[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

Texas Ranger is a regular in our shop. He’s been down there a ton investigating. I made a comment like “is it as fucked up as it sounds on the police side?” And his response was “many things went wrong” as he made this face that told me all I needed to know.

All we needed was one Texas Ranger down there fyi.

One.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

There are plenty of threads in the CR for your hot takes on gun control that no one has ever thought about or suggested. This thread is for news about this incident. 

Just be sure to not mention the news that an 18 year old with a history of violence was easily able to acquire several AR-15's and thousands of rounds of ammo, right? Or to not mention the news that the police at every level have been lying to the public from the jump?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just be sure to not mention the news that an 18 year old with a history of violence was easily able to acquire several AR-15's and thousands of rounds of ammo, right? Or to not mention the news that the police at every level have been lying to the public from the jump?

Correct. System working exactly as designed.

7 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That number of LEOs was probably part of the problem. Once a critical mass is there, group think plays a part in decisions and people begin to do what the others are doing for fear of being singled out. 

yeap, diffusion of responsibility.  they probably fell back on waiting for command from the top.  failure from the top, and failure from the initial responders.

400 dudes and all they needed was 1 leroy mmjenkins.

Edited by 52-80

11 hours ago, blacklab said:

Those are fine, that's news about this event.

I'm talking about people giving their opinion on gun laws as it will just turn into a debate.

Sorry if I seem hostile towards you, I get that modding surly is some bullshit, but it's just frustrating when the rules are "you can talk about the 19 children murdered by an 18 year old with an AR15, just not how to have fewer kids get killed by an 18 year old with an AR15". I get that you don't want a policy debate in DT - that's not the right place for it - but you're ceding the floor to the idea that an 18 year old (with a history of police intervention for his violent tendencies) buying a rifle with no obstacles isn't the result of decades of focused political action and is perfectly normal

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

18 year old (with a history of police intervention for his violent tendencies) buying a rifle with no obstacles isn't the result of decades of focused political action and is perfectly normal

At this point, it is perfectly normal.  

'Murica. 

34 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I’d take care in using the “400 cops” talking point that’s being circulated right now.  It’s very obviously being rolled out in the most inflammatory way possible. 

Well it took that many to hold back the parents that were trying to get in.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Video-police-parents-Uvalde-school-shooting-Texas-17200630.php

A video circulating on social media appeared to show officers stopping parents from rushing into the elementary school where a gunman's rampage left 19 children and two teachers dead at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde. 

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Sorry if I seem hostile towards you, I get that modding surly is some bullshit, but it's just frustrating when the rules are "you can talk about the 19 children murdered by an 18 year old with an AR15, just not how to have fewer kids get killed by an 18 year old with an AR15". I get that you don't want a policy debate in DT - that's not the right place for it - but you're ceding the floor to the idea that an 18 year old (with a history of police intervention for his violent tendencies) buying a rifle with no obstacles isn't the result of decades of focused political action and is perfectly normal

I'm not sure why you are being so obtuse. This thread is for news about this event. If you want to discuss the causes and political choices that have been made to allow this to happen you can discuss it in the cloak room. Tweets like yours above that are directly related to this are fine.

Someone came in and posted their opinions about gun control, about making it harder to get guns, which I am 100% in favor of, but I don't want 40 posts following it of "2nd amendment", "bear arms", "definition of militia" and other shit that is universal and not tied to this. I want to come to this thread and read about news about this event, not have to wade through the exact same shit that happens on every thread relating to a gun. If I wanted to read about that I'd find the appropriate thread in CR. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I'm not sure why you are being so obtuse. This thread is for news about this event. If you want to discuss the causes and political choices that have been made to allow this to happen you can discuss it in the cloak room. Tweets like yours above that are directly related to this are fine.
Someone came in and posted their opinions about gun control, about making it harder to get guns, which I am 100% in favor of, but I don't want 40 posts following it of "2nd amendment", "bear arms", "definition of militia" and other shit that is universal and not tied to this. I want to come to this thread and read about news about this event, not have to wade through the exact same shit that happens on every thread relating to a gun. If I wanted to read about that I'd find the appropriate thread in CR. 

