ztejas sucks

ztejas

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Seems a bold and unduly pessimistic take. Good coaches can have bad games.

Yes,  but bend and then break defensive strategy married to a short play offense is going to lead to the Tech game.  Don't worry though as it will occur again multiple times in the near future

Seems a bold and unduly pessimistic take. Good coaches can have bad games.

Sark is in his 9th season as a head coach, a sample size of nearly 100 games. Don’t even know how many more he’s been the play caller. PK has 15 years of experience as a DC.

They are what they are at this point.
  • Hook 'Em 6

13 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Casey Thompson and Hudson card aren’t covering up deficiencies on football teams, they need to be playing at a place like utsa. Our roster is still young and full of holes, the qb position needs to be above average at making plays when the game is on the line. It is what it is. Ewers or bust. 

And Matt Nordgren was the back-up to Vince Young.   Every program has players who are not all-world and they put them in a better position to succeed due to staffing around them.  We should be able to win games with Card and put him in a spot to succeed.  Going away from plays that work, and trying to force plays that the defense has figured out, not making sure the right players in there (didn't tech attack J. Barron's spot whenever he was subbed?) is a huge coaching issue.  Worthy is an an above average WR but the dude needs to refocus on catching.  

I recall Mack's (VY) teams could run plays that we wanted even if the other team knew it was coming because we were just better.  This didn't work as well in subsequent years.  Sark' Alabama teams probably had the same ability of doing so and I wonder if he still has this mindset.  The RoCat bullshit which fools exactly 0 people, is absurd.  Card was all by himself (wide open) and all 11 Tech players were watching our RBs.   Card was a WR.  RoJo was a QB.  If you are going to do this shit, throw the damn ball from time to time otherwise shelve it completely.  

The staff really failed this game.  

• Hook 'Em 6

Even in the early Mack years when we weren’t sure he was the guy, he almost always managed a close game well and won.  Even then had to go balls to the wall with a national championship team to win a conference championship.  I want the Sark thing to work out, but I’m not optimistic after watching the boneheaded game management at Tech.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But, this drives at the hiring problem.  We talked to the head coaches at competitive P5 programs and they told us to go away.

That means you have to take a flyer on someone with a good record at a lesser program or less than HC experience at a competitive program.

And, I'm not sure it is apples-to-apples anymore, but Royal's pre-Texas record didn't "warrant" the Texas job.

We keep applying hindsight bias to all this stuff and that's all good and well, but that's not how it really works out there.

I don't disagree, it's just a funny situation where a guy's actual HC experience was ignored by two major programs in favor of his coordinator experience under two all time HCs.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But, this drives at the hiring problem.  We talked to the head coaches at competitive P5 programs and they told us to go away.

I don't agree with this. 

During the Strong hiring process Texas whiffed on some "competitive P5" coaches but that was because Steve Patterson was in charge. Texas zeroed in on Herman from the start. With Sark it looks like Texas made a panic hire after missing on Urban. 

There are several head coaches at competitive P5 programs that would take the Texas job. 

47 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yes    Just a bad day for sark.  He’s never blown a double digit lead to an inferior opponent at Texas

Well, I have mostly erased last season, but he put up first-half leads on very likely superior opponents several times and the players ran out of execution and gas, and maybe Sark gameplan.

EDIT:  So I looked.  Yeah, we lost to Baylor, OSU, and OU in the 4th quarter.  All of those teams ranked significantly higher than UT, and rightfully so.

OU Is the only one where we had a double digit halftime lead.  And I consider the first half of that game a coaching tour de force.

We never actually led the Kansas game, same with WVU, both lost in the 4Q/OT. And got our shit pushed by Arkansas and ISU.  We can debate all day which of those teams are "inferior opponents," except maybe KU.

Facts are pesky.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't agree with this. 

During the Strong hiring process Texas whiffed on some "competitive P5" coaches but that was because Steve Patterson was in charge. Texas zeroed in on Herman from the start. With Sark it looks like Texas made a panic hire after missing on Urban. 

There are several head coaches at competitive P5 programs that would take the Texas job. 

I was basically confining my comments to the Sark hire.  We've committed all varieties of coach hire malpractice the last few years.  I'm not sure the Sarkisian hire is Exhibit A compared to Strong and Herman.  Which are probably Exhibits B and A, respectively, with Sarkisian a distant C.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I was basically confining my comments to the Sark hire.  We've committed all varieties of coach hire malpractice the last few years.  I'm not sure the Sarkisian hire is Exhibit A compared to Strong and Herman.  Which are probably Exhibits B and A, respectively, with Sarkisian a distant C.

