2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

Such a shitty draft that still managed to produce a player in the late rounds that the twolves gave up too much for

Just goes to show how hard and unlikely it is to hit on an all nba player in the first round. Especially in the 20s.

Utah managed to do it.

Since 2013: gobert, siakam, Duonte Murray, jarret Allen

Are the only all stars selected in the 20s

So that’s 4 out of 96 total picks between 2013-2020.

The 2013 draft class was trash.  In most drafts, you can get good role players or better with picks in the 20+ range.  Here are some key players drafted 20+ from the 2014, 2015, 2016 classes:

• 2014 #41 - Nikola Jokic - 2x MVP
  • 2014 #25 - Clint Capela - 2021 rebounding champ
  • 2014 #39 - Jerami Grant - 21 pts, 4.4 reb last 2 years
  • 2014 #46 - Jordan Clarkson - 2021 6th Man of Year
  • 2014 #38 - Spencer Dinwiddie - 21 pts, 6.8 ast in 2020
  • 2014 #27 - Bogdan Bogdanovic - All rookie, 152 starts
  • 2014 #30 - Kyle Anderson - 248 career starts
  • 2014 #33 - Joe Harris - 249 career starts

--------------------------------------------------------

• 2015 #32 - Montrezl Harrell - 2020 6th Man of Year
  • 2015 #22 - Bobby Portis - 14.6 pts, 9.1 reb, 2021 Champ
  • 2015 #46 - Norman Powell - 21 pts last year, 2019 Champ
  • 2015 #40 - Josh Richardson - 306 starts
  • 2015 #30 - Kevon Loony - 150 starts, 3x NBA Champ
  • 2015 #37  - Richaun Holmes - 160 starts
  • 2015 #31 - Cedi Osman - 181 starts

• 2016 #27 - Pascal Siakam - 2X All-Star, NBA Champ
  • 2016 #29 - DeJounte Murray - 1x All-Star, STL champ
  • 2016 #36 - Malcolm Brogdon - 2017 RoY, 20 pts, 6 ast last 2 years
  • 2016 #20 - Caris LeVert - 18.4 pts, 4.7 ast, 4.1 reb last 2 years
  • 2016 #32 - Ivica Zubac - 227 starts

2017 adds: Jarrett Allen (22), Kyle Kuzma (27), OG Anunoby (23), Derrick White (29), Josh Hart (30), 

Don't get me wrong, I still think Utah could have gotten better picks for Mitchell, but they will have so much volume that at least a few of them should hit.  They also should be able to combine picks and trade up.

The assumption that all these Minnesota and Cleveland picks are going to be in the 20s is not one I would take for granted.   Those are markets and franchises that aren’t exactly desirable to players who have other options.

Kinda like both franchises know their current ceiling with current rosters. MN addressed it by getting the best rim protecting centers and a great rebounder. Cleveland addressed it by getting an option with garland. Both know if they kept their ‘23 picks or whatever, they weren’t getting anyone close to the caliber as these 2 and also fit the window of opportunity

The 2013 draft class was trash.  In most drafts, you can get good role players or better with picks in the 20+ range.  Here are some key players drafted 20+ from the 2014, 2015, 2016 classes:
  • 2014 #41 - Nikola Jokic - 2x MVP
  • 2014 #25 - Clint Capela - 2021 rebounding champ
  • 2014 #39 - Jerami Grant - 21 pts, 4.4 reb last 2 years
  • 2014 #46 - Jordan Clarkson - 2021 6th Man of Year
  • 2014 #38 - Spencer Dinwiddie - 21 pts, 6.8 ast in 2020
  • 2014 #27 - Bogdan Bogdanovic - All rookie, 152 starts
  • 2014 #30 - Kyle Anderson - 248 career starts
  • 2014 #33 - Joe Harris - 249 career starts
  • 2015 #32 - Montrezl Harrell - 2020 6th Man of Year
  • 2015 #22 - Bobby Portis - 14.6 pts, 9.1 reb, 2021 Champ
  • 2015 #46 - Norman Powell - 21 pts last year, 2019 Champ
  • 2015 #40 - Josh Richardson - 306 starts
  • 2015 #30 - Kevon Loony - 150 starts, 3x NBA Champ
  • 2015 #37  - Richaun Holmes - 160 starts
  • 2015 #31 - Cedi Osman - 181 starts
  • 2016 #27 - Pascal Siakam - 2X All-Star, NBA Champ
  • 2016 #29 - DeJounte Murray - 1x All-Star, STL champ
  • 2016 #36 - Malcolm Brogdon - 2017 RoY, 20 pts, 6 ast last 2 years
  • 2016 #20 - Caris LeVert - 18.4 pts, 4.7 ast, 4.1 reb last 2 years
  • 2016 #32 - Ivica Zubac - 227 starts
2017 adds: Jarrett Allen (22), Kyle Kuzma (27), OG Anunoby (23), Derrick White (29), Josh Hart (30), 
Don't get me wrong, I still think Utah could have gotten better picks for Mitchell, but they will have so much volume that at least a few of them should hit.  They also should be able to combine picks and trade up.

