[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

The one door thing has always been ridiculous to me for tactical reasons.  I remember an incident in the 90s, I think in Arkansas, where a kid set up outside a door of a school with a rifle while another kid pulled the fire alarm.  Kid with the rifle then started picking off teachers and kids as they filed out in response to the fire alarm.  It was shockingly effective at a school with multiple doors.  Reduce that to only one or two exits and you have made very effective kill holes.  Insane, but that's the way a lot of folks roll.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

The one door thing has always been ridiculous to me for tactical reasons.  I remember an incident in the 90s, I think in Arkansas, where a kid set up outside a door of a school with a rifle while another kid pulled the fire alarm.  Kid with the rifle then started picking off teachers and kids as they filed out in response to the fire alarm.  It was shockingly effective at a school with multiple doors.  Reduce that to only one or two exits and you have made very effective kill holes.  Insane, but that's the way a lot of folks roll.

Yeah, there's much about Uvalde that sickens me.  But when elected officials, no CR, started seriously discussing reducing every school building to a single point of ingress/egress, I really became convinced we were in the end times of reason and entering into a dark age of stupidity.  

And I asked a State Rep. about this and she said that once inside, the kids would be safer without other entry points for a potential shooter.  And I asked, "But what about before and after school when children enter and exit single file through that door, when they're no longer protected by the building itself."  If you could have seen the look on her face.  I'd like to think she helped spread the word how fucking moronic that idea was because we don't hear a peep about it during session anymore.  Though I'm sure some of our resident moron posters still consider it viable.  

Seriously, second amendment aside...how do some of you fucking idiots function in society with ideas like this?  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

all they care about is that they live.  that's what started this whole thing.

1) the cops wouldn't make entry, even though many were carrying the same/superior firepower

2) numerous parents were willing to go in there, armed only with their damned bare hands

3) the cops took more action against those parents than they did the shooter, at least until the "cavalry" of USCBP arrived

Those three facts should enrage every living human.  But they won't move the needle.  At all.  The only solution offered will be "MORE GUNS MORE MORE MORE" even though we have actual, real-world proof that "more guns" didn't solve shit.  They outgunned the shooter 100 to 1....and it didn't matter.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

all they care about is that they live.  that's what started this whole thing.

That’s it.  They signed up for a job where you might need to lay your life on the line, with full intention of never considering it.  I can’t fathom how they sleep at night.  I’m with Lobo, I don’t know how a half dozen haven’t suck started a shotgun yet. 

• Rage+1 1

Yeah, there's much about Uvalde that sickens me.  But when elected officials, no CR, started seriously discussing reducing every school building to a single point of ingress/egress, I really became convinced we were in the end times of reason and entering into a dark age of stupidity.  
And I asked a State Rep. about this and she said that once inside, the kids would be safer without other entry points for a potential shooter.  And I asked, "But what about before and after school when children enter and exit single file through that door, when they're no longer protected by the building itself."  If you could have seen the look on her face.  I'd like to think she helped spread the word how fucking moronic that idea was because we don't hear a peep about it during session anymore.  Though I'm sure some of our resident moron posters still consider it viable.  
Seriously, second amendment aside...how do some of you fucking idiots function in society with ideas like this?  

Ask your local fire men what they think of limiting access points.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Ask your local fire men what they think of limiting access points.

Seriously. A ton of the ideas flung around were literally illegal from a fire code perspective. You can’t legally build buildings, much less a school the way some of those ideas were proposed. 

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s it.  They signed up for a job where you might need to lay your life on the line, with full intention of never considering it.  I can’t fathom how they sleep at night.  I’m with Lobo, I don’t know how a half dozen haven’t suck started a shotgun yet. 

No. They signed up for a job where they fucking DREAMED of going in Seal Team 6 style, popping the bad guys, saving the children, having a ticket-tape parade in their honor, and shaking the President's (well, some years) hand. A lot of them fantasize about the exact scenario that unfolded. But, when push comes to shove, deep down they fundamentally realize that they're just another barely-trained coward with a gun playing dress-up.

None of them have killed themselves because that would be acknowledging that they--and their fellow boys in blue--were wrong and cowards. Does that sound like something your average cop would admit to?

