ztejas sucks

ztejas

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

You have created a bizarre narrative in your own brain that had nothing to do with what was written.

He wasn't a bad coach because he drank, he drank because he was a bad coach. He doesn't have the capacity to be a successful head coach in big time college football. This depressed him and caused him anxiety, so he drank. 

Then, you responded, "No one is better at anything because they drink" as if the posted statement implied he drank to be a better coach. No, he drank in the past because he sucks at being a head coach and knows he will never succeed at being a head coach.

WHAT?

So, we should just ignore the reams of research showing the biological and genetic causes and predispositions for alcoholism?

We should just ignore that a research professor at UT is working with a university in Sweden and their studies indicate that the expression in one gene, (labeled GAT-3) which gene controls the neurotransmitter called GABA is known to be involved in alcohol dependence. And instead of manifesting itself in the reward circuitry of the brain, is more commonly found in the amygdala. (The amygdala is commonly thought to form the core of the neural system for processing emotions and memories related to fear.

And let's not even look into all of the other environmental factors which could be involved.

Nope...Sark became an alcoholic because he could not win football games...

Good Lord.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Sark and Kiffin were both hired by USC because USC wanted to recreate the Pete Carroll magic.  They figured they both knew the system and could keep the train running like Day and Shaw.  Both turned out to fail spectacularly.  Hell, OU just hired Venables for the same reason.

Lets just hope OU gets the same result as USC.

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

FAU went 3-9 in the 3 seasons prior to Kiffin. They didn't even have a winning record in the 8 seasons prior to Kiffin. Are you really trying to use FAU as an argument against Kiffin because it's a terrible one?

Kiffin turned a program that couldn't finish above .500 for nearly a decade into a double digit win team in 2 out of his 3 years at FAU. Not only was this a good coaching job it was a great coaching job. 

Tennessee, USC and the Raiders happened a decade ago. It's almost like some coaches develop and become better coaches. Kiffin has been really good at FAU and Ole Miss. Your problem is you think Kiffin is still the same coach from a decade ago when he's proven to be a much better coach at 2 different schools since USC. 

What’s his biggest win?

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He also went 5-7 one year at FAU. Again, what’s his biggest win? And what if he loses or barely beats Stoops on Saturday?

Tennessee, USC, and the Raiders all happened and I have yet to see a significant win from him. And he’s a douchebag. 

2011 USC over Oregon, 38-35, at Autzen was a damn good win.  I'd rank it 3rd for USC's post-Carroll wins, after the Penn State Rose Bowl and winning at Washington in 2016.  Going into it Oregon was 9-1 and USC was 8-2.  Oregon still had title game aspirations until that night.  Matt Barkley, Marqise Lee and Robert Woods tore up Oregon's secondary.  The defense did great until they got gassed in the 4th quarter but held on to win.  If not for sanctions that would have been a CCG rematch a couple weeks later and I'm confident USC wins it again because Oregon's defense wasn't suddenly going to develop the speed and pass rush necessary to slow down USC.

Edited by Trojan Man
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

WHAT?

So, we should just ignore the reams of research showing the biological and genetic causes and predispositions for alcoholism?

We should just ignore that a research professor at UT is working with a university in Sweden and their studies indicate that the expression in one gene, (labeled GAT-3) which gene controls the neurotransmitter called GABA is known to be involved in alcohol dependence. And instead of manifesting itself in the reward circuitry of the brain, is more commonly found in the amygdala. (The amygdala is commonly thought to form the core of the neural system for processing emotions and memories related to fear.

And let's not even look into all of the other environmental factors which could be involved.

Good Lord.

damn, this is some hardcore football shit right here

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Kiffin did have a 10-2 season there, but he seemed to be an absolute cunt by the end of his tenure much like Herman here.

Here’s the Gundy fan fiction.  0 conference titles, but 10 win seasons every year.

Gundy actually won a conference championship in 2011, and by all rights should've been playing for a natty, but the BCS gave us the Bammer/LSU 2.0 snoozefest rematch instead. He got hosed IMO.

And averaging almost 9 wins a season for almost two decades in Stoolwater, Oklahoma is pretty damn impressive in my book. Have you ever seen that town? It makes Lubbock look like Vegas in comparison. Can you imagine what he could do with the talent we haul in every year?

Hiring Gundy would be a home run, which probably means it'll never happen.

Dammit now I'm even more depressed. Is it too early to start drinking whiskey? Maybe I can pour out a 40 over the graves of our failed coaching hires.

12 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

WHAT?

Good Lord.

