Texas vs iowa state - 11am on ABC

Pancho

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Just scrolling through my pictures from yesterday, I also got a nice video of Bijan hitting a gap for a nice 1st down pickup

Pretty awesome way to watch a quarter of football! I am incredibly glad I didn't have to watch an ISU touchdown up close and personal lol

I hope you weren't the alum marching with a bright orange plastic trombone 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I hope you weren't the alum marching with a bright orange plastic trombone 

Naw dawg, TUBA! Although those plastic horns are fun, you can really make some noise with em lol. And they're cheap so you don't care if it gets knocked around in the stands like you might with a concert horn

Edited by Captainant
accidentally a word

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Disagree. I liked the call. Doing that every once in a while forces people to take that into consideration on 4th down. And it should have worked, just didn't execute.

You are wrong on this. The risk in this specific situation was way too great to not do your best play to get the three yards. ISU had just went up 7-0. You can’t risk giving them the ball at the 40 and chance to go up 14-0. So we called a play where Ewers throws the pass he is the worst at to a receiver who has the worst hands in the team. In an important situation.

if you want to do that occasionally on 4th to keep defenses honest, you do it when we are up a couple touchdowns,  not down 7-0 and can give momentum back to the other team.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had to leave when it was 7-0 and Texas looked asleep and behind lethargic and just now getting to see the score/highlights. I’m shocked they won this game. This would’ve been a loss the last 8 seasons. They should’ve lost today - thanks for that wide open pass drop!
Lots of fix. Pokie is a terrible matchup for this team. 

You left the game after one score?

Despite what the numbers suggested I thought this was a challenging matchup on both sides of the ball. Iowa st defense vs a young QB…. Quinn missed some big throws and had an easy one dropped, but he didn’t turn it over and we almost ran for 200 on them. That’s a win. Their dink and dunk vs our defense. We can’t get off the fuckin field. We stuffed the run but let the biggest JAG QB in the conference carve us up. 

I laughed when I saw the spread… take the win and forget about it. We lose this game last year by a lot. 

21 minutes ago, po elvis said:

You are wrong on this. The risk in this specific situation was way too great to not do your best play to get the three yards. ISU had just went up 7-0. You can’t risk giving them the ball at the 40 and chance to go up 14-0. So we called a play where Ewers throws the pass he is the worst at to a receiver who has the worst hands in the team. In an important situation.

if you want to do that occasionally on 4th to keep defenses honest, you do it when we are up a couple touchdowns,  not down 7-0 and can give momentum back to the other team.

I agree. That is a play you shoot for when you are trying to extend a lead to double digits. It's not a play you try down 7-0 and your offense struggling.

Just rewatched the game. ISU has no room to complain about the refs. The two holding calls on Texas were both weak and wiped out big plays, especially the one on the kick return. The missed facemask call at the goal line on Roschon near the end was obvious and right in front of an official. The obvious pass interference calls missed twice. And the play they're whining about was correct. It was a fumble. It was not targeting.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Quinn played fine.  Iowa State plays a solid defensive scheme and their players are extremely sound fundamentally.  I wish with our athletic advantage we played as solid a scheme/fundamentals as they do.  He missed some throws but then again so did Bryce Young last night...it happens.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm worried defensively but I'm far from convinced Oklahoma State is very good. 

They've played 1 team above .500 and they lost. 

I’ve watched most of their games and they play with intensity. Texas better be motivated or they will get their doors blown off. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

This game was 3 plays from being a complete blowout. 

Well they had their chance to go up big early as well and blew it. Then we had our chances to go up big and step on their necks and blew it. Just how it goes.

I am getting really tired of these blown double digit 2nd half leads, but at least we have double digit second half leads to blow I guess.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

I remember reading a Scipio recap from one of the Josh Freeman/Jordy Nelson Kstate games where he said something like "as I type this, Jordy Nelson is still wide open over the middle of the field."

Well, as I type this Xavier Hutchinson is still wide open on third and long.

Every single third and long I was screaming at the screen to put 3 guys on him.  Hell, bring in 8 dbs and put them all on Hutchinson, because we all knew that's where the pass was going.  When he was open by 10 yards on the pass he dropped I lost my shit. Sure, he dropped it, but that's the one guy we had to have multiple guys keyed on at that point in the game.

Yesterday must have been what fans felt like facing Colt/Shipley.  We all knew where the ball was going on must-make downs, yet somehow he's still wide open.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Naw dawg, TUBA! Although those plastic horns are fun, you can really make some noise with em lol. And they're cheap so you don't care if it gets knocked around in the stands like you might with a concern horn

I was a concern horn for most of the game.  @Captainant

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

it was funny reading people's posts on here crying about that call while watching Tennessee do the exact same thing.

Our defense made the plays when they had to, especially with the turnovers.  And that was absolutely huge.

