Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I think the SEC is done expanding. The ACC is trying to survive a shitty TV contract. 

I agree they are done IF cfb mostly stays at the new status quo with power 4 conferences all with 12-16 teams.  If the Big Ten expands to 20-24 or more then the SEC would expand too.  Even with the status quo, we’d also assume there isn’t some plan to boycott the SEC in scheduling/bowls or limit their access to the playoffs.  If the plan is to limit the playoff to only 4 teams with only a single bid for the SEC, then you’ll either see aggressive expansion and/or a total breakaway.  The SEC was banking on getting in 3-4 teams into the new playoffs each year, if the ACC/B1G block their plans then I’d expect we see some more fireworks.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My advice to every Irate 8 poster in this thread. Imagine you’re Michigan or USC, put yourself honestly in their positions. Would you want to play these guys? 

No, hell no. It’s not personal, it’s business. 

No, but as an Irate 8 member I want to play SMU and Houston (and will probably get my wish) so it isn't necessarily that I wouldn't want to play "lesser" teams. I want teams I care about beating their alums.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

How long will it take for All 3 conferences and ND to agree on this? 

ND will be a bit torn on this. We want expansion of the playoff and partnered with Sankey on this issue. We have been really silent lately since the whole playoff debacle. Aggie screwed everyone over by trying to stop the move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

Bullshit. I have an accounting degree from Bama (and an MBA) The Journal of Accountancy consistently ranks (or did..haven't checked in awhile)
 our program in the top ten. A guy I shared classes went on to be the top man at Price Waterhouse. Several friends went to Harvard and Yale from Bama for law or graduate business. Bama also heavily recruited Jews from the Northeast back when the Ivy League schools discriminated against them. Tons of them came to school there.

Bless you heart

13 hours ago, Capt. Squints said:

Bullshit. I have an accounting degree from Bama (and an MBA) The Journal of Accountancy consistently ranks (or did..haven't checked in awhile)
 our program in the top ten. A guy I shared classes went on to be the top man at Price Waterhouse. Several friends went to Harvard and Yale from Bama for law or graduate business. Bama also heavily recruited Jews from the Northeast back when the Ivy League schools discriminated against them. Tons of them came to school there.

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

Houston makes more sense as an addition than Baylor and TCU.  

Meh I think TCU is better for them.  While neither is going to give the PAC a sizable hold in either market, you can argue that tech, Okie state, and TCU can stake a notable claim in DFW.  Houston would be harder for the conference to gain any real traction there.

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

Houston makes more sense as an addition than Baylor and TCU.  

10 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Meh I think TCU is better for them.  While neither is going to give the PAC a sizable hold in either market, you can argue that tech, Okie state, and TCU can stake a notable claim in DFW.  Houston would be harder for the conference to gain any real traction there.

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Tech has a better claim to DFW than Baylor or TCU. Now adding TCU could help solidify that, but either way it'll be an "SEC town" with OU, UT, and A&M in the SEC.

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My advice to every Irate 8 poster in this thread. Imagine you’re Michigan or USC, put yourself honestly in their positions. Would you want to play these guys? 

No, hell no. It’s not personal, it’s business. 

Prestige Worldwide!

• Hook 'Em 1

Whatever “alliance” they’re talking about is fucking stupid. If they (“they”) really wanted to do something interesting the sec would be included in conversations to completely usurp the ncaa and eviscerate the remains of the big 12. 
All these commissioners really want to do lock themselves in a room and talk about Texas’s massive endowment and masturbate on each other’s faces. 

Edited by pubes
  • Hook 'Em 1

If the "alliance" really sees the SEC as so big of threat that they have to have closed door meetings to figure out a counter play then there really are only two things they should do. First, they need to all agree as a collective that they will not schedule any SEC teams out of conference giving the playoff committee no way of comparing the alliance teams to the SEC. Even if most people believed the second place SEC team to be better, it would force the playoff committee to be more even handed when they gave out playoff spots.

