Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

23 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Help me out here.  Why is Arizona a bigger get than Arizona State?  Zona State is in a bigger market (Phoenix) and a larger school (65K students to 36K).  They're both the same in football with Arizona being better in basketball if that matters.

Thanks.  I'll hang up and listen.  

I never thought much of the brown city (look at the streets and brownish dust everywhere) known as Tucson, where UA is. It's been a high-crime city for a long time, too.

Phoenix is overwhelmingly larger, and has some nice areas, including the Tempe (where ASU is) and Scottsdale areas, to name a couple.

10 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

That was me.  I took the L in detail in a post where I replied to bullet.

Since bullet was the person who was most adamant that the Zeros would get in the BIG, I wanted to give him his props.

From the looks of it, I was probably typing that as you were posting this.  

Good on ya sir. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Basketball.

Market probably does not matter.  I would think both state schools do about the same in Phoenix.  So many transplants in that town.

This. It's the same market. Tucson is only 111 miles from Phoenix, which is basically a suburb by southwestern standards.

I'm not sure how I feel about the PAC disintegrating. Mostly because I don't think I feel anything at all. Nobody cares about it. I mean, other than Wazzu fans. Wazzu fans seem to be really upset about it.

Both of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The University of State is always a more valuable property than State State University. Website out front shoulda told ya.

(Yes this is only true 95% of the time, but good rule of thumb)

basically Ohio and Pennsylvania being the exceptions

2 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

I never thought much of the brown city (look at the streets and brownish dust everywhere) known as Tucson, where UA is. It's been a high-crime city for a long time, too.

Phoenix is overwhelmingly larger, and has some nice areas, including the Tempe (where ASU is) and Scottsdale areas, to name a couple.

Tucson is a dump for sure, but don’t kid yourself Phoenix is a garden spot. Everyone thinks “Scottsdale & the ‘burbs are nice” but the city of Phoenix is craptacular. And that’s coming from an Arizona resident. There are areas that I have one hand on the wheel and one on a firearm. That said, ASU has the hottest girls hands-down

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, bullet said:

All the people outside the Big 12 who were convinced no Pac school would deign to join the Big 12.  But CU did and Arizona really pushed UW and Oregon into acting.

And everybody but Brett McMurphy and me (since I believed him) thought as the USC guy did.

IIRC, most people in this thread (myself included) felt like CU and UA were going to end up in the B12 after the B12 got their media deal done at a solid number with good exposure, while Klownkoff was still asking for $50m per school/year and Clownzano/Wilner were talking about streaming.

My mistake was thinking UW and UO would end up in an 18 team B12 with ASU and Utah once the PAC  collapsed.  Glad I didn't bet on it!

Once again, props to you and McMurphy for nailing it!!!

//

PS- Can't wait for the Wilner/Clownzano podcast that has the WACPAC postmortem- their last pod was comedy gold!

Edited by USC Traveler

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

I wouldn’t consider Stanford football as “dying” because of four bad years. But I could definitely see independence working for them if they can deal directly with Apple. Makes sense given their prestige and location.

IMG_1898.jpeg

Stanford football was a doormat before Harbaugh, the portal or NIL. Their historic resting spot in football is mediocre irrelevance. Independence for them will render them totally and completely worthless as an FBS program. If they can’t hold their nose and join the MWC and rebrand it the Pac Whatever, then they will and should go the Ivy League route. 

3 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Oh, Alabama will still manage to play The Citadel the week before the Auburn game. That's the #SEC "Chicken-shit Saturday" tradition... But it also means that Texas can schedule Abilene Christian. So that's nice. 

That’s not what Texas does. That won’t be what Texas does. 

• Hook 'Em 8

This. It's the same market. Tucson is only 111 miles from Phoenix, which is basically a suburb by southwestern standards.
I'm not sure how I feel about the PAC disintegrating. Mostly because I don't think I feel anything at all. Nobody cares about it. I mean, other than Wazzu fans. Wazzu fans seem to be really upset about it.
Both of them.

Does Oregon St. even realize anything is happening yet?

16 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

Tucson is a dump for sure, but don’t kid yourself Phoenix is a garden spot. Everyone thinks “Scottsdale & the ‘burbs are nice” but the city of Phoenix is craptacular. And that’s coming from an Arizona resident. There are areas that I have one hand on the wheel and one on a firearm. That said, ASU has the hottest girls hands-down

Well it’s certainly not as nice as the area that surrounds SC.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

IIRC, most people in this thread (myself included) felt like CU and UA were going to end up in the B12 after the B12 got their media deal done at a solid number with good exposure, while Klownkoff was still asking for $50m per school/year and Clownzano/Wilner were talking about streaming.

