Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

22 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I'd like to see the metrics used by the ACC when choosing Pitt over WVU, but it looks to me like they're fucked coming and going. A Pac scheduling alliance doesn't really benefit them much. Certainly not in recruiting.

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

I'd like to see the metrics used by the ACC when choosing Pitt over WVU, but it looks to me like they're fucked coming and going. A Pac scheduling alliance doesn't really benefit them much. Certainly not in recruiting.

Pitt only had two games televised last year; at home against Clemson and on the road against Notre Dame.   Both games were half the audience both Clemson and ND typically draw.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dewey said:

Blowsby never did shit except for sit at his desk, watching the landscape of his business change drastically and his only thought was that he had friends at ou and Texas? They want to be angry, be angry at that old timer, not at Texas or ou for seeing what they needed to do. That dude should have been working deals, looking towards the future,  being the change. Instead he sat there, they all did, except for Texas and ou. Baylor deserves this, feel bad for Tech and Okie State,  ISU as well.  

Sweet desk though.  Mahogany.  Very expensive.  Forged from the 300 foot, fire-breathing trees of Malchior 7 using ancient blood rituals of the Malchior people.

16 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

"One unsurprising dynamic has emerged from Texas’ defection: The leaders at Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech are talking on a daily basis and working closely together to figure out what’s next."

What in the ever-loving fuck is Texas Tech thinking?   Let the tiny private schools die on their own vine.  Holy shit that's stupid.

agreed.

Then again, leadership and awareness in these situations ain't exactly Tech's strong suit.

17 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

"One unsurprising dynamic has emerged from Texas’ defection: The leaders at Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech are talking on a daily basis and working closely together to figure out what’s next."

What in the ever-loving fuck is Texas Tech thinking?   Let the tiny private schools die on their own vine.  Holy shit that's stupid.

subterfuge and espionage.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I think from Tech’s point of view, this is keeping your friends close and your enemies closer. The other teams have proven they have no issue stabbing other schools in the back if it serves their interest. I think Tech is smart to use them as a backup plan while they try to get the PAC to take them. 

Edited by HornsofBevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Tech, Baylor, and TCU are best friends because it might be the smart play if none of the P4 come calling. Any of the 3 would piss on the other 2 if given the opportunity by a P4 league. They/We just haven't been given that opportunity yet. 

It’s like the four ugly band geeks hanging with each other.   One will bail as soon as Cindy Mancini comes long. Leaving the remaining three on the sidelines while you’re teaching the jocks and cheerleaders the African anteater ritual

19 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

When Leach left Tech, he cursed the place like Boston had to the deal with the Babe Ruth curse for decades.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I get a chuckle out of the fact that right now Mack Rhoades genuinely believes that if the Pac-12 says "hey Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, we'll take you but we're not taking Baylor or TCU" then Tech will say "no thanks because we're committed to them" instead of jumping at the offer.

I really think he honestly believes that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

My guess it was better academics and a big city market over anything else.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, mdmost said:

Yeah, Texas and OU weren't going to tell the rest of the Big 12 of their plans exactly because of how 1995 went with Baylor. The reaction to Texas leaving was exactly what would've happened early with Big 12 schools trying to get their legislators to block a move. Was it underhanded by Texas and OU, hell yeah. Was it completely necessary based on the schools would've reacted, hell yeah. 

Option A.  Leave quietly and undisruptive as possible (Maryland) at the appropriate time.

Option B. Try to burn down the house on the way out. (...)

Yeah.  I think the benefit of a scheduling alliance is primarily financial.  The Big 12 could probably help WVU's recruiting efforts when it eventually expands.  Cincinnati is a pretty obvious addition for them.  UCF would plant a flag in the state of Florida.  

West:  Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston, OSU, KU
East:  Memphis, WVU, UCF, Cincy, ISU, KSU

Something like that wouldn't be terrible competitively or with respect to recruiting footprint.

• Hook 'Em 1

Everybody in the ACC hates the WVU fanbase, so the ACC used academics as an excuse. WVU fans haven't been scumbags to Big 12 fanbases, so it's hard for you all to understand and maybe they're better, but that's why. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Everybody in the ACC hates the WVU fanbase, so the ACC used academics as an excuse. WVU fans haven't been scumbags to Big 12 fanbases, so it's hard for you all to understand and maybe they're better, but that's why. 

They seemed like they sucked when they joined but a lot of people on here that have actually traveled there and interacted with their fans more than me speak positively about the experience, so...

Idc Smile GIF

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The worst fans I've ever been around was Ohio State. I don't see how this could possibly be an issue. OU fans suck dick too, they are doing fine.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I went to a first round NCAA tournament that WVU was in. I came in with no impression of them, and left hating them.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I doubt the interactions will be as pleasant this year in Morgantown. 