Second, if I'm the ACC or the PAC 12 especially, I would look to destroy the Big 12 immediately. Even though they look mostly dead, don't give them time to figure things out. The Pac should at minimum grab Okie lite and Tech which has a strong DFW following and the ACC should grab WVU. Also, I believe when the dust settles, Kansas will be in the BIG 10. That would effectively drain all the value left from the Big 12 and would give the Pac 12 access to the central time zone. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

If the "alliance" really sees the SEC as so big of threat that they have to have closed door meetings to figure out a counter play then there really are only two things they should do. First, they need to all agree as a collective that they will not schedule any SEC teams out of conference giving the playoff committee no way of comparing the alliance teams to the SEC. Even if most people believed the second place SEC team to be better, it would force the playoff committee to be more even handed when they gave out playoff spots.

Looks like we'll be scheduling AAC, Sun Belt, C-USA, and MWC moving forward. 

Oh, well. Our 9-game "SEC gauntlet" should be strong enough. Bottom line is TV wants the teams with the most viewers. That's why the SEC has been given preferential treatment from the start.

Edited by DFW Horn

Oh, well. Our 9-game "SEC gauntlet" should be strong enough. Bottom line is TV wants the teams with the most viewers. That's why the SEC has been given preferential treatment from the start.

Once the dust settles, all Texas teams will gladly home and home with us to fill their stadiums.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, 'stache said:

Every other kid you meet at OU or OSU is from Texas. I think we offer in-state tuition costs to anyone from Texas who spelled their name correctly on the SAT.

My oldest kid went to OU for this reason.  Also his maternal grandfather was a legacy and he had a Cherokee card, all of which got him basically in-state tuition. 

2 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

10* Saban wants 10 and I think has seen the writing on the walls. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:
3 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

Once the dust settles, all Texas teams will gladly home and home with us to fill their stadiums.

Yes, that's why I referenced AAC and MWC. 😄 

6 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

The alliance will try to contain or minimalize the SEC.  They are going to want to keep the 4 team playoff.  This will force the remaining conferences to go to 16 teams if they want to play along.  I think the grand design will be to force each of the 4 conferences to send their champion to the playoff.  Likely there will be some sort of playoff within the conferences.  Think of a 4 team playoff within each conference which will essentially be a 16 team playoff.  This format will keep the SEC from packing the playoff.

Which will not be acceptable to the SEC, the ACC would be basically daring them to invite Clemson and Florida State at a minimum.  Even if the rest of the “academic” schools hold strong, options like Kansas and West Virginia are there for the taking and then you could invite Colorado and Nebraska who seem to be regretting their moves as well.  The SEC moves big (20-24) and split off then the B1G will be forced to expand by adding most of the PAC schools to keep up and then you’ll see an NFC/AFC super bowl like national championship setup between the B1G and the SEC.  Giving the SEC a single bid to the playoff the same as the PAC is dumb.  Years back a 6-6 UCLA team was playing in their CCG, if they had won UCLA would have been given a playoff spot in this system while a 1 loss SEC team is left out?  I get the appeal for the PAC/ACC but it seems dumb for the B1G to agree to that setup.

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve read a couple theories on the interwebs that postulate that the Big Ten, ACC, and PAC 12 have blackballed the Irate 8 to slow down Texas and OU/ hurt the SEC. 

I could see it. 

That's just stupid. Short term, it actually benefits the 8, because it forces Texas and OU to pay to leave, which they will do. The SEC train ain't stoppin', so they'd be better off thinking about a long term play rather than this piddly delaying tactic bullshit.

16 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That's just stupid. Short term, it actually benefits the 8, because it forces Texas and OU to pay to leave, which they will do. The SEC train ain't stoppin', so they'd be better off thinking about a long term play rather than this piddly delaying tactic bullshit.

Oh I agree, but the PAC 12 is so pissed off they’re willing to kill playoff expansion/a guaranteed spot. This is a conference currently facing CFP irrelevancy. 

FOX declined to bid on the Big 12 TV rights during the exclusive negotiating window. So did ESPN. I mention it here because FOX isn’t going to ride in and save the day for the Irate 8 by giving the PAC 12/Big Ten additional money for adding schools. 

I the AAC merger masterminded by ESPN will probably be the best deal offered to the Irate 8. 

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The ones that made the most sense to me were:

1) slowing down the playoff expansion, mostly to slow down ESPN.  The desire here being to take it out to bid in 2025 to multiple networks, like the NFL, to limit ESPNs power.

