2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, he actually was for most of the season in 3 WR sets.  He played a lot until after the Iowa State game when we finally accepted he was bad.

The fact that he finished with 4 catches on the year as our number 3 WR is pretty amazing in any case.  I think you’d probably have to go back to our wishbone days to find something similar.

As an old, I can tell you we did not have 3 WR when we were running the wishbone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, he actually was for most of the season in 3 WR sets.  He played a lot until after the Iowa State game when we finally accepted he was bad.  A better player in that spot would have had a real benefit.

The fact that he finished with 4 catches on the year as our number 3 WR is pretty amazing in any case.  I think you’d probably have to go back to our wishbone days to find something similar.

Oh, so you’re defining “starter” as 3rd WR off the bench even though we ran way more 2 TE sets, or 2 back sets than true 3 WR sets. 

pedantry indeed. He had 4 catches on the year. He is no one’s version of a “starter.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Solid pedantry notwithstanding, it is possible to be the number 3 WR on a team without having 3 WRs on the field at the same time.  

Which, btw, our third leading WR (not counting RBs or TEs) on the 1969 team had 4 catches.  So, yes, Casey Cain brought the production of a backup WR on a wishbone team to the table even though he actually saw the field a lot for a 2022 offense. 

In 2004, our third leading receiver at WR was Nate Jones, with 7 catches (but fewer yards than Cain had this year).

13 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not transfer portal related, or is it?

image.thumb.png.a3adf0c271182ea15e53de1ce0bb742e.png

(Heard he got an A in ballroom dancing ... so yeah, it's grade-related, and an obvious violation of LSU's team rules.  You never show up your team mates.)

Edited by Getafix

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

The Athletic has a running list of top 25 transfers currently available and the breakdown is as follows:

5 WR

4 QB

3 CB

3 RB

3 OL

2 DT

2 DE/Edge (Trace Ford and the guy from Wake Forest that just entered)

2 Safeties (Catalon and the Carter dude from Syracuse)

1 LB (Nick Jackson from Virginia)

0 TE

Cross off Trace Ford. 

So of the 25 best transfers available, 4 play positions we are portal shopping for defensively. Demand far exceeds the supply right now.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We only started running way more 2 TE sets and routinely playing an OL at one of the TE spots when it became apparent that our WRs sucked.   It’s not like Sark is known for taking pass catchers off the field so we can go jumbo with Andrej Karic types as an extra tight end.   That was done because we had no better options and had to phase out the useless 3rd WR.  It highlights how badly the WR room needs upgrading, not how we don’t need WRs because we’re somehow Tom Osborne era Nebraska now.  

To pretend he didn’t start games and play a bunch of snaps is bizarre.    

I mean, this kinda proves the point he wasn't a starting level WR.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We only started running way more 2 TE sets and routinely playing an OL at one of the TE spots when it became apparent that our WRs sucked.   It’s not like Sark is known for taking pass catchers off the field so we can go jumbo with Andrej Karic types as an extra tight end.   That was done because we had no better options and had to phase out the useless 3rd WR.  It highlights how badly the WR room needs upgrading, not how we don’t need WRs because we’re somehow Tom Osborne era Nebraska now.  

To pretend he didn’t start games and play a bunch of snaps is bizarre.    

I think the disconnect here is your usage of a guy who starts some games, versus a “starter.” There’s a difference, and you know there’s a difference. If Karic plays the first snap of the game, and rotates off till the 4th quarter, he isn’t a starter. We also don’t usually refer to guys who exclusively start on special teams as “starters.” And there is a reason why. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, because he was bad.  And we had to play him anyway.  So, we should get someone who is a starting level WR.

Some of you are acting like if Neyor hadn’t have been hurt, then either he or Worthy would have only had 4 catches this year because we purposefully only want two WRs to do anything in our offense.

Maybe you should stop calling Casey Cain a “starter” when we shifted the offense so as to play him less, and he still played extremely limited snaps. That’s usually the opposite of what is considered a “starter” at any position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Is it? The guy hasn’t been healthy in years and even when he was healthy, he was just okay. Maybe @Hiphopopotamos can add his PFF grades but from what I remember he brings basically nothing to the table against the run.

