Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don't engage with that mentally degenerative piece of shit. The number of things he's been wrong about regarding everything from UT to general shit like "what clouds are" is astounding. He's Milton from Office Space with a microfiche instead of a stapler.  

Negged for not taking my own fucking advice.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I'm gonna regret this, but how does the UT faculty feel about being associated with Tech and osu? Florida and Vandy would be two of the  top 3 academic schools in the Big 12.

Negged because you didn't take my fucking advice. 

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

First of all, my comments on Texas moving to the SEC were heavily focused on the reaction of the faculty. Telling the UT faculty that the Land Grant farm schools are their peers and that UT faculty will collaborate with those other schools on academic issues is laughable. There is a reason the Land Grant farm schools of the SEC have failed to deliver the intellectual capital necessary for the SEC states to create any semblance of economic growth in that region. There is also a reason the area surrounding Austin has long had the intellectual capital necessary to drive the Texas economy through the technological revolution of the past 40 years.

As for the media rights of the five schools I mentioned, none of them are significantly higher than any other the others. None of them are national brands of any value. I mentioned nothing about the value of UT's media rights relative to any of those five schools. I'm not following your comment of Texas' media rights doubling the value of those other schools. Had I said anything about UT's rights values, I probably would have said they are about four times that of the "abandoned five."

And no, I am not ready to embrace the SEC. I am not a fan of it, but I wasn't asked to make the call. Hartzell, Eltife and CDC are running the show, and I defer to their judgement. That doesn't mean I am in any way looking forward to having a bunch of inbred smoothbores from that hotbed of generational poverty known as the SEC running around Austin during home football games. Nor will I be heading to the shitholes of that part of the world to watch UT play.

It's a business decision. That's all it is. I don't see them as friends, peers or equals. And Hell will freeze before I "brand myself with the SEC logo."

Thanks for playing. Try to pay more attention next time.

Have a nice day.

I agree with you on not branding with the SEC logo.  As for the rest, its good that most of Texas doesn't have that Austin arrogance.  That's not a UT thing, its an Austin thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think there's landing spots for any of the Left Behind. Tech and OSU to the PAC would be the only possible exception, but I just don't see how that would excite the Left Coasters. WVU to ACC gets a lot of chatter, but why? How is that a value add?

So, my question is, do we stay until the GOR is up? Or do we bite the bullet and pay?

6 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't think there's landing spots for any of the Left Behind. Tech and OSU to the PAC would be the only possible exception, but I just don't see how that would excite the Left Coasters. WVU to ACC gets a lot of chatter, but why? How is that a value add?

So, my question is, do we stay until the GOR is up? Or do we bite the bullet and pay?

Zero chance we're staying until the GOR is up.  

We'll negotiate and pay a greatly reduced exit amount, same as every other school that has exited a conference over the past 11 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Zero chance we're staying until the GOR is up.  

We'll negotiate and pay a greatly reduced exit amount, same as every other school that has exited a conference over the past 11 years.

As long as ESPN is cooperative and doesn't get too stingy with the Remaining 8 before the end of the contract.

If they are, then it all gets nasty because that is big bucks.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'm gonna regret this, but how does the UT faculty feel about being associated with Tech and osu? Florida and Vandy would be two of the  top 3 academic schools in the Big 12.

Ask some of the UT faculty what they think of Tech or Okie Lite. Find out for yourself. I'm sure many of them will opine that the factors that dictated conference affiliation thirty years ago are not the same as the factors today. 

Yes, Vandy and UF have reputable academic standing. You seem to "somehow" forget Ol' Miss, Miss St, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Texas A&M, (have I made my point, or should I go on?).

The fact is, and long has been, that states in the S!E!C! footprint have long underfunded both primary education and secondary education to the people their post-secondary institutions suck. With VERY few exceptions. Exactly ONE of those Land Grant schools (UF) has any level of academic credibility.

Anyone who things Texas is switching athletic conferences to bond with academic peers peers, "bond with family," make friends, "be with our equals," to be "liked," or any other absurd reason is sadly misguided. Likewise, anyone expecting UT to not be continuously singled out for not acting more like the inbred smoothbores who comprise the S!E!C! is also sadly misguided.

We aren't Land Grant, farm school rednecks. That would be Texas A&M. We (thank God) aren't Texas A&M. Not even close.

We're Texas.

The conference switch was purely a business decision, a cultural or academic decision.

