Austin FC

Bottlecap

A little more than 30 years ago I was first exposed to watching soccer as an exchange student in France watching it with my host dad. Since then, I've only watched the big stuff with national teams. 

That said, I seem to recall watching at least one Ligue 1 game where as a desperation move the goalie came out and played offense.

How rare is that, and is a moment like this appropriate for that kind of move?

Edited by bolverk

On 8/14/2021 at 10:29 PM, MidTexHorn said:

At what point do you say - Claudio, you’ve put together a really shitty team that is completely incapable of scoring goals? At what point do you demand slightly more? Or am I just a demanding asshole who should be satisfied with a shitty expansion team that doesn’t score?

Guess I’ll just quote myself 

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i can't tell if poor coaching or total case of team yips but jesus this team needs to start to produce and reward their vocal fanbase 

gonna take time like anything else. just gotta wait out the shot callers and get some of them tickets at dynamo pricing levels. 

10 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

these dudes def pass when they should shoot and shoot when they should pass 

A whole lot of this.

And their passing last night was the worst of the year - they turned the ball over more than a Greg Davis offense throwing sideways for multiple picks a game.  Slow play on defense getting beaten on breakaways, shitty passing and touches, and no killer instinct anywhere near the goal.  That's, ummm, a really terrible combination.

It’s an MLS team. If you thought it was going to be anything other than bad, that’s your mistake.

Meh. It’s like watching AAA baseball. I’m not expecting them to look like an MLB team. I think it’s reasonable to want them to at least look like a mediocre AAA team.

I don’t expect to see Messi out there. I also shouldn’t see a hot mess.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

It’s an MLS team. If you thought it was going to be anything other than bad, that’s your mistake.

My first MLS game in-person was in Seattle 2 years ago. They're still kicking ass. There's some good teams in this league, then on the other end of the table, there's us. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

My first MLS game in-person was in Seattle 2 years ago. They're still kicking ass. There's some good teams in this league, then on the other end of the table, there's us. 

Well, MLS has a pretty good model of how to do expansion teams that are going to be reasonably successful.  Take an established USL team that is decent, add a bit more money and a few designated players, and make sure it's in a soccer hungry market.  See Seattle et. al.

All of the newly created expansion teams haven't done well.  Add in a rookie head coach, and a front office that really hasn't done us any favors with the players they've chosen to bring in, and it's not surprising we're struggling.

Honestly I thought last night was Wolfe's best in game decisions (not that it's saying much), yanking Cecilio early was a big call that obviously was the right move.  Our guys look tired, and I hope he decides to modify his system.  I know the 3-5-2 is the flavor of the times, but asking one of our 3 best mids in Ring to drop into defense so that our slow wingbacks can be rather ineffective and provide width just isn't working, they keep recycling possession rather than crossing the ball or attacking via the dribble.  At this point I think we'd be better off just playing a 4 man backline and actually asking our attacking mids to provide width in the attack as a general rule.  And for god's sake can we stop asking Fagundez to play on the outside of a 3 man front?  His late runs in the attacking 3rd are his best offensive attribute.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, drt said:

Well, MLS has a pretty good model of how to do expansion teams that are going to be reasonably successful.  Take an established USL team that is decent, add a bit more money and a few designated players, and make sure it's in a soccer hungry market.  See Seattle et. al.

All of the newly created expansion teams haven't done well.  Add in a rookie head coach, and a front office that really hasn't done us any favors with the players they've chosen to bring in, and it's not surprising we're struggling.

Honestly I thought last night was Wolfe's best in game decisions (not that it's saying much), yanking Cecilio early was a big call that obviously was the right move.  Our guys look tired, and I hope he decides to modify his system.  I know the 3-5-2 is the flavor of the times, but asking one of our 3 best mids in Ring to drop into defense so that our slow wingbacks can be rather ineffective and provide width just isn't working, they keep recycling possession rather than crossing the ball or attacking via the dribble.  At this point I think we'd be better off just playing a 4 man backline and actually asking our attacking mids to provide width in the attack as a general rule.  And for god's sake can we stop asking Fagundez to play on the outside of a 3 man front?  His late runs in the attacking 3rd are his best offensive attribute.

Great post, top to bottom.

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

That was my first ATX game last night and really had a good time. Yeah the product on the field needs a lot of work, but that was fun! Hopefully we have a decent team in a couple years and that place will continue to rock.

They need to turn it around next year. This town has a habit of getting bored quickly and moving on to the next hip thing. 

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well….wow. Gave our tickets to our cousins tonight. Glad they’re enjoying the game, but damn….seeing a competent attack is amazing.

Don’t know if this is your deal with Canada but my #1 is moving to Scotland to attend University of Edinburgh in 10 days and has to test clean to get in so we aren’t taking any chances. I gave mine to a guy that works at my HEB.

Glad he got to go, but I can’t wait to get back in on 9/4. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Don’t know if this is your deal with Canada but my #1 is moving to Scotland to attend University of Edinburgh in 10 days and has to test clean to get in so we aren’t taking any chances. I gave mine to a guy that works at my HEB.

Glad he got to go, but I can’t wait to get back in on 9/4. 

Same. They need a clean test to get on a plane, so taking no chances these days. It is what it is.
  • Hook 'Em 1