2023 Transfer Thread - Texas Capitalized, ATM Victimized

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The teammates who voted for him to not rejoin the team his senior year?

Well it’s a long story, but that whole narrative is bullshit. I won’t go into more details but the players wanted him back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Adari Haulcy would have raised the floor of the Safety room.  Instead we'll trot out a fucking freshman or convert a DB to Safety and watch him look completely fucking lost.

But, no worries, that next wave of uber-talented portal entrants is going to happen any day now.

I mean, if the choice is Haulcy or Jalen Catalon there isn’t even a discussion to be had.

Probably a reason Haulcy is headed to Houston. He’s also almost 225 pounds which is ginormous for a safety.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, b_p said:

Well it’s a long story, but that whole narrative is bullshit. I won’t go into more details but the players wanted him back. 

Got it. It does seem like there have been red flags with Blue for a while. Whether it’s now or next year, it seems inevitable he’s leaving. He was never waiting his turn as the 3rd string RB.

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I mean, if the choice is Haulcy or Jalen Catalon there isn’t even a discussion to be had.

Probably a reason Haulcy is headed to Houston. He’s also almost 225 pounds which is ginormous for a safety.

I'm a huge Catalon fan and I hope Texas can sign him - but Haulcy would have been a great pickup wherever they played him.  Yeah - he's a biscuit away from being a LB - but that's fine he can play in the box and we keep Thompson at FS.  With Catalon's injury history we really shouldn't count on him - we should be looking at anything he can give as a bonus.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm a huge Catalon fan and I hope Texas can sign him - but Haulcy would have been a great pickup wherever they played him.  Yeah - he's a biscuit away from being a LB - but that's fine he can play in the box and we keep Thompson at FS.  With Catalon's injury history we really shouldn't count on him - we should be looking at anything he can give as a bonus.

Or stay with me here, maybe we should bring in guys that actually fit the defense. Shit you guys bitch all the time about fitting the players to the scheme, why bring in a kid that doesn't fit what you want the safeties to do in your defense. You really don't have that choice with the players you are left with, but you do have that choice with the players you recruit, especially in the portal. We have already brought in 12 portal kids in the 1st 2 years, and 3 have been consistent better than average starters. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

If this LSU football players + staff orgy is true (see the Football Board) and their WR corch Cortez Hankton (has been identified as a member of the orgy) is out, can Texas raid their roster for WRs? Kyle Parker anyone?

Wonderful, we're choosing to believe a sub 1k follower tweet from a rival fanbase. It seriously baffles me as to how you people find these posts in the first place.

If this LSU football players + staff orgy is true (see the Football Board) and their WR corch Cortez Hankton (has been identified as a member of the orgy) is out, can Texas raid their roster for WRs? Kyle Parker anyone?

giphy.gif

2023 getting weird out the gate
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Wonderful, we're choosing to believe a sub 1k follower tweet from a rival fanbase. It seriously baffles me as to how you people find these posts in the first place.

The state of Louisiana is involved. Anything is possible - as long as it's sleazy, corrupt, or completely insane 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Or stay with me here, maybe we should bring in guys that actually fit the defense. Shit you guys bitch all the time about fitting the players to the scheme, why bring in a kid that doesn't fit what you want the safeties to do in your defense. You really don't have that choice with the players you are left with, but you do have that choice with the players you recruit, especially in the portal. We have already brought in 12 portal kids in the 1st 2 years, and 3 have been consistent better than average starters. 

Yeah I agree lets rely on walk on turned scholarship player and Crawfod.

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah I agree lets rely on walk on turned scholarship player and Crawfod.

The Crawford experiment made total sense. Texas secondary is slow, especially at Safety. There is no playmaking back there. 1 interception on the year from the Safety position can attest to that. It just didn’t click for Crawford mentally. Catalon would be a massive upgrade. That guy makes plays.   The staff needs to find ways to add athleticism to that secondary 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The Crawford experiment made total sense. Texas secondary is slow, especially at Safety. There is no playmaking back there. 1 interception on the year from the Safety position can attest to that. It just didn’t click for Crawford mentally. Catalon would be a massive upgrade. That guy makes plays.   The staff needs to find ways to add athleticism to that secondary 

I agree he would, if healthy. 

13 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

@HtownHorn is correct. If Haulcy is big enough to play LB, he sounds like a terrible fit for UT's base Quarters coverage.

Y'all do realize in Quarters coverage that the Safetys have to be athletic enough to hold their own in man coverage versus slot WRs when they run vertical routes. Which is why both Anthony Cook & Kitan Crawford were probably moved to Safety last Spring.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

Bobby (IT) out with a report on the portal this morning.

If a 'big name' pass rusher enters Texas will compete but otherwise don't expect an addition at ED/Edge/edge

I'm good with this.  Let's roll with and develop guys like Tapp, Burke, Finkley.  Doesn't seem like any good EDGE players have entered the portal anyways.

Jalen Catalon and OSU Safety Thomas Harper are two safeties Texas currently has an eye on

Texas still looking to take 1-2 WR's from the portal.  Texas 'dipped their toes in' on Singer and Armstrong but both WRs committed before Texas fully engaged.  Bobby writes "I believe this week should be somewhat revealing on the receiver front."

No OL or LB expected from portal

If a 'big name' pass rusher enters Texas will compete but otherwise don't expect an addition at ED/Edge/edge

Lmao at the LB part. We’re so fucked if ford goes down and LOL at that receiver note as well. Thought we were supposed to be prepared this year?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

@HtownHorn is correct. If Haulcy is big enough to play LB, he sounds like a terrible fit for UT's base Quarters coverage.

Y'all do realize in Quarters coverage that the Safetys have to be athletic enough to hold their own in man coverage versus slot WRs when they run vertical routes.

