ztejas sucks

ztejas

9 hours ago, Capn81 said:

Man, listening to the Longhorn Blitz is rough this week. It makes me feel even worse about Sark. He needs a ton of help to be successful in every way as a coach. I agree with the guys, he never should be referred to as a great offensive mind.

I particularly liked Matt’s stat that Tech won with the lowest post game win probability of all of the games played so far this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, jinx said:

I thought this was true after the Bama game but after the Tech game I am fairly certain Sark can still lose double digit second half leads even with Quinn. Hell he has done it for a year and a half with Bijan. 

Mack didn’t go undefeated with Ricky Williams and Bijan can’t hold Ricky’s jock. Ricky rushed for 2100 yards and scored 24 TD’s, oh and we lost to Tech that year. Casey Thompson and Hudson card aren’t covering up deficiencies on football teams, they need to be playing at a place like utsa. Our roster is still young and full of holes, the qb position needs to be above average at making plays when the game is on the line. It is what it is. Ewers or bust. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

No one said anyone is better at anything because they drink. I can't even begin to fathom how you think that was stated in any way. Did you go to Texas Tech?

it Is strongly implied in the statement "he wasn't a bad coach because he drank/was a drunk."  The unavoidable response to that statement is:  yes he was; particularly if he is an alcoholic.

The overall thing is a joke, but a poor one.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

it Is strongly implied in the statement "he wasn't a bad coach because he drank/was a drunk."  The unavoidable response to that statement is:  yes he was; particularly if he is an alcoholic.

The overall thing is a joke, but a poor one.

I think maybe he was trying to say that many of Sark supporters/Stans think that he won’t be a mediocre coach when he’s sober. That they make excuses for his mediocrity back at other schools because he was drunk. “Well he’s sober now so we’ll see that brilliance kind of thing. His record was only milk toast bc he was drunk.” I’d love to believe that bc we don’t have to go look for another coach but I’m seeing a lot of trends in his losses at Texas so far. Hopefully, Ewers comes back soon and those losses are in the rear view mirror and maybe we get to vie for a Big12 championship. That or we should at least end the season on a high note with a bowl game win. But I think he’s just a mediocre coach and we’re seeing it week in and week out and it was on full display last weekend. But it’s jmo. And my opinion isn’t proof of anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Mack didn’t go undefeated with Ricky Williams and Bijan can’t hold Ricky’s jock. Ricky rushed for 2100 yards and scored 24 TD’s, oh and we lost to Tech that year. Casey Thompson and Hudson card aren’t covering up deficiencies on football teams, they need to be playing at a place like utsa. Our roster is still young and full of holes, the qb position needs to be above average at making plays when the game is on the line. It is what it is. Ewers or bust. 

Ok but, I thought sark was a QB maker.  I would have hoped he could have come up with a game plan that would highlight Cards strengths.  Whatever they are. 

7 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

Ok but, I thought sark was a QB maker.  I would have hoped he could have come up with a game plan that would highlight Cards strengths.  Whatever they are. 

Casey thumbson has the record for TD passes against blOwU, card just threw for 277 yards and a couple TD’s. Sark is a qb whisperer lol. Those two suck and they aren’t going to win you games when you need a gamer. It happens, shit it happens more often than it doesn’t. Take Bryce young away from bama right now, Milroe ain’t leading them to the CFP year one. Young like Ewers is special. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
I suck at typing
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

To an alcoholic, this is a galactically stupid statement.

No one is better at anything because they drink, except being a drunk and whatever that entails (better speech slurrer?  better pukenrallier?).  Certainly not if they are an alcoholic drinker.

Alcoholics drink because they are alcoholics.  The reason they are alcoholics is complex, but it is almost never because of a job or peformance on a job.

The statement is somewhat tongue in cheek and may be true insofar as Sarkisian being a bad coach drunk or sober.  But I guarantee that he is a better coach sober than drunk, and better able to use whatever positiive qualities he has as a coach (OC? playcaller? QB coach) sober than drunk.  And a much better likelihood of rounding into a good head coach sober.

