Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

10 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Does anyone else think this arguing about how good Ewers today is kinda pointless? In about 28 hours we will all know how good Ewers is. I think tomorrow will tell us more about him than some of the games he played in. If Malik makes sarks offense look like an easy juggernaut driving the field….or if we lose and both Malik/ arch play..there’s the answer to Ewers value. If Malik starts hitting the open receivers in stride or hits more than one bomb to worthy..

I think Quinn is damn good at times. Despite some of his hyperbole though @ztejas had some good points. People do seem to want to simply gloss over the things Quinn struggles with for some reason. He has bad feel for the pocket, he’s late at times, he’s inaccurate at times and he doesn’t make read progression. He settles for check downs very very often. All that stuff adds up and keeps him from being this truly elite guy that people want to treat him as. Even with all that he’s still one of the 20 or so best QBs in college football right now.

He also has an incredible number of weapons and exceptional play design. If he can fix his flaws then there’s a star. MM will probably struggle, he certainly ain’t better than Quinn at this point, but that doesn’t mean Quinn shouldn’t be playing better than he is. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think the argument will ever end for some. Say Maalik does really well Saturday. We win and great stats and all that. People will say it’s just one game, BYU is inferior opponent, Sark scripted a great game and dumbed it down for him. He goes out there and plays poorly and Arch comes in…that will probably end the comparisons for most. But some will say it’s his first game and also not fair. I judge Quinn based on games he plays in. Of course he will be missed regardless as most want him to heal up soon and get back to playing. I also think IT very much wants Arch out there and to bypass Maalik entirely. 

I am glad that we held on to Maalik as Ewers has been hurt two years running missing more than one game. I hope Maalik balls out and we don’t drop any games. Hopefully, we don’t have to cross the bridge of “if he doesn’t…”

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t think the argument will ever end for some. Say Maalik does really well Saturday. We win and great stats and all that. People will say it’s just one game, BYU is inferior opponent, Sark scripted a great game and dumbed it down for him. He goes out there and plays poorly and Arch comes in…that will probably end the comparisons for most. But some will say it’s his first game and also not fair. I judge Quinn based on games he plays in. Of course he will be missed regardless as most want him to heal up soon and get back to playing. I also think IT very much wants Arch out there and to bypass Maalik entirely. 

I am glad that we held on to Maalik as Ewers has been hurt two years running missing more than one game. I hope Maalik balls out and we don’t drop any games. Hopefully, we don’t have to cross the bridge of “if he doesn’t…”

I still buy into the old adage that a starting QB will a decent amount of success shouldn't lose his job due to injury.  There are some exceptions, and I think that would require Quinn missing a few games and Maalik and the offense balling out in every one.  

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I still buy into the old adage that a starting QB will a decent amount of success shouldn't lose his job due to injury.  There are some exceptions, and I think that would require Quinn missing a few games and Maalik and the offense balling out in every one.  

True. It all depends on his progress with rehabbing and when can he play. He hasn’t lost the job. He just can’t play. That may change or Maalik/Arch are just a placeholder until he returns. If MM/AM ball out and it’s a few games I guess we cross that bridge when we come to it. But yeah, he hasn’t lost his job at this point in time. 

This being the QE thread and not the Texas football one—I understand the uncertainty around the QB position. But it he’s out a few games and we don’t lose any it won’t bother me if we continue to roll with Maalik/Arch and QE doesn’t play. I’d hope Sark makes the right decision. 

Edited by Nicole44

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

am glad that we held on to Maalik as Ewers has been hurt two years running missing more than one game. I hope Maalik balls out and we don’t drop any games. Hopefully, we don’t have to cross the bridge of “if he doesn’t…”

Going back thru high school, when was the last season when Ewers played that he didn't suffer an injury??

He had a sports hernia surgery in 2020 while still in high school...

https://247sports.com/article/quinn-ewers-ohio-state-buckeyes-recruiting-texas-high-school-foo-157804074/

20 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Arch Manning’s “people” ... Told him to play all four years of college before going pro...  to sit and learn ... to graduate and also to play his whole time here. To learn under Sark. 

I think Arch’s people are giving him better advice than Quinn’s people and Arch’s people actually know what the fuck they are talking about and have the receipts to back it up. 

Most good HCs have said (bc I read and watch the draft) they don’t like it when a QB leaves early. Period.