Definitely but I don't view these hires as distinct failures or of "all varieties." 

All 3 recent hires had minimal to no success at the power conference level prior to Texas. It's almost like that mold isn't working. Go hire a coach with proven success at the highest level. There are plenty of proven coaches at the power conference level that I believe would take the Texas job. Gundy, Kiffin, Stoops are just a few that come to mind. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Nivek said:

The RoCat bullshit which fools exactly 0 people, is absurd.  Card was all by himself (wide open) and all 11 Tech players were watching our RBs.   Card was a WR.  RoJo was a QB.  If you are going to do this shit, throw the damn ball from time to time otherwise shelve it completely.  

That actually indicates that the play design is solid, but the execution flawed.  Do we know RoJo wasn't supposed to throw the ball or did he choose not to, or fail to see Card.

As much as we love us some RoJo, there's a reason he's not in the QB room anymore.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I have mostly erased last season, but he put up first-half leads on very likely superior opponents several times and the players ran out of execution and gas.

EDIT:  So I looked.  Yeah, we lost to Baylor, OSU, and OU in the 4th quarter.  All of those teams ranked significantly higher than UT, and rightfully so.

OU Is the only one where we had a double digit halftime lead.  And I consider the first half of that game a coaching tour de force.

We never actually led the Kansas game. Same with WVU. And got our shit pushed by Arkansas and ISU

Facts are pesky.

Fuck your facts dude.  Sark would go 4-4 in conference with VY and crew.  Prove I'm wrong.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I have mostly erased last season, but he put up first-half leads on very likely superior opponents several times and the players ran out of execution and gas.

We never actually led the Kansas game, same with WVU, both lost in the 4Q/OT. And got our shit pushed by Arkansas and ISU

Facts are pesky.

We were beating ISU at half 

14 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Mack didn’t go undefeated with Ricky Williams and Bijan can’t hold Ricky’s jock. Ricky rushed for 2100 yards and scored 24 TD’s, oh and we lost to Tech that year. Casey Thompson and Hudson card aren’t covering up deficiencies on football teams, they need to be playing at a place like utsa. Our roster is still young and full of holes, the qb position needs to be above average at making plays when the game is on the line. It is what it is. Ewers or bust. 

Neither Casey Thompson nor Hudson Card would play ahead of UTSA's starter right now either.

9 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Ah the old "Mack left the cupboard bare" excuse. Haven't heard that one in awhile. 

Mack left David Ash and Tyrone Swoopes in the QB room for Charlie Strong. Ash lasted a game or so before he had to retire. Mack also left a legacy where Texas didn't recruit an offensive linemen after 2003 that was drafted until Connor Williams (or Sam Cosmi), I think. That's pretty incredible really.

36 minutes ago, Red Five said:

At Washington, USC, and Texas. To this point he hasn't come close to winning a conference championship. This seems problematic. 

His one full year at USC, the Trojans tied for second in the Pac-12 South, one game behind Arizona.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Definitely but I don't view these hires as distinct failures or of "all varieties." 

All 3 recent hires had minimal to no success at the power conference level prior to Texas. It's almost like that mold isn't working. Go hire a coach with proven success at the highest level. There are plenty of proven coaches at the power conference level that I believe would take the Texas job. Gundy, Kiffin, Stoops are just a few that come to mind. 

Fair.  I just meant from "thorough search" to complete impulse hire.  I guess we'll never know for sure, but at least a couple of "proven" P5 coaches in Meyer and Kelly turned us down in the Sarkisian round.

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair.  I just meant from "thorough search" to complete impulse hire.  I guess we'll never know for sure, but at least a couple of "proven" P5 coaches in Meyer and Kelly turned us down in the Sarkisian round.

I never saw any real confirmation that Texas wanted Kelly. 

Based on timing, it looks like Texas went all in on Urban and then made a panic hire shortly after. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I never saw any real confirmation that Texas wanted Kelly. 

Based on timing, it looks like Texas went all in on Urban and then made a panic hire shortly after. 

I think the story is that Kelly might've been approached after the Urban deal fell apart and talks didn't go far when Kelly told CDC & Crew that he wanted the Urban deal to come to Austin. Glad we didn't do that. LSU basically did.

As much as we love us some RoJo, there's a reason he's not in the QB room anymore.

Because Tom Herman was desperate and mismanaged the hell out of the RB room?