But otherwise, our defense was a beating to watch for significant stretches.  The most galling thing to me yesterday was seeing Iowa State going for it on 4th and long in their own end of the field.  They knew they would make it, and sadly, I did, too.  If our pass defense was even remotely close to competent, that would have been an obvious punt situation.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Or the fact that one of the moments most embedded in Texas Longhorns history was the Street to Peschel pass on 4th down.

Also roll left...

But yes, let's play like a bunch of pussies that are too afraid to entrust our 1.000 rated QB to hit wide open deep shots. Because that's how you win championships. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

did you see the guy for Tennessee catch 5 tds vs Bama? shit happens I guess

If he's covered but makes a play, that's one thing.

They had exactly one receiver who was eating our lunch, and somehow he was wide open in the red zone with minutes to go in the 4th and them needing a TD to win.

It was the kind of bust that likely loses us the game if he doesn't drop it.

If another player is that open or if he's not open but makes a crazy play, ok.  Having their best wr wide fucking open at that point in the game (after he'd been burning us consistently) is coaching malpractice.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This game was 3 plays from being a complete blowout. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

True, but also a few plays from us losing. 

Granted I think we make plays like that more often than that ISU team does. 

Congrats, y’all just described 90% of every football game ever played. Good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cjx7o17A93z/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Cross posting from the big 12 refs thread, clearly not targeting from this angle. Great play by Cook 

Great angle.  Someone who twitters please share and tag billy loochi.  I'd love to see which part of that clip he considers textbook targeting gifted to Texas as a no call.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Hook 'Em 1

From le model, Texas stands pat - Michigan jumps us while Wake Forest falls.

image.png.eb7958a44d3560daa8c21554548139dd.png

Out of all top 25 defenses, Texas is the most battle-tested (played the most good offenses) and most reliable (fewest let-down games).

Most of the lightly-tested teams have washed out of the top 20 (Minnesota was there last week).  I think NCSU is the most suspect, highly rated defense but lowly battle-tested.

6 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Out of all top 25 defenses, Texas is the most battle-tested (played the most good offenses) and most reliable (fewest let-down games).

Most of the lightly-tested teams have washed out of the top 20 (Minnesota was there last week).  I think NCSU is the most suspect, highly rated defense but lowly battle-tested.

#7 defense my ass

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Great angle.  Someone who twitters please share and tag billy loochi.  I'd love to see which part of that clip he considers textbook targeting gifted to Texas as a no call.

I agree, but whomever does the Twatter post, please make sure to insult his intelligence and ridiculously pathetic school.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This (your?) model has usc moving up 7 spots after losing to Utah and Utah moving up 6 after beating usc.  Which leaves usc still several spots ahead of Utah. 

and lsu dropping 4 after a decent road win. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

We don't need to be playing Cain. There are other options. 

Yeah, my wife even said he was bad, but she enjoyed herself. I spent my time bitching unless Rojo and Bijan were on the field, and Quinn for the most part. And then of course Cook's hit. I screamed THAT'S A FUCKING FUMBLE! She wasn't even embarrassed since I'm a graduate and I love my team even when we suck. She's a Florida grad, and doesn't give a fuck about football 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This (your?) model has usc moving up 7 spots after losing to Utah and Utah moving up 6 after beating usc.  Which leaves usc still several spots ahead of Utah. 

and lsu dropping 4 after a decent road win. 

USC vs Utah is not doing much for either team.  It looks like very slight upward pressure for both teams.  I'd have to look through to see but it's probably because previous opponents look better this week. Oregon State pulled off a big upset.  They were a common opponent of both teams - although USC also played Wazzu, who was on the receiving end.

LSU's win was pretty ho-hum from the perspective of a top 20 team. (I understand what it means from a rivalry perspective.)  But it's actually a net negative for them in the model.  They fell in part because they have a relatively high-rated but also untested defense, which gives them plenty of space to fall when they have let downs against mediocre offenses.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:23 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Damn that’s a game we for sure usually lose. I’m guessing that’s been said 1008 times by now but I’m joining in. Ugly, solid d, bijan…good-not great, worthy-why can’t we use him more? He has to have the full route tree. That route was filthy….

Worthy said in the post game that he runs that route/play in practice and the D plays it well because they see it all the time. So he knew they hadn’t seen it and that he knew it was going to work. 😁🤘🏼

20 hours ago, Deej said:

Sarcastic Cartoon GIF

Hey! That’s me!

18 hours ago, taybo20 said:

ISU fans are taking this loss hard man…

Yeah, we’ll we’ve taken the last 3 pretty hard so it’s their turn to be bitter. At least they have that sweet culture to fall back on. 😬

4 hours ago, The Deuce said:
85D25738-DE74-43B4-B7E9-DACD969AD801.jpeg.0337ce8e1e7d1b6ad0a5e034ec8abd50.jpeg

I’m… ok.