You are jumping in at the tail end of a long conversation. This all goes back to something that was told to me by USC grad, not something I said. It was radically misinterpreted by another poster.

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

And what if he loses or barely beats Stoops on Saturday?

I also don't know why you keep asking this question. 

Stoops is a good coach and is clearly in the mix for being one of the top 20 coaches in the country. It's almost like there's a reason Kentucky is ranked #7 and Ole Miss is ranked #14. 

I've already mentioned several times that I wouldn't mind Stoops or Kiffin as the next coach at Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

2011 USC over Oregon (38-35) at Autzen was a damn good win.  I'd rank it 3rd for USC's post-Carroll wins, after the Penn State Rose Bowl and winning at Washington in 2016.  Both teams were 9-1 going into it and Oregon still had title game aspirations until that night.  Matt Barkley, Marqise Lee and Robert Woods tore up Oregon's secondary.  The defense did great until they got gassed in the 4th quarter but held on to win.  If not for sanctions that would have been a CCG rematch a couple weeks later and I'm confident USC wins it again because Oregon's defense wasn't suddenly going to develop the speed and pass rush necessary to slow down USC.

That’s a good one. It’s a wonder why USC fired him. 

48 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

3 ten win seasons in the last 5 years and it will probably be 4 in the last 6 after this season. Potentially 5 ten win seasons and at 3 different schools before turning 48. Kiffin has a much more impressive  coaching resume than many people realize considering his age. 

Pat Fitzgerald is 3-9, 7-2, 3-9, and now 1-3 in his last 4 seasons at Northwestern. PJ Fleck is a good coach but he's not better than Kiffin. Leipold has done good things at Kansas but he's still 43-43 as a head coach at the D1 level. Fickell is the only coach you mentioned that might be better than Kiffin and even all his success is at the G5 level. 

You act like the coaching market is full of great coaches. It isn't. Coaches like Mack Brown, James Franklin, and Kirk Ferentz are often mentioned in the top 20 coaches because there simply aren't many top level coaches. 

Best coach out there is Kalen DeBoer. He won national championships hand over fist at a lower level and then turned around Fresno in no time and look what he is doing at Washington. His name came up in the list of candidates together with Fickell when we hired Sark but everyone here was burnt out on coaches from a lower division after Charlie and Tom. Hope we get him if Sark fails next year with his third straight losing record. Really hope he is successful but I felt the same way about Charlie and he showed early on it was not going to happen.

Edited by DanTheHorn

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Best coach out there is Kalen DeBoer. 

I like DeBoer but need to see more before I'm on that train. 

So far this year at Washington he's beaten 1-3 Kent State, Portland State, 1-2 Stanford, and 2-2 Michigan State. I definitely wouldn't take him over more proven coaches like Kiffin, Gundy, and Stoops. At least not yet. 

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I also don't know why you keep asking this question. 

Stoops is a good coach and is clearly in the mix for being one of the top 20 coaches in the country. It's almost like there's a reason Kentucky is ranked #7 and Ole Miss is ranked #14. 

I've already mentioned several times that I wouldn't mind Stoops or Kiffin as the next coach at Texas. 

Is it fair to say that this weekend’s game against Kentucky is a must-win for ol’ Joey?

He’s favored by a TD. Losing that one would be a disaster. 

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Where’s the trophy for building first half leads against “superior” opponents?  We’re 16 games in.  What is sarks signature win?   He’s worse than herm the worm right now.  But I will acknowledge Charlie left herm a baker cake

I can’t see us ever hiring a guy like kiffin

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Is this in reference to the "upstanding citizen" type above? Because Texas just tried to hire Urban Meyer. 

Kiffin's agent @Rickylovesweed (I kid, I kid) beat me to it with the Urban response.

3 hours ago, USC_TMB said:

Which may be the problem, he keeps getting head coaching gigs at major programs without having developed his jobs at less high-profile stops. Going from a QB coach at USC to head coach with the Raiders? 

His stop at Alabama should have taught him about assembling a staff, which he could have worked on at a smaller program.  Going straight to HC at Texas can end one of two ways

As somebody else said, there weren't many quibbles with Sark's staff other than that he tried to hire Mike Stoops. Many thought getting PK was a home run at the time. Apparently, it's not -- or hasn't been to this point.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Is it fair to say that this weekend’s game against Kentucky is a must-win for ol’ Joey?

He’s favored by a TD. Losing that one would be a disaster. 

You have a really weird way of evaluating coaches. No, 1 game doesn't change my opinion on a coach and especially against a team that probably has a top 5 draft pick at QB. 