19 hours ago, Thatguy said:

As soon as QE gets in front of scouts and gets a workout in his draft stock will likely rise. Dude can sling it on the money effortlessly from all kinds of platforms with velocity and touch. 

Vince was given bad advice and left after his Junior year. Andrew Luck was given good advice and played his Senior year. Oliver Luck, his father (NFL QB & UT, JD '87), asked his son if he was ready to commit himself 100% to being an NFL quarterback, spending every waking moment to getting better at his craft, living right, eating right, lifting, watching film, and learning from his coaches.  If he wasn't 100% ready, stay in school until you get all that other shit out of your system. 

There is a long list college QB's with phenomenal talent and great skill sets that were immature as NFL rookies and made poor decisions right out of the gate.

19 hours ago, ztejas said:

Quinn has shown me nothing to believe that he'll be a good NFL QB. He will get drafted highly because of what you said about his workout profile. 

Sorry Zeet... you must have been yacking in the can when this happened.  This is one of the most iconic throws and catches in the history of football. Period.

image.png.0c2426cde42c64ea8324ceabdc0dbbc1.png 

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

I can't wait until Sark gets a real QB under center and all of you realize how fucking ridiculous ...

Teams run dime packages against Quinn because they know he isn't good enough to beat them. He doesn't read shit. He doesn't throw guys open. He has a nice completion % because he checks the ball down all the time. 

The sooner we move on from this guy the sooner y'all are going to realize that Sark knows what he's doing. I hope it starts this weekend. 

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

And fuck me, man. I like Quinn.  We've certainly had worse QBs on the 40.

I just don't think he's the guy. I've seen enough at this point. Y'all keep saying he hasn't started that many games like he isn't running out of time here. 

And I'll keep saying that I think ... y'all are going to forget about QE real quick. 

I met you Zeet. Funny, almost no resemblance to Yogi Berra, and yet ...   "He isn't good enough to beat them, so let's play 3 deep safeties and drop 8 in coverage so he can't throw downfield and has to check the ball down."

QE finished 19 for 19 against OU and started 14 for 15 against UH, the one incompletion being a batted ball at the line of scrimmage. F*CKING RIDICULOUS!!!

Pre-snap read, catch ball, read defense, anticipate reaction, throw ball to wide open receiver, hit receiver in the hands, repeat as necessary.

Certainly had worse? Ya think? 33 for 34 not good enough for you? That's setting an expectation that's near impossible to achieve. 

I have James Streets autograph and saw Vince play for 3 years, in High School. I will never forget what QE has already done in his short 1 and 1/2 years on campus.

16 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Man. You really dislike this guy. Here is the thing my guy... 

Teams aren't just running dime packages, they are running 3 deep safeties and ... The issue isn't Sark or Quinn. The real issue is we can't just line up and bully them out of lining up with a 3 man front running the football. We keep busting assignments in the run game allowing teams to stay in that defense. My hope is that with Murph teams will start trying to take away the run game by overloading the box and he will get more open space to throw the football.

Thank you for being Thatguy, someone who understands what they are watching.

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

All good points. Except your weird fascination with me disliking him. I like whoever puts up numbers and wins games. 

I'm standing firmly by my position that we can do better. And I think we will. I think our sets would look more effective and make the D sweat more if we had a QB running them properly. 

He just doesn't find big gains or make big plays in the passing game when it isn't a designed play or read. And I don't know what the YAC breakdown is for this season but it has to be at least half his passing yards.

The one time he had Worthy one on one, he threw another PERFECT pass that hit him in stride and he ran untouched for a TD.  I'm pretty sure all 80 yard TD passes involve some YAC. Why is that an issue? Do you have a Greg Davis fetish about throwing to flat footed statues?

9 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are weird man so I am going to put you all in one post. Up top it is said that even in completed passes receivers are often skying for the the ball. Where? He threw a 50/50 ball to Mitchell in the Bama game that he caught. Who else has caught anything like that this year? Worthy hasn't caught a ball like that in the last 2.

You guys just take things for granted. The guy rarely misses short to intermediate throws.  He throws the middle of the field better than anyone that I see in CFB. We struggle vs one style of defense. Just so happens a lot of the teams we play against employ it. However, look at how Quinn has played vs anyone willing to not have 3 safeties over the top of our receivers.

On throws like that (go fight for the jump ball) we've made this year only one person has come down with one. Quinn has made some spectacular throws that we have dropped as well. First example is the throw up the sideline to Worthy vs Bama that he fit between two defenders that would've been a TD if not for the drop.

