2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

closetojumping

39 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Portal is a plus for coaches that figure out how to use it.  

Get better players in than those going out.  

The hard part is keeping the good players,  coaches like Dumbo can only cry about it.  

B60006E2-B5F5-42A8-9FDF-ECBF65833F27.gif.abbc5bf458983af0dcea138beb389f0a.gif

Edited by Bigbend1812
Can’t remember who made this but goddamn it’s great!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You don’t think that WR from Missouri who was first team all SEC would have beat out Casey Cain?  OK.   How about the Jihad guy from Syracuse who was a freshman all American.  You don’t think he was better than Thompson?   I don’t think you’ve looked very hard.  

You are both correct.  There are 1000 people in the portal and like 990 of them wouldn't move the needle for us. He's right when he says there just isn't much in the way of talent in there, certainly not enough to go around.  
There are a couple players that would be upgrades. We've already found 2. I assume we will add 2WR's a S and maybe someone in the front 7 between here and there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You are both correct.  There are 1000 people in the portal and like 990 of them wouldn't move the needle for us. He's right when he says there just isn't much in the way of talent in there, certainly not enough to go around.  
There are a couple players that would be upgrades. We've already found 2. I assume we will add 2WR's a S and maybe someone in the front 7 between here and there. 

I don't have as much faith as you do that there will suddenly be an abundance of talent entering the portal after bowl games.

• Hook 'Em 1

After bowl games, after spring practices, etc. 

It’s better they come in sooner to learn the schemes, but you don’t want to potentially bring in a guy at or below the level of the guys on your roster or a bad personality fit. 

They’ll get their share of guys if the right guys become available

1 minute ago, bEastTexas said:

200 reached out to him and want to plays with, yet he signed exactly 3 of them 1 guy in the top 200 and the other 2 borderline 4* guys in the fringe of the top 250. 

This.  Deion may be a great coach - I don't know - but I do know that a couple of great players (like Travis Hunter) aren't going to have the same impact playing in the P5 as they would in a lower level like HBCUs.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Atticus said:

After bowl games, after spring practices, etc. 

It’s better they come in sooner to learn the schemes, but you don’t want to potentially bring in a guy at or below the level of the guys on your roster or a bad personality fit. 

They’ll get their share of guys if the right guys become available

Thats the point - its beginning to look like those guys might not become available.  I think portal may play out like Free Agency where the top guys on a team get taken care of by collectives but there isn't enough money to keep those next tier of guys around.  Is Sark willing to sign that next tier - or is he just big game hunting?

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That may be true - but why the hell would anyone take his word for it?

There are roughly 400 5 & 4 star players in a class - you're saying half of them reached out to Deion in 12 hours?  Or even if you're talking a couple of classes 25%

Guy is a world-class self-promoter and its ridiculous to take anything he says at face value.

77 4*+ in the portal (based on their portal re-rank) + about 400 4/5* players per class

in theory there are 4 classes on college campuses + 2 HS classes that can reach out.

so something like 2500 total 4*s out there based on composite = like 16% of players.

also this could be everything from filling out Colorado's shitty "are you interested in playing here" form to phone calls/voicemails to tweets.

not that any of this matters because he is absolutely inflating the number and is a hell of a self promoter lol

• Haha 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Auburn right now

image.gif.126aef7f3e0a37b543efc82b70ef14bf.gif

Not really, if you are just talking football. Auburn’s recruiting has almost overnight ratcheted up several notches.  Gerry Hamilton was taking about that on a recent podcast.  Auburn is going to be a problem for programs recruiting players in the Southeast.  And the on field coaching is proven at this level, unlike the Colorado staff.  Maybe Auburn will look stupid in 3 years but they went with the more proven football commodity, appearances be damned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Not really, if you are just talking football. Auburn’s recruiting has almost overnight ratcheted up several notches.  Gerry Hamilton was taking about that on a recent podcast.  Auburn is going to be a problem for programs recruiting players in the Southeast.  And the on field coaching is proven at this level, unlike the Colorado staff.  Maybe Auburn will look stupid in 3 years but they went with the more proven football commodity, appearances be damned. 

Freeze knows the game and is a reasonable fit.

