2022 Season Team News and Notes(Between Games Thread)

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Without looking, I bet it’s been a LONG time since Texas had 10 guys selected in a single nfl draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Texas_Longhorns_in_the_NFL_draft

Edit to add that it is unlikely to happen much these days for any school with so many underclassmen playing critical roles.

Edited by Herpa Derpa

Man the computers just really love us this year. Sagarin has us #6 currently. Personally it just doesn't match up with what my eyes are telling me. I dunno much about how the computers work, but I assume we're getting a TON of credit for skullfucking OU?

Computers overrate the defense because of per play numbers and cannot account for what’s wearing the headset on third down.
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Computers overrate the defense because of per play numbers and cannot account for what’s wearing the headset on third down.

Defense is still 18th in the country on pts per drive. That aligns better with the eye test, than the model driven rankings currently

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Texas_Longhorns_in_the_NFL_draft

Edit to add that it is unlikely to happen much these days for any school with so many underclassmen playing critical roles.

And far fewer rounds now. If I remember correctly there was a few guys on the 84 team that were drafted by the USFL that weren't taken in the NFL draft.

4 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I forgot all about the WFL. I was about 10 years old when that league was formed and about the same age when it folded. 

I wasn’t born yet, but I think they lasted 2 years, maybe 3.  The paychecks started bouncing and the teams disbanded.

1 hour ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I forgot all about the WFL. I was about 10 years old when that league was formed and about the same age when it folded. 

It is what broke up the Dolphins' legendary backfield and ended their dynasty. I think that is the most significant legacy of the WFL. The Dolphins haven't been great since.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It is what broke up the Dolphins' legendary backfield and ended their dynasty. I think that is the most significant legacy of the WFL. The Dolphins haven't been great since.

When conVINCEd mentioned the WFL the first thing that came to my mind was the Dolphins but I couldn't remember why. Now that you bring them up, I remember all the brouhaha about Csonka leaving the Dolphins. I was a huge Cowboys fan as a kid and I hated the Dolphins for a couple of years because they always won. 

3 hours ago, sidis said:

anyone that thinks overshown or coburn are going before the fourth round is completely fucking insane.

Coburn should have good measurables to go with the size so I could see some team reaching in the 3rd with the thought process of we can coach him up and develop him in ways PK's staff didn't. 

Overshown is a bit of an unknown since he should also test very highly on combine numbers so wonder if a team will fall for that. 

5 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

When conVINCEd mentioned the WFL the first thing that came to my mind was the Dolphins but I couldn't remember why. Now that you bring them up, I remember all the brouhaha about Csonka leaving the Dolphins. I was a huge Cowboys fan as a kid and I hated the Dolphins for a couple of years because they always won. 

Well except for Super Bowl VI

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

It wasn't just Csonka, Kiick and Warfield (a WR but still one of their most important weapons) also left for the WFL. 

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Athlete playing football instead of a football player being an athlete. 
He'll get drafted 5-7 most likely. Will be interesting to see if he develops in the NFL with his raw athleticism and NFL coaching.

Can you say Malik Jefferson? I knew you could. (Thinking about it, the Malik comparison might be a tad lofty.)

Could be. I understand the feelings towards PK but continuity is part of that development too. I’m not advocating for or against him, but the guys that have been here have been thru lots of change so it could only help that they get two years of working on what they’re asked to do and how to do it.

I found it a little odd that guys like DMO, Jamison and Coburn returned. I understand maybe money had something to do with it but also that the staff wanted them back. Based on last years defense and their production, I would have thought they were some that didn’t buy-in. Their onfield play this year gives no indication of that now.

We still lack a true/elite playmaker or two on the D, but I would not be surprised to see more playmaking in the remainder of the season. Coburn, Murphy, Ojomo, Sweat continue to be men.

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

It is what broke up the Dolphins' legendary backfield and ended their dynasty.

The Steelers’ roster hitting its stride had a little bit to do with it also.

