Texas Football 2022 - PFF Grades

Hiphopopotamos

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I noticed live Guilbeau struggling early with tackling and then Barron seemed to take over effectively. Looks like PFF agrees.

Also, Agiye got a snap? 

Texas doesn't list Hall on the participation report:  https://texassports.com/sports/football/stats/2022/alabama/boxscore/14708

PFF probably screwed up a jersey number.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm assuming that's when Card is out at WR when running the Ro-Cat offense.  

That’s what I figured, but was more just wondering what they would expect. Most of the time they just stand out there away from the play. Also, how does run blocking factor into their overall grade? Is every part weighted equally? Is it based on the number of snaps?

That’s what I figured, but was more just wondering what they would expect. Most of the time they just stand out there away from the play. Also, how does run blocking factor into their overall grade? Is every part weighted equally? Is it based on the number of snaps?

Probably not. Not sure if you’ve noticed, but you’ll see some overall grades lower than each of the individual grades. And vice versa I’d assume.

Don’t have the full grades, but some were posted on IT and our DL graded out extremely well. Sweat had a grade of 91 and Coburn was at a 86. Even Ovie had a grade of 77.

They also apparently had us down for 44 pressures on the 56 pass attempts, which is our highest total ever the last two years and twice the number of pressures than we had against Bama. Obviously the number of passes had some role in that but still a mind boggling stat considering how poorly we played.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

DL was strong on pressure imo, poor on finishing the play to have a big impact(missed tackles).

I know the game thread was all over the DL but I thought they dominated. Again, just didn't quite finish a few plays that could have had huge impacts.

Once again, Choate's linebackers continue to play WELL below a competent level imo. Granted, he has the least amount of talent on campus to deploy but I don't think anyone believes he is raising the play of that position as a hole.

Overshown had the QB 1v1 to tackle him well short of the line on 4th down. Make that play and we win, imo. Your team leader and captain whiffed on the one thing he should be good at, open field tackling against a QB.

Ford may be the one linebacker who has improved slightly but only in a small bit on run defense. Misses too many tackles and is a complete traffic cone in pass defense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pacman said:

DL was strong on pressure imo, poor on finishing the play to have a big impact(missed tackles).

I know the game thread was all over the DL but I thought they dominated. Again, just didn't quite finish a few plays that could have had huge impacts.

Once again, Choate's linebackers continue to play WELL below a competent level imo. Granted, he has the least amount of talent on campus to deploy but I don't think anyone believes he is raising the play of that position as a hole.

Overshown had the QB 1v1 to tackle him well short of the line on 4th down. Make that play and we win, imo. Your team leader and captain whiffed on the one thing he should be good at, open field tackling against a QB.

Ford may be the one linebacker who has improved slightly but only in a small bit on run defense. Misses too many tackles and is a complete traffic cone in pass defense.

Problem is the edges. The interior is getting a great push and getting QBs off their platform. You would think the edges would be racking up sacks cleaning up after the mess the DTs are making 

I would like to see more man. The concept of a matching zone is beyond Texas players for some reason (seems like for about 5+ years). So many guys cover their patch of grass and rally to the football. They never see WRs coming into their zone, pick them up, and pass them off. LBs are the worst offenders. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Don’t have the full grades, but some were posted on IT and our DL graded out extremely well. Sweat had a grade of 91 and Coburn was at a 86. Even Ovie had a grade of 77.

They also apparently had us down for 44 pressures on the 56 pass attempts, which is our highest total ever the last two years and twice the number of pressures than we had against Bama. Obviously the number of passes had some role in that but still a mind boggling stat considering how poorly we played.

If we are getting this much pressure from our front, doesn’t this scream for us to tighten up the coverage to take away the short stuff? It is so frustrating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

Freudian slip?

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No, it's not surprising to me. Our DL did well; it's just that our secondary is so atrocious that it doesn't matter what the DL does. WRs are running around wide open all over the place.

