2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Watch the play at 8:03

What am I watching for? Sanders and Helms throwing great clearly blocks, Whittington running over a safety, juking a DL in space, or getting caught from behind? What about the TCU game where he was wide open and he fell down leading to a drop on a huge 3rd down play, or when he didn't turn his head around in time and missed an easy TD on an RPO.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Don't keep up with Bama but after Waddle got hurt Slade is listed as playing Witts position and you are telling me this 3 star is more athletic.

8546706.jpeg?fit=crop&width=100

Oh another thing it is good to know Waddle was a 3rd or 4th option.

I mean comparing Whittington to Alabama's 5th string WR is not the dunk you think it is. Bolden played in 8 games and put up 24-270-1, while not quite up to Whittington not a dramatic fall off either. I was trying to be nice because Whittington is not even in the same area code as Bama's #2 WRs in both of Sarkisian's seasons. So, feel free to keep believing that Whittington has elite traits for the position because he doesn't have anywhere near the production of the guys in Sarkisian's offense that did. Despite being the #2 WR for 2 years now in Sarkisian's offense, Whittington has four TDs and one 100-yard game. The same number as Casey Cain.

I can now see how he is unreplaceable.

Edited by HtownHorn

16 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean comparing Whittington to Alabama's 5th string WR is not the dunk you think it is. Bolden played in 8 games and put up 24-270-1, while not quite up to Whittington not a dramatic fall off either. I was trying to be nice because Whittington is not even in the same area code as Bama's #2 WRs in both of Sarkisian's seasons. So, feel free to keep believing that Whittington has elite traits for the position because he doesn't have anywhere near the production of the guys in Sarkisian's offense that did.

No winning with you since you ignore how wrong you were and go off on a tangent. You said the guys that played JWitts position were more athletic and 3rd and 4th options at Bama. One was more athletic and hardly a 3rd or 4th option (Waddle) the other did not come near to being more athletic than JWitt. I asked the question of position and not how far down depth chart. How is he used was my question.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

No winning with you since you ignore how wrong you were and go off on a tangent. You said the guys that played JWitts position were more athletic and 3rd and 4th options at Bama. One was more athletic and hardly a 3rd or 4th option (Waddle) the other did not come near to being more athletic than JWitt. I asked the question of position and not how far down depth chart. How is he used was my question.

Are you saying Jeudy or Metchie weren't more athletic than Whittington? His usage was based on his athleticism, or lack of it.

He wasn't a HR hitter or a guy that is going to pick up chunk yards consistently in space,

So Sarkisian schemed him in the intermediate when he could use Worthy as a decoy to draw coverage on the go routes, or Sanders being the mismatch from seam to seam. He used other Bama receivers in a similar role and they had monster production. The whole point is that Whittington had more than enough opportunities to score more than 1 TD and produce at least one 100-yard game. Cain produced a 100-yard game this year, why couldn't the fastest timed guy on the team? He isn't even consistent enough with his hands to be in the chain mover category.

Edited by HtownHorn

I think the key point here is, “athleticism” covers a broad range of abilities, and can be a misleading term, depending on what you’re specifically looking to accomplish. We hear about OL with great athleticism, relative to their position. Whittington is fast and strong, but has never been a scary WR after the catch unless the defender is worried about being run over. He’s not elusive or smooth.

Great point about Whittington’s contributions as a blocker.  He definitely got other players yards and TD they wouldn’t have gotten if he were a selfish teammate.  His contribution to the team is far greater than the numbers he puts up.  The opposite of Worthy.  
My hope that Worthy stays is primarily FOMO; that he’ll go somewhere else and out up big numbers but I don’t think that happens because I don’t think he’s the type who will suddenly care about route precision, or sell out to catch a ball that’s not perfectly thrown.  And he’s never shown the ability to make tough catches and he drops a lot of easy balls.  