Right. There’ll be mostly solid players who’ll have lengthy careers playing for multiple teams in the range of picks. Utah likely isn’t getting any sort of a cornerstone with MNs first few picks. Maybe in 2029. I don’t even know what I’m gonna have for supper tomorrow so I won’t pretend to know what the landscape will look like in 7 years

Also let’s not forget about the dreaded P word…potential.

Did Ainge get ANY young potential? Ochai Agbai? Collin Sexton? For 2 perennial all stars?

Minnesota kept their 4 best players. Cleveland kept their 3 best.

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Utah likely isn’t getting any sort of a cornerstone with MNs first few picks. Maybe in 2029.

Uhhh... sure, Jan. You have Ant for one more season after this season. If he doesn't resign you're going to be shitty again. 

I'm coming around to the thinking that Cleveland didn't get fleeced on the trade. I've always understood why they would do it. Their trade definitely makes a shit ton more sense than the Wolves' Gobert trade.

On the value of late first round picks, the best you can hope for with any first round pick is a consistent NBA starter level player. If you're holding your breath for a superstar you're going to be disappointed even picking in the lottery.

15 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Kinda like both franchises know their current ceiling with current rosters. MN addressed it by getting the best rim protecting centers and a great rebounder. Cleveland addressed it by getting an option with garland. Both know if they kept their ‘23 picks or whatever, they weren’t getting anyone close to the caliber as these 2 and also fit the window of opportunity

I don't think Cleveland has any idea what their ceiling is. They barely scratched the surface of what they could be last year and they were 35-21 before the injury bug hit. That's a 51 win pace in the most competitive Eastern Conference in years. They have a completely different ceiling with Garland (yr 3 - 22 years old)) and Mobley (rookie - 20 years old) plus Allen (23 years old) on a team friendly contract vs. perennial losers KAT (26 years old), Russell (25 years old) and Gobert (29 years old) on max or near max contracts. Unless Anthony Edwards turns into Michael Jordan, it isn't even close to the same ceiling. 

15 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Right. There’ll be mostly solid players who’ll have lengthy careers playing for multiple teams in the range of picks. Utah likely isn’t getting any sort of a cornerstone with MNs first few picks. Maybe in 2029. I don’t even know what I’m gonna have for supper tomorrow so I won’t pretend to know what the landscape will look like in 7 years

Also let’s not forget about the dreaded P word…potential.

Did Ainge get ANY young potential? Ochai Agbai? Collin Sexton? For 2 perennial all stars?

Minnesota kept their 4 best players. Cleveland kept their 3 best.

And again, you keep talking about those picks like they are guaranteed to be in the late first round. You are an injury or two away from the lottery. I don't mind the volume of picks and swaps as much as I don't like that they are completely 100% unprotected.  

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

Uhhh... sure, Jan. You have Ant for one more season after this season. If he doesn't resign you're going to be shitty again. 

He's not turning down the 200M MIN will be able to offer him.    4 yrs after that, maybe or he may push for a trade but he isn't just walking next yr

I'm coming around to the thinking that Cleveland didn't get fleeced on the trade. I've always understood why they would do it. Their trade definitely makes a shit ton more sense than the Wolves' Gobert trade.
On the value of late first round picks, the best you can hope for with any first round pick is a consistent NBA starter level player. If you're holding your breath for a superstar you're going to be disappointed even picking in the lottery.

Well when you think Rudy Gobert and Donte Divancisnzio are the same caliber player, no shit Mitchell trade makes sense.
  • Fuck You 1

And again, you keep talking about those picks like they are guaranteed to be in the late first round. You are an injury or two away from the lottery. I don't mind the volume of picks and swaps as much as I don't like that they are completely 100% unprotected.  

For the 300th time. Wolves ceiling was last year and they needed height for rebounds and shot blocking so they got the best in the league.

