Anyone else still masturbating to 49-0?

Xcalibur

Or is it just me?  That was like the most amazing 3 hours of my life.  Permanent spot on the mental highlight reel.

But seriously, we're going to explode against ISU this Saturday.  We've been stockpiling weapons on offense for years, but we could rarely translate them into wins on the field because we had a persistent bottleneck and lacked a triggerman at quarterback.  But with Ewers, suddenly we have our triggerman there's no more bottleneck.  Our offense is like a rushing tsunami now.  Klatt is 100% sold on Texas and he's already campaigning hard for us to make the CFP as its first 2-loss team.  We're in for a special season.  Anything less than a Big 12 championship at this point would be a huge letdown.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

Or is it just me?  That was like the most amazing 3 hours of my life.  Permanent spot on the mental highlight reel.

But seriously, we're going to explode against ISU this Saturday.  We've been stockpiling weapons on offense for years, but we could rarely translate them into wins on the field because we had a persistent bottleneck and lacked a triggerman at quarterback.  But with Ewers, suddenly we have our triggerman there's no more bottleneck.  Our offense is like a rushing tsunami now.  Klatt is 100% sold on Texas and he's already campaigning hard for us to make the CFP as its first 2-loss team.  We're in for a special season.  Anything less than a Big 12 championship at this point would be a huge letdown.

I'm jerking off to my Sark performance fantasy and have been since before the season began when I was basically drummed out of the fall camp thread by all the doom and gloom people who predicted 5-7 and said this teams ceiling was 7-5. I mocked that assessment and said the offense was going to be awesome, the teams ceiling was 11-1 and that we were likely going to win 10 games counting big 12 title game and bowl game.  My only hedge was- unless injury at QB or a ton of injuries in some other room decimate our offense.  So far feeling pretty pretty good about that prediction with Ewers looking incredible.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm jerking off to my Sark performance fantasy and have been since before the season began when I was basically drummed out of the fall camp thread by all the doom and gloom people who predicted 5-7 and said this teams ceiling was 7-5. I mocked that assessment and said the offense was going to be awesome, the teams ceiling was 11-1 and that we were likely going to win 10 games counting big 12 title game and bowl game.  My only hedge was- unless injury at QB or a ton of injuries in some other room decimate our offense.  So far feeling pretty pretty good about that prediction with Ewers looking incredible.  

FWIW, I really enjoyed your pre-season Sark predictions and I thought you were spot on.  I never understood the Sark hate that so many on this site have.  Dude is a walking redemption story.  And that includes taking things to the next level as head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No one thought the defense would be any good. I never got that. 

18 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

But before we can start awarding ourselves Victoria Crosses and Congressional Medals of Honor and so on and so forth and such like... I think I'd better point out that one, we are still incredibly young on the offensive line. That two, our wide receiver room does not have the depth we need yet. That three, with as good as Ewers appears to be, his college experience consists of one game against Spare University, half of the first quarter against Bama and a very impressive beat down against ou. There will be growing pains.  And that four, I don't think our little genius Sergeant Miller there has even got a box of matches left in his suitcase. And so I think we can take it, gentlemen, that we're going to have a very long walk home.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I feel like the people that checked out post tech are really missing out on something special this season. 49-0 will likely never happen again. It was one of the greatest college football experiences of my lifetime. It was surreal. I'll never forget it. 

So, yes?

5 minutes ago, Xcalibur said:

FWIW, I really enjoyed your pre-season Sark predictions and I thought you were spot on.  I never understood the Sark hate that so many on this site have.  Dude is a walking redemption story.  And that includes taking things to the next level as head coach. 

Thanks man.  

The funny thing is, I wasn't even saying that it must happen that way or it was ordained to happen that way, my real point is that people who say it can't possibly happen that way have their head pretty far up their ass.  

Belicheck was a loser till he wasn't.  
Carrol was the worst hire imaginable at USC (and then people were really skeptical at SEA)

I'm pissed, I'm stunned, it's Mack Brown

Saban was meh at a couple places until he got the machine working and going and on the tracks.

A couple things were just beyond dispute and should have been obvious to anyone paying attention- Sark is 1A or 1B to Riley at playcalling and offense with talent in place, and Texas is a place that it's not super hard to collect talent.  Connect those two things together and figure they are likely to cross each other at some time at UT (talent acquisition meeting up with play calling) and you certainly have a chance for something special to happen.

He Seems to also have the soft skills for this job and people like him. 

Can he manage a roster, manage a defensive staff, continue to get the guys in that he needs, build depth, have a good S&C program?  Does he know what good looks like outside his area of expertise and know how to find it?  I don't know, that's the difference between him being really really successful and "better than what we've had the last 15 years".  But if he keeps getting guys like Ewers and Manning to come play QB for him (and it seems likely that this will continue with his reputation, personality and offensive playcalling chops to go along with development success stories) then our floor probably becomes 8-4 or something like that- which was about where Mack Brown had us in the 2000's.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No one thought the defense would be any good. I never got that. 

I still don't trust the defense if I'm being honest.  Nor the place kicker or punter.  And all of the above have been just fine this year.  But that doesn't mean I go into a game hanging my hat on "this unit or position group is going to be really good" like I do with the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

I feel like the people that checked out post tech are really missing out on something special this season. 49-0 will likely never happen again. It was one of the greatest college football experiences of my lifetime. It was surreal. I'll never forget it. 

It's incredible to me how dead this board seems to be when compared to the excitement that has been in the stands and the sense of giddyness I personally feel about what I'm seeing from the program this year.  I would have thought people would be coming out of the woodwork to post and jump on board.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It's incredible to me how dead this board seems to be when compared to the excitement that has been in the stands and the sense of giddyness I personally feel about what I'm seeing from the program this year.  I would have thought people would be coming out of the woodwork to post and jump on board.  

