The lunacy of America’s gun laws

Satchel

The latest example of guns being valued more than people:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01/entertainment/atlanta-music-festival-canceled/index.html

(CNN) The Atlanta music festival Music Midtown, which draws tens of thousands of concertgoers and blockbuster musicians each year, "will no longer be taking place this year," organizers announced in a tweet Monday. 

Though the organizers did not cite a reason for calling off the festival, various media reports citing industry and festival sources said the cancellation was due to a recent interpretation of Georgia's gun law, which permits firearms in public spaces, including parks.
Weapons and explosives of any kind are prohibited at the festival, according to its website. Gun rights advocates had mounted a pressure campaign against that position, calling into question the festival's ability to restrict firearms since Georgia allows guns to be carried in parks.
Sources with knowledge of the cancellation decision by operator Live Nation who spoke to Rolling Stone cited Georgia gun laws as the reason.

Georgia Gun advocate Phil Evans told CNN he emailed festival organizers in May, apprising them of Georgia gun laws and a Georgia Supreme court case dealing with guns in which he was a party. Evans said he also asked the City of Atlanta to deny a permit to Live Nation for Music Midtown, given the festival's ban on firearms.
In the email dated May 13, Evans asked the city to deny the permit for "as they have publicly stated an intent to violate settled state law."
"The City of Atlanta should respect state law and uphold it when dealing with entities that make use of tax-payer owned properties that wish to make money from such usage, or even otherwise," the email said.

This is your evidence of lunacy? Look about 150 miles from here where 19 children were murdered in a classroom by an 18 year old who was able to buy a weapon of war and 1,600 rounds of ammunition with no one batting an eye. And then, after "The screams of children have been removed" nothing has changed to prevent that from happening again tomorrow.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This is your evidence of lunacy? Look about 150 miles from here where 19 children were murdered in a classroom by an 18 year old who was able to buy a weapon of war and 1,600 rounds of ammunition with no one batting an eye. And then, after "The screams of children have been removed" nothing has changed to prevent that from happening again tomorrow.

And he’d never fired a gun before that day. It’s fucking insane. 

14 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The latest example of guns being valued more than people:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/01/entertainment/atlanta-music-festival-canceled/index.html

(CNN) The Atlanta music festival Music Midtown, which draws tens of thousands of concertgoers and blockbuster musicians each year, "will no longer be taking place this year," organizers announced in a tweet Monday. 

Though the organizers did not cite a reason for calling off the festival, various media reports citing industry and festival sources said the cancellation was due to a recent interpretation of Georgia's gun law, which permits firearms in public spaces, including parks.
Weapons and explosives of any kind are prohibited at the festival, according to its website. Gun rights advocates had mounted a pressure campaign against that position, calling into question the festival's ability to restrict firearms since Georgia allows guns to be carried in parks.
Sources with knowledge of the cancellation decision by operator Live Nation who spoke to Rolling Stone cited Georgia gun laws as the reason.

Georgia Gun advocate Phil Evans told CNN he emailed festival organizers in May, apprising them of Georgia gun laws and a Georgia Supreme court case dealing with guns in which he was a party. Evans said he also asked the City of Atlanta to deny a permit to Live Nation for Music Midtown, given the festival's ban on firearms.
In the email dated May 13, Evans asked the city to deny the permit for "as they have publicly stated an intent to violate settled state law."
"The City of Atlanta should respect state law and uphold it when dealing with entities that make use of tax-payer owned properties that wish to make money from such usage, or even otherwise," the email said.

I sincerely hope similar reasoning is used to force taxpayer funded sports stadiums into allowing all guns into sporting events.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

In order for looney gun laws to remain, the sanitized versions of gun carnage is what must be presented to the American people. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

26 minutes ago, Satchel said:

In order for looney gun laws to remain, the sanitized versions of gun carnage is what must be presented to the American people. 

Wish there was simply a +1 rep. 

From what I understand, the gun laws in Georgia predate the law that kemp signed by about 10 years. Local radio here is reporting that there might be economic reasons for the cancellation 

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/organizers-cancel-music-midtown-this-year/RT2MR657LJBO5PIDZBJN3NSMEA/?outputType=amp

Edited by EuroHorn

2 hours ago, EuroHorn said:

From what I understand, the gun laws in Georgia predate the law that kemp signed by about 10 years. Local radio here is reporting that there might be economic reasons for the cancellation 

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/organizers-cancel-music-midtown-this-year/RT2MR657LJBO5PIDZBJN3NSMEA/?outputType=amp

Kemp’s law made it possible to brandish a gun in the music festival without the encumbrance of having to first secure a license to do so.