That unbeaten Dolphins team still holds the record for lowest opponent winning percentage ever by a Super Bowl winner. The weirdest thing about that team was that, even though they were undefeated, they played the AFC Championship on the road. For some asinine reason, divisions used to rotate the game back then instead of it going to the team with the best record…

22 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I have an uncle who played a few years in the World Football League back in the 70’s.  He was drafted by both.

22 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Heh.  My dad took me  to a California Sun game.  Pat Haden at QB.  I was about 10. 

I even had a team poster on my bedroom wall. 

On 10/19/2022 at 11:55 AM, gmr548 said:

Until we demonstrate an ability to play good defense against tempo and stop playing tissue-soft zone coverage we are extremely vulnerable.

Team Scoop: Fortunate injury news, bye week schedule, getting right

Eric Nahlin•9 minutes

Article written by:Eric Nahlin

Brian Bahr / Stringer PhotoG/Getty

As you’d expect after the disappointing loss to Oklahoma State, it was a long somber return flight to Austin from Stillwater on Saturday evening. On Sunday, things were a little better, although there was still a lot of woulda, shoulda, coulda sentiment lingering around the facilities.

An overall feeling is they’re not playing complementary football. If the offense is playing well, the defense is faltering. When the defense is playing well, the offense grinds to a halt. Figuring out why that is, especially on the road, is key. There aren’t issues with effort, but focus and execution are certainly popular topics.

When asked about the issues between the quarterback and wide receivers, all we heard back was there was a tremendous amount of miscommunication. We don’t know why — perhaps road noise affected them? We haven’t seen that level of discombobulation this season and being on the road was the only new variable. Certainly the passing game was off and it wasn’t all because of errant Quinn Ewers throws.

We asked about the dust-up on the sideline between freshman receiver Savion Red and, well, seemingly a lot of people. “He’s a passionate guy. That bubbles up, but normally just in practice. He easily gets fired up.” This was the book on him coming out of high school. There is no crazy back story, he just wears his emotions on his sleeve and needs to mature. We don’t know what set him off. It’s football, it happens.

The bye week schedule will be different than game week. The players lifted on Sunday, will watch film and do community service today, will practice Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, followed by another lift on Friday. They’re off next weekend.

In the meantime, the coaching staff will be using this week to try and cook up schemes that give them the best chance on the road in Manhattan. They’ll have much more to figure out beyond scheming. One personnel issue is field safety.

Senior Anthony Cook has had a good season but broke his forearm on Saturday. He’ll have surgery on it soon, BUT, won’t miss a ton of time. Timeframe for return is uncertain but he’ll get the benefit of the bye week. It’s possible he could play the last three games.

It’s a pretty big loss (could have been worse), not just because of how he’s playing, but because of the players behind him. Kitan Crawford and Michael Taaffe don’t inspire a ton of confidence. Crawford processes too slow. Taaffe knows what he’s supposed to do but doesn’t always do it. He’s not too slow for the position, but he’s not playing fast enough. He needs more reps.

IT asked about JD Coffey. He gets plenty of reps in practice but he hasn’t seen the field much. We were told the coaches will play whoever has the best two weeks of practice leading up to Kansas State. Fortunately the Wildcats don’t have the greatest passing offense.

At 5-3, with three shoulda, coulda, woulda, losses, this is a good time for a breather.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Overshwon is not good.

He's a great athlete who plays linebacker. He's not a great linebacker or even good.

we'll see come draft time.  i think he'll do fairly well in the nfl.  as for now, he's one of our leading tacklers, one of our hardest hitters, and consistently around the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

Overshwon is not good.

He's a great athlete who plays linebacker. He's not a great linebacker or even good.
If he gets drafted the team may have another position in mind, safety perhaps? He does have good speed and safety was his HS position.

9 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

we'll see come draft time.  i think he'll do fairly well in the nfl.  as for now, he's one of our leading tacklers, one of our hardest hitters, and consistently around the ball.

