What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston? Non-CR thread

crash_davis

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have not seen one yet.  But I will post when it is available or pm you.  He was a Texas grad.  Worked as attorney at Lewis Brisbois.  

Thanks I was able to figure out who it was from the information on this thread. I didn’t know him but see he was friends with some of my friends from Facebook. Awful tragedy. May he rest in peace.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

Apparently the two actually went outside and the altercation turned physical, then the agitator went to his car and got a gun. In Texas it does not matter how or who starts a fight, if you feel threatened you can respond with force if it’s reasonable. A fight with a stranger could constitute fear for life, will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Apparently the two actually went outside and the altercation turned physical, then the agitator went to his car and got a gun. In Texas it does not matter how or who starts a fight, if you feel threatened you can respond with force if it’s reasonable. A fight with a stranger could constitute fear for life, will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

From the article, it sounds like it was a shit show from top to bottom:

Utilizing cuss words and other profanities, Jeff stepped in to try and deescalate the situation try and calm him down. 

Investigators say the angry McDonald's customer grabbed a gun from his car and opened fire on 46-year-old Jeffrey Limmer, killing him. 

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

From the article, it sounds like it was a shit show from top to bottom:

Previous sentence was poorly written but context seems like the shooter was the one screaming 

According to Houston Police, Limmer was at McDonald's on I-10 at Chimney Rock Saturday around 6 p.m. when another man became irate at the workers

4 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Previous sentence was poorly written but context seems like the shooter was the one screaming 

I read it as bitchass customer was screaming at workers, Limmer starts cussing at bitchass customer. If true, not a great idea. Still noble to divert anger away from workers though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

This is a horrible story. Seems like he was a good guy as many here knew him. But if the shooter went to his car he could have just as easily driven off as using a gun. I don't know how he could have felt threatened much less responding to non-lifethreatening force with a gun. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Of course I haven't seen a video, but the accounts don't say anything about Limmer chasing him to his car.

• Hook 'Em 2

If "going to your car to get a gun after a shoving match" = reasonable fear that justifies shooting someone in self defense, then there really isn't much point in still having laws against killing people. 

• Hook 'Em 6

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

If you had the chance to walk to your car, then you were no longer threatened?

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

This is a horrible story. Seems like he was a good guy as many here knew him. But if the shooter went to his car he could have just as easily driven off as using a gun. I don't know how he could have felt threatened much less responding to non-lifethreatening force with a gun. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Of course I haven't seen a video, but the accounts don't say anything about Limmer chasing him to his car.

People driving around with guns in the car are looking to use said gun. Why else have a gun in the car? 

An unstable dude making a scene and yelling at hourly employees at McDonald's is exactly the type of person who I think would shoot someone over a verbal altercation. This is the America that we live in.

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Some do.  And he lived nearby.

Yeah, if you live in Hunters Creek and are coming from downtown you probably exit Chimney Rock to Memorial Dr. and head up Kuhlman.

Saw an interview with his sister and she said he would go up there to do some work. 

Hopefully there's video or witnesses willing to talk because I don't think this description will do very much 

Detectives say the gunman hasn't been caught yet. He drove away after the fatal shooting in a blue Ford pick-up truck. 

This hits close to home, well close to my first apartment in Houston over 40 years ago. 

That apartment is long gone & has been replaced by an IKEA, but still - damn, an argument over an order at McDonald's, I guess no onions means no onions

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

I imagine it's only a matter of time before they pick the dude up.

Between the inside of McDonalds, the parking lot, traffic cams etc...there are cameras fucking everywhere.

And apparently shooter was requesting a refund.  If he paid with a card, they have his identity.  I am wondering if they are not releasing a description -- which they surely have from witnesses and video -- because they know who he is already and don't really need more information because it's just a matter of finding him.

• Hook 'Em 1

I hope that McDonalds keeping their $10 refund was worth it. I don’t blame them but just as most stores are told not to stop thieves, I would think that they could be taught to give an agitated customer a refund, free refill, more fries, whatever. Even if the employees are not taught that, people should just realize to do basically do whatever is necessary to calm the situation.

On 5/7/2024 at 8:58 AM, Tylerocks said:

I imagine it's only a matter of time before they pick the dude up.

Between the inside of McDonalds, the parking lot, traffic cams etc...there are cameras fucking everywhere.

I’m familiar with that McDonalds. There’s video for sure. 

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I heard cops know who shooter is and arrest is just a matter of time.  I hope that’s true. 

Hopefully the perp does the right thing and eats a bullet. 

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

Hopefully the perp does the right thing and eats a bullet. 

I disagree. Letting the guy go out on his own terms means letting avoid facing justice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I disagree. Letting the guy go out on his own terms means letting avoid facing justice. 

Only losers in this story.  No winners.

new most houston way to die:

HPD said the big rig, which was hauling a bulldozer, collided with a person in a small Mazda who was trying to switch lanes.

The collision caused the big rig driver to lose control and, ultimately, the bulldozer unattached from its trailer.