• 6 months later...

This is how Missouri responded to law enforcement pleas for help to curb gun violence committed by children:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/missouri-republicans-house-minors-guns-b2279371.html

Missouri’s Republican-controlled state House has voted against banning children from openly carrying guns on public land without adult supervision.

The proposal was defeated by a vote of 104-39, with only one Republican voting to support the ban. The measure was part of a long debate in the House about ways to combat crime, particularly in the St Louis area of the state.

Democratic Representative Donna Baringer said police in her district had asked for a change in the law to prevent “14-year-olds walking down the middle of the street in the city of St Louis carrying AR-15s.”

“Now they have been emboldened, and they are walking around with them,” Ms Baringer said. “Until they actually brandish them, and brandish them with intent, our police officers’ hands are handcuffed.”

In 2017 lawmakers in the state allowed people to carry concealed firearms in most places without first obtaining a permit

• Rage+1 3

On 2/11/2023 at 2:03 PM, Satchel said:

This is how Missouri responded to law enforcement pleas for help to curb gun violence committed by children:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/missouri-republicans-house-minors-guns-b2279371.html

Missouri’s Republican-controlled state House has voted against banning children from openly carrying guns on public land without adult supervision.

The proposal was defeated by a vote of 104-39, with only one Republican voting to support the ban. The measure was part of a long debate in the House about ways to combat crime, particularly in the St Louis area of the state.

Democratic Representative Donna Baringer said police in her district had asked for a change in the law to prevent “14-year-olds walking down the middle of the street in the city of St Louis carrying AR-15s.”

“Now they have been emboldened, and they are walking around with them,” Ms Baringer said. “Until they actually brandish them, and brandish them with intent, our police officers’ hands are handcuffed.”

In 2017 lawmakers in the state allowed people to carry concealed firearms in most places without first obtaining a permit

The best part is when the Rs blame the "Democrat run cities" for violence while they do shit like this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I will put this here, though it could also go in the destruction of education thread, because this superintendent ought to spend some time in jail. I guess we will see if our state believes in enforcing laws prohibiting leaving unsecured firearms where children are present.

RISING STAR, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – A 3rd grader in Rising Star found a gun the superintendent left in a school bathroom.

Superintendent Robby Stuteville confirms the 3rd grader found the gun at Rising Start Elementary School back in January and notified a teacher immediately without moving or touching the weapon. 

Stuteville walked KTAB and KRBC through the incident, explaining that both he and the school principal open carry on campus. 

When he was using the restroom, Stuteville says he took the gun off and placed it in a stall, where it was then left unattended for around 15 minutes until it was found by the student. 

“There was never a danger other than the obvious,” Stuteville claimed. 

He then went on to say he was “proud” of the student and commended his behavior after finding the firearm.

This is one of those examples of guns in schools.” Stuteville said. “Regardless of who takes responsibility, they are a considerable danger and one should school their child to be on the lookout for any unusual placement of a weapon or anything out of place.”

Thursday night, Stuteville says the Rising Star School Board is meeting to discuss the incident. This is at least their 2nd meeting on the matter. 

In the meantime, Superintendent Stuteville is no longer bringing his weapon to school. 

Rising Star Police Chief Don Braly confirmed there is an active investigation that began Wednesday after his office was notified of the incident.

Chief Braly says the Eastland County Sheriff’s Office took a phone call, and that was the first time anyone had alerted law enforcement, despite the gun being found in January. 

KTAB and KRBC asked Chief Braly if there is also an investigation underway into the failure to report, and he said he is currently looking into the legalities.

Sounds like the school administration tried to cover up the incident. Let’s wait and see if small town Texas holds their own accountable.

• Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I will put this here, though it could also go in the destruction of education thread, because this superintendent ought to spend some time in jail. I guess we will see if our state believes in enforcing laws prohibiting leaving unsecured firearms where children are present.

RISING STAR, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – A 3rd grader in Rising Star found a gun the superintendent left in a school bathroom.

Sounds like the school administration tried to cover up the incident. Let’s wait and see if small town Texas holds their own accountable.

I am very much a 2A advocate, but that is a huge fuck-up.  There should be consequences for the Superintendent.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/14/2023 at 12:34 AM, Hookah Horns said:

The best part is when the Rs blame the "Democrat run cities" for violence while they do shit like this. 

It’s good to remember that typically the GOP benefits from high crime rates. Especially when it’s high crime rates that are mostly on TV.

