2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

To be fair he is a CRNA I think. That might be the absolute best paying job that has no sales or ownership hassle/risk associated with it and is a 40 hour a week type job that you don’t take home with you. Jobs like that where you can roll out of school to 200k more or less by your mid to late 20’s and be employable anywhere really are awesome. I get why he was pretty exited with his career.  

I can add some confirmation to this. My ex is an Anesthesiologist and several times said if she could have a do over she preferred being a CRNA. She said less study, work hours and professional liability. Enough pay to keep her happy and they aren’t stuck 24 hours in call room at hospital. A lot of them do locums and enjoy a great life.

• Hook 'Em 1

We have had some obvious guys hit the portal so far. 

Who else is buried on the depth chart that might pull the trigger?

Im suprised Ishmael Ibraheem hasnt gone. 

With all the trouble hes been through, im suprised hes still here regardless. 

He came in with such high expectations. And with him sticking around i was always expecting to see him pop up on the field and start realizing that potential. 

But I dont remember ever seeing him on the field. I know ive never heard him mentioned. 

I can add some confirmation to this. My ex is an Anesthesiologist and several times said if she could have a do over she preferred being a CRNA. She said less study, work hours and professional liability. Enough pay to keep her happy and they aren’t stuck 24 hours in call room at hospital. A lot of them do locums and enjoy a great life.

Yes it’s great to call yourself a doctor (DNP) when it’s convenient and then be just a nurse when shit hits the fan.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ConchoPearlNecklace said:

Yes it’s great to call yourself a doctor (DNP) when it’s convenient and then be just a nurse when shit hits the fan.

Exactly, those comments were shortly after she was sued and prior to tort reform in Mississippi with no caps on malpractice claims.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Knewk210 said:

The smart anesthesiologists end up doing interventional pain management. The female anesthesiologists aged rapidly due to sleep deprivation and the stress of dealing with shithead surgeons.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The smart anesthesiologists end up doing interventional pain management. The female anesthesiologists aged rapidly due to sleep deprivation and the stress of dealing with shithead surgeons.

My wife was at a medical center and they paid her as state employee at a low salary as professor attending residents. They somehow had a private side that billed for services ,but nowhere near the income of out in town. That was main income. So you are correct about pain management. She had a former resident ask her to join his practice in Tennessee promising millions a year. He later was busted by feds for over prescribing Narcotics!  Interesting note when she was studying for boards I first learned about fentanyl. This was 25 years ago. She said they had residents steal fentanyl patches off anesthesia cart and found one in bathroom and resuscitated him. I said guess he lost his license and is in prison? She said no he’s a doctor he was rehabilitated and practing again! 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, pacman said:

Nahlin reports Ja'Had Carter will not end up at Texas

Well, that sucks.  I thought that was the one position Texas would be aggressive looking to fill via the portal.  But it looks like they are being ultra selective about their offers to the point that if they don't get a portal safety they're ok with that.

Would love for Worthy to stay, but Sark just signed another handful of WRs his size that are hungry enough to not give up on routes when tracking an imperfect throw from our QB. Our WR room will be very competitive next season regardless of who transfers out. 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Man, I'm really hoping this mythical safety that the staff is waiting for materializes and we grab them. Thompson developed over the year, but I don't think he's looking to be an All American and we still have to replace Cook

Or are they just planning on shuffling the DBs? Have Barron at NB still but move Watts to safety. I know I've read something of the sort (but it could have been Ian fucking Boyd for all I know) about moves, and OSU fans did say he played better at safety for them. Then again I thought our pitch to him was that he could play CB, so dunno how feasible that is. Can't remember if it was something seriously being considered or more 995 bullshitting

As long as we're not relying entirely on unproven depth/young starters across the secondary we'll be fine. Just less margin of error imo since the secondary doesn't seem to be as well coached as the front 7 (wild fucking sentence I never thought I'd type before the season)

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Card and Notre Dame were serious as a pairing until ND tried to force the transfer before he was sure. That’s from someone who knows the family. @Longhorn94 can confirm or dispute for fact checking. 

I guess you could say that Card was … late in his decision-making. 

csi miami GIF

Sorry guys, I haven't had a lot of time for football stuff lately. Last I heard was that TCU was pushing hard. I was surprised by Purdue but seems like a good choice. I will see what I can find out about how it all went down after I work though this life stuff that is currently occupying most of my time.