I wouldnt go so far as calling him obtuse. Its not always cut and dry. But having debates on gun public policy will clearly trigger endless discussion.

But there are debates in DT threads. Here most recently on the piling on LEOs and what caused their inaction. I was called out for describing the sociology behind it. The initial hesitation and leadership gap compounded the error and led to (400 LEOs) groupthink on identifying it was a standoff and not an active shooter.

There can be a certain amount opinions and reactions shared about breaking news before it becomes redundant and ground to be covered in CR.

Opinions about improving school safety get into more gray territory. So blaming LEOs, schools, parents get into the CR territory, because the reason the US has so many random mass shootings can only be covered in the CR. And not how LEO’s, parents or schools attempt to handle random suicidal shooters with easy access to things discussed in the CR. But in DT we can cover incompetent police, low fences and unlocked doors.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Tough

tough, but fair

tenor.gif?itemid=16133406

https://www.kxan.com/stop-mass-shootings/uvalde-shooting-investigation/a-year-before-uvalde-shooting-gunman-had-threatened-women-carried-around-a-dead-cat-and-been-nicknamed-school-shooter/

A year before Uvalde shooting, gunman had threatened women, carried around a dead cat and been nicknamed ‘school shooter’

A year before the Uvalde school massacre, the gunman had already earned the nickname “school shooter” — a running joke among those he played online games with. He had also started wearing all black and making over-the-top threats, especially toward women, who he terrorized with graphic descriptions of violence and rape.

Those details are part of an interim report by the House committee investigating the incident, which points to a trail of missed signs leading to one of the worst mass shootings in Texas — one that was months in the making.

He would tell his girlfriend at the time that he wouldn’t live past 18, either because he would commit suicide or “wouldn’t live long,” the girl later told the FBI in an interview, according to the report. When she broke up with him in mid-2021, he started harassing her and her friends, the girl told officials.

Online, the report authors said, he started to show an interest in gore and violent sex, sometimes sharing videos and images of suicides and beheadings. He became enraged and threatened others, especially female players, when he lost games

Privately, he wrote about his challenges connecting with others or feeling empathy for them, saying he was “not human.” His search history, the authors of the report wrote, suggest he was wondering whether he was a sociopath. His internet searches led to him receiving an email about obtaining psychological treatment for the condition.

Attacking women became a pattern. He was also fired from his job at a Whataburger after a month for threatening a female coworker. And later he was let go of his job at Wendy’s.

Despite losing his jobs, living at home allowed him to save money. By the end of 2021, when clues of his plans first surfaced, he ordered rifle slings, a red dot sight and shin guards, as well as a body armor carrier he wore the day of the Robb Elementary massacre. But because he was still 17 at the time, he wasn’t legally allowed to buy the weapons and at least two people he asked refused.

In late 2021, the committee said Ramos shared a video online showing him driving around with someone he said he had met online, holding a clear plastic bag with a dead cat inside, which Ramos “discarded in the street and spit on while his driver laughed.” The video then showed him dry firing BB guns at people and ended with footage of emergency services responding to a serious car accident, which he claimed his driver had caused, according to the report.

But despite all the threats and violent talk, none of his online behavior was reported to law enforcement. It’s unclear whether other users reported his behavior to any social media platform, but the committee concluded it doesn’t appear there were any actions taken to restrict his access or to report him to authorities as a threat.

He moved in with his grandmother, who had retired from the local school district after 27 years, after having a blowout argument with his mother that was livestreamed on Instagram. The report doesn’t specify who livestreamed it, but The Washington Post reported that two months prior to the shooting, he posted an Instagram story in which he screamed at his mother who, according to a high school classmate, he said was trying to kick him out of their home.

Instead, Ramos began to buy more firearm accessories beginning in February, including 60 30-round magazines. As soon as he turned 18, on May 16, he started buying guns and ammunition. In the end he bought two AR-15-style rifles and thousands of rounds. In total, he spent more than $6,000, the committee found.

Five days before he went on a rampage, a man targeted and killed 10 Black people in a Buffalo, N.Y. supermarket. The mass shooting didn’t go unnoticed by Ramos. He saved news stories and other information about it. He also spent time with a cousin’s son who went to Robb Elementary to get information about his schedule and lunch periods, officials reported.