I agree with your assessment of the Sark hire, even if we disagree about the prognosis for this staff. Texas obviously swung but the fences with Meyer and who knows who else. They struck out, Tom Herman was a lame duck, and they had to do something. I didn’t like the hire and would have preferred to take another flyer on an up and comer than someone we knew most likely could not do the job. But I don’t think Sark was a shiny object ala Herman or Strong.

Hoping Dave Aranda doesn’t take a top tier job in the next two or three years while the Sark experiment runs its course. I think that’s your successful P5 hire right there.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

And Matt Nordgren was the back-up to Vince Young.   Every program has players who are not all-world and they put them in a better position to succeed due to staffing around them.  We should be able to win games with Card and put him in a spot to succeed.  Going away from plays that work, and trying to force plays that the defense has figured out, not making sure the right players in there (didn't tech attack J. Barron's spot whenever he was subbed?) is a huge coaching issue.  Worthy is an an above average WR but the dude needs to refocus on catching.  

I recall Mack's (VY) teams could run plays that we wanted even if the other team knew it was coming because we were just better.  This didn't work as well in subsequent years.  Sark' Alabama teams probably had the same ability of doing so and I wonder if he still has this mindset.  The RoCat bullshit which fools exactly 0 people, is absurd.  Card was all by himself (wide open) and all 11 Tech players were watching our RBs.   Card was a WR.  RoJo was a QB.  If you are going to do this shit, throw the damn ball from time to time otherwise shelve it completely.  

The staff really failed this game.  

Yep. And re: the RoCat, i have a friend that insists to me that Sark is "saving those other plays" out of that look for better opponents. I roll my eyes at that. The whole point of that look is that you are putting it on film that you can do different things out of it. If you run the exact same play out of that formation every time you are in it, there is no element of surprise. If you truly are "saving plays for later" the only person you are outsmarting is yourself.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think the story is that Kelly might've been approached after the Urban deal fell apart and talks didn't go far when Kelly told CDC & Crew that he wanted the Urban deal to come to Austin. Glad we didn't do that. LSU basically did.

Kelly is making less than 10mm a year.  If that's what we offered Urban, no wonder he turned us down.  Not saying I wanted Kelly, but his LSU salary looks par for the course to get a guy to jump ship from a major program.

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yep. And re: the RoCat, i have a friend that insists to me that Sark is "saving those other plays" out of that look for better opponents. I roll my eyes at that. The whole point of that look is that you are putting it on film that you can do different things out of it. If you run the exact same play out of that formation every time you are in it, there is no element of surprise. If you truly are "saving plays for later" the only person you are outsmarting is yourself.

agreed.  if youre getting beat by fucking tech there is no point in saving plays for some other game. what good is it to save plays after your team is 2-6 and the season is done?

sark has negative creativity in the run game. most of our successful runs come from bijan going superman mode. otherwise, we just ram him down the middle for 1-2 yards, get into a 3rd and long situation and might as well fucking punt because we choke up on those downs.

• Hook 'Em 3

one other thing, the commentators were calling this out during the game, but our pre-snap alignment gives away our plays. if bijan is in tight near the qb, its 100% a run. if bijan is lined up farther away from the qb, its a pass.  OU got called out on this a few years ago when their RT would have a different stance on pass/run that we were able to exploit and win.

that is some piss poor fucking shit right there. 

Edited by DiceHands
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Kelly is making less than 10mm a year.  If that's what we offered Urban, no wonder he turned us down.  Not saying I wanted Kelly, but his LSU salary looks par for the course to get a guy to jump ship from a major program.

I thought we were talking $12M/year for Urban. Once he said no, we went to Kelly and he told us he was going to require the same deal, which we weren't prepared to offer to him.

5 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

agreed.  if youre getting beat by fucking tech there is no point in saving plays for some other game. what good is it to save plays after your team is 2-6 and the season is done?

sark has negative creativity in the run game. most of our successful runs come from bijan going superman mode. otherwise, we just ram him down the middle for 1-2 yards, get into a 3rd and long situation and might as well fucking punt because we choke up on those downs.

The OL is a work-in-progress. It was pretty putrid last year. Aren't we starting two true freshmen? We've killed it recruiting O-line this cycle and last but those guys aren't usually ready to contribute early and we're asking a pair of true freshmen to start. There will be growing pains.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

The OL is a work-in-progress. It was pretty putrid last year. Aren't we starting two true freshmen? We've killed it recruiting O-line this cycle and last but those guys aren't usually ready to contribute early and we're asking a pair of true freshmen to start. There will be growing pains.

Well, one of those true freshmen was our best OL the second he stepped foot on campus. The other has been pretty horrific. 