• Hook 'Em 3

My wife was at a medical center and they paid her as state employee at a low salary as professor attending residents. They somehow had a private side that billed for services ,but nowhere near the income of out in town. That was main income. So you are correct about pain management. She had a former resident ask her to join his practice in Tennessee promising millions a year. He later was busted by feds for over prescribing Narcotics!  Interesting note when she was studying for boards I first learned about fentanyl. This was 25 years ago. She said they had residents steal fentanyl patches off anesthesia cart and found one in bathroom and resuscitated him. I said guess he lost his license and is in prison? She said no he’s a doctor he was rehabilitated and practing again! 

What do you have against the word “the?”
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

I don’t really like all this “selectiveness” regarding portal offers.  I think the staff has shown real aggression and tenacity on the recruiting trail, which is awesome.  But I’m not seeing any of that in the portal, which has much greater potential to impact the roster immediately.  Go and get the starter-quality guys who are available and if better guys become available down the road, go get them too.

If numbers become an issue, trapdoor the dead weight on the roster.  There’s still plenty of fat to trim.  We need to approach this like professional free agency, we can’t be squeamish about hurt feelings or crushed dreams.  You want to live your dream of going to Texas on a football scholarship?  Get better at football or gtfo.

14 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

I don’t really like all this “selectiveness” regarding portal offers.  I think the staff has shown real aggression and tenacity on the recruiting trail, which is awesome.  But I’m not seeing any of that in the portal, which has much greater potential to impact the roster immediately.  Go and get the starter-quality guys who are available and if better guys become available down the road, go get them too.

If numbers become an issue, trapdoor the dead weight on the roster.  There’s still plenty of fat to trim.  We need to approach this like professional free agency, we can’t be squeamish about hurt feelings or crushed dreams.  You want to live your dream of going to Texas on a football scholarship?  Get better at football or gtfo.

You think their portal approach is to protect against “hurt feelings” on the current roster?

Imagine how stupid Hudson Card is going to feel when Texas wins the national championship next year and he barely gets into the tax slayer whatever bowl where a whopping 12 people will be in attendance. 

It's almost as stupid as Tom Brady getting divorced from Giselle so he could not go to the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

we have no idea how selective they are being, typically portal players are not sharing offers on twitter like high school recruits. come on man.

There is honestly just not that much talent in the portal.  People keep hyping it up like the best players from middling P5 teams are gonna be available (the Dante Stills and Evan Stewarts).  It's just not happening.

I don't think I've seen anyone enter the portal that would have started for us last year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine how stupid Hudson Card is going to feel when Texas wins the national championship next year and he barely gets into the tax slayer whatever bowl where a whopping 12 people will be in attendance. 

It's almost as stupid as Tom Brady getting divorced from Giselle so he could not go to the playoffs. 

If he gets to start in the Gator Bowl, versus riding pine in the Playoff, he'll probably take the Gator Bowl.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, immamac said:

WTF are you even talking about, and why so salty?  Geez, the guy wants to play, what an asshole!  Purdue isn't world beater but they are Power 2 conference team and he will probably start there.  They've knocked off some big boys over the past few years and I can't blame him for making the move when his other option is to be the 2nd or maybe even 3rd stringer at Texas depending on how MM pans out.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I don't think I've seen anyone enter the portal that would have started for us last year.

You don’t think that WR from Missouri who was first team all SEC would have beat out Casey Cain?  OK.   How about the Jihad guy from Syracuse who was a freshman all American.  You don’t think he was better than Thompson?   I don’t think you’ve looked very hard.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, JBJ said:

There is honestly just not that much talent in the portal.  People keep hyping it up like the best players from middling P5 teams are gonna be available (the Dante Stills and Evan Stewarts).  It's just not happening.

I definitely feel like there hasn't been as many players entering with proven consistent production at the P5 or G5 level as last year. Obviously still several weeks to go and then the spring period.

There has been good players enter who would start here, but not at the volume I expected.

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

We already upgraded 2 positions and hosted a guy that would upgrade a third (Carter, though based on the update wording we got Buckeyed). Bowls haven't happened yet. Chill.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1