2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

Anwar scrimmage notes 

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns recently concluded its second scrimmage. The staff will add to this thread throughout the day as more information comes in, but here is what we know so far:

--- Texas used its practice field instead of the stadium on Saturday. UT students are moving into their dorms this weekend and there will be a large event at the stadium on Sunday. 

--- Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers had a strong performance as a starter on Saturday. Ewers started the scrimmage with a huge bomb that was caught by Xavier Worthy. I was told it was a 60-yard completion. Ewers completed the drive with a touchdown pass to Ja’Tavion Sanders. 

--- In addition, Sanders one person in attendance was in awe of Sanders’ physique. 

--- Overall, I was told Ewers had a good day. Ewers threw a pick-6 that Sarkisian that infuriated Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian in the moment. However, Ewers made up for that mistake with good passes throughout the scrimmage. The good news is Ewers shook off that mistake and kept going. 

--- Maalik Murphy did not play in the first scrimmage but received a few reps on Saturday. The early report is Murphy looked good when given the opportunity. 

--- Hudson Card ran with the 2s on Saturday. The backups are a work in progress and Card did not have a chance to shine with that unit. 

--- The defensive line had another impressive performance against Texas’ offensive line. This has been the theme of training camp so far.

--- We continue to hear Ethan Burke’s name mentioned as a pass rusher. Burke has gained a lot of weight and could find a home in the two-deep if he continues to improve. He is a work in progress but flashed when given an opportunity on Saturday. 

--- One source described Longhorn linebacker Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey as “fun and high energy” after the scrimmage performance. 

--- This is for members of the Michael Taaffe fan club - he ran with the 2s on Saturday and his performance was impressive. 

We will update you throughout the day.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

In addition, Sanders one person in attendance was in awe of Sanders’ physique. 

--- Overall, I was told Ewers had a good day. Ewers threw a pick-6 that Sarkisian that infuriated Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian in the moment.

God forbid any of these guys reread something before posting it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

If that banks thing isn’t real I am going to make it my life’s mission to neg that poster every day until the end of time.

Dude, the picture of the article is Kelvin Banks and one of the first bullet points is he limped off the field during the scrimmage with a lower body injury. Didn’t know the severity.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Dude, the picture of the article is Kelvin Banks and one of the first bullet points is he limped off the field during the scrimmage with a lower body injury. Didn’t know the severity.

I thought your friend told you but you didn't have the article..

Suchomel scrimmage notes

Spoiler

From Suchomel)

A few notes after talking to multiple sources ...

Ewers, for the most part, looked pretty good. Had a nice bomb to Casey Cain for a TD in the left corner. I’m told Cain continues to look good. Ewers dropped it into the bucket, perfectly placed pass.

After that nice ball, Ewers went out and threw an INT on an underthrown ball to Brenen Thompson into the wind. That ball hung up a bit. The source I communicated with believed it was JD Coffey that picked it off but he wasn’t 100-percent sure.

Ewers followed that INT with another good drive after that, so it sounds like it was a bit of an up-and-down day. Case in point …

Ewers did have a pick six to Kitan Crawford, but also had a nice TD throw to Gunnar Helm up the middle.

--- One source described Jordan Whittington as “a beast.” He said Whittington made some great plays after the catch.

--- No surprise, but Bijan Robinson apparently looked good and made some plays.

--- Didn’t get a ton of detail on Hudson Card from the sources I talked to, but one person said he looked “pretty good” overall.

--- Bert Auburn had the edge today at kicker per one source. Will Stone has a strong leg, I’m told, but missed two medium range attempts. Auburn hit a big kick to end practice from 45+ yards.

--- Ovie had a sack toward the end of practice.

--- Cam Williams got dinged up but came back in. Knock on wood, but it doesn’t sound like there’s any big concern there.

--- Xavier Worthy had a long gain from Ewers on the first drive. The offense finished that drive off with a TD.

--- One person said he didn’t think Sark was overly pleased with the entire day. He apparently had a moment with the team on his own at the end of practice.

--- I’m told the OL looked solid. One source said Ewers got harassed a bit, but did a good job of throwing the ball away. When he did have an INT, it was mostly on downfield throws so those mistakes really weren’t really on the OL.

--- Ewers had a nice ball to wide receiver Gabe Sulser for a decent gain.

--- Keilan Robinson had a couple decent carries, per one source.

--- Maalik Murphy got run with the 3s and had a couple nice throws. He hit a backup WR on a nice crossing route but it was dropped. One person I talked to said Murphy was moving around pretty well and shows no signs of the injury he was recovering from in the spring.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Suchomel scrimmage notes

Hide contents

From Suchomel)

A few notes after talking to multiple sources ...

Ewers, for the most part, looked pretty good. Had a nice bomb to Casey Cain for a TD in the left corner. I’m told Cain continues to look good. Ewers dropped it into the bucket, perfectly placed pass.

After that nice ball, Ewers went out and threw an INT on an underthrown ball to Brenen Thompson into the wind. That ball hung up a bit. The source I communicated with believed it was JD Coffey that picked it off but he wasn’t 100-percent sure.

Ewers followed that INT with another good drive after that, so it sounds like it was a bit of an up-and-down day. Case in point …

Ewers did have a pick six to Kitan Crawford, but also had a nice TD throw to Gunnar Helm up the middle.

--- One source described Jordan Whittington as “a beast.” He said Whittington made some great plays after the catch.

--- No surprise, but Bijan Robinson apparently looked good and made some plays.

--- Didn’t get a ton of detail on Hudson Card from the sources I talked to, but one person said he looked “pretty good” overall.

--- Bert Auburn had the edge today at kicker per one source. Will Stone has a strong leg, I’m told, but missed two medium range attempts. Auburn hit a big kick to end practice from 45+ yards.

--- Ovie had a sack toward the end of practice.

--- Cam Williams got dinged up but came back in. Knock on wood, but it doesn’t sound like there’s any big concern there.

--- Xavier Worthy had a long gain from Ewers on the first drive. The offense finished that drive off with a TD.

--- One person said he didn’t think Sark was overly pleased with the entire day. He apparently had a moment with the team on his own at the end of practice.

--- I’m told the OL looked solid. One source said Ewers got harassed a bit, but did a good job of throwing the ball away. When he did have an INT, it was mostly on downfield throws so those mistakes really weren’t really on the OL.

--- Ewers had a nice ball to wide receiver Gabe Sulser for a decent gain.

--- Keilan Robinson had a couple decent carries, per one source.

--- Maalik Murphy got run with the 3s and had a couple nice throws. He hit a backup WR on a nice crossing route but it was dropped. One person I talked to said Murphy was moving around pretty well and shows no signs of the injury he was recovering from in the spring.

Again, nothing on Banks. Williams, but not Banks

That wasn’t limping. That’s him dragging his huge nuts with him while he dunks on all the upperclass O and D linemen.
  • Haha 2