Now for the sake of comparison let's look at Quinn vs the two best defenses he has played with 4 down linemen, Bama and OU, because that's what you are going to see in the NFL.  I want you to notice there are not that many errant throws. In fact, some of the aforementioned "high throws" had to be that way in order to get over hands or defenders underneath.  QE is throwing a pretty accurate ball from all kinds of platforms here. We are all emotional about these games and tend to misremember how they went. Let me reiterate. QE only struggles vs the 3 high look, and no team should be able to run that on us with the RBs we've had the last two years. Anyone else we've played the last 2 years who didn't employ it got lit the fuck up. QE, when not facing the flyover, is 132-186(70.96%) 1712 yards 11 TDs 3ints. That is why everyone we play is rolling out the flyover. They would rather face Brooks and the running game than Ewers. You guys may think QE is mediocre, but opposing DCs disagree.

Thank you again, Sir.   QE is not the issue. 

Getting 2 yards in 2 rushes against a 3-8 defense (wth?) is an OL issue, and calling a slow developing, low percentage 6 yard pass play requiring YAC is a coaching issue.

Murphy's first pass should have been a butterfly ending, confidence building, 1st down dump off to Brooks in the flat, not a 3rd and long that he Elway'd 3 yards behind the receiver.  That is a bad coaching issue.

Edited by PTINS
typo. text.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

Jesus Christ. I like Quinn, I’m enjoying his time on the 40 because I’ve seen squints, Tyrone Swoopes, Jerrod heard, Casey Thompson, and Hudson card step on the field.

And idk if who comes after Quinn is going to be Vince Young or Tyrone Swoopes. So yeah, I’ll continue to root for the dude.

Quinn says Jesus Christ doesn't care who wins football games.

https://twitter.com/Sports_Spectrum/status/1706662101954306213

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Have you watch the play since? It was an RPO. He bellies the ball to the RB until he gets the OLB to bite in the run game and then he throws it around him. Watch the play. He bellies. pulls. turns and throws. There is no time in between. He threw it as quick as a right handed QB can throw a ball to his left. The LB was kinda sitting in the route so if he doesn't throw it high there is a good chance it gets batted down or picked. It would've been a tough catch but receivers make tough catches all the time. The bottom pic the red circle is the football.

Ewers does tend to throw balls erring towards preventing interceptions. He doesn't always succeed though as he often lags on crossing routes and slants, as well as some downfield throws. But you see him leading receivers often enough to tell that he's trying to prevent interceptions. And in this instance, he had to clear that LB.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Perhaps the reason most DCs are now going out of their way to stop the passing game and giving Texas honest boxes is because of the growth at the QB spot. That would seem to be the simple explanation. 

He has more and better weapons too. AD Mitchell, and a more seasoned Sanders and Worthy. So, clearly a more dangerous passing game. They can't just focus on Worthy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

1:11 mark of the below video. I am confused here. How do you expect him to throw that if he doesn't square himself around? His feet are pointing left. I also have 1.07 seconds from the time he sticks the ball in the RBs stomach until he releases it. In a pocket surrounded by 6'5 guys it looks a lot different than from our birdseye view. He has to throw that all at least a little high. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

The argument of "he shouldn't have set his feet" is coming from what Herbstreit said on the broadcast after they came back from commercial break. You're arguing with someone who would have apparently preferred that QE throw over the middle into a small window with his right foot in front of his left foot & who would have criticized that throw when it was way off instead of hitting his TE in the hands. His TE that slowed down on the route and drifted (notice the hop skip at the 6) while QE was throwing & then proceeded to not catch the ball cleanly. It was a good play by the OU safety but it should have been a TD.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Thank you again, Sir.   QE is not the issue. 
Getting 2 yards in 2 rushes against a 3-8 defense (wth?) is an OL issue, and calling a slow developing, low percentage 6 yard pass play requiring YAC is a coaching issue.
Murphy's first pass should have been a butterfly ending, confidence building, 1st down dump off to Brooks in the flat, not a 3rd and long that he Elway'd 3 yards behind the receiver.  That is a bad coaching issue.

To assume that a defense will never stuff their opponent is a You issue.

You also seem to indicate that Murphys failed first pass was coaching. He had Brooks off the right side. Also, he had Worthy right in front at the sticks. That was a Murphy issue.

