Old Fashioned Hamburger Stands

On 10/29/2022 at 11:46 AM, Underdog said:

Wife and I did a day trip down to NJ, there’s a Container Store in Paramus she likes to hit up, anyway we stopped by Steve’s Burger nearby in Garfield, NJ.  It was pretty good, not better than Wingfields or even Dan’s imo… 

1B092554-6A7E-4B93-8ECB-CBBB2CEF5262.thumb.jpeg.2dc8494eabaf6546ab66bfa8df499f2b.jpeg

647C1B23-141E-437E-8CE7-DDE43110D78F.thumb.jpeg.7aa53167a3c3afaaa3e5456713b64308.jpeg

Man that looks really good. I would not have guessed something like that being in Garfield, but that’s cool and thank you for sharing that. Overall I find that there are a lot of places to get pretty good burgers up in this area. I honestly think that in NYC you will find better burger places than pizza.

My last trip to Garfield was December 2021 and it ended with a trip to the emergency room, stitches on two fingers to partially bring together the skin that was left on the knuckles of my ring and middle finger. The middle finger on my left hand is still bent down more than a year later. Perhaps I should have just gone to Steve’s and skipped the grocery shopping that day!

I have not had Wingfield’s in a long time, but gosh it was really good. Those bacon grease fries had great flavor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not a hamburger stand but Lankford's is opening a new location on Bissonnet just east of the now defunct and sorely missed Bellaire Broiler Burger. The new Lankford's is in the spot of the old Brisket BBQ joint (which was beyond turble yet never discouraged a friend of mine wanting to eat there every time we met for lunch).

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Not a hamburger stand but Lankford's is opening a new location on Bissonnet just east of the now defunct and sorely missed Bellaire Broiler Burger. The new Lankford's is in the spot of the old Brisket BBQ joint (which was beyond turble yet never discouraged a friend of mine wanting to eat there every time we met for lunch).

Man....I remember eating at BBB 30+ years ago.  Solid stuff.  Top Notch in Austin has a semi-similar taste and vibe (the open grill burger thing).

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, EE2B said:

If you are ever in Linden, Tx (not sure why you would want to be), but the County Seat Cafe has a damn good hamburger and onion rings. 

C2844030-4C62-4301-A46C-38F5DE026F3B.jpeg

Definitely noted for the time I ever might have to drive to Texarkana again.

Also, I'm reminded that I need to make a point of going to Stanley's Pit BBQ in Tyler on a Thursday so I can try the burger.  My kid who works there had mentioned it to me several times and Thursdays just aren't burger days for me for some reason.

image_0.jpeg?v=1672945661

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:13 PM, dcbc said:

Definitely noted for the time I ever might have to drive to Texarkana again.

Also, I'm reminded that I need to make a point of going to Stanley's Pit BBQ in Tyler on a Thursday so I can try the burger.  My kid who works there had mentioned it to me several times and Thursdays just aren't burger days for me for some reason.

image_0.jpeg?v=1672945661

Damn. I miss Stanley’s. My wife’s grandmother to whom we were both really close, lived in Jacksonville . We’d hit up Stanley’s every time we’d visit her.

RIP, Jane. ❤️🥲

Thanks for the heads-up on the burger!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:40 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

https://m.yelp.com/biz/schroeders-place-thorndale

They serve burgers with chips and a drink of your choice. 

Was halfway to the Oscar Store last night when the wife says, "I heard Schroeder's in Thorndale has good burgers..."  Now you tell me this?  Would have taken half the time to get there.  Oh well, for another day.  Still had a damn fine burger.

333039247_917568983000908_8408884585143435008_n.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

Was halfway to the Oscar Store last night when the wife says, "I heard Schroeder's in Thorndale has good burgers..."  Now you tell me this?  Would have taken half the time to get there.  Oh well, for another day.  Still had a damn fine burger.

Oscar Store is pretty cool place. I think somewhere around there or maybe it’s going the other way is a Mennonite store that sells really damn good sandwiches. 

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oscar Store is pretty cool place. I think somewhere around there or maybe it’s going the other way is a Mennonite store that sells really damn good sandwiches. 

I think that is Miller's up in Lott.  Was always kind of astounded, whenever my polka band would play up at Seaton Star Hall a family of Mennonites would always come out.

11 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

I think that is Miller's up in Lott.  Was always kind of astounded, whenever my polka band would play up at Seaton Star Hall a family of Mennonites would always come out.

I think you're right....

What parts you from if going through Thorndale would have been quicker for you?

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think you're right....

What parts you from if going through Thorndale would have been quicker for you?

I live in Taylor.  40 minutes vs 15...  Not that I mind driving, almost went to the Roadhouse in Paige, which is a good 35 minutes away, they have great burgers (the one in Bastrop also...)

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

I live in Taylor.  40 minutes vs 15...  Not that I mind driving, almost went to the Roadhouse in Paige, which is a good 35 minutes away, they have great burgers (the one in Bastrop also...)

Gotcha! I'm originally from Rockdale so that's the only reason I know about some of these places.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Nope, apparently just bitch beer and near beer

What do you expect from a beer joint in the middle of no where milam county? The most exotic thing they probably have is dos or corona. 

Although there is a place that recently opened called East Bell Taphouse that has a decent selection in Rockdale now. If you’re in the area it’s worth stopping to get a bite to eat. Order some pepper puppies and thank me later. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:57 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.e61f53fedc07dcc6fa1bafafd4611688.png

These are at a beer joint between rockdale and Cameron area called the oak club. Middle of no where 

I love the irony of both plates being carb loaded as fuck, but enjoying the low carb beverage. It's like the old adage of the fat woman ordering a super-sized value meal and the diet coke. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 2:31 PM, UTCzech III said:

Oscar store burgers, fries, CFS are great. But their water is terrible if you need a drink with ice.

On 3/11/2023 at 11:17 AM, tx 3 putt said:

2nd Saturday in my hood = white people come and over pay for plants and other stuff

BUT……..Champ Burger opens up on 2nd Saturday, and I went all in. Single meat, I can’t finish the double meat. Didn’t finish the single meat either. Cheese fries were tasty 

B94225A8-5BB8-4619-9C10-A2D00C79259C.jpeg

00A2EDF0-9F0A-43E4-A50B-16AD8C9CEEC8.jpeg

0EA3826F-3453-42C2-AE85-DB3C865CDFD2.jpeg

@UTPhil2006

I see a "single meat" and a "double meat" in the first photo.  I prefer the single and I would eat it all.