Harsin was a horrible fit from Day 1. I feel confident that Freeze will have a record better than 9-12 over his first 21 games.

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You think their portal approach is to protect against “hurt feelings” on the current roster?

I don't know, but I know there have been multiple wide receivers in the portal better than Casey Cain and we haven't hosted any of them.  I know we haven't hosted any linebackers, despite multiple quality starters being available.  We've only hosted one safety and apparently we got outbid by Ohio State, which hey, that happens.  I don't know why, I just know we have multiple positions of need and multiple portal players available to fill those needs and we don't seem to be making an effort at getting them.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

We already upgraded 2 positions and hosted a guy that would upgrade a third (Carter, though based on the update wording we got Buckeyed). Bowls haven't happened yet. Chill.

I'm not saying the sky is falling, I'm just saying I wish they were more proactive about getting guys who can compete for starting spots.  We have holes at WR, LB, and Safety.  We've hosted 1 safety, no WRs, and no LBs.  I understand us not going after mid guys at Edge or OL, we've got a lot of bodies there and we'd only take a real difference-maker.  But we have no one proven to play beside Jerrin Thompson, we have no productive 3rd WR after Zay and JWhitt, and we have no one to replace Overshown and DTD's snaps at LB.  Would it be great if we could find studs for those holes?  Sure.  But I'll take steady, productive contributors even if they aren't surefire draft picks.  DTD was a great addition last year, an athletically limited but obviously experienced and talented plug-and-play guy to provide decent snaps at LB.  A guy like that at each position of need would be fantastic and those guys are available.

I wonder if the staff is going to go about the EDGE position like they did OL last year?  Knowing they recruited a bunch of high rated guys and go with them next year.  We could possibly have a 2-deep of Sorrell/Finkley/Tapp/Burke next year.

I would like to see usd get a LB, but outside of the Tulsa one, I haven't seen us really being connected with one.

Same with Safety.  I know we've hosted one.  The guy from New Mexico that's from the Houston was mentioned by some posters here, but I don't think any $9.95ers have.  He also just got a crystal ball to Ole Miss.

I do like the two guys we've got so far.  Doesn't look like Stewart or Anderson are going to portal out like was originally thought.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

12 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go ahead and actually name the multiple quality linebackers available. 

Mason Cobb would have been a perfect plug-and-play guy who would have better than DTD was last year.  That's one guy off the top of my head that we never seemed to try for.  That's the main guy I had in mind, but there have been plenty of other guys at least as good as DTD was last year and we haven't made a run at any of them.  I love Anthony Hill, I think our 2023 LB class is fantastic, but I am not remotely interested in placing faith in true freshmen to take over starting roles.

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

My point on Auburn was that they needed a jolt, something to make a recruit in the Southeast pick them instead of Bama or Georgia. Deion might have moved the needle, Freeze won't. In the NIL age, most of Freeze's dark magic is obsolete. 

EARLY SIGNING DAY ARTICLE

image.thumb.png.9ab469d6a8778ec9ed263bb97ed8814a.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I wonder if the staff is going to go about the EDGE position like they did OL last year?  Knowing they recruited a bunch of high rated guys and go with them next year.  We could possibly have a 2-deep of Sorrell/Finkley/Tapp/Burke next year.

I would like to see usd get a LB, but outside of the Tulsa one, I haven't seen us really being connected with one.

Same with Safety.  I know we've hosted one.  The guy from New Mexico that's from the Houston was mentioned by some posters here, but I don't think any $9.95ers have.  He also just got a crystal ball to Ole Miss.

I do like the two guys we've got so far.  Doesn't look like Stewart or Anderson are going to portal out like was originally thought.

Adari Haulcy.  From Missouri City.  He apparently doesn't have the length Texas is looking for at safety - he's only 5'10".

2 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Mason Cobb would have been a perfect plug-and-play guy who would have better than DTD was last year.  That's one guy off the top of my head that we never seemed to try for.  That's the main guy I had in mind, but there have been plenty of other guys at least as good as DTD was last year and we haven't made a run at any of them.  I love Anthony Hill, I think our 2023 LB class is fantastic, but I am not remotely interested in placing faith in true freshmen to take over starting roles.

Allegedly recruited into the portal by aggy and then ended up at USC.  Doesn't seem like Texas is interested in getting into bidding wars at this point.