Johnny Fever disagrees completely. You’re too young for a WKRP reference, damn I’m old.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Both Casey and Hudson were higher rated than Mac Jones?  Maybe Casey was close but either we get the wrong four stars or they’re not being developed.  Seems like it’s always the predecessor that misevaluated.   I thought Sark was the qb whisperer 

7 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Casey thumbson has the record for TD passes against blOwU, card just threw for 277 yards and a couple TD’s. Sark is a qb whisperer lol. Those two suck and they aren’t going to win you games when you need a gamer. It happens, shit it happens more often than it doesn’t. Take Bryce young away from bama right now, Milroe ain’t leading them to the CFP year one. Young like Ewers is special. 

Ah.  Sarks system only works with special talent.  

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Both Casey and Hudson were higher rated than Mac Jones?  Maybe Casey was close but either we get the wrong four stars or they’re not being developed.  Seems like it’s always the predecessor that misevaluated.   I thought Sark was the qb whisperer 

That’s moving the goal posts, mac Jones was throwing to a heisman winning wr and two other first round wr’s were in the depth chart next to him. Card would fuck up in that Alabama offense too, it would be tough to do but he’d hold the ball too long and miss open receivers, same as always. 

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Mac Jones would have beat tech lol. He also wouldn’t have gone cold like Thompson did against any defense with a pulse. He’s not rated higher but his deficiencies were just different. I don’t recall anybody saying he holds the ball too long or that his progression/pocket presence was piss poor. Jones is just not very athletic lol. 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Coach February? This is a pretty brutal read written after USC’s loss to UW in 2015 and yeah we know what was going on with Sark personally. 

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2015/10/09/washington-beats-usc-steve-sarkisian-chris-petersen

Heres what I mean: “USC fans are again coming to grips with a coach who appears to be the wrong fit. The Trojans can still theoretically get their act together and win the Pac-12 South. But right now, Sarkisian has a satchel of horrifying losses, and his only signature victories have come on signing day. Instead of Win Forever, this new USC era only can really celebrate in February. That’s when the latest batch of Trojans destined to underachieve come to Troy.“

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Mac Jones would have beat tech lol. He also wouldn’t have gone cold like Thompson did against any defense with a pulse. He’s not rated higher but his deficiencies were just different. I don’t recall anybody saying he holds the ball too long or that his progression/pocket presence was piss poor. Jones is just not very athletic lol. 

So his offense works with bama type talent.  Why did we bring him over again?  I guess because we failed with two “do less with more” guys but maybe sometimes it’s not just the players.  Sark looks worse than herman so far and it’s really not that close.  Of course sark is apparently a good guy so he gets a longer leash

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So his offense works with bama type talent.  Why did we bring him over again?  I guess because we failed with two “do less with more” guys but maybe sometimes it’s not just the players.  Sark looks worse than herman so far and it’s really not that close.  Of course sark is apparently a good guy so he gets a longer leash

Arizona State gossip is that Herman is front runner for that job and he was a victim of unrealistic expectations at Texas. So there’s that. But there’s no question through 16 games that Herman had a much better 1st and 2nd year at Texas than Sark. But it’s likely we don’t get Ewers and Arch and so on…Herman’s tenure here was undone by other things and he’s only got himself to blame for those. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Arizona State gossip is that Herman is front runner for that job and he was a victim of unrealistic expectations at Texas. So there’s that. But there’s no question through 16 games that Herman had a much better 1st and 2nd year at Texas than Sark. But it’s likely we don’t get Ewers and Arch and so on…Herman’s tenure here was undone by other things and he’s only got himself to blame for those. 

I’m glad Tom isn’t here. He needed to go.  He had some bad luck here Imo but ultimately don’t be a dick.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jesus at least let him get his QB back. We always play close games on the road in Lubbock. First road game of the season with a young team and backup QB.
Just sit back and relax and let this thing develop. With NIL we should continue to stockpile talent going forward like we did at OL and starting QB this year. Only thing that can derail it is our own stupidity.  