That QB played over his head, as usual for a QB against us, and was pretty accurate given his reputation.  We did put some pressure on him but couldn't bring him down and he effectively checked down.  We didn't look very complimentary in the the secondary - I kept hearing how we'd line up our DBs in press but I saw a ton of bail coverage and 5-7 yard cushions - maybe fatigue as we got further in?  Tech converted what like 6 fourth downs in that game?  It seems like if a QB is even halfway mobile we are so paralyzed we can't do shit.

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

We actually did get “pressure,” but not enough to impact the QB much. He even escaped and basically did whatever he wanted at times. 

If you move the QB and hurry his throw it is a pressure. If he hits an open WR 5 yards down field it doesn’t mean much other than a nice stat for a DL. 

FWIW, season grades/rankings for each unit:

Team

• Overall: 90.7 | 30th

Offense

• Overall:  73.6 | 57th
  • Passing: 68.3 | 68th
  • Pass Blocking:  73.8 | 30th
  • Run Blocking:  51.3 | 113th
  • Receiving:  72.5 | 33rd
  • Running:  88.4 | 10th

Defense

• Overall:  88.5 | 16th
  • Run Defense: 90.7 | 8th
  • Tackling:  66.8 | 56th
  • Pass Rush:  83.3 | 6th
  • Coverage:  77.1 | 52nd

Per game unit grade:

image.thumb.png.0095b4eb6b8c2e028540afc3349ab33d.png

And individual player grades vs Tech:

image.thumb.png.1c283c121cfbcd55b2492d0126c18f1b.png

image.png.fa44121aed0ab206a65fb229065d23d5.png

Edited by 40acredropout

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Interesting how stats show how Alabama game was our worst defensive performance... my mind can't reconcile that

Bama did shoot themselves in the foot a lot. Penalties, dropped passes, etc. The dropped passes in particular really changed the game because they halted several drives that were approaching field goal range at minimum.

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Interesting how stats show how Alabama game was our worst defensive performance... my mind can't reconcile that

I would probably say, because the defense was mostly solid vs TEch at everything but getting off the field. HEld the run to 3.4 yards and the passer to 5.9 yards. This is game that the stats lie. Hold the offense down on a per play baseis, but end up defending 100 plays 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seems like the stats say we have improved YOY but not enough to be a consistent winner with our dinged up offense with a backup QB (who is playing fine for a backup QB but not putting the team on his back play either).

Not what anybody wants to hear or see but it is what it is.

31 minutes ago, Strat said:

Been great to see Jaylan's steady improvement each game.. shows up in the grades too

The second half against Tech, he and Overshown managed to lose just about every one-on-one battle they had. It was nice to see them bounce back against WVU and actually look good. 

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Through 5 games this season:

image.thumb.png.3f87db7c11dfb0f91cf353b8766ab26e.png

image.thumb.png.91296a7590a5d41098b878633768c037.png

I was looking at the offensive grades like, "yeah Bijan's that dude, good for JWhitt getting up there, Banks is the best OL right, Majors and Jones getting solid grades seems about right, wait Coburn only at 60 I thought he was much better than that, Murphy at 58 holy shit PFF must really be terrible." Then I realized that was just for their fullback snaps LOL

Jaylan Ford being our worst defensive starter at 62 is such a good sign. I'm seriously so impressed with the development on that side of the ball. 

• Haha 1

Just curious. Does anyone know the process that PFF uses for grading players in College? Basically I wondering how a company with 273 employees has the time to put out individual grades, that are supposedly checked by 3 people in college football 

Edited by Codaxx

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Thought this was interesting - Coburn is at the top of the list for the Big12 DL in PFF Pash Rush Productivity grade. 

6 Texas DL (Coburn, Ojomo, Broughton, Collins, Murphy, Sweat) are in the top 25 (min 25 pass rush snaps)

image.thumb.png.fb02d3b598b719ab64685f92f4481f4a.png

For giving a damn: Bo Davis- he's a longhorn legend : r/ActualLonghornNation

On 10/5/2022 at 11:49 AM, Codaxx said:

Just curious. Does anyone know the process that PFF uses for grading players in College? Basically I wondering how a company with 273 employees has the time to put out individual grades, that are supposedly checked by 3 people in college football 

51Dlzp13x1L._AC_SY580_.jpg