Not great.  Looks like he misses a shit-load of tackles.

image.thumb.png.2552d2faa180fab421e402375d18ac3f.png

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Snap % for Casey Cain the second half of the season:

ISU- 14.7%

OSU- 23%

KSU- 19%

TCU- 6.7%

Kansas- 17.7% (majority in garbage time)

Baylor- 4.3%

The dude was about the 6th passing option in this offense. Talking about him is a waste of time.

Especially when we could be talking about really important things like CFS, cheese, nursing, etc?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s super easy, I guess. I assume you’re whipping out to help with the funding. It takes money to retain, and way more than expected in this cycle; money to magnetize transfers; and money to win for future classes. The game has changed. You need to be armed to the teeth financially to get the absolute best 11, nevermind 85. Texas is doing everything it can to be right there on that, but this shit is changing daily in this chaos. 

was not expecting the kindler, gentler ctj response to this. I am disappoint.

cf-dafuq.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FreeHorn said:

In regards to a certain WR there are two things at play. 1 - His current team is absolutely aware of all the “rumors” and understands how much the potential transfer would hurt the school’s perception. Desperate times call for desperate measures. 2 - The family has been made some very big promises in regard to OC and scheme change. I doubt you see any movement until the OC is hired. That’s going to work in Texas favor cause it doesn’t seem like the big splash promised is going to happen. 

Regarding point #2, I could see Jimbo dragging that out past the closing date for portal entries.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

He did start games. I'd have to do research to find out how many, but he did start some. 

he started 3 games.

image.png.809b6c54861510dd2e732e98403d1871.png

Bama, OU and Kansas.

that is the same number as Andre Karic started at TE (UTSA, OkState, TCU) - i guess the people calling Cain a starter also called Karic our starting TE?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s super easy, I guess. I assume you’re whipping out to help with the funding. It takes money to retain, and way more than expected in this cycle; money to magnetize transfers; and money to win for future classes. The game has changed. You need to be armed to the teeth financially to get the absolute best 11, nevermind 85. Texas is doing everything it can to be right there on that, but this shit is changing daily in this chaos. 

Ok, so it is a financial issue.  If that's the case, and Texas is "doing everything it can to be righ there on that," why are other programs doing so much better at filling their holes than we are?  Look at what USC is doing in the portal.  Are they more "armed to the teeth financially" than Texas?  

• Fuck You 10

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Regarding point #2, I could see Jimbo dragging that out past the closing date for portal entries.

There is another window in May.  Jimbo going through spring practice without an OC would be delicious but I doubt it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

He knows the hand sign...

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Good pick-up for OU.

Is it? The guy hasn’t been healthy in years and even when he was healthy, he was just okay. Maybe @Hiphopopotamos can add his PFF grades but from what I remember he brings basically nothing to the table against the run.

4E87EC03-7373-4ADC-886D-6EB8DB4C5E90.thumb.jpeg.23ba3ba4daf6244414f56372806b7c1a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

OK, lookes like Trace Ford is more of a situational EDGE passrusher & not an every down EDGE player.

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

He knows the hand sign...

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Good pick-up for OU.

4E87EC03-7373-4ADC-886D-6EB8DB4C5E90.thumb.jpeg.23ba3ba4daf6244414f56372806b7c1a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

OK, lookes like Trace Ford is more of a situational EDGE passrusher & not an every down EDGE player.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

Ok, so it is a financial issue.  If that's the case, and Texas is "doing everything it can to be righ there on that," why are other programs doing so much better at filling their holes than we are?  Look at what USC is doing in the portal.  Are they more "armed to the teeth financially" than Texas?  

Jesus just stop talking already.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

I personally don't see why we don't money-whip every player over 2 stars at every position and sort them out later. We'll pay so much they will walk on to our rugby team and practice separately without taking up a scholarship until we need to use the "internal portal" to put them on the football roster. After what we've seen of this recruiting cycle, I'm not sure we can trust Sark to get and maintain us the talent we need, sadly. Spring portal deadline is coming within the next year, and we have not had any pressers alerting us to the buzzer-beater strategies he plans to use to get someone before it's too late.

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, because he was bad.  And we had to play him anyway.  So, we should get someone who is a starting level WR.

Some of you are acting like if Neyor hadn’t have been hurt, then either he or Worthy would have only had 4 catches this year because we purposefully only want two WRs to do anything in our offense.

We have Neyor potentially next year, possibly Whittington Brennan Thompson should improve and fucking Johntay Cook and Ryan Niblett. Maybe wait for a real WR to become available

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Hook 'Em 2