Ewers is playing well. He’s 1-1 in games in which he was needed most. He turned it over 3 times in one. The first set the tone for the entire game. He missed two potential TDs once he broke the pocket versus OU. You can quote all the completions but tell the whole story. He’s not made a play several times that ended a drive. Just like his teammates. It’s a collective effort.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yea, the idea that Sark is the sole reason why bad passes get thrown or Ewers went deep so often last year was baffling to me. There are ALWAYS other options for the QB to take. It's a progression read offense. The QBs who do best in it are the ones who make their way through the progressions fast enough. It is Sark's job to call the plays that optimize the reads his current QB is most capable of making.

Quinn is much better about not forcing the deep ball this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PTINS said:

Vince was given bad advice and left after his Junior year. Andrew Luck was given good advice and played his Senior year. Oliver Luck, his father (NFL QB & UT, JD '87), asked his son if he was ready to commit himself 100% to being an NFL quarterback, spending every waking moment to getting better at his craft, living right, eating right, lifting, watching film, and learning from his coaches.  If he wasn't 100% ready, stay in school until you get all that other shit out of your system. 

Vince's advice was bad from a football perspective, but in the pre-NIL era, I'm pretty sure there were other considerations that a Manning or a Luck has the luxury of not worrying about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Vince was drafted #3 - he likely never goes higher.

His limited success in the NFL was due partly to his immaturity and mostly for playing for the most average head coach of all time, who didn't want him from the start.

Entering the draft was the right decision for Vince, as his #3 overall pick and associated contract/signing bonus can attest too.

Edited by Fico
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fico said:

His limited success in the NFL was due partly to his immaturity and mostly for playing for the most average head coach of all time, who didn't want him from the start.

Entering the draft was the right decision for Vince, as his #3 overall pick and associated contract/signing bonus can attest too.

“Average” is being generous

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fico said:

Looking back at those old rookie contracts, got damn they were awful for teams.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hook me said:

The argument of "he shouldn't have set his feet" is coming from what Herbstreit said on the broadcast after they came back from commercial break. You're arguing with someone who would have apparently preferred that QE throw over the middle into a small window with his right foot in front of his left foot & who would have criticized that throw when it was way off instead of hitting his TE in the hands. His TE that slowed down on the route and drifted (notice the hop skip at the 6) while QE was throwing & then proceeded to not catch the ball cleanly. It was a good play by the OU safety but it should have been a TD.

Agreed 100%. I don't listen to broadcasts so I didn't catch that. Makes sense now. Broadcasters sometimes have agendas.

6 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Does anyone else think this arguing about how good Ewers today is kinda pointless? In about 28 hours we will all know how good Ewers is. I think tomorrow will tell us more about him than some of the games he played in. If Malik makes sarks offense look like an easy juggernaut driving the field….or if we lose and both Malik/ arch play..there’s the answer to Ewers value. If Malik starts hitting the open receivers in stride or hits more than one bomb to worthy..

That’s fair 

15 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You guys are weird man so I am going to put you all in one post. Up top it is said that even in completed passes receivers are often skying for the the ball. Where? He threw a 50/50 ball to Mitchell in the Bama game that he caught. Who else has caught anything like that this year? Worthy hasn't caught a ball like that in the last 2.

You guys just take things for granted. The guy rarely misses short to intermediate throws.  He throws the middle of the field better than anyone that I see in CFB. We struggle vs one style of defense. Just so happens a lot of the teams we play against employ it. However, look at how Quinn has played vs anyone willing to not have 3 safeties over the top of our receivers.

Penix below threw it 37 times for 309 yards and only 2 balls were thrown between the hashes. Both of them slants. Penix is in a wide open offensive system that forces defenses to be 1v1 all the time. He is rarely ever fitting balls into coverage windows. His throws, while great, are 90% one on one coverage. The video below is all his throws vs Oregon. He throws some absolute darts. However, he sails balls long and wide all the time. He also throws some "trust" balls that his receivers come down with. On throws like that we've made this year only one person has come down with one. Quinn has made some spectacular throws that we have dropped as well. First example is the throw up the sideline to Worthy vs Bama that he fit between two defenders that would've been a TD if not for the drop.

