2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lance infected everyone! 

The day before lance got sick, the Astro wives had a baby shower for urquidy’s wife. His wife was a big part of it 

also, can we empty the locker room and spray down from ceiling to floor, the. Run a super uv light ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

We could see bregman hitting #2. M’s staff throws sliders 44% of the time. Pena can’t hit sliders 

I'm not sure that's accurate anymore. It seems he's made some adjustments after his midseason slump.

Is the worst version of Jeremy Peña behind us? - The Crawfish Boxes

And speaking of adjustments, Peña went from being awfully bad against breaking pitches to destroying those deliveries after putting up some work.

In the second mentioned span, he was a .162/.171/.297 hitter against 76 breaking deliveries with 26 strikeouts and two home runs over 74 at-bats. But since August 30, Peña has posted a .289/.289/.600 line against the same offerings with 12 punchouts and four homers across 45 at-bats.

Edited by formermav43
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I'm not sure that's accurate anymore. It seems he's made some adjustments after his midseason slump.

Is the worst version of Jeremy Peña behind us? - The Crawfish Boxes

rookies who start quickly because there's no "book" on them, typically scuffle once scouts see them and pitchers adjust.  how quickly (if at all) the hitter adjusts to those adjustments usually determine how good they'll be or how long it will take to reach their potential.  lots of rookies fade near the end of their first year and that often gets blamed on the long(er) season, but "the book on them" is also a factor.

i liked a lot of what i saw out of pena the last 4-6 weeks.  his chase rate was down, and when he made contact, the ball flew.  i still am not sold that he should be the 2 hitter, but it's hard to argue with the w/l stats, and it does lengthen our lineup.  if pena and yuli have decent postseasons, we'll be in great shape.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I see any easy way to save $5.3M:

"an expensive winter".  javier, tuck, framber for $16mm.  they're a steal at 5x the price.  fuck off, chandler, that's not even a real name.

we're in the position we're in now because we didn't have an expensive winter last year chasing correa, semien, seager, bryant, and a bunch of other guys we thought we wanted who are all at home now.

our biggest problem seems to be a glut of good pitching which means we have to make trades.  ditching odorizzi didn't even make a dent.

as for bregman and altuve, i'll gladly suffer through their down years to keep them here as long as they want.  ditto jv and lmj.  and yordan.  and tucker.  we just need to make sure our scouting dept can keep drafting the daz camerons and seth beers of the world (among others) so we can make trades when we need to.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. Maton needs to be traded. James,Taylor and Dubon just flat out DFA as I can’t imagine anyone trading something for any of them. 

You say that about Dubon now. But he's about to become Oct. 1985 Buddy Biancalana.

OK, maybe not...but I still think he's going to make a positive contribution before all's said and done. . 

I haven’t thought about the playoffs for a week, being on the cruise and then texas OU. I’m scared. I’m always scared in the early round, just because I know we are better but randomness is just such a motherfucker.  We haven’t spit the bit yet during this dynasty and lost early. Love to keep that working. 

• Hook 'Em 2