I have no idea who Brennan Thompson is as a player, have no idea what Neyor will be like coming off an injury, Cane is who he is, and you dont want have to rely of true freshman.  Hope was can find a killer via the portal.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Great point about Whittington’s contributions as a blocker.  He definitely got other players yards and TD they wouldn’t have gotten if he were a selfish teammate.  His contribution to the team is far greater than the numbers he puts up.  The opposite of Worthy.  
My hope that Worthy stays is primarily FOMO; that he’ll go somewhere else and out up big numbers but I don’t think that happens because I don’t think he’s the type who will suddenly care about route precision, or sell out to catch a ball that’s not perfectly thrown.  And he’s never shown the ability to make tough catches and he drops a lot of easy balls.  

I have no idea who Brennan Thompson is as a player, have no idea what Neyor will be like coming off an injury, Cane is who he is, and you dont want have to rely of true freshman.  Hope was can find a killer via the portal.  

If he leaves, man, I don't know if we have another dude who can block like Whitt. That guy was all in as a blocker. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I don’t get the criticism of Whitt.  I agree he’s not lived up to 5 star and he doesn’t play as fast as you’d think but he gets open, has very good hands and moves the sticks. He doesn’t pull away from defenders but he fights for yards.  He plays in a part of the fields where there’s a lot of traffic.  He’s less likely to have huge gains.  
He’s reliable, physical, high effort guy.  
He’s a way better number 2 receiver than Worthy is a number 1 receiver or Cain is a number 3 (or whoever we consider the no 3).  

It’s ok to point out the weaknesses in a player. It doesn’t mean he’s not appreciated for what he does. Without going back and reading this shit again, I believe the discussion was about his limitations. I’d definitely take three of him over 3 Worthys, but it would further limit the playcalling, which would probably be positive outcome in our current situation.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Worthy is a willing blocker and does well for his size

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes. He doesn't show much athleticism on the field. When he makes a catch, he usually gets tackled at that spot. He is not a guy that gets a lot of separation naturally due to his athleticism. He gets it through the confines of the offense. No plays over 45 yards in his entire career. Casey Cain might be the slowest WR on this team and he had two plays longer this season than Whittington has had in his entire career.

It's also mind-boggling that J.Whitt has NEVER had a 100-yard receiving game, but Casey Cain just had 1 in the bowl game.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, SuckitKevin said:

If you go back and look at film, Whit was open so many times while the ball was being forced to Worthy. I think he’d be looked at a lot differently if we had a more experienced qb who read the field better.

I am of the opinion that Ewers had been instructed to throw deep to X when there was a 1 on 1 match up. I can’t prove it, but that is my guess 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Whitt is just another link in the long chain of athletes who wrecked shop in HS came to Texas and didn’t do shit. His state title game looked like a video game. Then he gets here and is injured every time he tied his shoes. Just another what could have been 

Just another athlete take that never mastered a position. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 bowl games and a title game left.  16 teams.  Still waiting for that rush of post-bowl talent that 9.95'ers told us was going to enter the portal and was the reason Texas was holding off on offering any of the 'lesser' WR/S talent that had already entered. 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Aggies are to suppose announce a “big time” transfer this weekend. Safety from FSU. 

I thought they they had their safeties of the future already on the roster so curious how this all plays out if true. 

and yes, definitely offering a nice sum per the kids family. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

8 bowl games and a title game left.  16 teams.  Still waiting for that rush of post-bowl talent that 9.95'ers told us was going to enter the portal and was the reason Texas was holding off on offering any of the 'lesser' WR/S talent that had already entered. 

maybe you should wait to think before posting whatever stupid thought comes to mind

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

Aggies are to suppose announce a “big time” transfer this weekend. Safety from FSU. 

I thought they they had their safeties of the future already on the roster so curious how this all plays out if true. 

The McCall kid? He is a headcase. Norvell basically pushed him out the door.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The McCall kid? He is a headcase. Norvell basically pushed him out the door.

Yes, it’s him. 

But the Aggies need some recruiting momentum and they will get to tell their fans how they just went into Florida and got a National top 50 level recruit. 