Adari Haulcy was top 20 in the country among Safetys in coverage last year on PFF.  He regularly played Slot Corner in Rocky Long's 3-3-5 defense as part of his Rover duties. 

PK had no problem using 225lb George Iloka at Safety at Boise - and Taylor Rapp while only 210 was a slower more physical safety that excelled in PK's defense. 

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'm good with this.  Let's roll with and develop guys like Tapp, Burke, Finkley.  Doesn't seem like any good EDGE players have entered the portal anyways.

The only one that did ended up at OU.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

I just do not understand the obsession with wanting Texas to sign every warm body that enters the transfer portal. We have signed some pretty impressive players in the last two classes and we should probably see what some of them look like this spring before we sign JAG/warm body MAC player. 

Dude we need all the fucking help we can get at linebacker so we're not relying on Jett Bush or true freshmen.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Adari Haulcy was top 20 in the country among Safetys in coverage last year on PFF.  He regularly played Slot Corner in Rocky Long's 3-3-5 defense as part of his Rover duties. 

PK had no problem using 225lb George Iloka at Safety at Boise - and Taylor Rapp while only 210 was a slower more physical safety that excelled in PK's defense. 

Yeah not going after Haulcy was beyond stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I personally believe Bledsoe will be the best pass rusher out of that class. We definitely need to hit on two from that class. I really like Finkley but I don’t think he will a huge sack guy coming off the edge. 

20 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Like how you dropped Rocky Long's name. Probably one of my favorite coaches in all football. 

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And rushing out to sign another Devin Richardson or DTD to provide you with false depth isn’t going to help. If you want that immediate gratification from signing a Tariq Milton, great. But until a realistic upgrade becomes available we should probably be developing the Johnson’s and Blackwell’s on our roster at linebacker this spring. 

There were about 4-6 linebackers in the portal, with 3-4 of them being p5 starters that entered.

Relying on a spin down project, freshmen, and Jett Bush is laughable.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Why would any player worth his salt want to transfer here just to be a backup or situational player? Odds are that the kind of player that is willing to come play here in that situation is probably on the same level of talent as Bush or whoever else we already have backing them up. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, theBigHen said:

Why would any player worth his salt want to transfer here just to be a backup or situational player? Odds are that the kind of player that is willing to come play here in that situation is probably on the same level of talent as Bush or whoever else we already have backing them up. 

Most of the people on this site wanted Choate to be fired after his 1st season. They are just fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

Last I checked DMO's spot is wide open for competition.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Jalen Catalon and OSU Safety Thomas Harper are two safeties Texas currently has an eye on

Texas still looking to take 1-2 WR's from the portal.  Texas 'dipped their toes in' on Singer and Armstrong but both WRs committed before Texas fully engaged.  Bobby writes "I believe this week should be somewhat revealing on the receiver front."

No OL or LB expected from portal

No LB or edge seems dumb. LB is literally Ford (if he returns) and a true Freshman Hill. Then I guess Blackwell, Gbenda and Jett Bush?

One edge spot is fine with Sorrell/Finkley but the other is a mess.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

No LB or edge seems dumb. LB is literally Ford (if he returns) and a true Freshman Hill. Then I guess Blackwell, Gbenda and Jett Bush?

One edge spot is fine with Sorrell/Finkley but the other is a mess.

Hill, Burrell are coming in this week as EEs.. I'm sure if the signs point that they are going to NEED another LB body.. they will grab someone with experience once the portal re opens in the spring

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Thiefery said:

Hill, Burrell are coming in this week as EEs.. I'm sure if the signs point that they are going to NEED another LB body.. they will grab someone with experience once the portal re opens in the spring

I don't think Burrell is an EE unless something changed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't think Burrell is an EE unless something changed.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Smaje changed his mind again? Last I heard he wasn't going EE anymore.

my mistake.. i was under the impression he was also EE.. trying to google it now :( 

43 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Y'all do realize in Quarters coverage that the Safetys have to be athletic enough to hold their own in man coverage versus slot WRs when they run vertical routes. Which is why both Anthony Cook & Kitan Crawford were probably moved to Safety last Spring.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Uhhh... Cover 3 Match, not Quarters, was the base coverage of PK's defenses before he was hired at UT (Sark hiring Terry Joesph & Blake Gideon as the DB coaches before PK was hired as DC is why UT runs different base coverages than what PK did at UW & Boise St. They doubled down on it (& fixed the issues) by bringing in Gary Patterson the next year).

In Cover 3 Match, the Safeties are playing regular cover 3 zone coverage while the outside CBs, Nickel DB, & Dime DB are in pattern-matching coverage. In Quarters, the Outside CBs & Safeties are in pattern-matching coverage, while the Nickel & Dime DBs play regular underneath coverage. So PK's Safeties at UW & Boise St. didn't have the same responsibilities as his Safeties at UT.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

So for the spring at LB right now as it stands:

Ford (Mike), Blackwell (Will), Gbenda (Mike or Will), Hill (Will), Lefau (Mike), Bush (Mike), Gullette (Will? He’ll be rehabbing) and Trevell Johnson (idk)

Then add Burrell (Mike) in the summer and potentially McDonald (not sure if he’d be a Mike or Will).

A whole board, full of threads, where Texas fans cream their panties for recruits, except this one thread where they shit on those same recruits.

Y'all trying to build a roster like you are playing a video game. Everybody wants to come here and everybody is better than what we have already.

spacer.png

• Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, b_p said:

Why not?

If you're going to pass along a bullshit rumor in reference to a bullshit rumor, you might as well spill the bullshit, or else we'll think you're just bullshitting us.

• Hook 'Em 3