As for the "leftover five" of the Big 12, fuck them. I understand it was easier when all they had to do was ride the economic coattails of Texas and OU, but those days are over.

• Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We'll pay before we stay, that's certain. 

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Ask some of the UT faculty what they think of Tech or Okie Lite. Find out for yourself. I'm sure many of them will opine that the factors that dictated conference affiliation thirty years ago are not the same as the factors today. 

Yes, Vandy and UF have reputable academic standing. You seem to "somehow" forget Ol' Miss, Miss St, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Texas A&M, (have I made my point, or should I go on?).

The fact is, and long has been, that states in the S!E!C! footprint have long underfunded both primary education and secondary education to the people their post-secondary institutions suck. With VERY few exceptions. Exactly ONE of those Land Grant schools (UF) has any level of academic credibility.

Anyone who things Texas is switching athletic conferences to bond with academic peers peers, "bond with family," make friends, "be with our equals," to be "liked," or any other absurd reason is sadly misguided. Likewise, anyone expecting UT to not be continuously singled out for not acting more like the inbred smoothbores who comprise the S!E!C! is also sadly misguided.

We aren't Land Grant, farm school rednecks. That would be Texas A&M. We (thank God) aren't Texas A&M. Not even close.

We're Texas.

The conference switch was purely a business decision, a cultural or academic decision.

As for the "leftover five" of the Big 12, fuck them. I understand it was easier when all they had to do was ride the economic coattails of Texas and OU, but those days are over.

ATM would instantly be the second best academic school in this conference.  And thankfully, this is an athletic decision, not an academic one.  ATM, Georgia, Florida, Vandy.  

I don't think any less of Stanford because it's in the same conference as a school that has open enrollment.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, closetohumping said:

I’m pretty disappointed in our coaches and admin if this is true.  Siap

image.thumb.png.e31a54ebba8b43a1402a45e8f49f7898.png

Who tells their current employer that they are leaving before they finalize the new deal? You aren’t leaving until you’re actually leaving, and until then, you do your job like you’re in for the long haul. 

• Hook 'Em 6

On 8/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, closetohumping said:

I’m pretty disappointed in our coaches and admin if this is true.  Siap

image.thumb.png.e31a54ebba8b43a1402a45e8f49f7898.png

Since Brett Murphy says that was Bowlsby on Texas, is Bowlsby saying that OU kept him completely informed on what they were about to do?

17 hours ago, 'stache said:

Ok I won't, but goddamn. As a highly successful grad of a "land grant farm school" as he disparagingly calls it, the nonsense he spews is just absurd. There are a million reasons that aggy sucks, being a land grant institution with a large agriculture program isn't one of them.

Land Grant farm schools have their place. They are trade schools. But there is a difference between a trade school education and an academic education.

Trade schools do not advance knowledge. They perpetuate current understandings. Academic institutions advance knowledge. Academic institutions produce graduates who lead nations through technological revolutions. Trade schools produce graduates who struggle to build things out of wood. Trade schools fabricate lies about their "military history" and insist they have solved the mystery of alchemy. Academic institutions seek to change the world for the better.

I absolutely support the trade school experience. Trade schools have done wonders for to help those lacking academic capabilities join the middle class. 

But let’s not kid ourselves, a trade school education isn’t the same as an academic education. 

Think about it for a moment. Supporters of A&M, a trade school, bleat about "we has bigger enrollsment" and "we makes e-nuf to live in Katy tree years out of college!" What do either of those "metrics" have to to with education? Nothing. They are demonstrative of a trade school mentality, which is all most of the Land Grant farm school "former students" understand.

The SEC is an accumulation of Land Grant trade schools for wannabe (swidt?) farmers and chicken ranchers. UT Austin is an academic institution. The graduates of the institutions have little in common.

It is what it is. I apologize for any trade school redneck I have offended. But no one goes to farm school for an actual education and the S!E!C! as it is currently constituted is nothing more than a bunch of Land Grant farm schools (plus Vandy and UF) offering trade school "uplernin." (Excuse me as I laugh at the insistence that Arizona State offers the same level of education as Stanford or Cal, that Rutgers offers the same level of education as Univ of Chicago or Johns Hopkins-yes, both Big 10 member institutions- and Texas A&M offers the same level of education as UT Austin, all because "is has to be that way because they are in the same athletic conference.)

