The lunacy of America’s gun laws

Satchel

16 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Looks like freedom.   To keep from becoming victims, the good people get to lock themselves away from the crazies--kind of like a detainee center for children.  This is quickly becoming a real life Purge movie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

People seem to be so concerned with kids seeing dudes in dresses, but it is noticeable that nobody seems to wonder what participating in lockdown drills as early as preschool are doing to our children.  I can't imagine my two-year old daughter practicing hiding in a bathroom will have a positive effect on her development.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Come on. The white kids will be allowed to vote. As long as they’re straight and married to a white chick.

I have been trying to get a green card holding a woman (Mexican) and her adult son (born here) to vote.   No legislation is needed.  

• 1 month later...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna81007

So, to recap— the maniac shooting at the slightly lost delivery driver who is sitting in a car and talking on his phone and the delivery driver, who tried to GTFO in a hurry after said maniac starts blasting— both of them “ appear justified in their actions based on the circumstances they perceived,"

Police in South Florida said they will not charge a neighbor for shooting at a car being used by a grocery delivery worker who ended up at the wrong address.

Officials in Davie, a town about 26 miles north of Miami, announced Friday that charges would not be recommended against the gunman, Antonio Caccavale,43, because his actions were justified by his fear.

Likewise, police said, the Instacart driver will not be charged because he acted based on their own assessment of danger when the vehicle, moving erratically, struck a boulder and the shooter's foot.

Investigators said they did not have video of the incident and thus had to rely on the narratives of each side, which each had its own chronology and facts.

"Each party appear justified in their actions based on the circumstances they perceived," Detective Patrick Di Cintio said in a supplement to the police report on the matter.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna81007
So, to recap— the maniac shooting at the slightly lost delivery driver who is sitting in a car and talking on his phone and the delivery driver, who tried to GTFO in a hurry after said maniac starts blasting— both of them “ appear justified in their actions based on the circumstances they perceived,"

Police in South Florida said they will not charge a neighbor for shooting at a car being used by a grocery delivery worker who ended up at the wrong address.

Officials in Davie, a town about 26 miles north of Miami, announced Friday that charges would not be recommended against the gunman, Antonio Caccavale,43, because his actions were justified by his fear.

Likewise, police said, the Instacart driver will not be charged because he acted based on their own assessment of danger when the vehicle, moving erratically, struck a boulder and the shooter's foot.

Investigators said they did not have video of the incident and thus had to rely on the narratives of each side, which each had its own chronology and facts.

"Each party appear justified in their actions based on the circumstances they perceived," Detective Patrick Di Cintio said in a supplement to the police report on the matter.

giphy.gif

Really interesting article about America's gun history that explains some things beyond modern politics of the stupid. https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/04/23/surprising-geography-of-gun-violence-00092413

In a classic 1993 study of the geographic gap in violence, the social psychologist Richard Nisbett of the University of Michigan, noted the regions initially “settled by sober Puritans, Quakers and Dutch farmer-artisans” — that is, Yankeedom, the Midlands and New Netherland — were organized around a yeoman agricultural economy that rewarded “quiet, cooperative citizenship, with each individual being capable of uniting for the common good.”

Much of the South, he wrote, was settled by “swashbuckling Cavaliers of noble or landed gentry status, who took their values . . . from the knightly, medieval standards of manly honor and virtue” (by which he meant Tidewater and the Deep South) or by Scots and Scots-Irish borderlanders (the Greater Appalachian colonists) who hailed from one of the most lawless parts of Europe and relied on “an economy based on herding,” where one’s wealth is tied up in livestock, which are far more vulnerable to theft than grain crops.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:06 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

they're creating a shitload of anti-gun kids, that's for sure. if they think this gun freedom will last in perpetuity I think they have some hard lessons coming

I have been saying this ever since Sandy Hook. I think it's inevitable at this point. The Republican strategy should be to minimize the effects, yet they aren't doing that at all.

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Sounds like this patriot needs a higher capacity magazine if he can't hit his target in 30 tries. On a related note, Mr. Hocevar is probably going to need to learn to maintain his own pool and find a new homeowner's policy after this incident.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Guess thankfully it's pretty obvious this guy never, ever shoots that gun at the range if he yeeeted a full magazine at someone that close and missed every single time. Feel like this is a relatively common denominator with most of the fools I have read about in the last couple weeks just blasting away thru closed doors at people ringing their doorbell they don't know or at people who just pulled into their driveway to turn around...some luckier than others.

• 2 weeks later...

This Man Is A Suspect In Multiple Shootings. His Case May Decide The Future Of Gun Rights.

This domestic abuse case could shape how courts interpret the Second Amendment right to defend oneself with a firearm.

By Roque Planas, Jul 5, 2023, 12:55 PM EDT

When detectives went looking for Zackey Rahimi at his family home in Kennedale, Texas, on Jan. 14, 2021, they didn’t find him. Rahimi, whom authorities suspected was a drug dealer who had been involved in a handful of recent shootings, had already been arrested on charges of aggravated assault with a firearm in a separate case out of nearby Fort Worth.

On the nightstand in his empty bedroom, the officers found a loaded .45 caliber Glock with a 24-round extended magazine. Under the bed, they found a .308 semi-automatic rifle loaded with 16 rounds lying in an open box. And in his dresser, they found a protective order for domestic abuse, which stripped him of the right to possess either of the guns. Violating the provision is a federal crime.

The detectives passed the information to an agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, who filed a criminal complaint in federal court the next day. It seemed likely to be an open-and-shut case. A few months later, Rahimi pleaded guilty and was sentenced to six years in federal prison.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/supreme-court-gun-rights-case-zackey-rahimi_n_64a551a0e4b0035bc5c9fe71

Edited by Bullneck

I guess this can go here, as I think it highlights the bizarro gun culture we have created in this country.

Local news just had an interview with a veteran advocating for mental health awareness, which of course I am all for.

Problem was, the reason he is an advocate is because 13 years ago he took his wife hostage and attempted suicide by firearm.  Horrible and way too common among veterans (the suicide part, not necessarily the hostage part).  He admitted he sees himself as the "enemy" inside his own home and has taken steps to secure his firearm within his home so it is harder for him to access, in case of another incident.  This is part of the program he is advocating for as well.  Essentially, making your firearm more secure within your home.

I have every sympathy for veterans and their mental health.  One of my good friends was a Marine sniper who took his own life a few years back.  

Now, my basic question is:

Wouldn't it make more sense to just...not have a gun?  Why does he need a gun?  He's already proven he may not be the most trustworthy person to have a gun.  Why is that logical step just too much to take here?