Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

19 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I would understand the ABOR refusing to let Arizona leave if ASU were going to be left with nowhere to go. I don't understand them making Arizona stay when ASU is free to come with them.

If ASU admin wants to stay, let them stay. The concern should be asu being β€œleft behind,” but if it’s their choice, they’re not left behind, because they have an invite and choose to decline.

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

Rather them be Big 10 than Big 12.Β  So good.

USC probably not too happy with Oregon add.

If Big 10 was smart, it would process Maryland and Rutgers.

In the modern realignment era have schools been processed out? Β Seems like the new way to do that is for the biggest fish to break away and leave the small fish in the carcass of the old conference.

Could the ACC take just Stanford and Cal or would that reopen the contractΒ and void the long term chain attached til 2036? Or, could they reach a ND type scheduling agreement so Stanford and Cal would be independent but fill part of its schedule with the ACC? Can the Cal board of Regents make UCLA play Cal every year for another spot?

Edited by 'stache

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Could the ACC take just Stanford and Cal or would that reopen the contractΒ and void the long term chain attached til 2036? Or, could they reach a ND type scheduling agreement so Stanford and Cal would be independent but fill part of its schedule with the ACC? Can the Cal board of Regents make UCLA play Cal every year for another spot?

I don't think Stanford and Cal really bring anything to the ACC.

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

In the modern realignment era have schools been processed out? Β Seems like the new way to do that is for the biggest fish to break away and leave the small fish in the carcass of the old conference.

Every conference needs shit like Rutgers, Maryland, Miss St, etc to pad win totalsΒ 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

At some point, some culling will need to happen for the biggest conferences to continue to expand with top brands. If the critical mass number is 20, and a school like Florida State, Notre Dame, Stanford, UNC, etc want in, then I could see the B1G or SEC looking at it's membership and booting out some chaff. They could choose to not renew a GOR for a school during a negotiation window. A school like Vandy, or Rutgers could be put on the chopping block to make way for another strong brand.Β 

Welp, that should do it for the Pac. We should take what's left in the wreath fund and pay their leftovers to start streaming their games on Surly. Servers can handle the 12 people who will actually tune in, right?

But man... that 18 team conference seems unwieldy. 16 seems about the biggest you could go and still seem like you were anything more than a group of schools just sharing a TV contract.

The USC folks have to be pissed about this. Not quite A&M-level pissed when Texas joined the SEC, but Oregon going B1G is going to raise the price of poker for recruiting in California. I don't like it for Texas, either, if we're going that route.

That’s the next round when the powers of these soon to be massive conferences start strategically splitting off leaving the dead weight behind.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

There's a clause in the GoR that states that new members must sign on to the existing GoR.

Hello Beavers and Wazzu...

The Mountain West currently has a linear television deal with FOX and CBS Sports Network with additional games on CBS through the 2025 season. Another possibility for the Mountain West, depending on how many schools are remaining in the Pac-12, could be a merger of some type between the two leagues, a source said.

As opposed to being figuratively an Iowa State alum?
200w.gif

My cousin, a Canadian national who got his undegrad up there, but is a huge Cyclone fan, has spent countless game weekends in Ames and even attended classes with me while visiting, has joked that he’s a figurative/honorary alum
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I'm sure USC is going to feel like the aliens in ID4 when Russell Casse (Oregon) shows up saying "I'm back!" I for one am glad that the Ducks won't have regular conference games in Texas to help their Nike player shopping in our neighborhood.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My cousin, a Canadian national who got his undegrad up there, but is a huge Cyclone fan, has spent countless game weekends in Ames and even attended classes with me while visiting, has joked that he’s a figurative/honorary alum

That's called a "T-shirt fan."

1 minute ago, Jasper_Jester said:

I think Stanford could make a go as a football independent. I don't see how Cal could.Β 

Cal should consider cutting spending, joining the Mountain West and using the UCLA payments to pay down their stadium debt.

So Cal and Stanford went from turning their noses up at Big 12 schools joining the PAC to now joining the Mountain West as an option? Β 

• Haha 2

Just now, Jasper_Jester said:

I think Stanford could make a go as a football independent. I don't see how Cal could.Β Β Cal should consider cutting spending, joining the Mountain West and using the UCLA payments to pay down their stadium debt.

Agree...Β Stanford and Cal don't belong in the B10 for football.Β  Stanford going independent can still focus their efforts on Olympic sports along with basketball & baseball.Β 

Β 

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I think it would be funny if the Big 12 went and got Washington State, Oregon State, and Arizona while ASU and Utah got hung out to dry.Β 

Probably won’t happen but boy if it did it would be hilarious

If Yormark was smart, he would take Arizona now, and then bide his time for the ACC implosion and leave 4 spots open there.Β 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m definitely concerned the SEC will feel the need to add a couple Big 12 schools that don’t really make financial sense just to keep up appearances

Nah, they’ll wait out the ACC. I think we’ll be at a solid 16 without much worry finally.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’m definitely concerned the SEC will feel the need to add a couple Big 12 schools that don’t really make financial sense just to keep up appearances

HaHaHaHa πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Welp, that should do it for the Pac. We should take what's left in the wreath fund and pay their leftovers to start streaming their games on Surly. Servers can handle the 12 people who will actually tune in, right?

Β 

James Franco Reaction GIF