3 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I a bit surprised there is a third grader left in Rising Star, that place was a dying shithole back when I lived in the Big Country. I can’t imagine what it’s like now. 

On 2/11/2023 at 2:03 PM, Satchel said:

I think the only viable avenue for some gun control to be enacted is to frame it as protecting law enforcement and get them on board with it. I can't imagine cops would want people to have assault rifles either, regardless of age, but allowing teenagers to walk around town with one is just lunacy. There has to be some middle ground there to be found to create a real push for change and have the LEOs and their unions on board.

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think the only viable avenue for some gun control to be enacted is to frame it as protecting law enforcement and get them on board with it. I can't imagine cops would want people to have assault rifles either, regardless of age, but allowing teenagers to walk around town with one is just lunacy. There has to be some middle ground there to be found to create a real push for change and have the LEOs and their unions on board.

I might be wrong, but I think police and their unions are already on the record opposing laws that put more guns in more hands. Here's a story about cop associations speaking out against permit-less open carry laws.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/texas-police-associations-against-permitless-gun-carrying-speak-at-texas-capitol-on-tuesday/amp/

And we all saw the reluctance to confront the Uvalde fuck, armed with a weapon of war.

R gun nuts don’t give af about the threat to police, much less to the general citizenry.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Ya, not even that shit matters to MAGA 2A assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Don't fret.  He'll show up on Fox, rant about how the "woke mob" ran him out of education, probably to "protect the groomers and communists who want to indoctrinate our children," and he'll be elected to political office within the next 24 months.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I guarantee the school board already wanted the superintendent gone and this was a great excuse. A west Texas town of 800 doesn't care that much about an unattended gun to get rid of someone they like.

on a side note, I'm adding Rising Star to my mental list of Texas towns that I've never heard of until something newsworthy occurs there.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Starting at the six minute mark, it's almost unfair.

Jon was out of his league well before they sat down.   Guy is a Dunning-Kruger poster child for thinking he could match wits with Stewart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, Post Oak said:

Jon Stewart 

Just came here to post this interview.  JS is a righteous dude, between 9/11 and this.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:11 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Starting at the six minute mark, it's almost unfair.

This.  It ends after the drag show v. gun deaths part.  I have to wonder if the guy just bailed at that point. 

Edited by Bullneck

And to think Texans have the nerve to look down our noses at Alabama and Mississippi:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2023/03/09/texas-leads-us-in-white-supremacist-propaganda-distribution-as-incidents-peak-nationwide/

White supremacist groups spread more propaganda in Texas than any other state in 2022, according to a report released Thursday by the Anti-Defamation League.

The state accounted for 527 incidents of propaganda — including public events hosted by white supremacists and the distribution of hateful fliers, posters and banners — out of a nationwide total of 6,751, according to the report. The Texas figures represented a 61% increase from 2021..

• Rage+1 1

This is the latest one I’m watching.  Happened in my neighborhood.  A grandpa walked into the school and then back out to the car to wait for pickup. While waiting he lost his temper with a woman who drove her golf cart and parked in front of him.  He got so angry he escalated it with a man telling him not to lose his shit over a golf cart and pistol whipped him with a loaded gun.

He gets tackled by another parent and arrested by the police but their release to press calls it a “traffic incident”

School goes on lockdown and I’m at home noticing my son is not in the door so I walk up there to see all the police cars.  Kids are traumatized and think a guy with a gun was trying to get in their school.  Apparently married to a high sales real estate agent and files for indigent status and gets a public defender.

image.thumb.png.7ef8404415ae64a437a1aaa5d1fe22c6.png

Guys like this think they are entitled to carry anywhere they want, use it to start and escalate an argument because they feel they should be enforcing traffic or parking violations and they are emboldened by people getting away with it in other places.  The Texas “Constitutional Carry” law just sets us up for grandpas going nuts at the School pickup line like it’s Dodge City.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

At this point I a, convinced the barrel of an ar15 or pistol how these men pleasure themselves.

The other thing I noticed is the fatal shootings with kids seems to get reported often but kids shooting a gun without hitting anyone rarely gets reported. I wonder how many of those incidents are really happening.

6 hours ago, Nivek said:

At this point I a, convinced the barrel of an ar15 or pistol how these men pleasure themselves.

The other thing I noticed is the fatal shootings with kids seems to get reported often but kids shooting a gun without hitting anyone rarely gets reported. I wonder how many of those incidents are really happening.

all the damn time. same with adults accidentally discharging their weapons. no one hurt? oh well, we'll do better next time. only next time is a dead toddler

• Rage+1 1