And I am absolutely not disparaging Land Grant schools. MIT was a Land Grant school. Founded after Texas A&M was founded. Just like Texas A&M, MIT was once a Land Grant branch college attached to a prestigious academic university. But MIT supporters had the foresight and intellect to end their branch college status and to become a highly respected institution. How the people of Texas ended up with only Texas A&M amazes (and saddens) me. 

Even Land Grant farm schools have their place, as do the other trade schools. I'm just differentiating between Land Grand farm schools and academic universities.

Of course the S!E!C! schools want UT Austin in their conference. Even A&M voted for UT Austin in the S!E!C! The S!E!C! schools need us to class up the joint. Just as people on this board insist Vandy and UF give every S!E!C! farm school “academic prestige,” smoothbore rednecks (and their ilk) can now point to UT Austin and say “we ernt stupid!” just as proudly as they say “I love my couzin.”

KU_I_love_my_cousing_t600.jpg

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Rumor?  Wishful thinking?  With Texas off the table, I cant see the BIG interested in anything that was left.  Kansas (basketball)?  Maybe?  TCU?  Extremely doubtful.  I cant see them expanding for the sake of expanding.  

20 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

UC-Berkeley

U of Florida

Purdue

MIT

Cornell

U of Wisconsin

All land grant colleges.  All damn good academic institutions.

Exactly how many of these are Land Grant farm schools? One - Cornell. And as a "farm school," Cornell is head and shoulders above any S!E!C! Land Grant farm school.

To insinuate the education offered at Mississippi State, or even Texas A&M, is indistinguishable from that offered at MIT or Cal is "a bold strategy," to say the least.

To ignore the Land Grant farm schools of the S!E!C! are not hindered by the abysmal state of primary and secondary education in S!E!C! footprint states is naive.

MIT was a Land Grant school established after Texas A&M. MIT was absorbed as a branch college of Harvard before MIT supporters took action to regain autonomy. Sadly, Texas has not had the caliber of Land Grant college administrators as Massachusetts or California (a fact I have long lamented). The Massachusetts and California Land Grant college experiments have been incredible successes. Unfortunately, as we look to the states that have long filed to fund primary and secondary education Most, if not all of the S!E!C! footprint states, including Texas, the Land Grant experiment has offered far less impressive results.

Starting with the appointment of Jefferson Davis as the first president of the state's Land Grant college, Texas' Land Grant college experience has been spoiled by the insistence that redneck cultural considerations must take precedence over academic considerations. That cancer continues to the present.

The decision to affiliate The University's athletics programs with the S!E!C! schools was purely a business decision. Any expectations that Texas will become an "S!E!C! school" are comical.

To assert MIT, Cal, Wisky, etc., exist as trade schools for inbred smoothbores is absurd. To deny Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Auburn, etc, exist as little other than trade schools for inbred smoothbores is equally absurd.

Texas will be a S!E!C! member institution. It will never be "an S!E!C! school."

S!E!C! S!E!C! lol.

aggy_ralph.jpg

On 8/18/2021 at 7:17 AM, Randolph Duke said:

Land Grant farm schools have their place. They are trade schools. But there is a difference between a trade school education and an academic education.

Trade schools do not advance knowledge. They perpetuate current understandings. Academic institutions advance knowledge. Academic institutions produce graduates who lead nations through technological revolutions. Trade schools produce graduates who struggle to build things out of wood. Trade schools fabricate lies about their "military history" and insist they have solved the mystery of alchemy. Academic institutions seek to change the world for the better.

I absolutely support the trade school experience. Trade schools have done wonders for to help those lacking academic capabilities join the middle class. 

But let’s not kid ourselves, a trade school education isn’t the same as an academic education. 

Think about it for a moment. Supporters of A&M, a trade school, bleat about "we has bigger enrollsment" and "we makes e-nuf to live in Katy tree years out of college!" What do either of those "metrics" have to to with education? Nothing. They are demonstrative of a trade school mentality, which is all most of the Land Grant farm school "former students" understand.

The SEC is an accumulation of Land Grant trade schools for wannabe (swidt?) farmers and chicken ranchers. UT Austin is an academic institution. The graduates of the institutions have little in common.

It is what it is. I apologize for any trade school redneck I have offended. But no one goes to farm school for an actual education and the S!E!C! as it is currently constituted is nothing more than a bunch of Land Grant farm schools (plus Vandy and UF) offering trade school "uplernin." (Excuse me as I laugh at the insistence that Arizona State offers the same level of education as Stanford or Cal, that Rutgers offers the same level of education as Univ of Chicago or Johns Hopkins-yes, both Big 10 member institutions- and Texas A&M offers the same level of education as UT Austin, all because "is has to be that way because they are in the same athletic conference.)

