Currently 50-27. If the Astros can go 10-4 against that, they’ll have 60 wins at the break with 71 games remaining. A barely above .500 second half would get them 100 wins. I didn’t think this was a 100 win team before the season started. I felt this was a 90 win type team that would enter the playoffs as one of those experienced teams that that had a punchers chance to win it all. I underestimated the pitching. 

• Like 1

Remember when everyone on this thread was pissed off about this team like the entire month of April? 

Was gonna post about this early this afternoon, still funny to me how many chicken littles were posting like the run of badassery was over after three weeks of play.