You would think a big part "backing the blue" would be keeping guns that cops are apparently terrified of out of the hands of an 18 year old. Though, they probably would have found an excuse not to go in for anything larger than a .22

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

No. They signed up for a job where they fucking DREAMED of going in Seal Team 6 style, popping the bad guys, saving the children, having a ticket-tape parade in their honor, and shaking the President's (well, some years) hand. A lot of them fantasize about the exact scenario that unfolded. But, when push comes to shove, deep down they fundamentally realize that they're just another barely-trained coward with a gun playing dress-up.

None of them have killed themselves because that would be acknowledging that they--and their fellow boys in blue--were wrong and cowards. Does that sound like something your average cop would admit to?

You would think a big part "backing the blue" would be keeping guns that cops are apparently terrified of out of the hands of an 18 year old. Though, they probably would have found an excuse not to go in for anything larger than a .22

I don’t think those are conflicting ideas, except your second paragraph.  There’s no doubt in my mind the individuals that sat outside know they cowardly.  How they’ve justified it is the mystery.  The saddest part of it all, I would be probably >50% of just regular, everyday people would lay their lives down if it meant saving those kids.  

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

And most of those pussies couldn't join the military

• 2 months later...

My daughter got her yearbook today at dropoff so the parents could take it home (so it wouldn't get messy or spilled on or whatever).  I guess they take them back on Friday for signatures.  Today is 1 year of Uvalde.  And I flipped through it real quick just to find pics of her with her friends and what not.  The elementary school class photo looks like those of 100 other school shootings.  Couldn't tell if I was looking at her school yearbook or a CNN screenshot of what's probably still to come later this month.  But for her smiling face and our surname underneath, I'm completely numb to it now.  I guess that's the point.  

1 year later and all we did was encourage more of it.  

• Rage+1 1

The modern shooter is less mentally disturbed schizo and more politically motivated terrorist, so they are better abled to plan and execute. So, you have high school kid be able to carry out attacks after being on the inside for years. It can circumvent some safety plans.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Last day of school for most of Texas public schools.  It is absolutely incomprehensible to me that not a single officer from that incident has not taken their own life.  It defies every single thing we know about PTSD and clinical depression and drug abuse. 

Uvalde will take decades and tens of millions of dollars to unpack.  Most of Texas is done with Uvalde, but Uvalde is not anywhere near close to being finished with Us.  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Shooter’s cousin arrested for allegedly threatening to kill a family member and commit a mass shooting at a San Antonio elementary school.

https://www.ksat.com/news/ksat-investigates/2023/08/07/sapd-cousin-of-uvalde-mass-shooter-accused-of-threatening-to-shoot-up-school-family-member/

I mean, makes perfect sense in this timeline.  Let's make mass slaughter of children a family tradition.  Sure.  That checks out.

I fucking hate this planet.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, makes perfect sense in this timeline.  Let's make mass slaughter of children a family tradition.  Sure.  That checks out.

I fucking hate this planet.

Whole family is disgusting trash. These circulated a while back. 

0-FACB04-C-79-D2-4-DB7-9512-E5-AC780-F0-

B3-CCCF4-F-0-DCC-4756-96-F1-EFC8-CD31068

• 4 weeks later...

https://apnews.com/article/texas-austin-law-enforcement-education-86d2d0a42c797c55bbdd43a14906ba57

AP: Texas state police won’t punish more officers over Uvalde

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas state police will not discipline any more of its officers over the Uvalde school shooting that left 19 children and two teachers dead as heavily armed agents hesitated to confront the lone gunman, a spokesperson confirmed Friday.

The decision is a turning point nearly nine months after one of the worst school attacks in U.S. history, and the widespread outrage over the officers who allowed more than 70 minutes to go by before stopping the massacre.

It also raises new questions about how many of the nearly 400 law enforcement personnel who were at Robb Elementary School last May might face discipline. They came from a constellation of agencies in South Texas, including the Texas Department of Public Safety, U.S. Border Patrol and local police. Two DPS officers have been fired, and one of them is appealing his termination.

In total, five officers in Texas who were on the scene that day are known to have either been fired or resigned.

State police had 91 officers on the scene, more than any other law enforcement agency. Travis Considine, a spokesman for the department, confirmed Friday that four of seven officers placed under internal review after the shooting were cleared of wrongdoing. DPS Director Steve McCraw told The Dallas Morning News on Thursday that no others would face discipline.

“Just the two,” McCraw said.