Yeah, NIL wont matter if you go 4-8 and show horrific tape. NIL thousandaires want to become NFL millionaires. So they’ll transfer to other programs and get more “NIL” money.

We recruited well under Mack, then he became lame duck and we had transition class and attrition.

We recruited well under Strong, then he became lame duck and we had transition class and attrition.

We recruited well under Herman, then he became lame duck and we had transition class and attrition.

Right now, I’m seeing more head coaching deficiencies than talent deficiencies. Sark is trending towards being on the hot seat in year two.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Feel the same. He was such a cunt he had to go. 
I don’t feel the same about Sark I think he has potential and don’t think it’s over yet. It just hasn’t clicked for him what it means to be a head coach at an elite program. PK is a big red flag/issue he needs to deal with. 

This is where I’m at with Sark.  I think he is a smart, decent guy who hasn’t figured it out and may not be a bit too loyal and unable to cut dead weight quickly.  Then again he is not a cunt like Herman, so other coaches actually want to work for him.  It is a very fine balance that probably only Saban has truly mastered.

• Hook 'Em 3

At least the guy doesn’t make so many stupid in-game decisions like Strong and Herman used to.  Remember all those stupid decisions not to take the points by Herman?  Sark’s not as good as Mack at strategy but he’s better than those other two.  I think his fundamental problem might be that he is just not an intense guy.  Who is a successful D1 coach out there who is not ultra intense to the point of being on the verge of losing it half the time?  Maybe there’s a rare few.   The best coaches demand results from others and won’t relent until they get them.   Unfortunately the shortcoming of not having that kind intensity can’t be fixed.   At least we got Ewers for a couple of years and can see some cool passes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

At least the guy doesn’t make so many stupid in-game decisions like Strong and Herman used to.  Remember all those stupid decisions not to take the points by Herman?  Sark’s not as good as Mack at strategy but he’s better than those other two.  I think his fundamental problem might be that he is just not an intense guy.  Who is a successful D1 coach out there who is not ultra intense to the point of being on the verge of losing it half the time?  Maybe there’s a rare few.   The best coaches demand results from others and won’t relent until they get them.   Unfortunately the shortcoming of not having that kind intensity can’t be fixed.   At least we got Ewers for a couple of years and can see some cool passes. 

I don’t think fans believe Sark is a bad person, they are just perplexed as to why he fucks up a bunch. The 2nd half of TTU game was a very slow car crash. WTF.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Jesus at least let him get his QB back. We always play close games on the road in Lubbock. First road game of the season with a young team and backup QB.

Just sit back and relax and let this thing develop. With NIL we should continue to stockpile talent going forward like we did at OL and starting QB this year. Only thing that can derail it is our own stupidity.  

Jerry Seinfeld Agree GIF

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I don’t feel the same about Sark I think he has potential and don’t think it’s over yet. It just hasn’t clicked for him what it means to be a head coach at an elite program. PK is a big red flag/issue he needs to deal with. 

“Hasn’t clicked yet? Doesn’t know what it means to be HC?”

What is that supposed to mean?

37 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think his fundamental problem might be that he is just not an intense guy.

From everything I’ve heard/read/seen, I don’t think this is really the case. He comes across as relatively calm in public settings like interviews but he’s got a fiery side. The dude looked like he was about to murder someone on the sideline when we had a missed assignment on 3rd down that led to a field goal in our last drive against UTSA. He was screaming his head off when we couldn’t get lined up correctly on the 3rd down last week where we had burn a timeout.

I also don’t think there is a direct correlation between how “intense” you are and winning. I’ve never seen Dave Aranda speak above a whisper. Coaches can get their points across in different ways and be effective.

• Hook 'Em 4

Here's something that occurred to me about Sarkisian and the PK thing.

Although perhaps he shouldn't have been, I think Sarkisian was legitimately surprised at how bad certain or many units and players were on the field, both in terms of ability to execute and ability to overcome and "finish."  Kind of like "Jesus, who are these guys?"  We seem to have or have had a bunch of practice warriors that can't do it live for four quarters straight for whatever reason.