The bulldozer then tumbled into oncoming traffic in the eastbound lanes and struck two cars. Houston Fire Department officials initially said two patients were transported from the scene. The driver in one of the cars was pronounced dead, police said.

https://abc13.com/post/houston-freeway-closed-shutdown-traffic-13-alert-north-loop-homestead-road-all-mainlanes-shut/14785034/

On 5/6/2024 at 12:00 PM, Macklemore said:

Do y’all have a link to the victim’s obituary? I am curious if I know him.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/houston-tx/jeffrey-limmer-11801622

He was a really good dude -- kind and no one ever had a bad thing to say about him.  So happy he had gotten his life squared away over the last few years personally, spiritually, and professionally -- as hard as it is for his family and close friends, that has to be comforting.

• Hook 'Em 1

I just found out they have issued an arrest warrant for Limmer's murderer.

Nice that he was out on bond, has a criminal history a mile long, and was literally indicted for aggravated assault the day before he murdered Jeff.  This is just devastating. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I just found out they have issued an arrest warrant for Limmer's murderer.

Nice that he was out on bond, has a criminal history a mile long, and was literally indicted for aggravated assault the day before he murdered Jeff.  This is just devastating. 

The DAs who have pushed for no-cash bail and ROR’ing repeat violent offenders need to answer to the multitude of victims that have died or been injured by criminals who belong in jail. Soros backed DAs can go to hell.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

He was a good kid I’m sure. 

57 year old black male.  Convicted felon.  Indicted for aggravated assault the day before he murdered Jeff.  Out on bond.

Perp has lived all over the country.  I just ran his Harris County records.  Plenty of hits.

Disgusting.  I'll post his name once he is arrested. 

• Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

The DAs who have pushed for no-cash bail and ROR’ing repeat violent offenders need to answer to the multitude of victims that have died or been injured by criminals who belong in jail. Soros backed DAs can go to hell.

You should be upset at the state of Texas for not creating more judgeships to handle the increased case load that comes with population growth. The state literally cannot hold these people.

Your antisemitic meme and frustration towards the DA is misplaced, they're just at the bottom of the hill that the shit flows down

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You should be upset at the state of Texas for not creating more judgeships to handle the increased case load that comes with population growth. The state literally cannot hold these people.

Your antisemitic meme and frustration towards the DA is misplaced, they're just at the bottom of the hill that the shit flows down

anti-Semitic. Give me a fucking break. Who the fuck do you think is funding the campaigns for these progressive DAs and the nationwide push for no-cash bail? It’s coming primarily from one source — Soros. You have no problem tagging the Koch brothers or Adelson for the crap they are pushing for. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

anti-Semitic. Give me a fucking break. Who the fuck do you think is funding the campaigns for these progressive DAs and the nationwide push for no-cash bail? It’s coming primarily from one source — Soros. You have no problem tagging the Koch brothers or Adelson for the crap they are pushing for. 

This is literally not true, Soros donated to Ogg's opponent. 

https://thetexan.news/elections/2024/soros-funded-pac-hidalgo-support-democratic-primary-challenger-to-harris-county-district-attorney-kim-ogg/article_6cbc9ccc-b70c-11ee-a233-7f288b1a7577.html

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Does that do anything to materially change his complaint about bail reform?  Isn't ending the cash bail system what law and order types are against?  

From the article:

Teare’s reports also show coordination with the Texas Organizing Project, a criminal justice reform group that often posts bail for suspects and supports candidates who will work to end the cash bail system.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/politics/election-2024/2024/03/01/479391/kim-ogg-attacking-sean-teare-for-accepting-donations-from-george-soros-took-donations-from-soros-in-2016/#:~:text=According to campaign finance records,Ogg's first run for DA.

According to campaign finance records from the Texas Secretary of State's Office, in October 2016, George Soros donated $740,000 to the political action committee Texas Safety & Justice. The PAC used $550,000 of that to fund Kim Ogg's first run for DA.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

57 year old black male.  Convicted felon.  Indicted for aggravated assault the day before he murdered Jeff.  Out on bond.

Perp has lived all over the country.  I just ran his Harris County records.  Plenty of hits.

Disgusting.  I'll post his name once he is arrested. 

Jesus Christ.

Sadly I assumed the bolded above.  Anyone that would shoot and kill someone over a fucking McDonald's refund needs to be removed from the planet.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Non-CR thread.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

53 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Way to fuck up a discussion. Do you talk politics at weddings and funerals?

• Hook 'Em 4

Charges have been filed against a suspect wanted in the fatal shooting of a man at 8147 Katy Freeway (West Interstate Highway 10) service road about 6 p.m. on May 4.

The suspect, Anthony Martin Landry, 57, is charged with murder in the 209th State District Court. A prior booking photo of Landry, who is not in custody, is attached to this news release.

The victim is identified as Jeffrey Limmer, 46

HPD Homicide Division Detectives H. Martinez and S. Chettrey reported:

HPD patrol officers responded to a shooting at a restaurant at the above address and found an unknown male unresponsive with multiple gunshot wounds. Houston Fire Department paramedics responded to the scene and pronounced the man, later identified as Mr. Limmer, deceased.