KAT isn’t a championship level center. He’s also not a championship level #1 option, that’s what the betting on Ant will be soon. KAT and Rudy will always be on the court, barring foul trouble or injury. How is that a bad thing?

Sure the wolves could lose 4 starters to ACL injuries by November. In fact I wouldn’t be shocked with our luck. I’d still do the trade knowing we’re going for the jugular instead of waiting for player developments or getting lottery luck. Wolves have had probably 24 lotto picks out of 32 years…that we were in the lotto. Won it twice. Have never moved up from where we were slated to pick. Fuck that bullshit behind the door game.

Just goes to show how hard and unlikely it is to hit on an all nba player in the first round. Especially in the 20s.

Utah managed to do it.

Since 2013: gobert, siakam, Duonte Murray, jarret Allen

Are the only all stars selected in the 20s

So that’s 4 out of 96 total picks between 2013-2020.
And did nothing really with it and are now rebuilding. Either you have a superstar or better yet, more than one and you compete or you don't and you will forever be a middle of the pack team. None of those guys were true superstars

But your point is spot on. They did excellent with those picks. They just couldn't attract a superstar and like OKC, they probably never will unless it's home grown.

Hadnt weighed in the Mitchell trade yet.   While I think Mitchell is better than Sexton, I'm not sure he is Lauri, Obaji, the 22nd pick this yr and basically control of your draft for the next five yrs better than Sexton.    They are very much the same type of player

8 hours ago, d2o said:

Hadnt weighed in the Mitchell trade yet.   While I think Mitchell is better than Sexton, I'm not sure he is Lauri, Obaji, the 22nd pick this yr and basically control of your draft for the next five yrs better than Sexton.    They are very much the same type of player

Mitchell is way better than Sexton. and they aren't similar players either. Mitchell is bigger and stronger, and is much more explosive, along with being a better all around plauer who impacts the game in more ways than Sexton. Mitchell is a volume scoring athlete who also contributes with rebounds, assists, and steals. he's been in the league five years and has been named an all star the last three years, and he's got multiple 50+ point playoff games under his belt.

Sexton is an average - above average shooting guard who'll likely never be an all star or have the playoff success that Mitchell has already had. Mitchell right now is likely a bettye player than Sexton will ever be. 

8 hours ago, d2o said:

I disagree. Mitchell plays winning basketball. It’s easier to put up big numbers on a losing team. Those numbers mean an entirely different thing when your team has the best record in the conference. Sexton is an unrepentant ball hog. Mitchell was throwing up clutch basket after clutch basket while scoring 57 in a playoff game. Also, Lauri was an overpay and he has a girl’s name. They’re better off with him off the books. 

Man, sure is a good thing for Minnesota that Luka doesn't play in the Western Conference.

Wrapping my head around what it is you’re trying to even prove here.

Like Luka only presents a match up problem for MN and not the other 28 teams?

Gobert would be guarding Luka full time?

Gobert shot 90% from the floor this game, did Luka defend him there?

I disagree. Mitchell plays winning basketball. It’s easier to put up big numbers on a losing team. Those numbers mean an entirely different thing when your team has the best record in the conference. Sexton is an unrepentant ball hog. Mitchell was throwing up clutch basket after clutch basket while scoring 57 in a playoff game. Also, Lauri was an overpay and he has a girl’s name. They’re better off with him off the books. 

You’d probably have a point if every playoff was in the bubble.

Last 2 playoffs, he wasn’t even close to his bubble stats. And definitely didn’t play winning basketball against Dallas a few months ago …that said I’m not saying sexton isn’t close to Mitchell’s level.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen sexton play.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Fair enough about the bubble and he along with the entire team laid an egg this playoff, but he did average 35 per game against the clippers year before while being hounded by two of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Also it’s difficult to play winning basketball when your center tanks team chemistry, is such a non-threat on offense that you are essentially playing 4 on 5 on that end of the court, and is a defensive anchor who gets played off the floor against small ball lineups in crunch time. But you will find that out soon enough for yourself. Regardless, that comment was made comparatively to Sexton who’s team doubled its win total after he got hurt. Garland became an all star once they took the ball out of his ever loving chucker hands. He was addition by subtraction and I can’t believe Utah gave him that contract. 

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Wrapping my head around what it is you’re trying to even prove here.

Like Luka only presents a match up problem for MN and not the other 28 teams?

Gobert would be guarding Luka full time?

Gobert shot 90% from the floor this game, did Luka defend him there?

The point is: the "best in the league shot blocker and defender" has a massive target on his back against pick and roll heavy teams with elite perimeter players. You know, like in the playoffs.