Officers on the scene waited more than 70 minutes before a team finally breached a fourth-grade classroom and confronted the 18-year-old gunman, who had been armed with an AR-15 style rifle and fired more than 140 rounds inside the school, according to an investigative report by Texas lawmakers.

Body camera video, school surveillance footage and witness accounts have since laid bare the lengthy inaction by police and how no officers rushed to stop the attack. McCraw has called the response an “abject failure.”

The first DPS officer was fired in October. Another of the seven resigned before the review was finished, then joined the Uvalde school district as a campus police officer. She was fired less than 24 hours after outraged parents in Uvalde found out about her hiring.

Uvalde’s school police chief at the the time of the attack was fired in August and the city’s acting police chief that day later stepped down.

Several parents of the victims have demanded for months that McCraw resign. Republican Rep. Tony Gonzales, whose district includes Uvalde, has also said McCraw should go. But the longtime DPS director reiterated to reporters Thursday that he planned to stay on the job.

• Rage+1 1

It truly is incredible how our state sent nearly twice as many officers as there were defenders at the Alamo, and yet they couldn't bring themselves to face a single fucking gunman.

And even more incredible yet that nobody of authority in our state thinks that deserves reconsideration or punishment for negligence.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 5

• 3 months later...

How many good guys with a gun does it take to change a Uvalde lightbulb?  

All due to respect to law enforcement (I had an uncle and cousin on the force)...I think if one of them is inspired to take their own life...because nobody wants to be first to show weakness...a bunch more will follow.  

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

How many good guys with a gun does it take to change a Uvalde lightbulb?  

All due to respect to law enforcement (I had an uncle and cousin on the force)...I think if one of them is inspired to take their own life...because nobody wants to be first to show weakness...a bunch more will follow.  

Fuck that. That would be the easy way out. I want them to come out and publicly admit that they were scared shitless and frozen behind cover because of the shooter's "battle rifle" as they called it. They knew that every gunshot that they heard was another kid dying, and they did nothing. If they want a chance to represent anything meaningful, take a stand about how ridiculous it is as a society to sell guns that terrify police to any 18 year old who can fog a mirror.

Then I want to watch how quickly the police union and politicians turn on them for stating the obvious.

“You knew that it was definitely an AR. There was no way of going in. … We had no choice but to wait and try to get something that had better coverage where we could actually stand up to him.”

— Uvalde Police Department Sgt. Donald Page

“We weren’t equipped to make entry into that room without several casualties,” Uvalde Police Department Detective Louis Landry said

• Rage+1 2

i wondered about the suicide thing too.  there were several after jan 6 for reasons i don't really understand.  and then we had 0 suicides here, in the case where i would be tempted to do it myself.  these guys let little kids die while they stood by with the tools to make it stop.

i can't imagine the mindset of 'there's a school shooter here. he probably decided to go to where there wasn't anyone to shoot' being real.  i wonder if the message was just passed around to everyone after the fact telling them this should be the front line of their legal defense.

• Like 2

^

this.  They're all still towing the line for political and legal purposes.  But somebody is going to crack, and understandably so.  This charade can't go on forever.  And once the first domino falls, a dozen more will go afterwards...fast.  They'd be easy enough to wind up but for the fact that one of 'em may take out a spouse or child in the fog with them.  And that, we can't abide.  But this would be the easiest assisted suicide in human history if not for the collateral damage.  At least in the old days, real men had the stones to do it quietly in the forest alone.  

It's just an absolute insult on top of injury to claim, "We didn't hear any kids" at this stage of the aftermath.  

Yeah, how could one reasonably expect there to be kids inside a school, in the middle of a schoolday?  We're not Nostradamus over here!  

It's beyond offensive to claim that kinda shit, but as usual...Texans will lay back and take it.  

Also, if anybody thinks that the release of this new video/audio and the shooting today at a NE Austin school aren't related...you're really not going to like what happens next.  Luckily for the stupid among us, the story is already being quashed.  But it's tied.  Just as well, this site only has a year or so left in the tank...

I had forgot this happened.  I mean, I know it happened, but I don't think about it anymore except when this thread gets bumped.  How sad and unsurprising that this tragic event came and then faded from public consciousness without a damn thing being done to ensure it doesn't happen again.  Its no more difficult for a troubled young adult to get his hands on the right tools for the grim job of murdering school kids, and its no more difficult for small-town law enforcement to shrug in helplessness when confronted with an armed gunman playing GTA at an elementary school.

