Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Olivarez, Morehouse, Harrison, Cobb each go 2. Stevens comes in for the 9th. Something like that.

Yep. Except start Morehouse. Let him go 3-4 max. He’s had some good outings the last month. Keep the ball down, THROW FUCKING STRIKES and let our defense go to work. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Also, a big reason Air Force hit like that is both those games were extremely windy. If you popped anything up to the outfield it was a home run. 

Are those the same conditions next weekend? 

I’d be willing to bet on it

death, taxes, (south) wind blowing out to left at Disch-Falk in an NCAA regional 

27 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

You think we start Stevens?

I would go the Tampa opener strategy if we get to Sunday 2-0. Try to get 3-6 outs from the bullpen then bring in Stevens to start a clean inning, and let him go as long as he can. It's the same strategy that Pierce should have used yesterday, but he got greedy with Sthele.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I would go the Tampa opener strategy if we get to Sunday 2-0. Try to get 3-6 outs from the bullpen then bring in Stevens to start a clean inning, and let him go as long as he can. It's the same strategy that Pierce should have used yesterday, but he got greedy with Sthele.

Yep, that's exactly what I would have done. He got greedy with Sthele. They should have taken the 6 outs he gave them without a blowup and moved on.

16 minutes ago, txduck87 said:

If anyone here has access to 3 will gladly pay for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All-session tickets will go on sale Wednesday, June 1 at 9 a.m. CT at TexasSports.com/Tickets. If available, single-session tickets will go on sale Friday, June 3 at 9 a.m. CT.

The Friday time seems late considering 1PM game start.    Best to confirm with ticket office at 512-471-3333.

https://texassports.com/news/2022/5/30/baseball-ncaa-announces-austin-regional-participants.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1

All-session tickets will go on sale Wednesday, June 1 at 9 a.m. CT at TexasSports.com/Tickets. If available, single-session tickets will go on sale Friday, June 3 at 9 a.m. CT.

The Friday time seems late considering 1PM game start.    Best to confirm with ticket office at 512-471-3333.
https://texassports.com/news/2022/5/30/baseball-ncaa-announces-austin-regional-participants.aspx

Thanks. Can only go to Friday game . Uggh. Will probably sell out on all session tickets .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pierce has always had us play the early game on Friday.  I liked Augie's way better.  Anyway, if you're not taking the Friday and Monday of regional weekend off (or at least scheduling "work from home"), you're doing it wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

The big thing is win this regional and there's a great chance Texas hosts a super too. 

ECU went 2-7 this season against quadrant 1 teams. They beat nobody. Virginia is going to win that regional and if they don't it's still a favorable draw on the road based on their lack of quality wins. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, WBT said:

Pierce has always had us play the early game on Friday.  I liked Augie's way better.  Anyway, if you're not taking the Friday and Monday of regional weekend off (or at least scheduling "work from home"), you're doing it wrong.

I take my dad to a weekly paracentesis at 1 every Friday the last 2ish years. So yeah that 1 pm start is ass fucking me right now 

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The big thing is win this regional and there's a great chance Texas hosts a super too. 

ECU went 2-7 this season against quadrant 1 teams. They beat nobody. Virginia is going to win that regional and if they don't it's still a favorable draw on the road based on their lack of quality wins. 

Virginia is 7-10 on the road this season.  They're not hot shit, either.  

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

So if we beat him on Friday they shouldn't be too big of a problem after that.

Well, then the question becomes does AF start Skenes Friday or save him for Saturday.

The answer to that question may be more important than Gordon or Hansen for us.

41 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So, do they give the super to the other side of the bracket or the winner of the regional?  I suppose a lot of that depends on the drawing power of each.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, do they give the super to the other side of the bracket or the winner of the regional?  I suppose a lot of that depends on the drawing power of each.

Texas would definitely host because of drawing power and the fact they were the higher seed to begin with. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If ECU loses and we win, we host as the #9 national seed. If two #2s win then it comes down to things like drawing power.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If ECU loses and we win, we host as the #9 national seed. If two #2s win then it comes down to things like drawing power.

Is that the case for baseball? In softball, if two non-seeded teams win regionals, the non-seeded winner of the top 8 regional gets to host if they meet the requirements 

Voting Stevens as game 3 starter.
1) Stevens still has a 4.5 ERA in his relier appearances against non-midweek teams. His value is not in being a shutdown bullpen arm, but in the volume of ok innings he can throw. Stevens gives you 6IP of 2-6 run ball and without the same specter of a blowup like we had against OU.
2) Morehouse isn’t the guy, not in the playoffs. He’s given up 20 ER in 19 innings against “real” opponents (not UTRGV) and 12 in his last 7 (including against Kansas and WVU). He is not a viable posteason starter based on the resume to-date.

The only alternative to Stevens is Johnny Allstaff, which gets really dicey really fast. If our bats get blown away (OU) it doesn’t matter much. But keeping it to 5 or 6 v 8+ honestly matters with how potent our offense can be. I wish we could keep Stevens in the pen, and if we get in trouble in the first two games he should probably be our long relief option. But if we can, we want him going 6+ IP and giving us a real chance in a G3.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is that the case for baseball? In softball, if two non-seeded teams win regionals, the non-seeded winner of the top 8 regional gets to host if they meet the requirements 

That is not how it has worked in the past. Look at 2014. LSU was the top 8 seed. Houston won that regional but came to Austin for the Supers when we won the Rice regional as an unseeded team. And we were both #2s.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

That is not how it has worked in the past. Look at 2014. LSU was the top 8 seed. Houston won that regional but came to Austin for the Supers when we won the Rice regional as an unseeded team. And we were both #2s.

This. 

59 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If it is Texas and Virginia, Texas will 100% host because we are a national seed.  Money would have nothing to do with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WBT said:

3 day work week for the win. Non poors unite to getting fucked up mid day on a fridayyyy 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Didn't Cougar High go on to lose the deciding game something like 17-2?

The other difference is that you can go to D-F without getting shot if you park one street too far away.  I went to a UH game one time as media, and the SID literally told me, "don't park on the other side of X street or else you risk getting shot."

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The baseball forum has never jinxed itself. Especially the South Carolina week or against Kansas State/WV

how does this board still do this?

Cause it doesn’t matter what the fuck we say 

• Hook 'Em 4