If an offensively limited 3x DPOY not only can't slow down great players, but actually makes them more prolific and efficient, what exactly is he giving you?

I was a bit surprised by the details of the Gobert trade. So just to clear things up, here is what the Twolves gave up for Gobert:

Traded to Utah (UTH) from Minnesota (MIN) with 2026 1st round pick [UTH right to swap] , 2027 1st round pick [unprotected] , 2025 1st round pick [unprotected] , 2023 1st round pick [top-12 protected, conveys to 2nd-round pick] , Leandro Bolmaro , Jarred Vanderbilt , Patrick Beverley , Malik Beasley and 2029 1st round pick [top-5 protected] for Rudy Gobert

It's 4 FRPs and a right to swap in 2026.  2029 is protected top 5, which limits their exposure a little bit.  The potential swap in 2026 requires Utah to be good in 4 years (unlikely), and the 2023 is lottery protected. I don't think that is too bad really, and the pieces they gave up aren't that important. 

Compare that to the picks Utah got from Cleveland:

Traded to Cleveland (CLE) from Utah (UTH) for Lauri Markkanen, Collin Sexton, Ochai Agbaji, 2025 1st round pick [unprotected] , 2027 1st round pick [unprotected] , 2029 1st round pick [unprotected] , 2026 1st round pick [UTH right to swap] and 2028 1st round pick [UTH right to swap]

You can see the Cavs unprotected all the picks and swaps. The 2026 swap is the same year as Minny, so I'm not sure how that will work if Utah somehow does better than both teams. However, the picks don't start until 2025, because Cleveland sent their 2023 to Indy for LeVert last year. The delay aligns with Mitchell's 3 year contract too, so if he leaves for New York or wherever, the Cavs will be hurting a bit when those picks kick in. It makes sense for Utah to delay the picks, but they likely only get the 3 FRPs.

Realistically though, it's unlikely any of the pick swaps will happen. So let's say it's 3 FRPs in the 20s and 3 capable players that can be flipped for other assets in the future. That's a pretty good haul for Utah to get about 6 assets, while Cleveland gets a dynamic scorer who can hopefully be the assassin they need to close out games. Trading 4 dimes and 2 nickels for a dollar bill isn't a bad deal. I love the trade for the Cavs, given their current roster and potential. It's a very solid starting 4 players, just need a consistent SF to solidify it.

Utah gives up 4 likely FRPs and a bunch of filler salary.  That's not terrible if they are committed to spending money and being very competitive the next 5 years. They need to supermax Ant though, which is likely to happen. But given Goberts and KATs future salary, they will need to spend A LOT to be competitive, including luxury tax out the ass. Ownership better be ready to light money on fire or this will be an awful trade in a few years. 

They are pretty well guaranteed to be at least a playoff team for 3 years, and that will cover 2 of those picks. So it's just the 27 and 29 firsts that are really at risk, but if they want to get better and win now, they gotta take a shot. If Ant leaves, they are pretty fucked regardless. It all rests on him.

The point is: the "best in the league shot blocker and defender" has a massive target on his back against pick and roll heavy teams with elite perimeter players. You know, like in the playoffs.
If an offensively limited 3x DPOY not only can't slow down great players, but actually makes them more prolific and efficient, what exactly is he giving you?

Utahs wing defense last year was absolutely sieve worthy. He doesn’t have that issue with ant/mcdaniels on the wing. Rudy would have to cover his guy AND the other guys mess. I guess Steph did put Rudy in the wash machine in like 2018 with some sick spin move so you’re right. Huge liability.

Can I ask you something since you’re on this offensive liability kick. Rudy’s about to see the easiest baskets in his career. His TS% is absolutely ridiculous. He sets the best screens in the league. Is this a bad thing? I don’t think you’ve looked at the other side of this objectively once. Just sat there and said clippers warriors small ball gonna tear him a new one. It’s over

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Utahs wing defense last year was absolutely sieve worthy. He doesn’t have that issue with ant/mcdaniels on the wing. Rudy would have to cover his guy AND the other guys mess. I guess Steph did put Rudy in the wash machine in like 2018 with some sick spin move so you’re right. Huge liability.

And now you are going to have a very foul prone KAT getting isolated on a smaller/quicker guy on the perimeter. You also lost Beverly who was one of the better on ball defensive point guards in the league. And Russell isn't a very good defender, either. If you think Bryn Forbes or Austin Rivers is going to check anybody, good luck. Why do you think that's going to work out better than what Utah trotted out there?