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I thought we were talking $12M/year for Urban. Once he said no, we went to Kelly and he told us he was going to require the same deal, which we weren't prepared to offer to him.

I don't know about the offer to Kelly, but that's what I recall for Urban.  I was referring to your statement that LSU offered Kelly our Urban deal.  I don't think they did.  They overpaid, but this is free agency, you aren't getting successful coaches to move without overpaying.  I put his deal at LSU about what you can expect to get his experience and success he's had.  That certainly doesn't guarantee anything though.  Maybe in the Kelly saga he wanted the Urban contract from us, but went to LSU for less out of spite of us not offering that.  If you want to win only paying your coaches 5-6mm a year, you are pretty much stuck hiring coordinators or G5 up and comers.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well, one of those true freshmen was our best OL the second he stepped foot on campus. The other has been pretty horrific. 

And doesn't that speak volumes? Again, no reason getting all worked up this week. Ain't nothing happening. If this team continues to shit the bed the rest of the year, changes will be made at some point either with PK or with Sark himself. Personally, I'm not going to get too negative until this movie gets replayed with Ewers back under center. Ewers is here because of Sark and Sark only. Arch Manning is committed to Texas because of Sark and Sark alone (with a big assist from Milwee). I think there's potential here with Sark. I think the offense will be fine sooner or later. I just pray he finds his Venables or whoever can just take over the defensive side and dominate without much need from Sark other than a little recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't know about the offer to Kelly, but that's what I recall for Urban.  I was referring to your statement that LSU offered Kelly our Urban deal.  I don't think they did.  They overpaid, but this is free agency, you aren't getting successful coaches to move without overpaying.  I put his deal at LSU about what you can expect to get his experience and success he's had.  That certainly doesn't guarantee anything though.  Maybe in the Kelly saga he wanted the Urban contract from us, but went to LSU for less out of spite of us not offering that.  If you want to win only paying your coaches 5-6mm a year, you are pretty much stuck hiring coordinators or G5 up and comers.

Yeah, I readily admit I'm going off memory and memory alone. I thought Kelly asked for the same deal we offered Urban and we weren't going there. Perhaps Kelly thought there was more talent and commitment to football at LSU vs Texas and he was willing to listen for a few bucks less. Or did things change quickly at Notre Dame?

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

And doesn't that speak volumes? Again, no reason getting all worked up this week. Ain't nothing happening. If this team continues to shit the bed the rest of the year, changes will be made at some point either with PK or with Sark himself. Personally, I'm not going to get too negative until this movie gets replayed with Ewers back under center. Ewers is here because of Sark and Sark only. Arch Manning is committed to Texas because of Sark and Sark alone (with a big assist from Milwee). I think there's potential here with Sark. I think the offense will be fine sooner or later. I just pray he finds his Venables or whoever can just take over the defensive side and dominate without much need from Sark other than a little recruiting.

I want to believe that you are right and hope that you are.  I would rather that thread about me not giving a fuck any more come back to bite me in the ass.  I hope it’s such a bad take that it results in @immamac giving me a permanent title on this board of “Drunken Clown”. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Sark and Kiffin were both hired by USC because USC wanted to recreate the Pete Carroll magic.  They figured they both knew the system and could keep the train running like Day and Shaw.  Both turned out to fail spectacularly.  Hell, OU just hired Venables for the same reason.

Kiffin failed miserably. Sark was 9-4 in Year One at USC and Cody Kessler had a 39-to-5 TD/INT ratio. USC finished in the Top 25. Sark was fired five games into Year 2 not due to coaching performance necessarily but because of the substance-abuse issues and allegedly coming to practice drunk or being drunk during a game. This was on the heels of his wheels-off performance at an offseason alumni fundraiser where he went up and spoke and was obviously under-the-influence. I seem to recall the explanation later was that he took some prescription medication and then had a little alcohol -- it was bullshit.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Kiffin failed miserably. Sark was 9-4 in Year One at USC and Cody Kessler had a 39-to-5 TD/INT ratio. USC finished in the Top 25. Sark was fired five games into Year 2 not due to coaching performance necessarily but because of the substance-abuse issues and allegedly coming to practice drunk or being drunk during a game. This was on the heels of his wheels-off performance at an offseason alumni fundraiser where he went up and spoke and was obviously under-the-influence. I seem to recall the explanation later was that he took some prescription medication and then had a little alcohol -- it was bullshit.

Kiffin did have a 10-2 season there, but he seemed to be an absolute cunt by the end of his tenure much like Herman here.

Just now, Red Five said:

Someone write some alternate fiction on what would have happened if we had hired Gundy in 2013. Or 2016. 