My mistake was thinking UW and UO would end up in an 18 team B12 with ASU and Utah once the PAC  collapsed.  Glad I didn't bet on it!

Once again, props to you and McMurphy for nailing it!!!

//

PS- Can't wait for the Wilner/Clownzano podcast that has the WACPAC postmortem- their last pod was comedy gold!

Wilner thought that none of this was going to happen, and as the story evolved, his commentary sounded more and more like Denial.

He also sounded annoyed that this upset his PAC-world or interrupted his vacation, or all of the above.

Listening to that Entitled Fuckstick eat crow on the post-mortem will be gold!  Can't wait!   Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So realistically, what is the Leftovers' best move? Invite four-to-six more to keep the Pac brand?
Cal
Stanford
Oregon St.
Wash St.
SDSU
SMU
Colorado St.
UNLV
Boise St.
Tulane
??

Might as well to keep the automatic bid (and the accompanying $$$) for now.

Fresno St. would also be a logical addition.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

So realistically, what is the Leftovers' best move? Invite four-to-six more to keep the Pac brand?

Cal
Stanford
Oregon St.
Wash St.
SDSU
SMU
Colorado St.
UNLV
Boise St.
Tulane

??

Merge with ACC and have better standing when 4 teams leave for the Sec/B10

Only 5-6 schools left that are needle movers. These will go to the SEC and B10 to form the 2 main conferences. 2 mid conferences from the ACC and Big 12. 

Big 12 and ACC survive. 

New Division one is established from these 4 conferences. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Mountain pod and East pod to go along with the Big 8 and SWC pods.

I would think ISU and the KS schools will fight hard to stay together, and CU fits perfectly b/c of the history and location.  Right @Al_4_ISU ?

UH makes some sense with Cincy, UCF and WV, since the the first three all came from the AAC together, and those 4 probably have the least juice in the boardroom.

I'd think OSU would be fine giving up some longer-term Big 8 rivalries to have more games in TX every year.

@'stache, @oSuJeff97 is that the case ?

3 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

I would think ISU and the KS schools will fight hard to stay together, and CU fits perfectly b/c of the history and location.  Right @Al_4_ISU ?

UH makes some sense with Cincy, UCF and WV, since the the first three all came from the AAC together, and those 4 probably have the least juice in the boardroom.

I'd think OSU would be fine giving up some longer-term Big 8 rivalries to have more games in TX every year.

OSU will fight to the death to be with BU, TCU, and Tech, and should win being a legacy program. That puts UH to the East and takes care of ISU.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Cal
Stanford
Oregon St.
Wash St.
SDSU
SMU
Colorado St.
UNLV
Boise St.
Tulane

??

The problem is they've got to convince several schools to pay a $34M buyout to leave the MWC and they can't guarantee a big media deal to any school who makes that choice.  Maybe Apple will still pay well above the MWC payout if the rebuilt PAC goes all-in, but that remains to be seen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

OSU will fight to the death to be with BU, TCU, and Tech, and should win being a legacy program. That puts UH to the East and takes care of ISU.

I think it'll fall something like this:

If only 1 rival:

Utah-BYU

Arizona-ASU

Colorado-Iowa St.

Kansas-Kstate

Tech - Okie St.

TCU - Baylor

Central Florida - Houston

Cincy - WVU

If 3 rival (my 1st attempt):

Arizona - ASU, Utah, Colorado

Arizona St. - Arizona, Utah, BYU

Baylor - TCU, BYU, Houston

BYU - Utah, Arizona St., Baylor

Cincy - WVU, Central Florida, Kansas

Central Florida - WVU, Cincy, Houston

Colorado - Arizona, Utah, Iowa St.

Houston - Central Florida, Tech, Baylor

Iowa St.- Colorado, KSU, WVU

Kansas - Kstate,, Iowa St, Cincy

Kansas St. - Kansas, Iowa St. Okie St.

Okie St. -TCU, TTech, K state

TCU - Baylor, Okie St., Tech

TTech - Houston, Okie St. , TCU

Utah - BYU, Arizona, Arizona St. 

West Virgina - Cincy, Central Florida, Iowa St.

Edited by Dnaguy

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I know it's a bit unseemly for some of you, but all of this is good for college football. We have been fed dogshit matchups for decades and told to shut up and like it. As much as all of this is a money grab, there is no bigger money grab than the bullshit schedules we have been fed and told to shut up and like it.

Every week in the fall, I check the schedule and there are a handful of great matchups that are must see TV for me. The teams that are getting left behind are rarely, if ever, on that must see list. Yes, please, for the sake of nostalgia give us more Texas games against Baylor and Tech and TCU when we could be playing Bama and Georgia and Florida. Who is more excited to see Oregon play Cal or Washington State instead of Michigan or Penn State? 

