Old Fashioned Hamburger Stands

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/25/2023 at 1:54 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

What do you expect from a beer joint in the middle of no where milam county? The most exotic thing they probably have is dos or corona. 

Although there is a place that recently opened called East Bell Taphouse that has a decent selection in Rockdale now. If you’re in the area it’s worth stopping to get a bite to eat. Order some pepper puppies and thank me later. 

Had a great time at East Bell Taphouse today, manager there used to be a bartender at Texas Beer Co. in Taylor, hired my band to play a "polka brunch" today.  Not a big crowd, but very appreciative, and the first one they've had, we'll be back at some point.  Had an open tab for the band, was a little worried at the end, ala the Blues Brothers at the Country Bunker...  We definitely equaled our pay with the bar tab.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

BIL was in for a visit and wanted a burger for dinner one night(to my surprise). We took him to a local place we like that used to do exotic meats like Camel, Kangaroo, Python, they had discontinued those before  our first visit there.  The burgers themselves are good but these were just a mess to eat and I don’t remember it being like that on prior visit… 

IMG_8489.thumb.jpeg.635425002f46d4240915ad7d16fa5b88.jpeg

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How do y'all feel about burgers that use doughnuts for the bun?  Maybe with a burger patty, a pork chop, a buffalo chicken tender, bacon, and tater tots?  Super edgy and hip?  I think so.  Big fan.

Not for me.  Then again, I'm trying to squeeze out a few extra years.

That picture further up of Dan's... need to grab one but if Briscuits is open when I head over there, Dan's doesn't stand a chance.

I’ve had sliders on a griddled split Krispy Kreme donut. It just fell apart. I’ve also had it one on a larger grocery store bakery donut. Wasn’t a fan. What I really don’t like in current burger fads is the brioche bun. Brioche makes great French toast or bread pudding. Sucks as a burger bun. Give me a fucking Mrs Bairds sesame seed bun. It’s Gods preferred burger bun.

I’m thinking an Apple fritter might be adapted into sandwich service of some type.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

How do y'all feel about burgers that use doughnuts for the bun?  Maybe with a burger patty, a pork chop, a buffalo chicken tender, bacon, and tater tots?  Super edgy and hip?  I think so.  Big fan.

If you take a day old glazed donut, cut it in half, butter it and put it under the broiler for just a bit before using it as the bun, I'm in. 

4 hours ago, Underdog said:

BIL was in for a visit and wanted a burger for dinner one night(to my surprise). We took him to a local place we like that used to do exotic meats like Camel, Kangaroo, Python, they had discontinued those before  our first visit there.  The burgers themselves are good but these were just a mess to eat and I don’t remember it being like that on prior visit… 

IMG_8489.thumb.jpeg.635425002f46d4240915ad7d16fa5b88.jpeg

Where?

Brioche sucks ass for any kind of burger. It’s crumbly and usually falls apart a quarter way into it. And it’s sweet. Just use pound cake or two slices of Texas sheet cake if that’s what you want.

What about leftover taco meat and Mac n cheese with two day old sliced brisket on a brioche bun? Asking for a friend.
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

My opinion should have no bearing on what you eat. That sounds like a great sandwich with the exception of the Mac, which I don’t like on any burger or sandwich. my issue would be with brioche maintaining structural integrity.

One of my favorite local burger places structures their burgers in such a way that the bottom bun (not brioche) is not going to hold up until the last bite.  So when I eat there or see another burger with a bun that doesn't look like it's going to hold up for whatever reason, my solution as been to place the burger upside-down between bites.

Ideally, a layer of a combination of shredded cheddar and shredded lettuce (with, gasp, a bit of mayo) on the bottom bun where the heat of the patty makes a nice, melty barrier is the best structural solution I've found. 

On 10/24/2023 at 9:12 AM, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve had sliders on a griddled split Krispy Kreme donut. It just fell apart. I’ve also had it one on a larger grocery store bakery donut. Wasn’t a fan. What I really don’t like in current burger fads is the brioche bun. Brioche makes great French toast or bread pudding. Sucks as a burger bun. Give me a fucking Mrs Bairds sesame seed bun. It’s Gods preferred burger bun.

I’m thinking an Apple fritter might be adapted into sandwich service of some type.

I'm the opposite.  Most buns are way too bready.  Brioche works well.  

I'm the opposite.  Most buns are way too bready.  Brioche works well.  

We know folks like you. Sugar in the bbq sauce kind of folks. Even the French don’t eat a fucking hamburger with fucking brioche. No one knew what brioche was a couple years ago. Now WalMart has a all kinds of brioche shit. Brioche flavored shave cream next to the pumpkin spice.

19 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

We know folks like you. Sugar in the bbq sauce kind of folks. Even the French don’t eat a fucking hamburger with fucking brioche. No one knew what brioche was a couple years ago. Now WalMart has a all kinds of brioche shit. Brioche flavored shave cream next to the pumpkin spice.

1. I bet your bbq sauce (without sugar) sucks
  2. The French eat burgers with a knife and fork so maybe leave them out of the bun conversation
  3. What?
  4. Dove bar soap > any shaving cream

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I see you are a WalMart guy.  Good for you.  

• Haha 1