Now for the sake of comparison lets look at Quinn vs the two best defenses he has played with 4 down linemen, Bama and OU. I say that because that's what you are going to see in the NFL. No one is going to run 3 down and drop 8 every play in the NFL because they would get mauled in the run game. So these are the kinds of defenses you would see him go against. These are every throw vs OU and Bama. I want you to notice there are not that many errant throws. In fact, some of the aforementioned "high throws" had to be that way in order to get over hands or defenders underneath. The Sanders throw in the OU game had to be where it was or it gets batted down when you see the behind the QB view. QE is throwing a pretty accurate ball from all kinds of platforms here. We are all emotional about these games and tend to misremember how they went. Let me reiterate. QE only struggles vs the 3 high look, and no team should be able to run that on us with the RBs we've had the last two years. Anyone else we've played the last 2 years who didn't employ it got lit the fuck up. QE, when not facing the flyover, is 132-186(70.96%) 1712 yards 11 TDs 3ints. That is why everyone we play is rolling out the flyover. They would rather face Brooks and the running game than Ewers. You guys may think QE is mediocre, but opposing DCs disagree.

I'm starting to think that there's a lot of people on here that only watch highlights of other games and see all the pretty little throws and catches ...  They done see the missed throws to open receivers, they don't see the over throws, and assume that all the other QBs are going deep 35 for 35 every game.

Quinn's accuracy from any angle has  been a huge factor all season.  He misses throws like every single person who's ever played QB has done also.  But he makes throws from arm angles that not many others can make. 

Vince and Colt are god's.  Vince without his legs is just another above average QB who's played college ball.   Colt accuracy was generational.  It helped having Shipley that would catch anything withing 10 of him.  He'd go up and catch some balls way over his head.... and Colt had plenty of interceptions also.   

Name one true freshman who's started at Texas (or anywhere if you like) that's been light years ahead of Quinn 14 games into their college career.  It's not a long list. There's been plenty who have come in that have been on par with Quinn and plenty who had a rough start.  Plenty of those turned out pretty good.  Yes, johnny fuckin football...  Johnny boy didn't give two shits about aggy, much less about playing for aggy or not, which makes it so much easier to play the games as if it's just another back yard Sunday afternoon. Run around until you are finally in trouble, then chuck it down field in Evan's general location. 

I'm not sure we've had a QB since Colt who would have us 6 - 1 this season. Much less their Sophomore year.  He's not perfect by any means, but he should be 2- 0 against Alabama and OU.    He handed OU it's biggest loss against us in a 49 to zip woodshed....  He lit up OU in a three point loss that came down to shitty red zone play calling, and shitty 2 min defense. 

He hasn't hit the long ball like some have this year, but most of them haven't hit the other throws or avoided the turnovers like Quinn has either, which is much more important than the deep ball. Even this year's golden boy has been benched.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fico said:

Wut? If he comes back for his senior season we beat Ohio state again, we mud hole Oklahoma, we dog walk Alabama for back to back titles and he most certainly wins the heisman. He goes 1,1 if he comes back for another year. Bad take and you should feel bad. Haha jk but seriously. 

1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

I'm starting to think that there's a lot of people on here that only watch highlights of other games and see all the pretty little throws and catches ...  They done see the missed throws to open receivers, they don't see the over throws, and assume that all the other QBs are going deep 35 for 35 every game.

Quinn's accuracy from any angle has  been a huge factor all season.  He misses throws like every single person who's ever played QB has done also.  But he makes throws from arm angles that not many others can make. 

Vince and Colt are god's.  Vince without his legs is just another above average QB who's played college ball.   Colt accuracy was generational.  It helped having Shipley that would catch anything withing 10 of him.  He'd go up and catch some balls way over his head.... and Colt had plenty of interceptions also.   

Name one true freshman who's started at Texas (or anywhere if you like) that's been light years ahead of Quinn 14 games into their college career.  It's not a long list. There's been plenty who have come in that have been on par with Quinn and plenty who had a rough start.  Plenty of those turned out pretty good.  Yes, johnny fuckin football...  Johnny boy didn't give two shits about aggy, much less about playing for aggy or not, which makes it so much easier to play the games as if it's just another back yard Sunday afternoon. Run around until you are finally in trouble, then chuck it down field in Evan's general location. 

I'm not sure we've had a QB since Colt who would have us 6 - 1 this season. Much less their Sophomore year.  He's not perfect by any means, but he should be 2- 0 against Alabama and OU.    He handed OU it's biggest loss against us in a 49 to zip woodshed....  He lit up OU in a three point loss that came down to shitty red zone play calling, and shitty 2 min defense. 