2) discussions on other rules they want in the playoffs, like Rose status or max teams per conference, which is also why they don't need the Big 12 in the room, as the only power 5 who crafted it were Bowlsby/Sanky

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

1) slowing down the playoff expansion, mostly to slow down ESPN.  The desire here being to take it out to bid in 2025 to multiple networks, like the NFL, to limit ESPNs power.

2) discussions on other rules they want in the playoffs, like Rose status or max teams per conference, which is also why they don't need the Big 12 in the room, as the only power 5 who crafted it were Bowlsby/Sanky

It’s just a hunch, but I don’t think FOX is interested in spending more on college football. 

CBS or NBC could be interested in bidding for the CFB, but ESPN is your wealthiest and most reliable bidder. ESPN will likely be bidding against themself. Don’t overthink this college presidents. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s just a hunch, but I don’t think FOX is interested in spending more on college football. 

CBS or NBC could be interested in bidding for the CFB, but ESPN is your wealthiest and most reliable bidder. ESPN will likely be bidding against themself. Don’t overthink this college presidents. 

The most meaningful quote I've heard so far from a "source" is a media exec informing one of the conferences that there is little interest bidding on the regular season if they don't get any of the post season games.

We're getting to the point where the post season will be more than the regular season of all the conferences, combined.   If I were them I wouldn't want to bid early either.

15 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Still doesn't make much sense.  Sounds like a temper tantrum.

24 minutes ago, bullet said:

Still doesn't make much sense.  Sounds like a temper tantrum.

they're scared shitless and none of the current commissioners of the other 3 have been around for more than a year.  last year the big 10 made the decision to cancel the season and expected everyone else to follow them and they were basically made a fool of.  Also, nobody ever thought that texas would go to the SEC. Deloss and Powers would be rolling over in their graves if they weren't still alive. 

16 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

they're scared shitless and none of the current commissioners of the other 3 have been around for more than a year.  last year the big 10 made the decision to cancel the season and expected everyone else to follow them and they were basically made a fool of.  Also, nobody ever thought that texas would go to the SEC. Deloss and Powers would be rolling over in their graves if they were both still alive. 

i realize powers is dead. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/the-decline-and-fall-of-the-southwest-conference/

That Texas Monthly article had a link to a better article, one they wrote in 1974 about the decline and fall of the SWC.
Yes, 1974, not 1994.
Fascinating article. One part...everything is the same now, and one part...wtf that sounds weird. A "commerce" degree program from Rice that only athletes could take? Ha ha ha.

Also interesting to read how the NFL impacted big city schools. I laughed when I read the Bills may move to Austin...no way UT let's that happen.

But reading this gives aggys reaction to us in the SEC a bit more context. I had no idea Tech joining the SWC was thought to have neutered TCU recruiting back in the day.

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Until they figure out how to compete with ESPN directly, ESPN will continue to control the narrative and in the long game, get what they want. Expanded payoffs doesn't have to happen today... But tomorrow???

Not scheduling SEC teams really doesn't affect the SEC teams much. With the way ESPN controls the narrative, the SEC has been scheduling complete puffs for years, and  it gets treated as if they just beat the 85 bears.  

The "alliance" might block multiple teams from a conference, but when ESPN salting the casual viewer perception and rating drop, because the "better" (SEC) teams aren't in. 

Besides, I doubt the "alliance" sticks together more than 3 years.  Each conference has their own agenda to benefit their own conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

Fascinating article. One part...everything is the same now, and one part...wtf that sounds weird. A "commerce" degree program from Rice that only athletes could take? Ha ha ha.

Also interesting to read how the NFL impacted big city schools. I laughed when I read the Bills may move to Austin...no way UT let's that happen.

But reading this gives aggys reaction to us in the SEC a bit more context. I had no idea Tech joining the SWC was thought to have neutered TCU recruiting back in the day.

*lets

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/08/23/pac-12-football-strategy-timing-of-expansion-decision-future-of-the-conference-schedule-and-the-goal-of-the-three-league-alliance/

Wilner sources saying that the L8 is probably sticking together as no team is worth it the Pac12 without OU & UT. That's good news for BU, TCU, and KSU but not for anyone else. 

Also not that it matters but I didn't realize that Baylor is almost twice the size of TCU and SMU is bigger than TCU. 

Edited by SimonBolivar