Great post.  

I love how UT and OU moving to the SEC keeps RRS, while adding aggy and Arky back onto UT's schedule, and gives us UT-Bama, OU-UGA, etc every other year.  

Same thing with USC, and the former PAC schools playing BIG heavyweights.  There will be a few great games every weekend from 2024 onwards.  That includes games in the B12, which is going to be a really balanced league that's going to provide a lot of great games to watch.  

Games like KSU-TCU, TCU-Baylor and BYU-Baylor (future conference game)were great last year.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Well it’s certainly not as nice as the area that surrounds SC.

No doubt lol. Coming from L.A., generalizing the major city instead of the  actual city bugs me. UCLA is in Westwood, not in Downtown LA. I’m sure the residents of Tempe or Scottsdale don’t say they live in Phoenix. We did business in the old Phoenix area and it was every bit as bad as South Central

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Merge with ACC and have better standing when 4 teams leave for the Sec/B10

Only 5-6 schools left that are needle movers. 2 main conferences. 2 mid conferences. 

Big 12 and ACC survive. 

New Division one is established from these 4 conferences. 

I'm pretty sure the ACC, Fox and ESPN are all quite sure the ACC won't exist in 8 years. The top teams will get invites/mandates to BIGSEC: ND, Fst, Clem at least, and probably Miami and possibly UVA. 

Going a step farther, if ESPN/FOX decide to truly "tier 1" at that time, they could well orchestrate a super league by invitation only where vandy, rutgers, nwestern, etc are all not accepted, and the top 54 media draws are. The Big 12 media rights deal also conveniently expires in the same time frame, so the best 2-4 brands in the new big 18 or whatever would join the party. That timing means the SEC and BIG and FOX and ESPN can effectively divide up all of football for the most possible profit and get everyone else for 1-2 million a year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Still think everybody is walking themselves into the Big 10 and SEC carving up the ACC and Notre Dame getting to 18-20 and telling everybody to fuck off.

They will align each conference by divisions then each team will play within their divisions with some rotating cross division and cross conference match ups. Then we will have playoffs amongst each conference’s division winners and maybe some other top finishes…we can call them wild cards, to crown two conference champions who will then play each other in the Supe…uhh College Bowl.

Probably takes 5-10 years but the B12 “killing off” the Pac keeps them pretty bloodless in this one so they can to to work on the end game.

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

IF things get divided up like this, hell yes. We've been playing OSU annually for as long as I've been watching football. Screw UH. 

8 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

No doubt lol. Coming from L.A., generalizing the major city instead of the  actual city bugs me. UCLA is in Westwood, not in Downtown LA. I’m sure the residents of Tempe or Scottsdale don’t say they live in Phoenix. We did business in the old Phoenix area and it was every bit as bad as South Central

7 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

IMG_1092.jpeg

Utah really is an entitled ugly girl. Nothing worse. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Big 10 took advantage of a bargain...

Oregon, Washington agree to massive financial discounts in accepting invitations to Big Ten

SCOTT ROUSSEL         14 MINUTES AGO

The additions of Oregon and Washington was announced Friday afternoon by the Big Ten. Both teams will begin play in the conference in 2024. 

What was not announced; but has been reported by multiple outlets is the financial haircut (or discount) both programs agreed to in connection with admittance. 

Current Big Ten teams receive distributions of approximately $60 million per year from the Conference. 

Oregon and Washington have reportedly agreed to terms that begin with them each receiving approximately half that number, around $30 million in year one. It has been reported that the number will grow to close to $40 million over the course of the next seven years when the Conference is scheduled to enter into a new TV contract. At that time both Oregon and Washington will begin to receive a full-share of Conference revenues. 

Thus, over seven years, it appears each school will receive approximately $200 million less than fellow Big Ten universities. Quite a discount. Says a lot about the Pac-12's proposed economics. 

Unquestionably this is a far better, and more stable landing spot for the two universities; but the discount involved makes clear how much stronger the Big Ten is than the conference formerly known as the Pac-12. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, USC Traveler said:

That includes games in the B12, which is going to be a really balanced league that's going to provide a lot of great games to watch.  

Games like KSU-TCU, TCU-Baylor and BYU-Baylor (future conference game)were great last year.

That's where we differ.

I don't want to see B12 teams ever again, and I won't watch their games on TV. They aren't going to get NEAR the TV ratings people seem to think they'll get, but you'll soon find that out for yourself.

A lot of us Texas olds hope those cockroaches that decided their season's success each year on whether they beat Texas or not, will just dry up and disappear.

Not going to watch them on TV. Don't care. They can fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Drool 2