He hasn't hit the long ball like some have this year, but most of them haven't hit the other throws or avoided the turnovers like Quinn has either, which is much more important than the deep ball. Even this year's golden boy has been benched.  

This guy fuckin gets it!!

10 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

That's not necessarily the case. All our QBs could be good. Seriously.

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

Yea, the idea that Sark is the sole reason why bad passes get thrown or Ewers went deep so often last year was baffling to me. There are ALWAYS other options for the QB to take. It's a progression read offense. The QBs who do best in it are the ones who make their way through the progressions fast enough. It is Sark's job to call the plays that optimize the reads his current QB is most capable of making.

Quinn is much better about not forcing the deep ball this year.

I'm with those who think he's playing a much better game this year. But everyone keeps saying Sark runs a progression-read offense, I rarely see Quinn going through progressions. It seems like he already has it figured out who he is going to throw the ball to when he gets to the line. He certainly doesn't look off a defender, or throw open a receiver, plays I see a lot of other top-tier QB's routinely make. That has been the most frustrating thing for me to see, even though we are winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

This just isn’t valid. TCU started their freshman Qb vs BYU and he absolutely lit them up. He went out the next week and lost 45-3 to KSU. Quinn lit up Bama for a quarter, then OU, and 2 games later OSU happened. Lots of QBs come out and have good games, but then tape comes out. DC find the weakness and that is when you find out if a QB has staying power. Most of them can not adapt and make changes 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Name one true freshman who's started at Texas (or anywhere if you like) that's been light years ahead of Quinn 14 games into their college career.  It's not a long list. There's been plenty who have come in that have been on par with Quinn and plenty who had a rough start.  Plenty of those turned out pretty good.

Quinn is not a true freshman, he's a sophomore, 14 games or not. He's been through two fall camps. He won the starting position splitting reps in the first fall camp, named the starter and both started and ended the season as the starter. His second full camp he was the unquestioned starter and did not split reps. So he should look better than most true freshman, and he does.

On the flip side, how much better might he have done his freshman season if Neyor hadn't been injured? Another downfield threat not named Worthy with a big catch radius with a track record of making contested catches. We'll never know but it's doubtfull opposing DC's could have focused on taking Worthy out of the game with impunity.

3 hours ago, DreadHead said:

I'm with those who think he's playing a much better game this year. But everyone keeps saying Sark runs a progression-read offense, I rarely see Quinn going through progressions. It seems like he already has it figured out who he is going to throw the ball to when he gets to the line. He certainly doesn't look off a defender, or throw open a receiver, plays I see a lot of other top-tier QB's routinely make. That has been the most frustrating thing for me to see, even though we are winning. 

He doesn’t read past progression one often seldom two, unless it’s OU or Alabama other receivers aren’t included in the offense or is that just actually play calling?   (It’s both I think) There are plenty of other receivers open often but he definitely doesn’t see them.  Progression of reads I don’t think anyone can say that’s a Ewers strong point.  But again he has started how many college and high school games from this point?   To me it’s dumb if he goes pro now unable to read and progress college defenses, but the NFL scouts just see talent evidently.    Yes high percentage competition ect, what’s the percentage when the ball goes 20 yards atleast?  Plenty of talent at WR but for some reason In 3-6. 3-8 yards to go we run or throw deep?  we evidently can’t or don’t know how to run a slant, curl, cross route, ect with that talent we have those should be almost automatic.   Unpopular opinion Ewers go pro this year he washes out really fast.  

Edited by Hook1997

Going back thru high school, when was the last season when Ewers played that he didn't suffer an injury??
He had a sports hernia surgery in 2020 while still in high school...

https://247sports.com/article/quinn-ewers-ohio-state-buckeyes-recruiting-texas-high-school-foo-157804074/

And???

Is this supposed to support the injury prone argument? “Injury prone” is such a hot take for some reason. There is no medical condition that makes one more susceptible to hernias, fractured clavicles and AC sprains.

The injury prone thing is also dumb because a main piece of “evidence” is his collar bone breaking when some Bama monster DL drove him into the ground with a dirty, violent, penalized hit. A fuckton of humans would have the same injury from that play.