10 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

The Stanford team captain linebacker transfer. There has been a handful of linebackers in the portal we should have absolutely gone after. Our depth at that position is dog shit. Why is it we’re the only team that has to tread lightly with HS recruits, portal, and retention?

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why is it we’re the only team that has to tread lightly with HS recruits, portal, and retention?

We're not. We're just the team you pay attention to. Every coach has to find their own balance between the three components of roster composition, from a transfer-loving Lincoln Riley on one side to a build-from-high-school Dabo Swinney on the other.

Unrelated to the above, another aggy found a home

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That may be true - but why the hell would anyone take his word for it?

There are roughly 400 5 & 4 star players in a class - you're saying half of them reached out to Deion in 12 hours?  Or even if you're talking a couple of classes 25%

Guy is a world-class self-promoter and its ridiculous to take anything he says at face value.

It wasn’t even self-promotion. The quote is from a “Big 12 collective operator”, whatever the hell that means.

Feels like a writer was just looking for a quote and found someone to say it. @immamac is technically a “Big 12 collective operator”, not sure he’d be the first person to quote for a Deion story though. 

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It wasn’t even self-promotion. The quote is from a “Big 12 collective operator”, whatever the hell that means.

Feels like a writer was just looking for a quote and found someone to say it. @immamac is technically a “Big 12 collective operator”, not sure he’d be the first person to quote for a Deion story though. 

sounds like we need Immamac to confirm it was him that shared the quote! or to share what his quote would be on all B12 topics moving forward

Edited by NoName

The Athletic has a running list of top 25 transfers currently available and the breakdown is as follows:

5 WR

4 QB

3 CB

3 RB

3 OL

2 DT

2 DE/Edge (Trace Ford and the guy from Wake Forest that just entered)

2 Safeties (Catalon and the Carter dude from Syracuse)

1 LB (Nick Jackson from Virginia)

0 TE

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

You don’t think that WR from Missouri who was first team all SEC would have beat out Casey Cain?  OK.   How about the Jihad guy from Syracuse who was a freshman all American.  You don’t think he was better than Thompson?   I don’t think you’ve looked very hard.  

Are you under that impression that Casey Cain was a starter for us? 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Allegedly recruited into the portal by aggy and then ended up at USC.  Doesn't seem like Texas is interested in getting into bidding wars at this point.

Why not?  Are we turning over the couch cushions looking for change at the athletic department?  Is our NIL game not as strong as we previously thought?  Are we approaching the portal with a Mack Brown-esque "good kids from good families" attitude where we only offer guys that "truly want" to be at Texas?

Go get the best 11 possible.  No excuses.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

Why not?  Are we turning over the couch cushions looking for change at the athletic department?  Is our NIL game not as strong as we previously thought?  Are we approaching the portal with a Mack Brown-esque "good kids from good families" attitude where we only offer guys that "truly want" to be at Texas?

really weird take. We've seen the staff be aggressive in the portal when they want to be. I/E Gavin Holmes and Isaiah Neyor. I think it most likely comes down to the staff not liking any of the other portal options. Full stop.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

It’s possible that the guys you want just aren’t the guys they want. It’s not like they haven’t demonstrated the ability to recruit or to use the portal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

I'm not saying the sky is falling, I'm just saying I wish they were more proactive about getting guys who can compete for starting spots.  We have holes at WR, LB, and Safety.  We've hosted 1 safety, no WRs, and no LBs.  I understand us not going after mid guys at Edge or OL, we've got a lot of bodies there and we'd only take a real difference-maker.  But we have no one proven to play beside Jerrin Thompson, we have no productive 3rd WR after Zay and JWhitt, and we have no one to replace Overshown and DTD's snaps at LB.  Would it be great if we could find studs for those holes?  Sure.  But I'll take steady, productive contributors even if they aren't surefire draft picks.  DTD was a great addition last year, an athletically limited but obviously experienced and talented plug-and-play guy to provide decent snaps at LB.  A guy like that at each position of need would be fantastic and those guys are available.

DTD signed in May after Spring camps.  Point being... maybe be a little patient and don't blow your whole load in the beginning. /that'swhatshesaid

• Hook 'Em 1