Or Dabo for that matter. 

Here’s the Gundy fan fiction.  0 conference titles, but 10 win seasons every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It's possible the only reason he went 9-4 at SC was because he was coaching looser due to being slightly hammered. This contrasts to his current state where he goes turtle Tom with a 2H lead.

• Hook 'Em 1

Kiffin has won 10 games everywhere he has been for more than 1 year. His issue is he obviously hates to recruit but with NIL at a place like Texas that becomes a whole lot easier (see Riley at USC). Gundy would also do well here for the same reasons and if he was given an elite DC. Stoops would be the worst hire of the three because his offenses suck and he has only finished with 10 wins twice in the easiest division in the SEC and he also gets an extension there for winning 7 games so zero reason to move at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, I readily admit I'm going off memory and memory alone. I thought Kelly asked for the same deal we offered Urban and we weren't going there. Perhaps Kelly thought there was more talent and commitment to football at LSU vs Texas and he was willing to listen for a few bucks less. Or did things change quickly at Notre Dame?

All valid question I am not going to pretend to know the answers to.  It's a new world though.  10 years ago there wasn't any precedent of going out and poaching established winning head coaches from major programs.  Landings like that were all just considered lucky timing.  Now these coaches have shown they can be had, but you are going to have to overpay just like any other free agency.

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Heck they have a good chance at 9-0 going into Bama. Just have to get through Kentucky and LSU 

I sure hope they find a way to keep 8 conference games when we go to the SEC. I don't think many realize how nice it is to basically have 3 bye weeks in non-conference play and if you are lucky, the notable school you schedule for your 4th game is in a down year.

25 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Kelly was 3 wins from passing Knute Rockne as the all time winningest coach at ND when we hired Sark, just had bad timing with that one. Had we waited until 21 to fire Herman we could have gone after Kelly, Kiffin or any of the other proven guys. 

34 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Kiffin has won 10 games everywhere he has been for more than 1 year. His issue is he obviously hates to recruit but with NIL at a place like Texas that becomes a whole lot easier (see Riley at USC). Gundy would also do well here for the same reasons and if he was given an elite DC. Stoops would be the worst hire of the three because his offenses suck and he has only finished with 10 wins twice in the easiest division in the SEC and he also gets an extension there for winning 7 games so zero reason to move at this point. 

Kiffin can recruit but he’s just realized there’s more value in the transfer portal than high school recruits when his school is so far behind in NIL. I just hope Kiffin wouldn’t completely abandon this model at Texas because he’s been the best at utilizing the portal. 

I think you’re really undervaluing what Stoops has done at Kentucky. This was one of the worst historic power conference programs and their last 10 win season was in 1977. This might be Stoops 3rd 10 win season in the last 5 years. Yes, the SEC East isn’t great but Stoops has done an incredible job there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I have mostly erased last season, but he put up first-half leads on very likely superior opponents several times and the players ran out of execution and gas, and maybe Sark gameplan.

We never actually led the Kansas game, same with WVU, both lost in the 4Q/OT. And got our shit pushed by Arkansas and ISU.  We can debate all day which of those teams are "inferior opponents," except maybe KU.

Facts are pesky.

Where’s the trophy for building first half leads against “superior” opponents?  We’re 16 games in.  What is sarks signature win?   He’s worse than herm the worm right now.  But I will acknowledge Charlie left herm a baker cake

45 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Kelly was 3 wins from passing Knute Rockne as the all time winningest coach at ND when we hired Sark, just had bad timing with that one. Had we waited until 21 to fire Herman we could have gone after Kelly, Kiffin or any of the other proven guys. 

I can’t see us ever hiring a guy like kiffin

54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I sure hope they find a way to keep 8 conference games when we go to the SEC. I don't think many realize how nice it is to basically have 3 bye weeks in non-conference play and if you are lucky, the notable school you schedule for your 4th game is in a down year.

STFU that is pussy talk

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I can’t see us ever hiring a guy like kiffin

Why? 

Kiffin is one of the best coaches in the country. He turned Florida Atlantic into a 10 win program after 3 straight 3-9 seasons. Now he's turned Ole Miss into a top 15 program. If Texas isn't willing to hire somebody like Kiffin we might as well accept our fate as mediocre. 

There are maybe only 2 or 3 coaches I would take over Kiffin right now. I view Kiffin much like I do Herman. Kiffin was never a terrible coach but he did some self-reflection after his USC failures and now he's turned into a great coach. Will Herman ever do the same? Probably not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• ztejas changed the title to ztejas sucks