19 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

People do seem to want to simply gloss over the things Quinn struggles with for some reason.

the reason: Texas fans. i remember when quinn committed how all of my friends who follow recruiting were basically acting like we’d just signed tom brady, when in fact we’d simply gotten a verbal commit from some doughy, goofy looking 26 year old kid from SLC. from the day he verbally committed to Texas our fans talked about him the way beano cook talked about ron pawlus. it was as if quinn’s commitment was a guarantee of heisman trophies and national titles. our fans never learn.

nope, no matter how many 5*, can’t-miss studs we sign who flame out, or how many underrated 3* guys become AA’s and award winners, our fans will always cling to the next big commit as if VY is walking back through that door. and once that happens, it’s just easier for all of them to completely ignore reality/anything negative, lest their world view be shattered. easier to just keep deluding yourself than to admit that you got all of your hopes up only to be let down again (never mind that your irrationally high hopes are to blame for your disappointment much more so than QE and/or Sark).

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, scottsins said:

And???

Is this supposed to support the injury prone argument? “Injury prone” is such a hot take for some reason. There is no medical condition that makes one more susceptible to hernias, fractured clavicles and AC sprains.

The injury prone thing is also dumb because a main piece of “evidence” is his collar bone breaking when some Bama monster DL drove him into the ground with a dirty, violent, penalized hit. A fuckton of humans would have the same injury from that play.

The medical condition that makes you susceptible to AC joint injuries and broken clavicles is only weighing 190 lbs and playing football. He’s too small

8 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

He doesn’t read past progression one often seldom two, unless it’s OU or Alabama other receivers aren’t included in the offense or is that just actually play calling?   (It’s both I think) There are plenty of other receivers open often but he definitely doesn’t see them.  Progression of reads I don’t think anyone can say that’s a Ewers strong point.  But again he has started how many college and high school games from this point?   To me it’s dumb if he goes pro now unable to read and progress college defenses, but the NFL scouts just see talent evidently.    Yes high percentage competition ect, what’s the percentage when the ball goes 20 yards atleast?  Plenty of talent at WR but for some reason In 3-6. 3-8 yards to go we run or throw deep?  we evidently can’t or don’t know how to run a slant, curl, cross route, ect with that talent we have those should be almost automatic.   Unpopular opinion Ewers go pro this year he washes out really fast.  

So after a game where people were complaining that Quinn was checking down too much hitting his 3rd read, the story is he doesn’t get past his 1st read? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

So after a game where people were complaining that Quinn was checking down too much hitting his 3rd read, the story is he doesn’t get past his 1st read? 

There’s read one then a check down, call it what you want….  I’m not sure he’s ever actually made it to the third read and if you think so you don’t know much about football.  Sark even said in his press conference this week he didn’t go through his reads good last week. 

Edited by Hook1997

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Wasn’t he like 20 pounds heavier last year when he broke his clavicle?

I think he was 210, but it certainly wasn’t muscle. He needs to get bigger. There’s a reason Colt changed his body after his freshman year and it kept him healthy for all but one game the rest of his career.

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

He doesn’t make make it to his third read. He locks into his first read and then dumps the ball off if he doesn’t like it. How many plays have we seen this year where he dumps off or takes off running with his 2nd, 3rd, 4th options open downfield. He missed a TD in the OU game because he didn’t make his way through his reads.

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

He doesn’t make make it to his third read. He locks into his first read and then dumps the ball off if he doesn’t like it. How many plays have we seen this year where he dumps off or takes off running with his 2nd, 3rd, 4th options open downfield. He missed a TD in the OU game because he didn’t make his way through his reads.

This is you projecting.. there were a couple dump offs to Brooks that were a little late, if Brooks was #2 it wouldn’t have been late.. You are simply watching through your skewed lenses and fitting your opinion to the action.. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is you projecting.. there were a couple dump offs to Brooks that were a little late, if Brooks was #2 it wouldn’t have been late.. You are simply watching through your skewed lenses and fitting your opinion to the action.. 

Is Sark projecting also? Because he’s the one who said Quinn wasn’t going through his reads well. I’m watching a QB miss wide open receivers because he isn’t going through his reads. 

On 10/27/2023 at 6:20 AM, 52-80 said:

a good takeaway from this thread is that you can troll Thatguy into providing any Texas Football clip you want.  He's like a personal football youtube.  Just make a controversial statement about a particular play, player, or scheme and voila....video results w/ descriptions.

No, you have to already proven your incompetence for me to bite. So for example you could do it, but regular posters could not.