6 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Biggest lottery ticket in the portal. 

if he gives you a healthy season you hit the jackpot. 

Adding him and Holmes definitely solidifies the secondary heading into next year. 

Imo it will be harder to replace Cook than Jamison, but I don’t think either is irreplaceable. Brooks had basically taken Jamison’s job by the end of the season. 

DB should be a strength heading into next season assuming we get a quality safety added.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, FreeHorn said:

Yes, it’s him. 

But the Aggies need some recruiting momentum and they will get to tell their fans how they just went into Florida and got a National top 50 level recruit. 

Adding him and Tony Grimes sums up that program perfectly right now. All flash and recruiting rankings from high school.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Adding him and Tony Grimes sums up that program perfectly right now. All flash and recruiting rankings from high school.

I love that their solution to correcting the culture issues that caused them to boot multiple 5 star 'trouble-makers' is to bring in another teams booted 5-star trouble-maker.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

A lot of risk. I’d rather take a higher floor, lower ceiling Safety in the portal… I’ve seen too much of Haines, Schooler, and Taeffe the past decade.

I think we can roll the dice a little at safety. I still think there is a good chance Jordan ends up at safety long term, especially with Holmes and Muhammad coming in. Williams will be a factor early at safety as well.

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If there is a correlation, I'm not seeing it.

Due to poor safety depth, we’ve had to resort to playing two physically limited walk-ons (Haines, Taeffe) and a converted WR (Schooler) in the past ~decade. I’m tired of  seeing it. A portal option like Jonathan McGill doesn’t have Catalon’s ceiling, but could’ve started from day #1 with minimal risk.

Edited by ATXhorn17

14 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Yes, it’s him. 

It's not momentum, a word they use in the strangest ways, it's a desperate PR move as you describe. Another highly ranked toxic addition to their locker room. Yikes! Or hahahaha!

I doubt it does much for momentum meaning that are grabbing increasing interest from other valuable players.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Due to poor safety depth, we’ve had to resort to playing two physically limited walk-ons (Haines, Taeffe) and a converted WR (Schooler) in the past ~decade. I’m tired of  seeing it. A portal option like Jonathan McGill doesn’t have Catalon’s ceiling, but could’ve started from day #1 with minimal risk.

Don't go after that all-american safety because of Dylan Haines is an interesting take. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Well, given their injury history and the amount of DBs they have returning, I can see them taking a safety. He's probably being told he is the missing piece to win a championship. What that really means, is he will sit on the bench behind 2 young starters that are really good.

5 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Perhaps, but look at it another way. Why did McGill end up at SMU from Stanford? Did he have any decent P5 offers?

After this season, Texas definitely has depth at safety even if it is by virtue of having many DBs. Texas is going high risk, high reward in the portal and that's probably the way it should be.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s only been healthy enough to play in 23 career games.  He’s had a first year starting QB in 18 of those and a backup in the other 5.  But he still has 1000+ career yards and essentially the same ypc (0.2 less) for his career as LilJordan Humphrey, another athlete take.  When he’s played, he’s played winning football the vast majority of the time.  

That's interesting. Humphrey has always seemed like a much better college player.

33 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s only been healthy enough to play in 23 career games.  He’s had a first year starting QB in 18 of those and a backup in the other 5.  But he still has 1000+ career yards and essentially the same ypc (0.2 less) for his career as LilJordan Humphrey, another athlete take.  When he’s played, he’s played winning football the vast majority of the time.  

I am not arguing that he wasn’t solid. Someone just said another 5 star that didn’t live up to his rankings. Injuries certainly played a factor in his development. Solid player. That comp is missing something. LJH put up almost the same amount of receiving yards his Junior year that JWhitt has collected over his career.

Edited by Codaxx

27 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Brooks may also end up at safety.

It will be interesting to see what they do with him. I know they brought in Holmes as a field corner. Brooks seems like a sure bet to take over for Watts at boundary corner when he leaves after next year, so maybe they do a temporary move to nickel or safety.

We have options, which is nice.