You do realize Kentucky is pretty good right? They're 14-3 in the last 2 seasons. Why do you think I've also mentioned Stoops as a coach I wouldn't mind at Texas? 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s a good one. It’s a wonder why USC fired him. 

Kiffin totally lost the team in 2012 and it didn't get any better in 2013.  2012 was when USC started the year ranked #1 and ended unranked, capped off with a loss to Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl that featured both on-field and off-field embarrassments.  The 2013 Arizona State game gets all the attention because it's the game that got Kiffin tarmac'd, but it wasn't as bad of a loss as the Washington State loss a couple weeks before.  At least ASU was a road game against a 10 win team, plus the depth problems caused by sanctions are the main reason that game got out of hand.  The 10-7 home loss to a bad Coug team whose only touchdown came on a pick six was the most pathetic display of USC football I've ever seen, no small feat when you consider all the nominees for this category Clay Helton provided, and that one can't be blamed on a shallow depth chart.  It felt like 2/3 of the play calls that game were bubble screens that went for -2 to 2 yards.  When you're supposed to be an offensive genius and a QB guru your offense can't look that awful against a porous defense and you can't waffle between two QBs every week.  It was also understood Kiffin was hired in a "making the best of a bad situation" context to guide USC through the sanctions and once those were up he'd be replaced with an elite coach...oops.

Anyways, Kiffin has definitely grown and matured since then.  If you told me I had to choose either Kiffin or Sark to be USC's head coach again I'd go with Kiffin in a heartbeat.  If he replaced Helton I wouldn't have been upset about it.  He wouldn't have been my first choice and I wouldn't have been giddy about his hire like I am with Riley, but he would still have me optimistic.  He'll sign top 5 classes yearly and win big once he's at a school higher on the college football totem pole than Ole Miss.  Sark's calling is OC/QB coach/recruiter because he is great at all of those things, but as a head coach he is decidedly mediocre.  The good news for Texas is your cupboard will be fully stocked after you move on from Sark.  He left behind a loaded roster at USC and if he was followed by a decent coach instead of a terrible coach USC would have a playoff appearance or two to show for it with the 2016-17 teams that were built by Sark.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

it appears that PK is a disaster of a hire, the question remaining being how poorly does it reflect on Sarkisian that he isn't gone already.

It says everything we need to know about Sark.

At the end of last season, every casual fan could see that PK sucks. But Sark stubbornly chose to stick with him anyway. Now four games into Sark's second season, we're all just praying we make a bowl game.

Now compare that to Aranda. As a rookie head coach in 2020, he only won 2 games. In response, he fires and replaces his OC and most of his offensive staff, after only one season with them on staff.  The result? The next year he wins the conference championship and the freaking Sugar Bowl, and finishes ranked Top 10 in the country.

THAT'S what ballsy leadership looks like. A leader unafraid to make tough decisions. Instead, we keep ending up with head coaches that hold on to sucky coordinators as long as they can so that when their seat gets hot, they'll have a sacrificial lamb they can throw to their bosses, the BMDs, and the fanbase to buy them an extra year or two to get paid millions of bucks to underperform relative to the blue chip talent they have on the roster.

When will it end? 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yep. And re: the RoCat, i have a friend that insists to me that Sark is "saving those other plays" out of that look for better opponents. I roll my eyes at that. The whole point of that look is that you are putting it on film that you can do different things out of it. If you run the exact same play out of that formation every time you are in it, there is no element of surprise. If you truly are "saving plays for later" the only person you are outsmarting is yourself.

I always thought the 'saving the play" was just a running joke.      

28 minutes ago, Otter said:

It says everything we need to know about Sark.

At the end of last season, every casual fan could see that PK sucks. But Sark stubbornly chose to stick with him anyway. Now four games into Sark's second season, we're all just praying we make a bowl game.

Now compare that to Aranda. As a rookie head coach in 2020, he only won 2 games. In response, he fires and replaces his OC and most of his offensive staff, after only one season with them on staff.  The result? The next year he wins the conference championship and the freaking Sugar Bowl, and finishes ranked Top 10 in the country.

THAT'S what ballsy leadership looks like. A leader unafraid to make tough decisions. Instead, we keep ending up with head coaches that hold on to sucky coordinators as long as they can so that when their seat gets hot, they'll have a sacrificial lamb they can throw to their bosses, the BMDs, and the fanbase to buy them an extra year or two to get paid millions of bucks to underperform relative to the blue chip talent they have on the roster.

When will it end? 

Maybe it's ballsy leadership maybe not. Kinda depends on how it works out. 