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Can I ask you something since you’re on this offensive liability kick. Rudy’s about to see the easiest baskets in his career. His TS% is absolutely ridiculous. He sets the best screens in the league. Is this a bad thing? I don’t think you’ve looked at the other side of this objectively once. Just sat there and said clippers warriors small ball gonna tear him a new one. It’s over

When you shoot 99% of your shots from within 10 feet, 74% of your shots within 3 feet, and half of your shots are dunks, your TS% better damn well be ridiculous. Again, you are putting two big guys out there in a pace in space era, and you don't have to guard Gobert with another big because he's incapable of hurting you outside of 5 feet. Great, he's a lob threat and he sets a good screen. I guess KAT is going to get some open looks standing around at the three point line, but that lane is going to be clogged up for Edwards because again... you don't have to guard Rudy Gobert outside of about 8 feet.

I don't know why I keep getting sucked into this discussion. I just need to STFU and let it go.

Is this how the rest of the off-season will go on this thread, MN telling us that paying Gobert $123M over the next 3 years (or $169M over 4 years if he takes his 2026 player option) isn’t costly enough, but it’s still a bargain for the Twolves while also giving up 4 first rounders, a pick swap, and the kid who was #22 pick last year? Utah is going to be getting top 10 picks in ‘27 and ‘29, and maybe pick swap in ‘26. Maybe MN will get lucky and their ‘29 pick will land in top4 and be protected. That’s a shit load to give up for the right to pay $40M+/yr for a rebounding rim defender. 

Maybe another team will make a stupider trade and we can move on to a different poster bizarrely defending the move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When you shoot 99% of your shots from within 10 feet, 74% of your shots within 3 feet, and half of your shots are dunks, your TS% better damn well be ridiculous. Again, you are putting two big guys out there in a pace in space era, and you don't have to guard Gobert with another big because he's incapable of hurting you outside of 5 feet. Great, he's a lob threat and he sets a good screen. I guess KAT is going to get some open looks standing around at the three point line, but that lane is going to be clogged up for Edwards because again... you don't have to guard Rudy Gobert outside of about 8 feet.
I don't know why I keep getting sucked into this discussion. I just need to STFU and let it go.

Maybe it’s pace and space because outside of about 3-4 teams, no team has a seven footer with an ounce of basketball talent, none the less 2?

I mean cool. 6’ 7 draymond green guarding 7’2 Rudy or 6’11 KAT. You might hit some open 3s with your small ball…but you’re not getting anything at the rim.

37 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Maybe it’s pace and space because outside of about 3-4 teams, no team has a seven footer with an ounce of basketball talent, none the less 2?

I mean cool. 6’ 7 draymond green guarding 7’2 Rudy or 6’11 KAT. You might hit some open 3s with your small ball…but you’re not getting anything at the rim.

Am I getting trolled? I'm getting trolled, right? I should know better and stop, right? Why do I keep falling for the banana in the tailpipe?

But perhaps you're correct and NBA basketball has not evolved because of the influence of European basketball, the proliferation of the three point shot and the change in illegal defense and hand checking rules that make it much easier to defend the post and much more difficult to defend the perimeter.... it's the lack of talented 7 footers. That's the ticket. And it surely has nothing to do with simple math: 3>2. 

I have a question, though. It's probably more philosophical in nature, than most of the discussion here. Is it possible that if you watch a horrid, losing basketball team for decades that their shitty play on the court can infect your ability to discern good basketball from bad? Can your basketball IQ be adversely impacted by being overly exposed to shitty hoops over long periods of time? Like, if you only saw ugly women your whole life, would you be able to tell what an attractive one looked like? Because I'm starting to think that's the case. Too bad we don't have any Kings fans around here so we can get a better sample size to test this theory.

Also.... here is your defensive ace, Rudy Gobert shutting down the lane against the Clippers in Game 6 of the 2021 playoffs. Note, the tallest man on the floor for the Clippers is Nic Batum, who is all of 6'8".

• Haha 1

Suns owner suspended for 1-year and has a $10M fine.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34584665/phoenix-suns-owner-robert-sarver-suspended-year-fined-10-million-investigation-finds-conduct-clearly-violated-workplace-standards

part of Sarver's statement on the investigation results and penalty

...I am sorry for causing this pain, and these errors in judgment are not consistent with my personal philosophy or my values.

These are such bs statements. "My actions are not representative of my values." ?? They're 100% representative of your values. Maybe not the values you pretend to have but they're exactly who you are. If someone does one thing out of character, you might be able to chalk it up to a misunderstanding or some extremely poor choice of words or action. But a lifetime of mistakes. come on, man.