• Rage+1 1

it requires an incredible amount of credulity.

- that little girl called 911 while it was all going on telling them the whole time that people were shot in there.  they need help.  you have to believe that doesn't get relayed. 

- 'is it cleared?' pretty dramatically contrasts with all the parents saying 'my kid is in there. i'll go get him myself.'  you have to believe that isn't getting relayed.

- even if those messages don't get relayed, you have to believe that they actually thought 'silence' = 'cleared.'  do you really expect idle chatter from kids standing next to a shooter? 

- if you actually believed silence = cleared, why is there no evidence of that:  for instance, is it not weird that no one there at the scene is on tape saying something like 'i don't think there are kids in there'? or 'i think it is already cleared'?  

- then finally, of course, what on earth is a 'cleared' room that is locked that you can't get in to?  what clearing process do you think happened?  

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I had forgot this happened.  I mean, I know it happened, but I don't think about it anymore except when this thread gets bumped.  How sad and unsurprising that this tragic event came and then faded from public consciousness without a damn thing being done to ensure it doesn't happen again.  Its no more difficult for a troubled young adult to get his hands on the right tools for the grim job of murdering school kids, and its no more difficult for small-town law enforcement to shrug in helplessness when confronted with an armed gunman playing GTA at an elementary school.

makes me think of charles whitman.  big deal to all of us.  in all reality, it's not special: it was only a matter of being the first.  we should have forgotten about it 6 months later.

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Not that you can have a BCS/Sagarin ratings to child massacres...but think about Sandy Hook.  Everybody in every corner of America of all stripes knows exactly that means.  Most of us know when/where we were when we first learned of it.  I was in the backseat of a car ride to my sister's place in Chicago from O'Hare for a pre-holiday visit.  I can still hear the voices of the parents in my head if I think about it.  We, on here, know Uvalde because it happened pretty close by.  Sadly, many posters know families directly impacted by those horrific events.  But most of America just moved past it through no fault of their own.  But think about the fact that both were equally horrific.  Both involved about the same amount of carnage of kids roughly the same age.  Biggest difference was the response to each.  And even bigger than that is how 'Sandy Hook' is just a known term now and forever.  And 'Uvalde' or 'Robb Elementary' just doesn't stick with most of America.  And that's by design.  the greatest failure in law enforcement history has nearly been erased from the American Consciousness by design.  For another thread, but there's a mechanism by which this was achieved and to talk about it will probably get me in serious fucking trouble.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes for someone to finally open a classroom door and go, "Hey, they are kids in this here school!"

And it was only opened so the officer would have more space to comfortably lie down in his prone position on the exact opposite side of the building from the shooter.

• 1 month later...

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24366209-critical-incident-review-active-shooter-at-robb-elementary-school

DOJ published its critical incident review of the Uvalde shooting. 

TLDR: The cops fucked up and caused more children to die at the hands of a madman. Plus, DOJ also found that the repeated lying about first responders helping people only made the misery worse for the parents, and many parents whose children had been killed were first told their children were ok. Just an absolute shitshow and failure by that town to protect and serve its citizens.

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 7

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24366209-critical-incident-review-active-shooter-at-robb-elementary-school

TLDR: The cops fucked up and caused more children to die at the hands of a madman. Plus, DOJ also found that the repeated lying about first responders helping people only made the misery worse for the parents, and many parents whose children had been killed were first told their children were ok. Just an absolute shitshow and failure by that town to protect and serve its citizens.

It coulda been worse.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Rural Texas has its reasons to loathe their government that is often inept if not criminal.  I get that.  What I don't get is holding that position in your mind while driving around in a truck bedazzled with back-the-blue or thin-blue-line bumper stickers.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2

I guess Texans just didn't think long enough or pray hard enough.  

Jurisdiction, unclear orders, wires crossed.  Bullshit.  And we all fucking know it.  They didn't charge into that room for one simple reason.  And I don't blame 'em, I wouldn't go into certain death for $38,000/year either. 

We absolutely have to hold above all else, the ability of stupid people to have stupid access.  That's all that is clear from this latest round of findings which confirms previous findings which will be confirmed by future findings.  

Meantime, a lot more kids are gonna have to die because we didn't pray the shit outta this prayer...