If it is true that we have/had pretty serious roster problems, including attitudinal problems, and Aranda didn't, t would not work out quite so well. 

Too infected with hindsight bias to know. 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

True. And I hope Sark eventually proves he knows what he's doing and that he's making the right calls, because it's not looking good so far. A losing record last season, and then this past weekend, Sark getting teabagged on national TV by tech's high school coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Otter said:

True. And I hope Sark eventually proves he knows what he's doing and that he's making the right calls, because it's not looking good so far. A losing record last season, and then this past weekend, Sark getting teabagged on national TV by tech's high school coach.

What we'd hope is that Sarkisian had the absolute clarity of vision to say, yep, Pete, your players stunk, but so did you.  Hasta la vista baby.

But, as badly as we want a HC that can do that, they're probably rare, and I think we do have a pretty toxic stew that results from bad coaching, turnover, spotty recruiting, the EOT "scandal," and a few other things.  And the net result of that is that even the clearest eyed ballsy leader has some trouble coming into Texas and getting it sorted in a season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

If it is true that we have/had pretty serious roster problems, including attitudinal problems, and Aranda didn't, t would not work out quite so well. 
Too infected with hindsight bias to know. 

I wonder if aranda likes Austin?
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I wonder if aranda likes Austin?

You can make a decent argument that Aranda came into a better situation than Sarkisian, or maybe any of the last three.

Rhule left voluntarily and seemed to have gotten Baylor's ship pretty righted post-Briles.  And you can even argue that from a player perspective the Briles ship was sailing right along too.  The last season before Aranda at 11-1 was fools gold though, not beating a single ranked team.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2022 at 5:49 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

Coaches like Sark are the reasons conspiracies exist in this world. Because nothing else makes any sense at all. This fucking guy opens up with a scheme every game that works. He gets players in space. Gets our guys on the edge since the middle is stuffed harder than SA’s mom. He gets our WRs and TE’s where they belong and we roll.  Then he scratches his ass sniffs his finger and we never go back to any of that ever.  Fucking Bijan on the edge gets 6 yards a clip. Then proceeds to run up the fucking guy for 1 yard repeatedly because maybe just maybe we will get 3 yards.   Doesn’t throw a screen the whole game. Says fuck you sanders no more passes. Oh and let me go deep with 40 yard bombs because that hasn’t worked in 3 fucking years but it will now.   Im

fully convinced this mother fucker has gambling on football and is doing this shit on purpose. My fucking 12 year old daughter could tell you this dudes Austism shows up at half time 

I've always wondered...

If the script works really well on the early possessions, why not just run the script again?

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So far this year at Washington he's beaten 1-3 Kent State, Portland State, 1-2 Stanford, and 2-2 Michigan State. I definitely wouldn't take him over more proven coaches like Kiffin, Gundy, and Stoops. At least not yet. 

I expect that we'll know more about him after tomorrow night vs. UCLA.

33 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I've always wondered...

If the script works really well on the early possessions, why not just run the script again?

Bill Snyder did this.  I believe they passed the ball <5 times in a game and just kept running at the same spot and Muschamp could do nothing to stop it.

Just now, Augustus said:

My opinion doesn't mean shit, but if there's any of you that can't see that Card is ridiculously improved over last year I don't know what you're watching.

I'm not saying he's great.  I'm saying he's a hell of a lot better than he was last year.

OK.  He's still not good enough to start at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That attitude has been the problem.  

Didn’t Baylor lose to byu already and scrape by an iowa state team that kinda blows? Napier got handed a bag of shit like sark did, his qb has more rushing td’s right now than passing td’s lol. He appears to have a tough road ahead at that rate. Stoops at Kentucky has won 5 games 3 different times and was even 2-10 once. He’s also won 10 games twice and he’s 4-0 currently with a good team. The point here is sometimes it takes a minute to turn the corner because the program has fucking sucked for a while and unfucking a bunch of suck takes a long time when you’re just an average coach. Which is all we are asking for at this point, because we don’t deserve any better at this point either. We’re Texas and we’re back are jokes now, pure and simple. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Damn autocorrect

Didn’t Baylor lose to byu already and scrape by an iowa state team that kinda blows? Napier got handed a bag of shit like sark did, his qb has more rushing td’s right now than passing td’s lol. He appears to have a tough road ahead at that rate. Stoops at Kentucky has won 5 games 3 different times and was even 2-10 once. He’s also won 10 games twice and he’s 4-0 currently with a good team. The point here is sometimes it takes a minute to turn the corner because the program has sucked for a long time and unfucking that much suck takes a ton of effort and time. It’s even harder when your coach is just average which most coaches are and that’s all we deserve at this point anyway. We’re Texas and Texas is back are just punch lines now, some patience is necessary for this shit show. Or fuck me and let’s fire PK then all the defensive staff when we hire a new DC and then a year from that let’s fire sark too. It’s worked out so far. Lol

Edited by WinningIsHard
Fucking autocorrect

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

What we'd hope is that Sarkisian had the absolute clarity of vision to say, yep, Pete, your players stunk, but so did you.  Hasta la vista baby.