I've seen it within my own friend group it took a lot of justification for people to abandon ship. I think they are now justifying not getting sucked back in and all of them are going to regret it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Like imagine the energy it takes to convince yourself that whatever you did with your kid or a friend's wedding or anything else that doesn't even compare to the largest historical beatdown in one of the longest and largest rivalries in college football on a perfect weather day with a crowd that was the best Ive ever seen was a better decision. 

It's real and it's sad. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Like imagine the energy it takes to convince yourself that whatever you did with your kid or a friend's wedding or anything else that doesn't even compare to the largest historical beatdown in one of the longest and largest rivalries in college football on a perfect weather day with a crowd that was the best Ive ever seen was a better decision. 

It's real and it's sad. 

Yeah, I mean if you are a real sports fan and not a casual it just seems like you should be all in on this team.  I wonder if we win 2 more before the bye if that will increase posts and engagement.  I started my ISU game week thread with "what a joyful time to be a longhorn" b/c that's just what I felt after that game, the trajectory, Ewers, Manning heading here, OU in disarray, aggy stepping on their own dicks.  I mean, it's pretty great last couple weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, immamac said:

were you wearing your aggy ring at the game?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This is accurate. For me, it's the Rose Bowl, 27-25, and then this. I place it above the Michigan Rose Bowl, OSU Fiesta Bowl, and UGA Sugar Bowl.

OU embarrassed us for years. Since I've been following since around 2000, they've dominated that series badly. You could feel that it all just changed last Saturday. We made that team quit and it felt amazing. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I said after tech that I would probably check out for the rest of the season if it wasn't for Ewers.

I've spent too much of the last 12 years miserable during and after games like tech.  Life is too short if we keep putting product like that on the field.

That said, what we saw against bama was confirmed against OU.  This team, in all phases, could not be more different with/without Ewers.  I can only assume it all comes from confidence that we can win any game with him under center, as rationally the defense shouldn't really be that impacted by the change but clearly they are.

Until given reason to think otherwise, I believe we're a top 30 team without QE and a top 15 team with.  How high in the top 15 depends on how consistent we can be.  It's easy to get motivated for Bama and OU, let's see if we can maintain that intensity for ISU and the rest of the Big 12.

If we can, there's not a team left on the schedule that should scare us.  Yes, OU is bad this year, but that was a dominant, dominant win over a team that still has a lot of talent.  We won't lose another game in conference if we scheme and execute like that weekly (and stay healthy).

Now we sit back and see if we can sustain it.  A decade of disappointment tells me not to get my hopes up, but I'm doing it anyway.  Just like the team, I believe as long as we have QE.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

70, the answer is 70.

10 drives, 10 touchdowns.  A perfect game so to speak.

Disagree, part of the beauty of the beat down is the disrespect of putting in our 3rd stringers early in the 4th quarter. Watching Wright hand off to Blue was hilarious. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love beating the ever-loving shit out of OU just as much as anyone, but let's not sit here & pretend that was some sort of halfway decent OU team. That team sucked. The coaches sucked, the players sucked, the game plans sucked, the execution of the sucky game plans sucked. This wasn't the beatdown turned nail-biter that 2018 was when we were completely dominating a pretty good OU team, or the Strong team that demoralized a good OU team. Those wins were especially sweet because you knew that OU was a good team. This felt more like beating BU in the late 90s where you just wanted to make sure you left the game healthy & get the backups some good reps in the 3rd & 4th quarters. 

I think more people will jump onboard in a couple of weeks when we go to Stillwater & beat a pretty good OSU team by 10+.

• Fuck You 5

Fuck OU! It was not until we scored in the third quarter, that I started to think this could happen. Then when we notched 14, I felt we could see the true growth going on, putting away a team we should, winning the third quarter. It was then I could relax (yes fan PTSD is a thing), and truly enjoy the ass kicking. Yes they suck, IDGAF! We did what we have struggled to do in forever.

In the past 12 years, our teams have played up, or down to their competition. Yes OU blows, but we put our foot on their throat, and kept it there. What a sight to behold. I want to see the team grow and learn from this and apply it to the remainder of the season. Will they? That is the question. And I will always be there, watching. Fuck OU!

Signed,
All ways a fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

First time it's happened in 100+ years? 

I mean, I'm not a Texas fan, so I'm just looking objectively at it. You can trash almost 100 years of results because the scoring deltas exploded and made the old numbers obsolete. But more than that, a school of Texas' resources will have years they are up and OU is down. I wouldn't think you don't boat race them again at some point, it's probably actually.

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, I'm not a Texas fan, so I'm just looking objectively at it. You can trash almost 100 years of results because the scoring deltas exploded and made the old numbers obsolete. But more than that, a school of Texas' resources will have years they are up and OU is down. I wouldn't think you don't boat race them again at some point, it's probably actually.

A little heteroskedasticity never hurt anyone, but the point is that Texas hasn't shown a track record of being this dominant over OU ever. It would be absolutely absurd to assume lightning would strike twice despite the probabilities. 

26 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No way I read anything dumber than this for another month. 

You said Sam was better at this point than Ewers & Colt so..

On "felt like" I meant in terms of how good that team was not how cathartic it was to beat them. Should have been clearer but I figured the "I love beating the shit out of OU" at the beginning would make that pretty obvious. I enjoyed watching every second of that beatdown, but that was far from even a mediocre OU team so acting like we just beat Bama, or won the Big 12, or something along those lines is a bit much. We exorcised the Red River demon, now the reckoning comes for ISU & then on to Stillwater.