Overshown is going to be a 5th or 6th round guy. He is not consistent enough at being a linebacker to merit going higher, but his athleticism will get him drafted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Team Scoop: Fortunate injury news, bye week schedule, getting right

Eric Nahlin•9 minutes

Article written by:Eric Nahlin

Brian Bahr / Stringer PhotoG/Getty

As you’d expect after the disappointing loss to Oklahoma State, it was a long somber return flight to Austin from Stillwater on Saturday evening. On Sunday, things were a little better, although there was still a lot of woulda, shoulda, coulda sentiment lingering around the facilities.

An overall feeling is they’re not playing complementary football. If the offense is playing well, the defense is faltering. When the defense is playing well, the offense grinds to a halt. Figuring out why that is, especially on the road, is key. There aren’t issues with effort, but focus and execution are certainly popular topics.

When asked about the issues between the quarterback and wide receivers, all we heard back was there was a tremendous amount of miscommunication. We don’t know why — perhaps road noise affected them? We haven’t seen that level of discombobulation this season and being on the road was the only new variable. Certainly the passing game was off and it wasn’t all because of errant Quinn Ewers throws.

We asked about the dust-up on the sideline between freshman receiver Savion Red and, well, seemingly a lot of people. “He’s a passionate guy. That bubbles up, but normally just in practice. He easily gets fired up.” This was the book on him coming out of high school. There is no crazy back story, he just wears his emotions on his sleeve and needs to mature. We don’t know what set him off. It’s football, it happens.

The bye week schedule will be different than game week. The players lifted on Sunday, will watch film and do community service today, will practice Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, followed by another lift on Friday. They’re off next weekend.

In the meantime, the coaching staff will be using this week to try and cook up schemes that give them the best chance on the road in Manhattan. They’ll have much more to figure out beyond scheming. One personnel issue is field safety.

Senior Anthony Cook has had a good season but broke his forearm on Saturday. He’ll have surgery on it soon, BUT, won’t miss a ton of time. Timeframe for return is uncertain but he’ll get the benefit of the bye week. It’s possible he could play the last three games.

It’s a pretty big loss (could have been worse), not just because of how he’s playing, but because of the players behind him. Kitan Crawford and Michael Taaffe don’t inspire a ton of confidence. Crawford processes too slow. Taaffe knows what he’s supposed to do but doesn’t always do it. He’s not too slow for the position, but he’s not playing fast enough. He needs more reps.

IT asked about JD Coffey. He gets plenty of reps in practice but he hasn’t seen the field much. We were told the coaches will play whoever has the best two weeks of practice leading up to Kansas State. Fortunately the Wildcats don’t have the greatest passing offense.

At 5-3, with three shoulda, coulda, woulda, losses, this is a good time for a breather.

Ha! They haven’t played us yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Overshown is going to be a 5th or 6th round guy. He is not consistent enough at being a linebacker to merit going higher, but his athleticism will get him drafted. 

Hard to predict where Overshown will go. I think he lights up the shorts and t-shirt Olympics. There is a good chance his draft selection is completely dislocated from his game film. Think Mike Mamula  (just not 7th overall)

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Are they expecting Kansas State and Kansas to rush the field after a win?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

so will overshown.

possibly, but ossai was better than both of them.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

I have no idea what you’ve been watching, but Overshown is really bad and won’t be anywhere near the top 3 rounds. He’s constantly out of position or messing up assignments. His testing numbers will be good for a linebacker, but he’s undersized, can’t take on blocks, and isn’t actually good at playing linebacker. Numbers can only do so much for guys like that. 

1 hour ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:
Overshwon is not good.

If he gets drafted the team may have another position in mind, safety perhaps? He does have good speed and safety was his HS position.

He doesn’t have anywhere near the athleticism or coverage skills to play safety. He was spun down in college for exactly this reason. There’s no way he could move back to safety in the NFL. 

• Like 3