On the eve of the shooting, Ramos sent out messages to people about something he was going to do the following day. “I got a lil secret,” he wrote to a German girl he had befriended.

It was impossible to do that day, he explained, because he was waiting for something to be delivered. His order of 1,740 hollow points arrived later that day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 7/17/2022 at 7:06 PM, HRSchenker said:

400+ officers and not one of them had courage, ethics, morals, love of community, love of fellow man, appreciation for the law, or respect for the title that previous generations served with honor and dignity. All we needed was one good person to confront evil and they declined to do it. Every officer that showed up to the school should resign. Abbott should ask for their resignation. Every single one. The people of the state need it, the children who were killed deserve it, and the families who will live with this for the rest of their life are demanding it.

Don't just fire them. Revoke their LEO license. Don't ever let them work in law enforcement again. 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Is it correct that the report said that the person the officer had in his sights and asked permission to shoot was a coach at the school and not the gunman?

That was highlighted by the report as another example of misinformation being spread/ not controlled by law enforcement.

4 minutes ago, freyguy said:

That was highlighted by the report as another example of misinformation being spread/ not controlled by law enforcement.

that he had someone in his sights but never asked permission to shoot? or never had anyone in his sights?

On 7/20/2022 at 3:01 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Easy to armchair quarterback, but that looked... weird.

I could see the husband being mind-fucked and in a daze, you never know. But what is surreal is that army of cops in the hallway, quiet and immobile as the terracotta armies of Qin Shi Huang.

Fire the blow-hard useless lot of them. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Easy to armchair quarterback, but that looked... weird.
I could see the husband being mind-fucked and in a daze, you never know. But what is surreal is that army of cops in the hallway, quiet and immobile as the terracotta armies of Qin Shi Huang.
Fire the blow-hard useless lot of them. 

He was in a complete daze. You can see it clear as day. After watching a lot of different angles, I don’t feel like calling him a pussy is 100% warranted. But what the fuck do I know?
  • Hook 'Em 4

Damnit all to hell. Fuck…

“A New York Times report filed Thursday stated that "more than a dozen" of the 33 children and three teachers originally in the conjoined classrooms occupied by the shooter remained alive during the hour and 17-minute span between the beginning of the shooting and officers' entry into the classroom. One teacher shot by Ramos died while being transported to the hospital, the Times notes, and three children who were extracted from the classroom later died at the hospital from their injuries.”

————————————————

FBI Agent Katherine Schweit, one of the bureau's chief researchers on mass shootings, told the Tribune that going through a window is proper police protocol during an active shooter event.

"The training that police officers have received for more than a decade mandates that when shots are fired in an active-shooter situation, officers or an officer needs to continue through whatever obstacles they face to get to the shooter, period," Schweit told the Tribune. "If that means they go through walls, or go around the back through windows, or through an adjoining classroom, they do that."

fuck…

Edited by Nicole44
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Damnit all to hell. Fuck…

“A New York Times report filed Thursday stated that "more than a dozen" of the 33 children and three teachers originally in the conjoined classrooms occupied by the shooter remained alive during the hour and 17-minute span between the beginning of the shooting and officers' entry into the classroom. One teacher shot by Ramos died while being transported to the hospital, the Times notes, and three children who were extracted from the classroom later died at the hospital from their injuries.”

————————————————

FBI Agent Katherine Schweit, one of the bureau's chief researchers on mass shootings, told the Tribune that going through a window is proper police protocol during an active shooter event.

"The training that police officers have received for more than a decade mandates that when shots are fired in an active-shooter situation, officers or an officer needs to continue through whatever obstacles they face to get to the shooter, period," Schweit told the Tribune. "If that means they go through walls, or go around the back through windows, or through an adjoining classroom, they do that."

fuck…

'Member when every state official was praising the swift bravery and action of the police? I member. That was back when it officially was a dead teachers fault for not closing the door, and when Beto was just being a cop hater blowing it out of proportion.

Ah, the lies we tell ourselves to protect our worldview. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2