And I am absolutely not disparaging Land Grant schools. MIT was a Land Grant school. Founded after Texas A&M was founded. Just like Texas A&M, MIT was once a Land Grant branch college attached to a prestigious academic university. But MIT supporters had the foresight and intellect to end their branch college status and to become a highly respected institution. How the people of Texas ended up with only Texas A&M amazes (and saddens) me. 

Even Land Grant farm schools have their place, as do the other trade schools. I'm just differentiating between Land Grand farm schools and academic universities.

Of course the S!E!C! schools want UT Austin in their conference. Even A&M voted for UT Austin in the S!E!C! The S!E!C! schools need us to class up the joint. Just as people on this board insist Vandy and UF give every S!E!C! farm school “academic prestige,” smoothbore rednecks (and their ilk) can now point to UT Austin and say “we ernt stupid!” just as proudly as they say “I love my couzin.”

KU_I_love_my_cousing_t600.jpg

46 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Exactly how many of these are Land Grant farm schools? One - Cornell. And as a "farm school," Cornell is head and shoulders above any S!E!C! Land Grant farm school.

To insinuate the education offered at Mississippi State, or even Texas A&M, is indistinguishable from that offered at MIT or Cal is "a bold strategy," to say the least.

To ignore the Land Grant farm schools of the S!E!C! are not hindered by the abysmal state of primary and secondary education in S!E!C! footprint states is naive.

MIT was a Land Grant school established after Texas A&M. MIT was absorbed as a branch college of Harvard before MIT supporters took action to regain autonomy. Sadly, Texas has not had the caliber of Land Grant college administrators as Massachusetts or California (a fact I have long lamented). The Massachusetts and California Land Grant college experiments have been incredible successes. Unfortunately, as we look to the states that have long filed to fund primary and secondary education Most, if not all of the S!E!C! footprint states, including Texas, the Land Grant experiment has offered far less impressive results.

Starting with the appointment of Jefferson Davis as the first president of the state's Land Grant college, Texas' Land Grant college experience has been spoiled by the insistence that redneck cultural considerations must take precedence over academic considerations. That cancer continues to the present.

The decision to affiliate The University's athletics programs with the S!E!C! schools was purely a business decision. Any expectations that Texas will become an "S!E!C! school" are comical.

To assert MIT, Cal, Wisky, etc., exist as trade schools for inbred smoothbores is absurd. To deny Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Kentucky, Auburn, etc, exist as little other than trade schools for inbred smoothbores is equally absurd.

Texas will be a S!E!C! member institution. It will never be "an S!E!C! school."

S!E!C! S!E!C! lol.

aggy_ralph.jpg

Randolph Duke has a lot more time than I do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tcu is trying to convince itself that having Texas and aggy doesn’t carry the state for the sec, and a tiny school with a tiny following will make all the difference. 

Hilarious wishcasting : 

https://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/editorials/article252952928.html

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Written by a bent piggy-seminary-Misery now-SFA "history prof" who looks too young (despite the male pattern baldness) to teach history. It's merely hurling pebbles from the peanut gallery.

Fuck Texas Monthly! It's not even worth being used as a fishwrap.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

When aggy moves, they're doing it "to better their program". When UT does it, we're money-grubbing, self-serving, capitalist pigs. Fuck 'em all

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Written by a bent piggy-seminary-Misery now-SFA "history prof" who looks too young (despite the male pattern baldness) to teach history. It's merely hurling pebbles from the peanut gallery.

It's a piece of shit.

YARN | It's a piece of shit. | Animal House (1978) | Video clips by quotes  | 25a8fd9b | 紗

4 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Good god, what a load of garbage.

In 2011, A&M broke almost a century of Texas football history when the school announced it was joining the SEC. UT’s continued push for greater shares of Big 12 revenue led to the divorce. The creation of the Longhorn Network enraged A&M’s board of regents. UT believed its brand and devoted fans could sustain an independent cable TV network. Like Icarus, the Longhorns wanted to escape their confines. But moderation gave way to greed and the wax holding Texas college football together began to drip, drip, drip.

So, I guess facts don't matter and this guy gets column inches to just make up shit?  When did UT EVER ask for a bigger share of revenue?

And let's also just ignore the fact the we invited aggy to join us before it turned into LHN.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1