Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No chance they're overlooking Air Force after the two midweek games. 

this is the one good thing about drawing AF.  there is no sneaking up on us and Pierce has all the ammo he needs to keep their focus, if he choses to use it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the pitching is what it is at this point.  It's time for the bats to be consistent and not disappear every other game.

Yep.  Our offense disappearing against some questionable pitching (OSU game 2 and OU champ game) is concerning the most.  Like, you can say the AFA ace was chased in 3 innings in his only P5 start, but our offense got dominated by a guy who had pitched 24 total innings before our game (went 8 full innings against us of 1 run ball) and then a RS FR with an ERA of 7.94 who had pitched a whopping 23 innings before the Big 12 championship and we barely touched him in 5 innings (2 hits, 1 run, 9 strikeouts). 

Fuck, Horton had given up 5 and 8 ER in 6 innings in the prior 2 games before he embarrassed us. 

We are capable of being shut down by meh pitching. 

Just now, Js1 said:

Everybody is. Our hot garbage shut down Oklahoma State. 

Also we are slumping.

But we can also crush really good pitching. It's all about being hot at the right time.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  Our offense disappearing against some questionable pitching (OSU game 2 and OU champ game) is concerning the most.  Like, you can say the AFA ace was chased in 3 innings in his only P5 start, but our offense got dominated by a guy who had pitched 24 total innings before our game (went 8 full innings against us of 1 run ball) and then a RS FR with an ERA of 7.94 who had pitched a whopping 23 innings before the Big 12 championship and we barely touched him in 5 innings (2 hits, 1 run, 9 strikeouts). 

Fuck, Horton had given up 5 and 8 ER in 6 innings in the prior 2 games before he embarrassed us. 

I get your premise, but Cade Horton is not your ordinary JAG who is a nobody. He was top 20 HS player in the country just 2 years ago and is 15 months removed from Tommy John. Guys get their command and stuff back at different rates from that surgery (see: Duplantier, Andre). The guy we saw Sunday spotting 97 on the corners with a wipeout slider is who Horton is when he’s fully healthy, has all his pitches working and is not building up arm stamina. 

The dude was going to be in OU’s weekend rotation last year as a freshman before he had surgery. I don’t think there’s any shame in taking one on the chin from someone with his stuff.

Edited by Hookem2147

4 hours ago, Horndog said:

Yeah, it reminds me of the time about a month ago when we got to the easy part of the schedule. Right before we lost the first 2 games to KSU.

Oh, make no mistake, this team is quite capable of fucking up the good draw.

That, however, doesn’t change the fact that it is a good draw.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It definitely scares me more than last year because Texas doesn't have the same level of pitching. 

I actually think this is a softer draw than last year though. On paper, Florida was a better team than ECU in the supers pairing and there's not much difference between the regionals. 

So is the version of a Texas team we are throwing out on the field this year. Last year's team would beat this year's version in a three game set.

Who really cares about tough or soft draws. You have to beat the teams in front of you and worrying about if they are soft or hard is the dumbest shit to argue over. Like the fans in Major League discussing if the Homerun was "too high" or "too low". 

We should really be discussing how we intend to get 3-4 wins this weekend.

Just now, Droopy said:

So is the version of a Texas team we are throwing out on the field this year. Last year's team would beat this year's version in a three game set.

Who really cares about tough or soft draws. You have to beat the teams in front of you and worrying about if they are soft or hard is the dumbest shit to argue over. Like the fans in Major League discussing if the Homerun was "too high" or "too low". 

It's a baseball forum where you discuss this stuff. No shit you have to beat the teams in front of you. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I don't know. Last year's team struck out so much the opposing catcher would catch a cold. They just didn't do it when it mattered...except game 1 of the CWS. So we have a rose tinted memory of it.

If this team's warts don't show up in the tournament I am sure we will have rosey colored memories of it as well.

But overall yeah I don’t care who we have in our bracket. It's just about beating who is in front of you.

Edited by Valmy77

Does anyone happen to be buying the regional strip but unable to go on Friday ? I can only go on Friday. Don’t want to buy a whole strip and pretty sure they will sell out before individual games are sold. Need 3 and will be driving up and back from Houston on Friday for the games . Would obviously pay for them. Let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am going to buy tickets but I am out of town until Friday afternoon. I would love to get them to you but I don’t know how to transfer them. I certainly can't physically give them to you.

And I am buying three.

Once you get the tickets (they will be sent online) , it's easy to transfer via phone number or email address. The person receiving just needs to accept and transfer to their phones wallet. I did it with my season tickets multiple x's this year.

(you might even be able to to put them in will call. but the phone transfer is super simple)

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Like 1

I am going to buy tickets but I am out of town until Friday afternoon. I would love to get them to you but I don’t know how to transfer them. I certainly can't physically give them to you.
And I am buying three.

Thanks . Pm sent. Does anyone know if these are transferable tickets?

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's a baseball forum where you discuss this stuff. No shit you have to beat the teams in front of you. 

Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't know. Last year's team struck out so much the opposing catcher would catch a cold. They just didn't do it when it mattered...except game 1 of the CWS. So we have a rose tinted memory of it.

This team's warts don't show up in the tournament I am sure we will have rosey colored memories of it as well.

I agree, but last year's team had guys step up and pitching depth that this year's team, just doesn't or hasn't had yet. Like you said above, the team that gets hot will take the regional, just hope Texas gets the fire lit.

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

And I am buying three.

10 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

Thanks . Pm sent. Does anyone know if these are transferable tickets?

Just checked my TexasSports account....

48 hrs before the event, tickets will be downloadable. It says there is no mobile pass for the event. So I think @Valmy77 could forward his email he receives for his tickets to you for the transfer. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Anybody is capable of being shut down by meh pitching. It’s baseball Tennessee got mowed down by a 6+ ERA Tennessee Tech reliever in a 3-2 loss earlier this year. 

We roughed up Jake Bennet, Brandon Birdsell, and Justin Campbell this year. All viewed as top arms in the Big 12, Birdsell being Big 12 pitcher of the year. 

Shit happens. No different than Pete giving up 6 ER to the same Oklahoma State team in Austin a month earlier and turning around and making them look sick in Arlington. Just like a good pitcher can be off, a bad pitcher can be on sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If this team's warts don't show up in the tournament I am sure we will have rosey colored memories of it as well.

But overall yeah I don’t care who we have in our bracket. It's just about beating who is in front of you.

agreed last year's team struck out a lot but  last year's team was the opposite of slumping at this point and they had better pitching for sure.  sure one game out of 4 not hitting is just baseball.  it happens.  this team is slumping and is very up and down almost every other game it seems.

I keep hoping Kennedy and Hodo will turn it on and Faltine gets on a hot streak.  those 3 guys, but especially the first 2, getting going can make everything better. 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

agreed last year's team struck out a lot but  last year's team was the opposite of slumping at this point and they had better pitching for sure.  sure one game out of 4 not hitting is just baseball.  it happens.  this team is slumping and is very up and down almost every other game it seems.

I keep hoping Kennedy and Hodo will turn it on and Faltine gets on a hot streak.  those 3 guys, but especially the first 2, getting going can make everything better. 

They were terrible in the conference tournament last year. We won our two games because Hansen and Stevens were awesome. That gives me hope this regional will also be a slump buster.

38 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

They were terrible in the conference tournament last year. We won our two games because Hansen and Stevens were awesome. That gives me hope this regional will also be a slump buster.

I can't remember the last time we hit well in the conference tournament. Yes, we scored 9 against OSU on Saturday but we got a huge boost from the throwing error from the OSU pitcher and 2 or 3 bunt singles in the same inning. Whether it's OKC or now Globe Life, those ballparks just seem to not be friendly to our hitters.

Edited by Hookem2147

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I can't remember the last time we hit well in the conference tournament. Yes, we scored 9 against OSU on Saturday but we got a huge boost from the throwing error from the OSU pitcher and 2 or 3 bunt singles in the same inning. Whether it's OKC or now Globe Life, those ballparks just seem to not be friendly to our hitters.

I took a look -- for the season in its entirety, we averaged 10.9 hits and 7.9 runs per game.  We played 8 games at Globe Life in which averaged 8.6 hits and 5.1 runs per game.  Beyond that, those 8 games are included in the season stats.  So, we did do worse offensively in Globe Life than we did elsewhere (but I'm not going to strip out those 8 games to see the actual comparison, because I've run out of interest).

Edited by jimmyjazz

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I took a look -- for the season in its entirety, we averaged 10.9 hits and 7.9 runs per game.  We played 8 games at Globe Life in which averaged 8.6 hits and 5.1 runs per game.  Beyond that, those 8 games are included in the season stats.  So, we did do worse offensively in Globe Life than we did elsewhere (but I'm not going to strip out those 8 games to see the actual comparison, because I've run out of interest).

Yeah, makes sense. I think there's something to be said for a major league park (or even a minor league park like the one in OKC) messing with a hitter's mind a little bit. 

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Only as a hitter. He is their Friday night starter so we didn't see him on the mound in the midweek games.

But I've been told repeatedly that teams always throw their weekend starters in midweek games against Texas.  Because it's their Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

But I've been told repeatedly that teams always throw their weekend starters in midweek games against Texas.  Because it's their Super Bowl.

Well, by my count we had 4 different midweek games where a team brought in a weekend starter out of the pen so I would say that is somewhat accurate. Doesn't always happen but I bet it happened against us more than any other team.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Nobody ever said it happens for every mid-week game and it absolutely DOES happen frequently.  Don't be such an ass.

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Nobody ever said it happens for every mid-week game and it absolutely DOES happen frequently.  Don't be such an ass.

Also this is something that happens with Texas schools who have reason to think beating us would be this big deal. While I am sure Airforce was very happy to beat us they don't have the same little brother thing going on.