In person I have heard people have enjoyed themselves. Here on the internet there appears to be lots of screaming at Longhorn fans; I assume they are trying to scream and horns down their way into being our rival.

2 hours ago, camel at sea said:

Yeah.  I think the benefit of a scheduling alliance is primarily financial.  The Big 12 could probably help WVU's recruiting efforts when it eventually expands.  Cincinnati is a pretty obvious addition for them.  UCF would plant a flag in the state of Florida.  

Something like that wouldn't be terrible competitively or with respect to recruiting footprint.

Barring any great offers for them to leave, this is the best option that makes any kind of sense for the leftovers. Nobody west of Lubbock makes any sense as things stand unless PAC breaks up. BYU ain’t coming. You make that conference and then scream reparations in the form of 12 team playoff and auto bid and hope somebody makes a run and keeps you viable.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Ask the fans of pretty much any FBS program on the east coast north of the Carolinas what they think of WVU and its fans, and you'll hear some things.

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Barring any great offers for them to leave, this is the best option that makes any kind of sense for the leftovers. Nobody west of Lubbock makes any sense as things stand unless PAC breaks up. BYU ain’t coming. You make that conference and then scream reparations in the form of 12 team playoff and auto bid and hope somebody makes a run and keeps you viable.

Year to year, an expanded IR8 is probably pretty competitive with the PAC and ACC except at the very top of the conference.  Most years the Big 12 champ would be in an expanded playoff and occasionally they'd win a first round game.  ISU last year beat the PAC champ by 17.  The year before I think Baylor had a squad good enough to win a first round game with the right match-up.  Some of the recent AAC champs were capable of winning a first round game.  Getting to a semi-final will be extremely though for those programs, given recruiting limitations, but it'll happen at least once or twice a decade ('11 OSU, '14 TCU were both that good.)  

To whatever degree basketball matters, with those AAC additions, the Big 12 could probably continue being a #1/#2 RPI conference.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

north:  nevada / byu / utah / colorado / colorado state / kansas / kansas state / iowa state

south:  arizona / arizona state / new mexico / new mexico state / texas tech / oklahoma state / tcu / baylor

Not one West Coast team? MWC 2.0?

2 minutes ago, SEC said:

and the shitty football

IDK if the football itself is shitty, but the atmosphere at most Pac games lacks a big game vibe. A half-empty Coliseum and Rose Bowl detracts from the on-field product. FOX marketing and hype pales in comparison to ESPN, too.

The B1G still feels "big time" despite FOX's shortcomings bc their top brands usually play in full houses. Bottom line is Pac "fans" just don't care as much. Front-runners

On 8/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, Ghost of LL said:

We are "friends" in the same way that hangers-on are always friends with the rich guy who always picks up the bar tab.  When the rich guy wants to ditch those hangers-on and just hang out with other rich guys, then they're not so friendly.

You're buying drinks?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

SIAP, but Tom Colishaw writes about what a Pac+Big 12 merger might look like.

Unwieldy doesn't begin to describe what a Pac-20 is, but desperate times right? TCU and BU have gotta be praying for this...

That’s a conference that collapses and see’s USC Washington and Oregon in the Big10 or SEC in 15 years.

18 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

That’s a conference that collapses and see’s USC Washington and Oregon in the Big10 or SEC in 15 years.

to be fair thats most likely happening one way or another regardless. 

the question is which lesson from watching the Big12 does the PAC learn and try to leverage in the meantime. 

they won't learn any lesson.  california coastal exceptionalism.  the cigars of those schools watched larry scott set a course for the sun.  tree and cal will quit d1 football before they will consider weaponizing.  the pac is doomed.   the old pac8 will go down with the ship, USC will go indy, and the entire Cal and Cal State systems will drop to d2 or quit altogether.

washington & oregon are fucked.  wastate and orgstate are turbofucked.

the cards are with utah, colorado and arizona state, with arizona along for the ride.

that's who the ir8 need to be pushing hard with, all-in, and doing it creatively, with apple or amazon as the backchannel.

the streamers need a beta test for the new world and a mountain-something is perfect.

The SEC dropped the hammer with OU and Texas. Any conference scrambling to react to that is foolish, the SEC has all the cards trying to raise the stakes only plays into the SEC hands. The push back on the playoff is a perfect example, Sankey firing back the current status quo is fine and the SEC benefits either way but trying to torpedo the playoff expansion only hurts the other conferences.

20 hours ago, camel at sea said:

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

3 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

The SEC dropped the hammer with OU and Texas. Any conference scrambling to react to that is foolish, the SEC has all the cards trying to raise the stakes only plays into the SEC hands. The push back on the playoff is a perfect example, Sankey firing back the current status quo is fine and the SEC benefits either way but trying to torpedo the playoff expansion only hurts the other conferences.

Yep.  B1G could've stopped this but they thumbed their nose at ou.  There's nobody else to blame.  Us and ou were willing to talk.