Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

I assume the only remaining issue is if the PAC dissolves completely and the teams join the MW or does the MW join the PAC for the name / Rose Bowl affiliation?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO Rose Bowl affiliation should go away.

Rose Bowl affiliations are going away when they get a guaranteed playoff rotation in a couple years

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is NY6 games going away completely or are they going to try and still have a Rose Bowl game that isn't part of the CFB playoff?

We have these 15 important matchups over here for the next 4 weeks but also, please watch this game because it has a parade with cars made out of flowers.

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Rose Bowl affiliations are going away when they get a guaranteed playoff rotation in a couple years

I don't think so.

The years it's not part of the playoffs still show up as highest non-playoff B1G vs. highest non-playoff PAC right?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is NY6 games going away completely or are they going to try and still have a Rose Bowl game that isn't part of the CFB playoff?

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

I don't think so.

The years it's not part of the playoffs still show up as highest non-playoff B1G vs. highest non-playoff PAC right?

Since there are 12 teams with the top 4 getting a bye there will be 4 home games for higher seeds then into the big bowls. The NY6 + a new bowl getting upgraded makes the most sense so we don't have Northwestern playing Oregon State in a Rose Bowl that has no meaning.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Starting next year, if the Rose Bowl isn't hosting a playoff game on NY day they can do their regular shtick with teams from the b10 and pacX. That's my understanding.

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

The Rose was basically the Big 10 and USC/UCLA.  So it stays with the new Big 10 schools.

UCLA has only played in 13 Rose Bowl games and hasn't been since before the Y2K scare. They play home games in the building, but I wouldn't say the Rose Bowl was basically them.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll add on to what others have said.  If there are invites from the Big 10 and Big 12 for these respective schools and if they don't take them, they're certified morons and deserve whatever graves they dig for themselves.  

Props to the Big 12 for resurrecting themselves.  I'm glad OU and Texas left but the league might have spun off into oblivion but now they have a solid group of schools with good regional fan bases, albeit across the country, assuming the Zona schools and Utah come on board.  Good basketball league, too.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll add on to what others have said.  If there are invites from the Big 10 and Big 12 for these respective schools and if they don't take them, they're certified morons and deserve whatever graves they dig for themselves.  

Props to the Big 12 for resurrecting themselves.  I'm glad OU and Texas left but the league might have spun off into oblivion but now they have a solid group of schools with good regional fan bases, albeit across the country, assuming the Zona schools and Utah come on board.  Good basketball league, too.

Yormark >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kliavkoff

Too bad XII didn't hire him ten years ago.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Utah has been quiet as a church mouse. Are there any hard rumors that they're ready to move to the B12? All I've seen is twitter speculation, nothing from their admin.

Just now, Sir Ulrich said:

I misread that as "Fully engorged" but I think it works either way.

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I assumed that as well. No reason Oregon and Washington should get less than $50 million while Purdue and Rutgers are close to $100 million or whatever the escalators end up at. 

Other than the value of Purdue and Rutgers was taken into consideration by FOX/CBS/NBC when they made their new deal and Oregon/Washington were not???

I think Oregon/Washington can ask for the same shares they’d receive in the Big 12 now as a junior members, with the understanding that they get full shares when the next contract is negotiated. That is a win/win for both parties.

UO/UW get Big 12 level money without having to join the Big 12 and gets to participate in a Power 2 conference with future full membership and full shares, and the Big Ten adds two second tier brands to their conference and gets more money in the short term as their buy-in. Literally helps everyone other than USC/UCLA who don’t have a vote.

47 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Since there are 12 teams with the top 4 getting a bye there will be 4 home games for higher seeds then into the big bowls. The NY6 + a new bowl getting upgraded makes the most sense so we don't have Northwestern playing Oregon State in a Rose Bowl that has no meaning.

Probably you have 4 on NYD and 2 being semi-finals.  The question is whether those are fixed or rotated.  Rose wants to always have a NYD game.  If Fiesta would always be a semi-final, that could work just fine.

2 minutes ago, bullet said:

Probably you have 4 on NYD and 2 being semi-finals.  The question is whether those are fixed or rotated.  Rose wants to always have a NYD game.  If Fiesta would always be a semi-final, that could work just fine.

The Rose wanted to get a permanent QF or SF to stay on NYD but the committee didnt budge. Seems like they will rotate with preference given to traditional tie ins dependent on who advances.

Didn’t UA & ASSU go through this crap when they joined the PAC? Wasn’t it a case of:
UA: Mom, I’m going with my friends
ABOR: Take your little brother
UA: Mom… why does he have to go??
ABOR: He’s your brother, now take him!

I think it was more of:

UA: Come on, we are going to the PAC-8
ASU: No, we are good winning the WAC every year
UA: Mom, Dad, ASU won’t go
ABOR: You are going ASU, you don’t have a choice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Was it really uneven revenue sharing or just letting schools keep their own Tier 3 rights?

As I recall, 50% of the TV money was distributed on appearances and 50% equal.  So there was at least one year Kansas led in revenue.  A typical spread of annual conference distributions might be from $7 million at the bottom to $11 million for the top earner.  They did own their Tier 3 rights as well, but other than licensing, nobody made much on them.  After the Pac 16 deal fell through and the TV contract doubled, UT and OU led the push to just distribute everything but Tier 3 equally.  That made aggy unhappy.  MU and KU had been on the verge of being left behind, so they were fine with it.  NU and CU were gone.

Pac 12 was much more uneven.  I remember one year in the 2000-2010 range when USC got $7.5 million and Washington St. $2.5 million.

24 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Don't be coy, errbody knows you've got bookfulls stashed away.

Those were spent on lawn darts and cup towels years ago. Now I could make a down payment on Pac-8 TV package with those. 

Edited by slorch