Sark doesn’t have the guts to make a move like this until he knows his offense is rolling. If we were lighting it up with Ewers, Sark would be more confident in making the right moves for the team. Shit, if Ewers is truly the next VY, Sark would be hanging on his every word. 

10 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Didn’t Baylor lose to byu already and scrape by an iowa state team that kinda blows? Napier got handed a bag of shit like sark did, his qb has more rushing td’s right now than passing td’s lol. He appears to have a tough road ahead at that rate. Stoops at Kentucky has won 5 games 3 different times and was even 2-10 once. He’s also won 10 games twice and he’s 4-0 currently with a good team. The point here is sometimes it takes a minute to turn the corner because the program has fucking sucked for a while and unfucking a bunch of suck takes a long time when you’re just an average coach. Which is all we are asking for at this point, because we don’t deserve any better at this point either. We’re Texas and we’re back are jokes now, pure and simple. 

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Didn’t Baylor lose to byu already and scrape by an iowa state team that kinda blows? Napier got handed a bag of shit like sark did, his qb has more rushing td’s right now than passing td’s lol. He appears to have a tough road ahead at that rate. Stoops at Kentucky has won 5 games 3 different times and was even 2-10 once. He’s also won 10 games twice and he’s 4-0 currently with a good team. The point here is sometimes it takes a minute to turn the corner because 

61l7PHE9ypL._SX425_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 8:15 PM, WinningIsHard said:

Mac Jones would have beat tech lol. He also wouldn’t have gone cold like Thompson did against any defense with a pulse. He’s not rated higher but his deficiencies were just different. I don’t recall anybody saying he holds the ball too long or that his progression/pocket presence was piss poor. Jones is just not very athletic lol. 

During the lead up to his draft there was a stat on Mac Jones saying he'd thrown to his 2nd read on less than 10% of his pass attempts. 

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You have a really weird way of evaluating coaches. No, 1 game doesn't change my opinion on a coach and especially against a team that probably has a top 5 draft pick at QB. 

You do realize Kentucky is pretty good right? They're 14-3 in the last 2 seasons. Why do you think I've also mentioned Stoops as a coach I wouldn't mind at Texas? 

Yeah, I evaluate coaches on their entire record. What they’ve accomplished and what they haven’t. I’m funny that way. (Btw, don’t feed me straight lines. That was too easy but I’m not taking the bait.)

I’m fully aware of what Stoops has done at Uk. He’s made hay recruiting Ohio kids. If you’re saying that if he goes to Oxford on Saturday and upsets the Rebels that you’ll still think Kiffin is the better coach then I’m not going to hire you as my Athletic Director.

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

During the lead up to his draft there was a stat on Mac Jones saying he'd thrown to his 2nd read on less than 10% of his pass attempts. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2931907-mac-jones-nfl-draft-2021-scouting-report-for-new-england-patriots-qb.amp.html

he’s not a great athlete but he’s a better qb than Hudson card will ever be. Not needing your second read means he hit his first read a fucking shit ton (117 catches for 1800 yards) and that guy won a heisman because of it. Metchie went for 915 yards as the second option lol. 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:53 PM, immamac said:

Feel the same. He was such a cunt he had to go. 
I don’t feel the same about Sark I think he has potential and don’t think it’s over yet. It just hasn’t clicked for him what it means to be a head coach at an elite program. PK is a big red flag/issue he needs to deal with. 

I feel the exact same way. Herman is a pretty good coach, but he isn't good enough nor does he possess the gravitas to be as much of a dick as he is. His recruiting will always be limited by this fact and his lack of authenticity, so I doubt he'll ever reach elite status. Sark on the other hand possesses a lot of the ingredients to become a great head coach, but damn he has a poor feel for in game management. Plus it looks like he suffers from that same ailment that a lot of coordinators suffer from in his inability to fill out a high level staff on the other side of his area of expertise. 

• Hook 'Em 5

• ztejas changed the title to ztejas sucks