The suspect fled the scene in an early 2000s blue Ford pickup truck.

A preliminary investigation indicated Limmer was shot by the suspect after a verbal disagreement.

Further investigation identified Landry as the suspect in this case and, on Wednesday (May 8), was charged with murder. Landry remains at-large.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Anthony Martin Landry or in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or speak anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

• Rage+1 1

Unless Anthony dies in a suicide by cop situation, sounds like he will be in Huntsville for the remainder of his life. Looks like he should have been there prior to taking out a valuable member of our community.

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned this has the stink of Art Acevedo all over it. 

Houston mayor says police chief is out amid probe into thousands of dropped cases

https://apnews.com/article/houston-police-chief-resigns-rapes-uninvestigated-fdb590e799793991cecc63183955d29a

HOUSTON (AP) — Houston’s mayor has replaced the city’s police chief, saying Wednesday it was the best thing for a law enforcement agency that’s still under intense scrutiny over why hundreds of thousands of cases were never investigated, including more than 4,000 sexual assault allegations.

Mayor John Whitmire said he did not push out former Police Chief Troy Finner but accepted his retirement as the police department needed to move forward under new leadership.

During a news conference, Whitmire said the ongoing investigation and questions of what Finner knew and when were having a cumulative impact “on the morale in the department, the focus of the officers and the confidence that Houstonians need to have in their police department.”

Whitmire, who took office in January, had expressed confidence in Finner after the chief revealed in February that more than 264,000 incident reports in the past eight years were never submitted for investigation as officers assigned them an internal code that cited a lack of available personnel.

Finner had said he ordered his command staff in a November 2021 meeting to stop using it after learning of its existence. Despite this, he said, he learned on Feb. 7 of this year that it was still being used to dismiss a significant number of adult sexual assault cases.

READ MORE

Whitmire’s confidence in Finner seemed to quickly end this week after Houston television stations reported Tuesday that Finner had been informed about the dismissed incident reports in a 2018 email.

Whitmire called the discovery of the email the “final straw.”

“The bottom line is the department is being distracted due to issues with the investigation ... from its primary mission of fighting crime,” Whitmire told city council members. He appointed assistant Chief Larry Satterwhite as acting chief.

In a late Wednesday afternoon post on the social platform X, Finner did not address his sudden retirement. He called the last few months of his career “the most challenging” and “painful” because “some victims of violent crime did not receive the quality care and service they deserved.” 

“But, it was beneficial because we implemented measures to ensure this never happens again,” Finner said on the platform formerly known as Twitter. “Our department and our profession will be better because of it.”

During a news conference Wednesday afternoon, Satterwhite was asked by reporters about when he first learned that cases were being dismissed because of a lack of personnel.

Satterwhite, who has been with the police department for 34 years, said he briefly attended the November 2021 meeting where Finner told his command staff to stop using the code but left as he was focused on other duties. Satterwhite said that sometime in late 2023 or earlier this year, he might have heard something about the code related to a specific case but it wasn’t until later that he learned of the magnitude of the problem.

“We as an agency … on this one failed,” Satterwhite said.

Satterwhite said becoming acting chief has been difficult under these circumstance as he and Finner are longtime friends and attended the police academy together.

“I’m going to do my best to make it better and then we shall see,” Satterwhite said.

Finner had apologized in March about the use of the internal code to dismiss the incident reports and had said he would be transparent and truthful in the ongoing investigation.

Regarding the 2018 email made public this week, Finner posted a statement on X saying he did not remember that email until he was shown a copy of it on Tuesday. 

“Even though the phrase ‘suspended lack of personnel’ was included in the 2018 email, there was nothing that alerted me to its existence as a code or how it was applied within the department,” Finner wrote.

Several city council members on Wednesday expressed gratitude for Finner, who joined the Houston police department in 1990 and became chief in 2021. City Councilor Carolyn Evans-Shabazz said she misses him already.

“His efforts have significantly contributed to our community’s safety and wellbeing,” Evans-Shabazz said.

After Finner made public the department’s use of the internal code to dismiss these cases, Whitmire launched a review by an independent panel. Whitmire said he hoped the panel could provide a public update next week.

The Houston Area Women’s Center, Houston’s largest non-profit supporting victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, declined to comment Wednesday on Finner’s retirement. But in a social media post in February, it said sexual assault survivors “pay a high price” when investigations aren’t clearly resolved.

Police departments around the country are facing an urgent staffing crisis as many younger officers resign and older officers retire, according to an August report by the Police Executive Research Forum. Applications to fill vacancies plummeted amid a national reckoning over how police respond to minorities.

An April 27 report by the same Washington-based think tank found more encouraging numbers.

“Small and medium agencies now have more sworn officers than they had in January 2020,” according to the forum’s report. “In large agencies, sworn staffing slightly increased during 2023, but it is still more than 5% below where it was in January 2020.”