So, at the end of the day, Sarkisian had to blame the quality and attitudes of the players for the subpar performance of the offense if not the whole team.  And, if you're going to accept that from yourself and your offensive staff, it's probably pretty hard to tell Kwiatkowski, "but I know it's you and your schemes and coaching, your players aren't as bad as mine," even if you believe it to be true.

Of course that is the nature of "excuse-making" and accepting excuses.  But, it is also part and parcel of delegating.  It looks super-decisive and hard core to go all US Navy and say "happened under your command, in your fleet/squadron, etc. so it's your fault your problem and you are relieved of command."

But I'm not sure that's a uniformly accepted management principle.

We've gotten in the habit of pattern-matching each coach to their failed predecessors and bad assistant hires (cronies, objectively bad coaches) and delay in dealing with them has become one of those patterns.  But, Kwiatkowski doesn't match the hire pattern as a crony or objectively bad coach in the way Watson and Orlando did, among others. It does appear that his dispatch is being unduly delayed.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Cosmi, ehlinger, ossai, duvernay, Johnson, boyd, Malik, omenihu, Poona, Eliot, roach, wheeler, Gary Johnson, Humphrey, Brandon Jones…those guys were all gifted to Herman. Shane Buechele would put up heisman numbers in sarks offense. Herman was given a loaded roster from chuckles compared to what he gave sark. Herman is a big reason we are in this fucking mess. Sam saved his ass so many times it isn’t funny, unless you’re laughing to keep from crying. 

Ah the old "Mack left the cupboard bare" excuse. Haven't heard that one in awhile. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yeah, NIL wont matter if you go 4-8 and show horrific tape. NIL thousandaires want to become NFL millionaires. So they’ll transfer to other programs and get more “NIL” money.

We recruited well under Mack, then he became lame duck and we had transition class and attrition.

We recruited well under Strong, then he became lame duck and we had transition class and attrition.

We recruited well under Herman, then he became lame duck and we had transition class and attrition.

Right now, I’m seeing more head coaching deficiencies than talent deficiencies. Sark is trending towards being on the hot seat in year two.

Fact is we can pay mote than most every program in the country. Only a few can keep up with our level year after year. And we won't be 4-8. Even this year we've played 3 of the 4 games without the elite starting QB and other injuries and we haven't had time yet under the new rules to build up the depth. Once we do we'll be able to weather these things against lesser teams.  

This will still be an 8-4 type season. We'll win these types of games with Ewers and Worthy in there. 

7 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

After that we hear from someone supposedly plugged into the Houston-BMD crowd and their favorite vs. the Dallas BMDs and their favorite (which is never the same).

Then we get someone blaming the AD, when we all know that in football hires they have little-to-no sway.

Then someone blames the coaching search firm that we hire, even though they do nothing other than serve as a lawsuit shield.

Round and round we go.  A good coach at Baylor or SFA won't necessarily be a good coach here.

It is different.

Aranda derp derp

finally 16 pages in to this malign fiesta

'84-'89 hholla

i've been watching for FORTY FUCKING YEARS so i can throw down here

THE LANDSCAPE HAS CHANGED

IT'S GOING TO FUCKING TAKE TIME

IT'S NOT HAPPENING THIS YEAR

IT MAY NOT HAPPEN NEXT YEAR

IT MAY NOT HAPPEN WITH THIS COACH

but rest assured you, by the Grace of God,

when it does happen, it will be real, and spectacular.

NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP AND QUIT BITCHING

we have a game to play

/end of line

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, immamac said:

I agree Herman was a cunt and needed to go but there’s no evidence that Sark is the same level coach. 

Herman has what? 4 top 25 finishes in 6 seasons as a head coach. This could very well be 2 top 25 finishes in 8 full seasons for Sark. That’s a big contrast. 

Herman’s floor is around top 25 and not so much for Sark based on history. The problem for Herman is a floor near the top 25 isn’t good enough at Texas when you’re also a major cunt. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I agree Herman was a cunt and needed to go but there’s no evidence that Sark is the same level coach. 

