Work trip to Austin

Ag with kids

I'm going to be up in the downtown Austin area this week 6/22-6/24 for a UAS conference.  The conference is at the JW Marriott, but I work for the state so they'd say GFY if I wanted to stay there and pay their rates.

But, there's a Residence Inn not far away that I can justify (Yay gubmint).  This all appears to be in the 4th- 6th/Congress area...or close to it. 

So...not really ever being in Austin much (duh), what are some good places to eat in the evening or maybe lunch if they don't have any at the conference.

I do know Austin has tons of stuff there, I just don't know exactly what.

Swift's Attic for dinner one night- it's right by the JW and has good food & drinks. Also hit Elephant Room after or before. If you like Belgian beer, Mort Subite across the street has a very good selection. There's a Cooper's BBQ over there that's a decent lunch option. There are plenty of other options over there, but those come to mind first based on the area.

15 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I'm going to be up in the downtown Austin area this week 6/22-6/24 for a UAS conference.  The conference is at the JW Marriott, but I work for the state so they'd say GFY if I wanted to stay there and pay their rates.

But, there's a Residence Inn not far away that I can justify (Yay gubmint).  This all appears to be in the 4th- 6th/Congress area...or close to it. 

So...not really ever being in Austin much (duh), what are some good places to eat in the evening or maybe lunch if they don't have any at the conference.

weird they are doing the conference in the same hotel/venue as the largest open source conference in north america at the same time. I'll be around as well - maybe we can meet up.

11 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

There's a Cooper's BBQ over there that's a decent lunch option.

Coopers, both the OG in Llano and the one on Congress, is oversalted meh.  If you need a quick BBQ lunch in the area and can't get out of town, just go to Iron Works.

If you want to treat yourself, have dinner at Red Ash.

12 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

You know Austin is full of minorities right?  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, South Austin said:

If you need a quick BBQ lunch in the area and can't get out of town, just go to Iron Works.

I haven't been to Iron Works in I don't know how long...15+ years?  Is it actually a legit option?  I haven't been because it was terrible the last time I went, and not much better the times previous.  Never have understood how it's still open, other than preying on unsuspecting tourists/conventioneers.

I haven't been to Iron Works in I don't know how long...15+ years?  Is it actually a legit option?  I haven't been because it was terrible the last time I went, and not much better the times previous.  Never have understood how it's still open, other than preying on unsuspecting tourists/conventioneers.

I guess he mentioned it because it’s walking distance. But what does an Uber from the Marriot to L&L cost? Can’t be more than $10, right?

25 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Ummm...I went to HS in SA and live in Corpus...it'll be like Whitey McWhiteyville there compared to either of those...😉

Austin is Whitey McWhiteyville. He's just fucking with you because you're an aggie and a lot of y'all don't like the browns.

10 minutes ago, Mittens said:

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess he mentioned it because it’s walking distance. But what does an Uber from the Marriot to L&L cost? Can’t be more than $10, right?

There's no good bbq in downtown Austin. Closest you'll get is Terry Black's, which is much closer than L&L. Walkable or not depending on your tolerance for a one mile walk when it's a hundred-and-fuck-you outside. 

• Haha 1

For lunch, are you looking for a quick lunch during a conference?  Or is this something where vendors are going to take you out?

For the former, there's a Tacodeli across the street from the J.W. Marriott.  And a block over, there's a Mason's Lobster Rolls.  If you want sushi, Maiko is good.

For the later, Perry's is open for lunch on Fridays--go get you the giant pork chop.

• Hook 'Em 2

There's no good bbq in downtown Austin. Closest you'll get is Terry Black's, which is much closer than L&L. Walkable or not depending on your tolerance for a one mile walk when it's a hundred-and-fuck-you outside. 

I’d rather take an Uber to L&L than to Terry Black’s. Or one of them homeless rickshaws.

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’d rather take an Uber to L&L than to Terry Black’s. Or one of them homeless rickshaws.

No doubt it's better. But Terry Black's is serviceable and walkable. And when I'm on work trips I typically want something close and easy that doesn't suck.

I disagree with others about Coopers. I think the downtown one is pretty good and the OG in Llano is some of the best BBQ around when it's on.  Other places walkable downtown:

Roaring Fork. Nothing like a hot kettle of green chile stew when it's 105+ on the sidewalk, but still.

Polvo's in the 360 Tower (or whatever they're calling it now).

Ranch 616. Haven't been since it reopened but it looks great.

Favorite Pizza at 6th and West if you're up for a slice or two for lunch.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

For lunch, are you looking for a quick lunch during a conference?  Or is this something where vendors are going to take you out?

For the former, there's a Tacodeli across the street from the J.W. Marriott.  And a block over, there's a Mason's Lobster Rolls.  If you want sushi, Maiko is good.

For the later, Perry's is open for lunch on Fridays--go get you the giant pork chop.

Is Mason's any good? I've walked by it a time or two and seen very little traffic. Prices seem crazy even for (i) lobster and (ii) downtown.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Terry Black's isn't walkable from downtown when it's 104 outside.

It's one mile from the JW Marriott. It's .4 miles to Iron Works from the Marriott. As I said in my original response, whether or not you feel that's walkable is up to your own tolerance for walking when it's 100+. I'm just making suggestions about not-shitty bbq in the area. Walk to Terry Blacks or or walk to Iron Works or take a Lyft. I don't give a fuck.

What he should be doing is taking a lyft up to the Chili's at 38th and Lamar. Everyone knows that's the best restaurant in Austin. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

Ah so it's colocated inside of open source summit makes more sense. I'll be at the conference. 

Maybe i'll see you there - as you can see I'm there specifically for the PX4 part of the conference but it can't take up TOO much space, can it?

I'll be the short, fat, old Aggie.  I'll have a Lone Star UAS shirt on, but still have an Aggie cap on.

If you get bored, come on over and see what the UAS community is working on.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--it's a very good lobster roll.  But it is expensive, no question about that.

I looked at the menu.  I don't care what my coworkers want, i'm getting something from there.  And per diem makes the cost issue something I care less about.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Probably just a quick lunch close by for me and the 2 coworkers.  We work for the state so vendor lunches are not something we can do very often - or ever.  May look at Perry's for dinner...

Appreciate the help!

18 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Maybe i'll see you there - as you can see I'm there specifically for the PX4 part of the conference but it can't take up TOO much space, can it?

I'll be the short, fat, old Aggie.  I'll have a Lone Star UAS shirt on, but still have an Aggie cap on.

You won't be able to miss Immamac. 

AgonizingShowyAurochs-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Probably just a quick lunch close by for me and the 2 coworkers.  We work for the state so vendor lunches are not something we can do very often - or ever.  May look at Perry's for dinner...

Appreciate the help!

There used to be a great Peruvian food truck on 7th or 8th or thereabouts.  No idea if it's still around.  Llamas or some such.

Edited by dcbc

32 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Y’all can rub aggy rings together

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I looked at the menu.  I don't care what my coworkers want, i'm getting something from there.  And per diem makes the cost issue something I care less about.

You want to get the Bar Harbor and double up on the meat.  If you do that, it's a metric ass-ton of lobster.