While I'm sure this report doesn't contain every allegation or story, I give props to the NBA in placing a report for anyone to read: https://www.wlrk.com/phoenix-suns-report/

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Suns owner suspended for 1-year and has a $10M fine.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34584665/phoenix-suns-owner-robert-sarver-suspended-year-fined-10-million-investigation-finds-conduct-clearly-violated-workplace-standards

part of Sarver's statement on the investigation results and penalty

These are such bs statements. "My actions are not representative of my values." ?? They're 100% representative of your values. Maybe not the values you pretend to have but they're exactly who you are. If someone does one thing out of character, you might be able to chalk it up to a misunderstanding or some extremely poor choice of words or action. But a lifetime of mistakes. come on, man.

While I'm sure this report doesn't contain every allegation or story, I give props to the NBA in placing a report for anyone to read: https://www.wlrk.com/phoenix-suns-report/

During his suspension, Sarver may not:

• "Be present at any NBA or WNBA team facility, including any office, arena, or practice facility."

• "Attend or participate in any NBA or WNBA event or activity, including games, practices, or business partner activity."

• "Represent the Suns or Mercury in any public or private capacity."

• "Have any involvement with the business or basketball operations of the Suns or Mercury."

• "Have any involvement in the business, governance, or activities of either the NBA or WNBA, including attending or participating in meetings of either league's Board (and their associated Board committees)."

WTF am I missing here?  They should force him to attend every single WNBA game.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

During his suspension, Sarver may not:

• "Be present at any NBA or WNBA team facility, including any office, arena, or practice facility."

• "Attend or participate in any NBA or WNBA event or activity, including games, practices, or business partner activity."

• "Represent the Suns or Mercury in any public or private capacity."

• "Have any involvement with the business or basketball operations of the Suns or Mercury."

• "Have any involvement in the business, governance, or activities of either the NBA or WNBA, including attending or participating in meetings of either league's Board (and their associated Board committees)."

WTF am I missing here?  They should force him to attend every single WNBA game.  

I Guess If You Say So GIF

On 9/9/2022 at 4:29 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

1615516e4842fd47a1ddc7969f843f98.jpg
What in the hell is this

this is going to bring zero added interest.  they should open it up to other leagues-  ncaa teams, g league, mexican/canadian teams, maybe even wnba teams.  none of these teams would stand a chance to win it all but in a single elim format it'd make for better entertainment than trying to manufacture some kind of importance out of a bunch of november games.

• Hook 'Em 1

On one hand, the NBA gave Sarver the maximum penalty that their bylaws allow. On the other, they should have forced him to sell the team like they did Donald Sterling. It's not like they don't have precedent for an owner dropping N-bombs and being a chauvinist, misogynist pig. I'm a little surprised that the current players haven't been more vocal about all of this. If they put up a big enough stink about not wanting to play for him, it might force the league's hand. At the very least, I have got to believe that the players association is going to use this as leverage in the next CBA negotiation.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On one hand, the NBA gave Sarver the maximum penalty that their bylaws allow. On the other, they should have forced him to sell the team like they did Donald Sterling. It's not like they don't have precedent for an owner dropping N-bombs and being a chauvinist, misogynist pig. I'm a little surprised that the current players haven't been more vocal about all of this. If they put up a big enough stink about not wanting to play for him, it might force the league's hand. At the very least, I have got to believe that the players association is going to use this as leverage in the next CBA negotiation.

They would only push for that if they had other owners backing.   Clearly they do not.   As crazy as that may sound

Chris Paul was on the Clippers during the Donald Sterling scandal. He and Doc Rivers talked about sitting out if he was still the owner. It will be interesting to see how CP3 responds to this judgement, given that he's on the Suns and this case seems worse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2140878-chris-paul-considering-sitting-out-if-donald-sterling-remains-as-clippers-owner.amp.html

Edited by Dutchrudder

2 hours ago, d2o said:

They would only push for that if they had other owners backing.   Clearly they do not.   As crazy as that may sound

Agreed. They are policing themselves, essentially. The Commissioner is toothless without their backing. Also, Sarver was one of the hardline owners in the CBA when they had the lockout in 2011. While he initially angered the players union and some of the bigger market owners by throwing a fit, he also saved the other owners untold millions over the last decade. He's a complete asshole, but he probably has a shitload of goodwill built up from his peers. 

• Hook 'Em 1