Herman has what? 4 top 25 finishes in 6 seasons as a head coach. This could very well be 2 top 25 finishes in 8 full seasons for Sark. That’s a big contrast. 

Herman’s floor is around top 25 and not so much for Sark based on history. The problem for Herman is a floor near the top 25 isn’t good enough at Texas when you’re also a major cunt. 

This team is only a few pieces away from being pretty dominant. 

1 fully developed and disruptive EDGE. 1 corner and maybe another dominant DL. 

On offense it's basically just a good, not great QB away and maybe some development on the OL with people already on the team. Maybe a little more depth at TE/WR. 

Defensive scheme is an issue in my opinion, but I don't think the players are making WTF plays like last year nearly as much. The offense is already good, the play calling was turtle instead of all gas and when we had the opportunity to dagger it didn't happen. People keep talking about the run game/wildcat not being effective and I just think they didn't run it enough. We don't have small backs, the other team can only take so many hulk smashes from RoJo and Bijan. 

It's clear that Hudson doesn't have a swag bone in his body and neither does Bijan - just not his style. RoJo does and so does Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just adding some more thoughts while I'm in here. I don't look at this team and it's on field performance and say "man these guys fucking suck" or "that's a bad team" it's actually quite the opposite. It's frustrating as a fan to see Gunnar "wide the fuck open" Helm get no touches or targets in the game, but it's only frustrating because he is in fact good at football. There are countless examples of that, where decision making or something coachable is the reason that something big didn't happen. That's a big fucking difference from last year's team, last year's team straight up sucked outside of some big play opportunity on offense. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, immamac said:

It means the job is too big for him, but I think he has the tools to figure it out. 

If guys like Ed O and Gene Chizik can catch lightning in a bottle and win a championship, so can Sark. Equally below average head coaches with a history of sucking at previous stops have pulled great seasons out of their ass. I’m not saying I expect him to win championships here, although I certainly hope he does, but if he’s able to hold on to this recruiting class and keep stacking talent, he’ll be ok.

54 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Has anyone pointed out that Bijan’s 74 or whatever yard TD against UTSA was out of the Wildcat?

Yeah, it didn’t work several times against Tech but sometimes it might just be poor execution.

Or teams figure shit out?  Or in this case Traylor pointed it out to his buddy Mcguire?

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Which is funny as he was at USC.  

He was hired at USC based on his coordinator experience at USC.  He was hired here based on his coordinator experience at Bama.  Both schools ignored the actual HC experience he had, which didn't warrant jobs at either school. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

He was hired at USC based on his coordinator experience at USC.  He was hired here based on his coordinator experience at Bama.  Both schools ignored the actual HC experience he had, which didn't warrant jobs at either school. 

But he was the head guy at both UW and USC.  Whether he deserved it or not is another question but he should be ready for our job no?  

Just adding some more thoughts while I'm in here. I don't look at this team and it's on field performance and say "man these guys fucking suck" or "that's a bad team" it's actually quite the opposite. It's frustrating as a fan to see Gunnar "wide the fuck open" Helm get no touches or targets in the game, but it's only frustrating because he is in fact good at football. There are countless examples of that, where decision making or something coachable is the reason that something big didn't happen. That's a big fucking difference from last year's team, last year's team straight up sucked outside of some big play opportunity on offense. 

Think this is what’s frustrating about the Tech loss. The team is in fact better at a lot of things than it was last year - sometimes a lot better - and the result was the same. It was a coaching loss and that’s not going to improve.

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

But, this drives at the hiring problem.  We talked to the head coaches at competitive P5 programs and they told us to go away.

That means you have to take a flyer on someone with a good record at a lesser program or less than HC experience at a competitive program.

And, I'm not sure it is apples-to-apples anymore, but Royal's pre-Texas record didn't "warrant" the Texas job.

We keep applying hindsight bias to all this stuff and that's all good and well, but that's not how it really works out there.

• Like 1

• ztejas changed the title to ztejas sucks